Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan likes to say the Redskins would be a perfect study for some business school students about how an owner-manager can wreck a brand -- turn off and ultimately lose a loyal customer base.  

It really is quite amazing when you think about. Unfortunately, we’ve all been in the front row of that business class the last 20 years.😂🤪

Here’s my issue with Urban as GM. We know Kyle Smith is a keeper. We know he is driven, young, and able to find talent everywhere in the draft. We also know his name is getting out there. If we bring in another GM that is not Kyle, I see him getting an offer For a better position elsewhere within 2 years.

When you know you have something, don’t dilly dally. Lock it up. We let McVay go under the exact same circumstances because of a false belief that Gruden and Bruce could make it work. 

If you want to bring in Urban as HC. Great. But I think Kyle should have a real shot at it. Guys can go to lead scout to GM Very Quickly when they land #1 wr in the 3rd, starting qb in the middle of the first without moving assets, and multiple starters across the board from the 2nd/3rd days of the draft. If he knocks this draft out of the park, he’s going to get a job offer. It’s a guarantee. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've read a lot about McClay over the years.  The picture painted is he's their Kyle Smith with both pro and college personnel.   So he has the Scot McCloughan role.  And Jerry's son supposedly has gotten Jerry to back off and trust McClay.  For example, supposedly Jerry didn't want Frederick or Martin in the draft and had other players in mind but he let it go.

It's far from a perfect situation but Jerry's meddlesome ways is supposedly more with coaching, contracts than personnel these days.   If you research McClay he's like a God to Cowboy fans.

Agree, I've made the same point before.  According to some this has been Bruce's influence as to feeding into the media is evil and being a recluse is fine.  Dan was more accessible with Vinny.

Under Vinny he did pressers from what I recall before every draft at least for a spell.

Bruce was awful though in that press conference IMO.   The kicker for me was when he was asked about accountability for the last 10 years he basically threw that back on Doug-Kyle.  That's his go to answer, I am not to blame, I'll tell you who to blame.  He does it in a Machiavellian way where it looks like he's complementing said people but what he's doing is saying hey i know you guys don't like me and the fans blame me but they are blaming the wrong guy.

Laconfora said it well today which is Bruce's press conferences should be shown to media students as a perfect clinic about what not to do.  I am in the business where there are plenty of press conferences and I've seen plenty of them.  Bruce is atrocious in those settings.  He's a mixture of showing almost no accountability, he's patronizing to fans (I think unintentionally on that front, I am guessing he thinks we are all stupid), and he has his share of malapropisms and dumb statements as the icing on the cake. 

He's a walking soundbite but that's in the worst way in that he makes the perfect soundbites that serve as fodder to make the organization look incompetent and out of touch.    Vinny wasn't a smooth speaker.  But the dude spoke a lot more than Bruce and still didn't make the same number of dumb comments. 

I am not a big Louis Reddick guy.  But man would he improve these press conferences.  Reddick is much quicker on his feet and can read an audience miles better than Bruce.

Agree.  And it's beyond the media.  Supposedly Dan is borderline reclusive with his fellow owners, too.  Bruce is his spokesman there and heck often goes to owner meetings to represent Dan (without Dan being present. 

Bruce insulted the fans badly when asked about the stadium being full with opponents fans by saying that Redskins fans made a good buck off of out of town fans. **** him.

The thing about a GM job is that you never truly know how someone is going to do, until they get the job.   When the 49ers hired John Lynch as their GM, I don't think anyone could have predicted he would have done so much so quick. He had to have sold himself really well and then put his head down and gone to work. 

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Here’s my issue with Urban as GM. We know Kyle Smith is a keeper. We know he is driven, young, and able to find talent everywhere in the draft. We also know his name is getting out there. If we bring in another GM that is not Kyle, I see him getting an offer For a better position elsewhere within 2 years.

When you know you have something, don’t dilly dally. Lock it up. We let McVay go under the exact same circumstances because of a false belief that Gruden and Bruce could make it work. 

If you want to bring in Urban as HC. Great. But I think Kyle should have a real shot at it. Guys can go to lead scout to GM Very Quickly when they land #1 wr in the 3rd, starting qb in the middle of the first without moving assets, and multiple starters across the board from the 2nd/3rd days of the draft. If he knocks this draft out of the park, he’s going to get a job offer. It’s a guarantee. 

