Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

8 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

I don’t think Dan’s worried about losing Bruce’s friendship.  He might be worried about losing momentum for a new stadium. If Dan was that worried about friendship, Bruce would still be sitting in the box after games.

Maybe but its all speculation.  Who knows if Dan has cut Bruce off completely, for all we know they still might be having their nightly drinking sessions at Redskins Park.

I know some here give reporters a hard time for not nailing it with Dan but the problem with Dan is as far as I can tell you have to to guess with him because he doesn't talk and his circle is really small.

It's not hard to deduce that the beat guys simply have sources in the FO that speculate based on their own observations as opposed to being in the loop with Dan.   And then you add most saying Dan is impulsive and can change his mind.  So that makes guessing what Dan is going to do difficult at times.

As for the stadium, yeah plenty have suggested that's likely part of the soup.  Loverro who fished around on this recently said what he's learned from poking around with DC politicians that it's not going well or anywhere close if DC is the goal.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe but its all speculation.  Who knows if Dan has cut Bruce off completely, for all we know they still might be having their nightly drinking sessions at Redskins Park.

Brucie with his Coors Light and Danny with his Ovaltine.

8 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I remember all the rumors about Dan being broke and that being a reason to sell the team. I didn't buy into them but I kept my hope, and before I had kids i did my best not to buy Redskins gear or go to games or do a lot that would directly put money into Dan's pocket, hoping that it would help him sell the team. 

Now there are reports about Dan "losing" money. That's not exactly what's going on because he's still making money, but the stadium is empty and he's not getting stuff off things like jersey sales and food and drinks and concessions from the stadium so that means he's not making as much money as he should be making. And one thing I have to account for in my meetings is not necessarily "how much did we make" but more like how much did we make in comparison to how much we were expected to make and how much we could have made. 

And then I think about the personality on this guy and I think he's not built for the limelight. C'mon - he sued a paper for making him with horns? He doesn't like getting talked about? He's afraid of negative press. That means he likes the Vinny's and Bruce's but it also means that something like #SellTheTeam or #FireBruceAllen or whatever else people come up with do impact him because he wants to be liked, or doesn't like being disliked. 

All this adding up, I can see him selling the team because its wearing on him. This was his dream and its turned into a nightmare for him. Supposedly he went to Gruden and Scot (on different occasions) and told them that he was tired of losing. Supposedly he went to Jerrah and told him that drinking is how you deal with losing. 

I'll say at least there is some optimism and a whit of smoke that its possible.  Previously, we kept hearing embrace King Dan for life because he's going nowhere.  Probably the best gossip report I heard was the one from the Junkies where a caller called in and said they are close with someone who works for an organization that helps companies sell and Dan inquired there about selling.  And they said they heard Dan is a bit cash poor (relative to billionaires) and has had to borrow recently to cover operating costs.  Who knows if true?  But it's fun to think it's at least possible.

IMO its likely a now (next few years) or never proposition with Dan.  If there is a prayer for it to happen we got the perfect storm.  Fan attendance and TV ratings sinking.  And he's got a major need for a stadium for obvious reasons.  I talked about it on this thread last year and that is I had one conversation with Lafemina and he knew that a new stadium is an absolute must if they want to have a chance with bringing fans back. 

If Dan struggles with the stadium, I wonder what that does?    Both Loverro and Liz Clark who seem to be the main ones covering the story don't think the Redskins land the stadium.  On the other hand, Bruce said months ago he thinks it goes down this year before the 2020 season.  Now, that can be a Bruce pie in the sky "we are close" type of narrative with no substance behind it.   Will see.  But if Loverro and Clark end up right, it wouldn't shock me if Dan gets desperate. 

5 minutes ago, posse87 said:

Odd fact, ESPN just reported that Bruce Allen decides when to throw the challenge flag. How weird. It’s like when they reported there would be a committee to decide the starting QB. Completely whacky 

Wasnt brucie kinda calling plays a little here n there.?

