Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There's one thing for certain, if we are lucky enough for Bruce to leave the team entirely, it will be done under the guise of 'retirement' or something of that nature.  Not for a second do I think Allen will be fired and sent away without a thank you, like we've seen done here in the past.  In fact, if they do pull a big name head coach like Meyer or someone like that, I'm sure Bruce will be provided some credit for spearheading that and leaving the team in 'good hands'.

None of that would be a negative.

51 minutes ago, sknz45 said:

I agree, seems Dan is going to let him leave "on his terms".  I still can't believe he has made it this long...how TF did Dan become a billionaire with his piss poor decision making and leadership abilities is also baffling.

Thats a long story of which I know the details. Let me just say Dan got rich off the backs of other smart people and the downtrodden. Like most billionaires do. And I will leave it at that.

14 minutes ago, portis26a said:

None of that would be a negative.

We're talking about a team in the Redskins known for ugly departures sending off a guy that's horrible both personally and professionally with sunshine and rainbows.

But ultimately, I don't really care how it gets done as long as it gets done and a proper structure is put in place.

The more I see and read, I'm betting that Alex Smith will be our next GM and that Bruce gets pushed upstairs to team President. This allows Dan to keep his good buddy around. I don't know why Alex would put himself in this position but maybe he likes Dan the same as other players do? 

Bruce goes up to President and Alex and Doug pick the team and coach. 

I am not saying i like this plan nor do I endorse it. To me, any plan that involves Bruce staying with the Skins organization is a bad plan. 

But, based on what I'm seeing, Alex has the look of a guy who's going to retire and be given a high profile job with the organization. 

I wouldn't doubt that Alex lands Urban Meyer to a record setting contract either. 

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I wouldn't doubt that Alex lands Urban Meyer to a record setting contract either. 

I agree with this part. 

I really think Alex actually lands as Meyers "go for" GM only in title and Meyer the coach who would make all the decisions but I don't agree that Bruce gets moved up.  It would remind me of a Shanahan/Lynch or Gruden/Mayock type setup.  

Nobody, absolutely nobody in the NFL, college, football circles, national media, etc. is naive about the current setup in this organization and know full well that BA is a weasel who cannot be trusted.  It's out there and has been out there since the Cousins debacle!

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There's one thing for certain, if we are lucky enough for Bruce to leave the team entirely, it will be done under the guise of 'retirement' or something of that nature.  Not for a second do I think Allen will be fired and sent away without a thank you, like we've seen done here in the past.  In fact, if they do pull a big name head coach like Meyer or someone like that, I'm sure Bruce will be provided some credit for spearheading that and leaving the team in 'good hands'.

Yeah that's been Russell among others refrain for years.   Bruce has wanted to go out on a high.  Since that seems unlikely, they will want to manufacture some heroes departure for him.

Frankly, I don't care how he leaves.  Based on Bruce's press conferences-interviews, you'd think that he thinks the average fan's football IQ is like 50 and we don't know anything that's going on.  So I am assuming they think they can pull a theme like that off and we'd all buy it.  The joke on that front is on them but let them play that hand.

I haven't thought about this until now but in my 2 short conversations with Bruce -- the first one might have been illuminating in a small way.  That was in 2016 when I mentioned how they've been screwed with the schedule, as for Monday-Thursday-traveling dynamic.  He seemed shocked that I knew it.  And he goes wow you really know your stuff.  Then he told me he sent a letter to the league about it.  I thought at the time he was just glad handing me but now I am thinking maybe he was serious considering how he conducts himself in interviews.  The Kirk press release was to me the kicker at the time because he was lecturing to the fans as if we'd have no concept of what a fair contract is.

Anyway if they indeed intend to do a heroes farewell, they probably think fans will buy into their spin.  And that's good.  Do it.  One of Russell's things has been Dan doesn't like the idea of an ending with Bruce that will damage the Allen legacy-name so they want to end things on a high.  Well, I am hoping they come with something.  I bet they think fans will buy it.  But judging by the board, talk radio, twitter, Bruce maybe has 10 fans give or take?    So Dan isn't saving anything as to Bruce's legacy.  But I don't care.  They can salute Bruce as he leaves Redskins Park like a hero, all the same to me.

I don't get the sense listening to Keim among others that Bruce gets reassigned.  It seems like an all or nothing thing.  I don't know what's going on with the stadium.  Loverro said last week that checking around its not going well in spite of Bruce's positive rhetoric months back on it. 

Czaben actually thinks Dan ends up selling the team in the next 2-3 years because he thinks he will fail on the stadium.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah that's been Russell among others refrain for years.   Bruce has wanted to go out on a high.  Since that seems unlikely, they will want to manufacture some heroes departure for him.

Frankly, I don't care how he leaves.  Based on Bruce's press conferences-interviews, you'd think that he thinks the average fan's football IQ is like 50 and we don't know anything that's going on.  So I am assuming they think they can pull a theme like that off and we'd all buy it.  The joke on that front is on them but let them play that hand.

I haven't thought about this until now but in my 2 short conversations with Bruce -- the first one might have been illuminating in a small way.  That was in 2016 when I mentioned how they've been screwed with the schedule, as for Monday-Thursday-traveling dynamic.  He seemed shocked that I knew it.  And he goes wow you really know your stuff.  Then he told me he sent a letter to the league about it.  I thought at the time he was just glad handing me but now I am thinking maybe he was serious considering how he conducts himself in interviews.  The Kirk press release was to me the kicker at the time because he was lecturing to the fans as if we'd have no concept of what a fair contract is.

