Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

6 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

The fact that Snyder is undecided about Brucifer after all this time and 100 losses indicates he doesn't care one bit what any fans think. Either that, or he believes the fans chanting for Bruce's firing, or to sell the team, or holding up banners are all just trolls, which is what Bruce has been telling him for years. He seems content to wait until the team starts winning again and it doesn't seem to matter that if they win it will be an accident, and not resulting from good planning.

Who knows with Dan.  But if I had to guess what Dan is thinking on this front (based on some gossip type reports) -- he really really really likes Bruce.  He's had bromances with players and Vinny and Coach Joe over the years but his bromance with Bruce is off the charts.  They are/were inseparable.  So Dan doesn't want to get rid of Bruce.  If the fans weren't down on Bruce, I'd guess Dan would keep him in a heartbeat.  So Dan knows he has to let his BFF go but he is kicking and screaming at the thought.    

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Dan is not firing Bruce.  If he was going to do it there is literally no reason to wait.  He needs to rip the bandaid off if he's going to do it, but since he hasn't done it yet, he's not doing it.  No chance.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys.

If you point is zoned in on that point of firing over Bruce retiring I agree.   Most though are saying if Bruce is let go it won't be in a firing.  If that's the case no way he'd do it within season because you don't retire before the season ends. 

I think there is almost no chance Bruce gets fired.  I think it's either a resign, retire, reassign scenario.   I am cool with all of that aside from the reassign.  I don't care if Bruce "retires" as opposed to being canned 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

No, I think hope and pray that he had no impact. But the front office as constructed can put together a good team because they have. Actuallt we can say that FOs they Bruce constructed have put together good teams 3 times :2012, 2015 and now. But Bruce by himself ruined the first two and I'm confident he'd ruin this one. That's why I'm not in favor of him staying

2012 was good, no doubt about that.

2015 was average/slightly good and we got lucky due to crappy division to reach the playoffs.

Now? Damn, we're 3-11, so we are not good. We've got a good young nucleus of players this year, but let's not crown them yet. QB is still a major question mark for us, our supposedly franchise back is once again on IR, twice in 2 years, and we'll have tough decisions to make in the offseason. The team is fighting and showing some hope, but we're far from being good yet. And I'm pretty sure that if Jay wasn't canned after 0-5 we wouldn't sit here at 3-11 as well.

Had we have a competent GM at the helm and not fired our HC during the season, hope would be even better. But in our situation, I have to disagree here.

13 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Dan is not firing Bruce.  If he was going to do it there is literally no reason to wait.  He needs to rip the bandaid off if he's going to do it, but since he hasn't done it yet, he's not doing it.  No chance.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys.

Glad to hear you know EVERYTHING that goes on in the organization and when it best makes sense to fire Bruce Allen. Oh wait. You don’t 😂😂😂 so it’s just your GUESS that he won’t be going anywhere 🤷🏻‍♂️

The redskins are 3-11. Who the **** cares if he’s fired now, vs immediately following the final game? he can fire him (or Bruce can retire) right after that game, and Dan will still have enough time to “interview” Doug Williams, name Kyle Smith/whoever  the GM, then have that person find our head coach. No, the top head coaches aren’t going to be snatched up already, almost all teams who need a head coach don’t even really start their interviews until what, 5? 6 days after the season ends? 

Point is, it’s not the end of the world if he’s fired or retired immediately after week 17 game. 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Glad to hear you know EVERYTHING that goes on in the organization and when it best makes sense to fire Bruce Allen. Oh wait. You don’t 😂😂😂 so it’s just your GUESS that he won’t be going anywhere 🤷🏻‍♂️

The redskins are 3-11. Who the **** cares if he’s fired now, vs immediately following the final game? he can fire him (or Bruce can retire) right after that game, and Dan will still have enough time to “interview” Doug Williams, name Kyle Smith/whoever  the GM, then have that person find our head coach. No, the top head coaches aren’t going to be snatched up already, almost all teams who need a head coach don’t even really start their interviews until what, 5? 6 days after the season ends? 

Point is, it’s not the end of the world if he’s fired or retired immediately after week 17 game. 

I disagree that it doesn't matter.  

It matters because if they are looking for coaches now, without the current GM in place, that is a problem.  And if they are waiting to look for coaches until they have a new GM, the sooner the better.

And the longer this is waited out, the more dysfunctional (if that is even possible) it makes the organization look to any possible candidates.

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

No, I think hope and pray that he had no impact. But the front office as constructed can put together a good team because they have. Actuallt we can say that FOs they Bruce constructed have put together good teams 3 times :2012, 2015 and now. But Bruce by himself ruined the first two and I'm confident he'd ruin this one. That's why I'm not in favor of him staying

Most say Shanny was the defacto GM when he was here with some interference from Bruce-Dan.  According to Shanny at least the main interference was the McNabb trade.  So I wouldn't give Bruce 2012.