16 minutes ago, posse87 said:

Odd fact, ESPN just reported that Bruce Allen decides when to throw the challenge flag. How weird. It’s like when they reported there would be a committee to decide the starting QB. Completely whacky 

Yeah, that originally came out a couple years ago when I think Gruden explained it.  Ir maybe it was Bruce that revealed it.  Either way, I remember people were like "what??"  lol

Now, somebody upstairs reviewing challengable calls isnt crazy on its face, but the team president doing it seemed weird.

Guarantee these are purposeful leaks to local media to gauge fan reaction of a potential "reassignment", given the loud discontent aimed directly towards Bruce. The fanbase needs to keep making it clear that this type of action isn't enough. He needs to be gone or no one will buy it. 

9 hours ago, zskins said:

"Team president Bruce Allen says fans can expect more information about a new Washington Redskins stadium in the next year, as the team preps for a post-FedEx Field world in 2027.

A timeline for a new Redskins stadium, according to a radio interview with Allen, calls for a decision on a facility sometime in 2022 and a new stadium opening for the 2027 NFL season, after the FedEx Field lease expires. The team has been focused on a new facility, not a renovation of FedEx Field."

So the question is: Is Bruce axed after 2022 then? Probably not. Maybe this is why Bruce might be re-assigned to a non-football operation part of the Team. The new GM reports to Dan and not Bruce. It could still work out. 

I dont know anything about trying to get a stadium built, but saying there wont be a decision until 2 years from now, without indicating what the holdup is, seems like stalling.  They've been at this for years already.

16 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Guarantee these are purposeful leaks to local media to gauge fan reaction of a potential "reassignment", given the loud discontent aimed directly towards Bruce. The fanbase needs to keep making it clear that this type of action isn't enough. He needs to be gone or no one will buy it. 

Yeah agree, reassignment to me is 100% BS.  At best, it's Bruce being in the building ready to undermine the new guy and take over when things inevitably go south.  At worst, Bruce will be the defacto guy in charge just like it was when Scot was here.

They were talking about it on Get Up this morning... Crazy.  

If you don't trust a coach to make challenge flag decisions... why is he coaching at all.

I've decided

for the good of this franchise, I will not watch another redskins game until the Bruce issue is dealt with.

I love you all, and I love our history, but my enough meter just hit full.

(The video of him in the box almost looked like, he had just called a challenge in and was saying 'see this is the great culture I was talking about')

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I dont know anything about trying to get a stadium built, but saying there wont be a decision until 2 years from now, without indicating what the holdup is, seems like stalling.  They've been at this for years already.

I see where you're coming from, I kind of agree.  However I don't think these things can just be decided that quickly.  

I'm fine with them keeping Bruce IF he can deliver a new stadium AND (most importantly) he is kept way the **** far away from the roster and any other decision making about coaching staffs.  If all he has to do is to get us a nice new stadium and get us out of the dump that is Fed Ex, great.  That's fine.  

The one thing I don't understand in regards to Bruce...well, wait, there's plenty I don't understand...but one of the big things I don't understand is that much has been made about him getting a new stadium.  I mean, it's not like Dan is inept (in certain areas, yes) but...who wouldn't take Dan Snyder's call to move the team but work with Bruce instead?  Dan might not be liked but I do believe people would deal with him if it meant getting the team moved to a favorable area.  And in the end, really, you're dealing with Dan through Bruce.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is what special relationships does Bruce have with decision makers to get a stadium done that Dan doesn't have or Dan couldn't make?

17 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Then one thing I can't stand about all of this is the fact that Bruce isn't stepping down on his own. He knows he has lost the confidence of his customers and the players on his roster. He is undoubtedly in Dans pocket....or under his desk. 

It was Cooley who once said that you really can't blame Bruce, why would he relinquish power?  And he's right - it's up to Dan to make that call.

