Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2018 Thread (An Adult Finally Has the Gavel)

PleaseBlitz

At 7:45 in Ashburn, my polling place was the busiest I've ever seen it, but moved very quickly. The parking lot was full, and you had to wait a few tens of seconds to park.

Hopefully turnout is up everywhere to take a proper pulse of the nation ... either way.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This should be a national holiday.  And it should be accompanied by celebrations like it was in the 19th century.  Democracy participation should be incentivized and celebrated.  I will gladly trade Columbus Day for an Election Day holiday.

Think technically only one we can't move to the weekend because of the constitution is the presidential.  Should be celebrated, should be a day off, but unless it's a holiday treated like Christmas or something people still have to go to work, ya know what in sayin?

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If only US citizens can vote why are we making our ballots like we're trying to cover our bases at the DMV?

No ****. Our drivers test here is in 8 languages. Last time I checked, street signs are written in one.?

And the last time I was in traffic court, the judge made sure everyone that needed one had an interpreter. 

(I'm not in the anti-immigrant camp, but a driver's license is a privilege for a citizen. )

I voted. A lot of the local races (judges, county commissioners) only had Republican candidates. Been that way last few elections, but still surprising given Southern MD's perpetual landslide support for Steny Hoyer.

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

Straight Dem ticket for me, Kaine and Connolly.

Straight Dem until civility and normalcy is restored to the country.

Unfortunately it will likely get worse before it gets better if the Democrats win the House.

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

No ****. Our drivers test here is in 8 languages. Last time I checked, street signs are written in one.?

And the last time I was in traffic court, the judge made sure everyone that needed one had an interpreter. 

(I'm not in the anti-immigrant camp, but a driver's license is a privilege for a citizen. )

Is there a noncitizen license?  To make it work some of them have to drive, fine with that, think that's far different then voting.  Voting is for US citizens only, so of you need a waiver to get out the English test to get citizenship, why is the ballot in multiple languages? Sample ballots, fine, but actual ballot?

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You gotta :751: that **** beforehand. 

I did, used to having to do that, asking why items written like that because its dumb : )

51 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Anyone run into any long lines yet?

Longest line I’ve seen in the last two elections at my new home’s polling place.  Took me about 10-15 mins but that was at 6:15 am.  My wife went at 7:00 and took her like 4 mins.

23 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Unfortunately it will likely get worse before it gets better if the Democrats win the House.

Im ok with that

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Have ya'll looked up who you are voting for or going straight ticket?  I only got two, I'm fine with the representative, I wanted more details, he seems like a centrist and supports MFA.  I wish they didn't phrase these questions like doctorate level writing prompts, though, who writes those damn things?

I haven't voted yet, but the only real "decision" I have to make is Kaine-Stewart and I'm not voting for an asshole like Corey Stewart.  Fun fact, I actually met the guy once, before he became...well, what he is now.  Or at least as vocal about it.

Where I live, Don Beyer basically owns the seat and it doesn't really matter who the R challenger is.

For me, the most interesting thing (besides the overall direction of the country) are the amendments and bond questions.

In 2016 my polling place in a rural area in a swing state had a line down the "block" at 7 am. I knew it would be a bad sign for Dems. In 2008 and 2012 minimal lines when the polls opened.

Today, there was no line and the Trumpista's at work haven't seemed fired up about voting this year. Maybe it's a good sign.

Here's a fun little history lesson for you all to consider on election day that should give you reason number 5,846,702 to not vote Republican:

- China is the world's oldest continuous culture.  It's history offers many lessons for other civilizations because they've gone through almost everything.

- China has two distinct golden age periods in their history which occurred during the Han Dynasty (~200 BC to ~200 AD) and during the Tang Dynasty (~600 AD to ~900 AD).  These were three to four century periods of widespread prosperity, justice, and the flowering of Chinese culture, technology, and civilization.

- Both of these dynasties collapsed as a direct result of ruinous taxation policy.  The imperial governments granted tax exemptions to the wealthy landowners to curry favor and pursue self interest even as the costs of their empire grew, placing an ever increasing tax burden on the peasantry who came to control an ever decreasing share of the land and wealth of the society.

- This led to peasant revolts, the collapse of single rule in China, foreign invasions, and centuries of ghastly civil wars that reset China's civilization and required hundreds of years to recover from.

- America has just passed the 400 year mark of our civilization.  After a rough start and two brief periods of revolutionary and civil warfare, we've basically enjoyed a three hundred year long period of prosperity and the continuous expansion of wealth, culture, and territory.  We're now to the point where we take our prosperity and superiority for granted, much like the Chinese did during the height of the Tang and Han dynasties.  How about we learn from their catastrophic mistakes and not end up the way they did?

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

How about we learn from their catastrophic mistakes and not end up the way they did?

People dont think like that because were constantly drilled about the next election instead of the next century.  History needs to be up there with English, Math, and STEM, I dont think you can be an informed voter without it, the context is jus too important to keep ignoring.

Archived