I think Bruce has more or less been bad at what he does which is supposedly been helping create the current FO structure (that seems to be repelling potential coaching candidates), trades (which most have stunk), public statements (mostly a disaster).   He's been good as to not overpaying players as to contracts but he's been a mixed bag on that front because IMO he's mismanaged some of those situations.

I think the best thing that Bruce has brought the team is his friendship with AJ Smith which has in turn brought Kyle Smith.  Arguably many of Bruce's Tampa connections haven't been stellar.  But Kyle is an exception.  Without Kyle IMO this organization would be in much worse shape.   College scouting really is the only thing this FO does well IMO

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

It matters because if they are looking for coaches now, without the current GM in place, that is a problem.  And if they are waiting to look for coaches until they have a new GM, the sooner the better.

And the longer this is waited out, the more dysfunctional (if that is even possible) it makes the organization look to any possible candidates.

Don’t most teams wait until after the season to fire a GM though? It’s not like it’s going to take weeks into the offseason to fire him or him to retire. First week of January is completely acceptable timeline to get him fired/retired, then new GM in place, then get a new head coach that following week when most coaches are hired. 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Don’t most teams wait until after the season to fire a GM though? It’s not like it’s going to take weeks into the offseason to fire him or him to retire. First week of January is completely acceptable timeline to get him fired/retired, then new GM in place, then get a new head coach that following week when most coaches are hired. 

Yeah I don't much much stock in Bruce not being fired yet.  I am not in the camp that it will slam dunk go down but I also think it makes plenty of sense to happen after the season as opposed to during the season. 

10 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Well, with our structure it makes sense for Bruce to study HC candidates right now because that's part of his job until he is fired.

As long as he doesn't sign a HC before retiring/being canned or whatever, it doesn't really matter. And that's highly probable has often teams wait for candidates that are still in the playoffs to interview some candidates and making their choice.

So, Dan do have up until mid/late january to make a call on Bruce.

6 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Well, with our structure it makes sense for Bruce to study HC candidates right now because that's part of his job until he is fired.

As long as he doesn't sign a HC before retiring/being canned or whatever, it doesn't really matter. And that's highly probable has often teams wait for candidates that are still in the playoffs to interview some candidates and making their choice.

So, Dan do have up until mid/late january to make a call on Bruce.

Yeah, because Bruce has done such a fine job with head coaches thus far.  

Unless maybe they are doing the opposite.  Like whoever Bruce is looking into, is automatically off the list!

But in the end, if he's leaving, who gives a **** what coaches he is "studying"?  The new GM will come in and pick who he wants, not who Mr. 100 losses is interested in.

Russell on tonight with his own gossip for what its worth:

A.  The league is upset at Dan and what's going on here

B.  Dan knows Bruce is a problem but he has to weigh the losing of his friendship like what went down with Vinny. Vinny and Dan now don't really talk.   Is Dan willing to lose his friend in Bruce likewise?  He suspects Dan ultimately pulls the trigger.

C. His gut is Dan sells the team sometime in the next 5 years.  Czaben had a similar theory.  Be wildly cool if so.  But seems like mere speculation.  Czaben thinks the stadium ends up the reason for it. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

C. His gut is Dan sells the team sometime in the next 5 years.  Czaben had a similar theory.  Be wildly cool if so.  But seems like mere speculation.  Czaben thinks the stadium ends up the reason for it. 

Seems like just random speculation unless Russell knows the league is talking about forcing Dan to sell.

I don't buy the "Dan will sell the team in 5 years" theory.  And even if I was more willing to buy into that Snyder was thinking about selling the team at the moment, my fear is that the team is an 8-8 "turning things around" season away from changing his mind anyway. 

Not saying it couldn't happen, just saying it is not something I would be counting on to happen.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

B.  Dan knows Bruce is a problem but he has to weigh the losing of his friendship like what went down with Vinny. Vinny and Dan now don't really talk.   Is Dan willing to lose his friend in Bruce likewise?  He suspects Dan ultimately pulls the trigger.

Dan and Bruce can still be friends just not in NFL business.  What's stopping them from being friends.  Allen just doesn't hold the position anymore.  Stating more points of frustration at Dan, not at you SIP.  

26 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Seems like just random speculation unless Russell knows the league is talking about forcing Dan to sell.

Don’t know if it’s random. The WP has reported that the league is upset with what’s going on with this team multiple times. The speculation is him guessing that he will sell the team in the next 5 years.