But to your point, I also agree.  I can't imagine how awful it must feel to preside over an organization that went from packed stadiums to damn near empty with the exception of opposing fans.  To see the fan base get #FireBruceAllen trending on twitter.  To get crushed relentlessly in the press and on the radio, including a 10 year anniversary roast of your employment.  At what point, do you just gracefully step down - at minimum to alleviate yourself from the constant bashing?  

38 minutes ago, dyst said:

My anger is with Dan. He is the prime idiot who is blind to every single thing. Honestly, you have to be an idiot to re-assign him instead of just removing him completely. 

I agree but I've ceded that Dan isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  The best we can hope for is that he gets rid of Bruce and Forrest Gumps his way into hiring someone competent to turn this thing around.

Allen in a couple of interviews suggested 2020 is when they'd say what they got cooking.  In 2018, he said he's ahead of schedule. According to some (granted not everyone) stadium expert types who have been quoted in different stadium articles think the Redskins are behind schedule.  It takes time to build a stadium.  The team hasn't even secured the location, yet.  After that you deal with the funding.  Then you got to build that thing.

Loverro and Liz Clarke poking around have said they aren't making much progress.  Bruce is suggesting otherwise.  It makes you wonder if this is Bruce's version of telling Dan we are close and keeps changing the goal posts.  Will see. 

Supposedly, Brian Lafemina has the expertise and experience as to getting stadiums.   It was pretty convenient for Bruce to knock out his only in house competition as to working the stadium which increased his value to Dan.  

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/26/bruce-allen-says-redskins-could-announce-stadium-p/

Bruce Allen says Redskins could announce stadium plans within a year

Allen: 'We'd love to have' President Trump at a game

By Adam Zielonka - The Washington Times - Friday, July 26, 2019

RICHMOND — Washington Redskins president Bruce Allen told WMAL’s “The Larry O’Connor Show” that the team could announce plans for a new stadium within the next year.

“I would say within a year, that is the timetable we’re looking at,” Allen said. “Our deadline for making a decision is really 2022, because our lease in Maryland ends in 2026.”

The Redskins have played at FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland, since 1997, making it one of the 10 oldest stadiums in the NFL. FedEx Field has drawn criticism from fans for a poor gameday experience and its out-of-the-way location in Prince George’s County.

https://footballstadiumdigest.com/2019/07/allen-expect-new-redskins-stadium-announcement-in-next-year/

Allen: Expect New Redskins Stadium Announcement in Next Year

Team president Bruce Allen says fans can expect more information about a new Washington Redskins stadium in the next year, as the team preps for a post-FedEx Field world in 2027.

A timeline for a new Redskins stadium, according to a radio interview with Allen, calls for a decision on a facility sometime in 2022 and a new stadium opening for the 2027 NFL season, after the FedEx Field lease expires. The team has been focused on a new facility, not a renovation of FedEx Field.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/nfl/bs-sp-redskins-stadium-20190729-o5ms6fq5vnd63ffkneim6wpsom-story.html

“As you can see with the teams that have done new stadiums, it’s for the next generation,” president Bruce Allen said in a sit-down interview with the Associated Press. “A stadium location and building is for the next 40 years — where you’re going to be and the home. It’s taken into account where technology is going and where people want to work, live and play in the same location. It’s critical. It’s critical for the way you’re going to present your team to your fans and how accessible you can be for your fans.”

Talks are ongoing with Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia on a new stadium that would replace FedEx Field when its lease expires in 2027. Sites near Dulles International Airport in Virginia, National Harbor in Maryland and RFK Stadium in D.C. are the leading candidates, though Allen was unwilling to publicly divulge who's likely to win the bidding process.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/where-should-redskins-build-their-new-stadium

Where should the Redskins build their new stadium?