I'm not saying it's my #1 choice...

But a structure that looks like this wouldn't be the end of the world to me, and would be fascinating at least:

Team President of Football Operations:

Urban Meyer

GM with roster control:

Kyle Smith

HC with say on coaching staff: 

Ryan Day

That's potentially exciting. Meyer as the perpetually successful CEO type who structures and sets an example for the organization from the top down and crafts a culture and FO environment that resembles a consistent winner? That's in his wheelhouse and less stressful on his health than coaching (and I'm not sure he's a difference-maker as a coach at the NFL level anyways--his leadership skills and organizational prowess can be better utilized as the top delegator imo). That, and he's already friendly enough with Snyder to run interference and be his buddy when required, while being respected in the football world and a proven winner (the only type of guy that Snyder steps back for). 

Smith gets the top personnel gig, the title, the autonomy to build the roster in a healthier environment while making the big bucks, getting the credit, and hiring his ideal scouting staff using his rep and his father's rep around the league. Meyer knows the importance of getting the right players in the building as it's the biggest part of building successful programs as a college coach...and while he can't recruit the same way in the NFL, he can invest similarly prioritized resources into player acquisitions in the form of the scouting staff, both college and pro, and an analytics department. 

Day I know less about as a HC candidate, and is probably the biggest flier here...but it seems like he could be a package deal with Meyer and he's familiar with Haskins. That's not a reason alone to hire him, which would be backwards, but it's certainly a positive when you're already talking about Meyer running the building. 

This is something that would at least be interesting, and not ass backwards from the jump. 

11 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'm not saying it's my #1 choice...

But a structure that looks like this wouldn't be the end of the world to me, and would be fascinating at least:

Team President of Football Operations:

Urban Meyer

GM with roster control:

Kyle Smith

HC with say on coaching staff: 

Ryan Day

Very possible with the latest we've heard and seen from the Redskin's Sports Beat media.  I could live with it.  Two people to me who are an absolute must stay are Kyle Smith as GM and Eric Schaffer as our Cap guru.   

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Because of what?

What have either done that everybody knows that they are responsible for?

Schaffer has handled the books well.  He's a well respected cap guru and known around the league.  IMO, Kyle Smith has done a great job with the players he's selected or had great input on.  He knows talent.  The talent he has selected needs to be coached up.  I put it on the coaches as to why this team is where it is.  

Admittedly I don’t know enough about Day, so I don’t have a great opinion there. But I’m a bit hesitant to give the keys to a coach with no nfl coaching experience. In addition, he really doesn’t seem like he’s leaving OSU any time soon with the efforts he’s making to appeal to recruits.  

That being said, I could most certainly get behind a staff of Urban/Smith. I could even get behind KO as the coach. But that’s only if the backbone of the FO is in place; which I think Urban/Smith ( and Allen’s banishment) would accomplish. 

Kevin O'Connell as the HC would be beyond deflating. He's shown nothing at all, really. This would be the definition of status quo no matter who the GM is--I wouldn't believe that GM had full decision-making power if O'Connell was the guy they tied their wagon to. Sounds more like the type of hiring you'd find in my nightmares about Riddick or someone like that being named GM, a money-saving and pointless yes man hire. 

I would agree that KO hasn’t shown enough to land the position. But he has shown great synergy with Dwayne, and has brought him along nicely since his first spell in relief earlier this year. Just saying it’s not the worst thing to keep that going.

I’m on record for Rex/Smith if we land at the no. 2 pick, as I think Rex can make a lethal defense with chase young and our current roster. But I would also be fine with Urban or Day. As long as they don’t try and change offensive terminologies and philosophies too much so early in Haskins’ development. Else he ends up like Rosen. 

My vote is for Kyle Smith as the GM. Honestly I don't care about the other positions that get filled. I think Smith has put in his time and as I look at his picks, they're developing and forming a nice core for us. Even the ones who won't be here next year or who are limited players like Stroman impressed me. He and Santos have shown me that they can help rebuild this team. 

What I'm afraid of is that we're going to bring in somebody and like most GMs (heck, like Bruce did), they're going to tear up the roster and bring in "their guys" and all this promise we're seeing from the lower round guys and UDFAs like Roullier, Sims, Dunbar, Moreland, Johnson, etc will be thrown away and we'll have to start over again with a guy who may be good and may not be. 