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Dan and Bruce can still be friends just not in NFL business.  What's stopping them from being friends.  Allen just doesn't hold the position anymore.  Stating more points of frustration at Dan, not at you SIP.  

Id presume Bruce would move to California and he and Dan would no longer hang together at Redskins Park, etc every day.

20 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Has the local media been right about anything the the past decade? They are in the dark. No way in hell does Snyder sell the team. He will just makes a “business decision” and send Bruce packing. 

They’ve nailed plenty about the team.  But as for selling the team that’s purely Russell and Czaben guessing as opposed to reporting.

1 hour ago, httrcirca87 said:

What do you guys think of bringing in Tom Coughlin as either head coach or as GM?

Positive: he wouldn't be a yes man to Snyder and wouldn't take his crap. Negative: everything else at this point. So...no.

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I don't buy the "Dan will sell the team in 5 years" theory.  And even if I was more willing to buy into that Snyder was thinking about selling the team at the moment, my fear is that the team is an 8-8 "turning things around" season away from changing his mind anyway. 

Not saying it couldn't happen, just saying it is not something I would be counting on to happen.

I remember all the rumors about Dan being broke and that being a reason to sell the team. I didn't buy into them but I kept my hope, and before I had kids i did my best not to buy Redskins gear or go to games or do a lot that would directly put money into Dan's pocket, hoping that it would help him sell the team. 

Now there are reports about Dan "losing" money. That's not exactly what's going on because he's still making money, but the stadium is empty and he's not getting stuff off things like jersey sales and food and drinks and concessions from the stadium so that means he's not making as much money as he should be making. And one thing I have to account for in my meetings is not necessarily "how much did we make" but more like how much did we make in comparison to how much we were expected to make and how much we could have made. 

And then I think about the personality on this guy and I think he's not built for the limelight. C'mon - he sued a paper for making him with horns? He doesn't like getting talked about? He's afraid of negative press. That means he likes the Vinny's and Bruce's but it also means that something like #SellTheTeam or #FireBruceAllen or whatever else people come up with do impact him because he wants to be liked, or doesn't like being disliked. 

All this adding up, I can see him selling the team because its wearing on him. This was his dream and its turned into a nightmare for him. Supposedly he went to Gruden and Scot (on different occasions) and told them that he was tired of losing. Supposedly he went to Jerrah and told him that drinking is how you deal with losing. 

So him selling the team is still my longshot hope for change. And I'm hoping that the owner of FedEx is the guy to buy it from him. 

5 hours ago, purbeast said:

Honestly I'm more in this camp than I want to be, but it could be a question of

1) What do we do with Bruce (fire, reassign, let him resign)? 

2) What happens to the rest of the front office? Does everyone get a pink slip and just start over or do we promote from within? 

3) If the answer to 2 is the later, how does he go about deciding who to promote and who to fire? And this could be the real sticking point because even the fan base (twitter and Extreme Skins) is split on this. Some say promote Kyle, some say promote Eric, some say promote Doug. 

I just read about the Lions owner saying they're keeping their GM and HC. They have a better record than the Redskins!

Obviously Bruce Allen's removal is what everyone wants; whether it happens today or at the end of the year, we just keep hope that it will happen. If by some chance it doesn't, then there needs to be some form of mass protest / boycotting next season's games.

But one other issue; its timing.  IF Dan decides he is going to let Bruce go/retire, whatever the semantics are, success could hinge on timing. There will be other teams looking for new HCs and GMs, but if Snyder waits too long to find a good one, the only ones left would be duds who are not much better than Allen.  It could be a back door trick, with Snyder coming out saying he will be letting Allen go once he finds a 'suitable' replacement, but the real intention is to keep Allen here for at least another year, maybe for stadium talk, but bottom line Allen would still be employed by the Redskins.

A real discussion on worthwhile GMs needs to generate some legs, get the discussions going on local talk shows, any way to get the message out where it is heard by the FO.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don’t think Dan’s worried about losing Bruce’s friendship.  He might be worried about losing momentum for a new stadium. If Dan was that worried about friendship, Bruce would still be sitting in the box after games.

Blow the son of a **** up and burn the ****er to the ****ing ground!!! **** you daniel snyder and everything you mean to the Redskins. I ****ing hate you and never have met you. This **** sucker bruce ****ing Allen is smashing this organization into the ground more and more each year and all you can say is "hmmmmmm he seems like a nice guy"...pull your head out of your god damn ass and wake the **** up piece of ****!...

Sorry..horrible day at work.

That's all that's going to happen..daniel will shift some **** around keeping brucifer employed..and another season of ass face one and two burning this to the ground...I wouldn't expect something to happen till seasons end..that's not my rant..I'm not ranting cause it hasn't happened yet..I'm ranting cause it ain't gonna happen.

Archived