After Bruce Allen said Monday that plans are ahead of schedule, Rob Carlin and Brian Mitchell discuss Tuesday night on STL where the Redskins should build their new stadium.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Stalling = Bruce. That is exactly what he is doing. Good way to keep your job. ;)

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It was Cooley who once said that you really can't blame Bruce, why would he relinquish power?  And he's right - it's up to Dan to make that call.

But to your point, I also agree.  I can't imagine how awful it must feel to preside over an organization that went from packed stadiums to damn near empty with the exception of opposing fans.  To see the fan base get #FireBruceAllen trending on twitter.  To get crushed relentlessly in the press and on the radio, including a 10 year anniversary roast of your employment.  At what point, do you just gracefully step down - at minimum to alleviate yourself from the constant bashing?  

That's sort of Chris Russell's point, he thinks Dan eventually throws in the towel.  His contention is Dan is more aware than fans think but Dan really really likes to have a friend in that building.  The Junkies joke about how Bruce is a paid friend essentially.    

The picture that's painted almost comes off like Redskins Park is almost like a college dorm for Dan with him and his pals having the maturity level too of college kids.   He had Vinny to pal around with.   To some extent Joe.  Then Portis.  Then RG3.   Now its Bruce.  Hopefully, Alex replaces Bruce so it allows Dan to let Bruce go.     

Paulsen thinks Bruce is out but also said that he heard from someone that Dan and Bruce were like two peas in a pod at the owners meetings.  Paulsen was on the Junkies talking about it but then the Junkies brought up that Dan didn't have Alex at the owners meetings so Dan didn't have him to play with so to speak so he needed someone.

I know there is hyperbole and speculation baked into a lot of this stuff.  But all you got to do is watch the youtube video of Dan bowling with RG3 along with a series of these social type stories (Dan going to Vegas with Portis, asking Shanny-Bruce to go to the Caribbean to celebrate the RG3 trade, etc) to get a picture painted that Dan's social life and all the teenager type backdrops behind some of these stories is at least part of the soup with how Dan rolls as an owner. 

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's sort of Chris Russell's point, he thinks Dan eventually throws in the towel.  His contention is Dan is more aware than fans think but Dan really really likes to have a friend in that building.  The Junkies joke about how Bruce is a paid friend essentially.    

I've made this argument before that I think Snyder is VERY aware.  The notion that he is oblivious to why the team sucks, what people are saying, or why the stadium is empty never made sense.  He knew.  IMO, that's why he stopped giving interviews.  

McShay said the obvious about Dwayne Haskins that owner Dan Snyder, for sure, loves him. When Patrick asked if the Redskins were sold on the rookie quarterback, McShay hesitated and said "it depends on who you're asking? The owner?" 

McShay mentioned he had not talked with Meyer just yet.

When the two discuss specifically coaching the Redskins - McShay lets loose. 

"I'd rather coach 31 other teams, let's put it that way," he  says at the end of the clip.  Patrick clarifies by asking, "than Washington?" McShay confirms his answer as "than Washington right now!"  

You don't have to take McShay's words as anything other than an opinion and you don't have to think it matters. 

It does to me because he has connections and some influence. He is directly saying to anyone who will listen publicly and privately, that the Redskins are a disaster and that he would do his best to convince any friend not to take the job unless the circumstances are different. 

The Redskins have been connected publicly with Meyer, Stanford's David Shaw and there's been speculation from our own Rick Snyder on Michigan's Jim Harbaugh and  while he hasn't been directly connected, Baylor's Matt Ruhle. 

Remember, McShay also knows plenty of NFL coaches and players as well. 

Do you really need anymore? Dan - the whole world is telling you what you already know Just do it and move on. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/redskins/news/mcshay-blasts-redskins-id-rather-coach-31-other-teams

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

“As you can see with the teams that have done new stadiums, it’s for the next generation,” president Bruce Allen said in a sit-down interview with the Associated Press. “A stadium location and building is for the next 40 years — where you’re going to be and the home.

Except if you're FedEx, then  it's a little more than half that. lol

Archived