Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

So, I voted for 2 GOPers today. There were 3 of them running unopposed (fu Georgia...). After doing a write in for Meryl Streep on the first one, I figured I was just holding up the line and gave in. After years of splitting my votes between Libertarian and Republican candidates, I voted against every Repub possible.

1 minute ago, Larry said:

"Those rankings of ease of voting are unfairly biased in favor of ease of voting".  

the weight they assign each matters, they even admit it

They analyzed the impact of 33 different variables dealing with registration and voting laws, with differences in registration deadlines carrying the most weight.

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

The tiny country of Estonia somehow figured out a secure way of online voting in response to Russian election interference. 

Voting should be done through an app. We can make it happen, but as usual, there is little to no political will to do good civic programs anywhere in this country.

Hell no.  You would never convince me it can't be hacked.  Also, it compromises the idea of a secret ballot.

I say we go the other way.  Get rid of the electronics.  There's nothing wrong with good old paper and pen. 

1 minute ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I say we go the other way.  Get rid of the electronics.  There's nothing wrong with good old paper and pen. 

My election's technology:  

Paper ballot.  

Sharpie

Stick the ballot in a reader.

Reader dings when it accepts the ballot.  

I even had a malfunction when I voted.  The sharpie ran out of ink.  

(Now, this year, there was one change.  Instead of a thick computer printout of who's registered, they had a tablet where the election worker typed in my name.  And I "signed" the tablet.)  

48 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Where I live (Sacramento, CA) there is pretty much a polling place tucked into every single neighborhood, whether it is a library, a school, apartment complex lobby. I finally voted early via mail this time, but most of the time I could get to my polling place with no issues and get in & out relatively quick.   That is how it should (not is) be for everyone, give or take, depending on size/population of the city. 

The polling station at the university’s student center was restricted to three days of early voting, compared with two weeks in some other parts of the county — and two weeks at majority-white Texas A&M in a nearby county.

Restrictions on voting, virtually all imposed by Republicans, reflect rising partisanship, societal shifts producing a more diverse America, and the weakening of the Voting Rights Act by the Supreme Court in 2013.

In North Dakota, Republicans passed an ID law that disproportionally affected Native Americans, strong supporters of the state’s Democratic senator, Heidi Heitkamp, who is in an uphill fight. In Florida, New Hampshire, Texas and Wisconsin, among others, out-of-state university students face unusual hurdles to casting ballots.

Voting-rights advocates in Missouri are arguing in court that the state underfunded efforts to educate residents on a voter ID law. In North Carolina, the legislature’s regulation of early-voting hours has shuttered polling places across the state, even as it purports to increase voting opportunities.

Nathaniel Persily, a Stanford University law professor and elections scholar, said what was going on reflected a shift from a belief in shared rules of democracy toward one that sees elections as struggles for power “in which you need to push up against the rules to win.”

He added, “We’ve reached a situation in which the fight over the rules and who gets to vote is seen as a legitimate part of electoral competition.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/us/politics/voting-suppression-elections.html

33 minutes ago, twa said:

I think their rankings are faulty and biased towards same day registration and no ID.

it ain't hard at all to vote/register here, we even let felons vote after time served 

They care greatly about the ID issue and how long you register before election. 

Never had a problem with either. 

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

My election's technology:  

Paper ballot.  

Sharpie

Stick the ballot in a reader.

Reader dings when it accepts the ballot.  

I even had a malfunction when I voted.  The sharpie ran out of ink.  

(Now, this year, there was one change.  Instead of a thick computer printout of who's registered, they had a tablet where the election worker typed in my name.  And I "signed" the tablet.)  

That's what mine was. And it had an error  (said wrong way way even though I was told it didn't matter which way I put it in when I asked). At least it didn't error on the most important page

I heard a breakdown of why the Dems taking the house would be a big deal behind the scenes, because of all the things they would be in charge in.  A lot of stuff that never gets covered in the cable news worlds. Things like heads of committees, subpoena power, appointing people to different things.  A radio host played the audio clip, I believe it was Maddow I was hearing.  She made a pretty compelling argument as to why it matters a lot more than people think and that "stopping Trump's agenda" is merely one aspect of what taking the House back allows.

Now, if a Dem House causes the GOP to reevaluate their actions, that would be a really terrific thing.  

But I don't see it happening.  I think "Hey, now we can screw up the country, and claim that the Dems did it" is a far more likely reaction.  

I don't think the Dems are going to go crazy with anything if they take back the house, honestly.  In fact I think they will go back to being their normal bland wimpy selves.  Now if something presents itself, like a Mueller investigation smoking gun that is a different story, but otherwise going on the attack doesn't seem to be in line with how the current Democratic party works once elected.  

I think there is a comfy spot in between doing nothing and "going full crazy mode with investigations, subpoenas, impeachment etc"

If the Republicans can investigate Benghazi 12 times, I don't think people* will look twice at reasonably-framed investigations into the Trump family's conduct.

*Of course, Trump's base will scream bloody murder no matter what, but **** them. 

Archived