Ideally I'd want KOC to stay in some role here, be it as a head guy or as an OC. I'm less excited about him being a HC because I don't know if he'd lea Jay or Call (or another of his previous coaches he worked under), But a Rex or a Marvin Lewis or a Gregg Williams could help turn this defense around. I wonder about Marvin though - how involved would he be in the defense, and how have his coordinators been outside of Zimmer? But whoever we get I just hope they can command the room, but also know how to use their players. 

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

I'm guessing that Lombardi is referencing Allen as he was a punter drafted by the Baltimore Colts in the day.

Yes he is, and somehow that's a bit insulting to our Punter Tress Way. 

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Kevin O'Connell as the HC would be beyond deflating. He's shown nothing at all, really. This would be the definition of status quo no matter who the GM is--I wouldn't believe that GM had full decision-making power if O'Connell was the guy they tied their wagon to. Sounds more like the type of hiring you'd find in my nightmares about Riddick or someone like that being named GM, a money-saving and pointless yes man hire. 

I agree that O'Connell doesn't look like a the best hire for now, but he seemed to gain some power regarding playcalling lately, and our offense was funnier to watch these last games. So he seems to be improving fast and well. Which is a good sign.

9 hours ago, tshile said:

You mean our local beat reporters are speaking ambiguously and hedging bets?

that doesn’t sound like them

In their defense do you always make up your mind and stick to that decision-thought for a month without wavering?  Often probably yes but I doubt always.   Like Keim said based on what he's hearing right now he's out.  But sometimes when he hears smoke it doesn't always bear out.  I don't see that as hedging bets, to me that's just citing human nature. 

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

My vote is for Kyle Smith as the GM. Honestly I don't care about the other positions that get filled. I think Smith has put in his time and as I look at his picks, they're developing and forming a nice core for us. Even the ones who won't be here next year or who are limited players like Stroman impressed me. He and Santos have shown me that they can help rebuild this team. 

He'd be my vote, too. 

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

I'm guessing that Lombardi is referencing Allen as he was a punter drafted by the Baltimore Colts in the day.

Yep that's what he typically calls him now, just says the punter. 

Replace Gettleman with an analytics-driven GM

Armed with roughly $85.6 million in cap space and a draft pick as high as No. 2 overall, a new general manager would have a wealth of resources to drag the Giants, seemingly stuck in the past, into 2020.

Gettleman famously mocked the use of analytics and positional value when he chose running back Saquon Barkley No. 2 overall, without even listening to a trade offer from the Jets that would have allowed the Giants to stockpile draft picks while moving back one spot. Well, at 3-11, who’s laughing now? Mara should replace Gettleman with a GM who embraces analytics and comes from an organization with a track record of success.

Possible candidates:

Ed Dodds, Indianapolis Colts assistant general manager

Few teams have drafted as well along the offensive line or defensively than the Colts, who have added All-Pro guard Quenton Nelson, linebacker Darius Leonard guard Braden Smith and cornerback Rock Ya-Sin over the past two years. As Bleacher Report points out, Dodds is known as a top talent evaluator. The Colts compete with a balance of solid scouting and analytics, which would be a welcomed blend for the Giants, given their young talent and draft assets.

If the Giants fire Gettleman, Dodds should be the first call that Mara makes.

Nick Caserio, New England Patriots assistant general manager

The Giants could try to poach one of Bill Belichick’s top lieutenants. Patriots assistant GM Nick Caserio is in the final year of his contract and is a frequent keynote speaker at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics conference, so he would bring a forward-thinking approach to the Giants’ front office.

...Draft Ohio State edge rusher Chase Young

Remember when the Giants -- season after season -- had one of the fiercest pass rushes in the NFL? Don’t overthink this. If the Giants are choosing No. 2 overall, the pick has to be Young.

Young -- a generational talent in the vein of former Buckeyes Nick and Joey Bosa -- has the potential to make an immediate impact on a tragically feeble pass rush. This season alone, Young has 44 tackles, 16.5 sacks and six forced fumbles.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/12/nfl-rumors-here-is-a-blueprint-for-john-mara-to-fix-giants-return-to-playoffs-in-2020-around-daniel-jones-saquon-barkley.html

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I agree.  He's not ready right now and not what this team needs but here's a good read on him.

Archived