Anyway if they indeed intend to do a heroes farewell, they probably think fans will buy into their spin.  And that's good.  Do it.  One of Russell's things has been Dan doesn't like the idea of an ending with Bruce that will damage the Allen legacy-name so they want to end things on a high.  Well, I am hoping they come with something.  I bet they think fans will buy it.  But judging by the board, talk radio, twitter, Bruce maybe has 10 fans give or take?    So Dan isn't saving anything as to Bruce's legacy.  But I don't care.  They can salute Bruce as he leaves Redskins Park like a hero, all the same to me.

I don't get the sense listening to Keim among others that Bruce gets reassigned.  It seems like an all or nothing thing.  I don't know what's going on with the stadium.  Loverro said last week that checking around its not going well in spite of Bruce's positive rhetoric months back on it. 

Czaben actually thinks Dan ends up selling the team in the next 2-3 years because he thinks he will fail on the stadium.

Keep posting these! Much appreciated :)

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But you could theoretically catch lightening in a bottle.  If you actually get lucky and get one guy right, and he puts the rest of the folks in place and it works, and he can manage up and down, it works.  

Sure, and it's probably the only hope we have of Dan getting it right. It would be better if he found a competent football executive first and then let that guy hire the HC, but there's so little chance that Dan would find the right guy (who also happens to be available). Instead, we have to hope that Dan's next splashy coaching hire turns out to also be really good at "buying the groceries", too, to quote Parcells.

I guess it's better than nothing...

58 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The more I see and read, I'm betting that Alex Smith will be our next GM and that Bruce gets pushed upstairs to team President. This allows Dan to keep his good buddy around. I don't know why Alex would put himself in this position but maybe he likes Dan the same as other players do? 

Bruce goes up to President and Alex and Doug pick the team and coach. 

I am not saying i like this plan nor do I endorse it. To me, any plan that involves Bruce staying with the Skins organization is a bad plan. 

But, based on what I'm seeing, Alex has the look of a guy who's going to retire and be given a high profile job with the organization. 

That's an interesting scenario.

But I'm not sure where did I see "Bruce President"...

Oh yeah!

Right here:

https://www.redskins.com/team/front-office-roster/

34 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Isn't team president more important than GM?

Technically, I mean that's the big dog that delegates everything. But you want a proven, experienced talent evaluator at GM. Preferably one who has final say on roster construction and HC hiring for optimally congruent team building, with the team president having everything else under his umbrella and running interference with the owner. A team president isn't always necessary, depends who you have as the GM and the makeup of the FO. Or sometimes it's a combined gig. Either way, Alex Smith shouldn't be either of them. 

this is all insanity. Alex Smith as X, or Bruce as Y. This is the same formula that never works. The real solution is hiring the #2 guy from the front office of a well run NFL org, and making that person the Team President and GM here.

I still think Omar Khan from Pittsburgh would make the most sense. Every winning franchise also has their warts. But Pittsburgh and the Rooney's would probably the best front office we could get something from. That's the guy who builds a team of good scouting, coaching, medical, training, etc.

Otherwise, you might as well hire Doc Walker to run the show and he can have all his nicknames on jerseys instead of the real player names who I am convinced he doesn't remember. I think I heard him call Wes Martin "The Wolverine" today.

6 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

this is all insanity. Alex Smith as X, or Bruce as Y. This is the same formula that never works. The real solution is hiring the #2 guy from the front office of a well run NFL org, and making that person the Team President and GM here.

I still think Omar Khan from Pittsburgh would make the most sense. Every winning franchise also has their warts. But Pittsburgh and the Rooney's would probably the best front office we could get something from. That's the guy who builds a team of good scouting, coaching, medical, training, etc.

Otherwise, you might as well hire Doc Walker to run the show and he can have all his nicknames on jerseys instead of the real player names who I am convinced he doesn't remember. I think I heard him call Wes Martin "The Wolverine" today.

I honestly think dan is afraid that no competent front office person would take the gig so he'll take the safe road with sticking to status quo or "go outside the box" with someone like Smith. 

Either way, the fans lose. 

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

Alex Smith might be named Team President. I don't see him getting the GM title.

Eric Schaffer - President of the Redskins

Alex Smith - EVP of Football Operartions

??? - EVP of non-football ops.  

Kyle Smith - General Manager

???? Head Coach.  I don't buy into the Meyer thing.  I think it would be interesting.  But I don't think it has a chance of happening.  

36 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I honestly think dan is afraid that no competent front office person would take the gig so he'll take the safe road with sticking to status quo or "go outside the box" with someone like Smith. 

Either way, the fans lose. 

I think if he's reaching outside the org for somebody new and NOT talking to some of the Sr. Owners around the league. Then yeah. Damned either way. If those owners are thinking  "Man, we need this franchise turned around for our bottom line," then hopefully they are recommending a guy like Khan with a longer deal and full front office control than includes ridiculous payouts if he's let go early.

2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Isn't team president more important than GM?

Yeah, in this case it would be a Dan move to keep Bruce here but appease the fans by naming a GM. Would Bruce agree to or even be asked to give up all of his organizational decision making powers that he has now? Would anyone want to be a GM under Bruce in theid organizational pecking order? Would making Alex the GM in reality make him part of the decision making "team" rather than having the control that typical GM's have? What would Doug's role be? What power would the new coach get?

I do think Dan has to go really big with the coaching hire and a big name is gonna want similar to what Gruden has in Oakland. That bar has been set. Maybe Meyer says he'll take the job under the condition that Alex is his GM and Bruce works from home? Dan has no choice but to basically overpay to get a proven, big name coach. That's his own doing. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Eric Schaffer - President of the Redskins

Alex Smith - EVP of Football Operartions

??? - EVP of non-football ops.  

Kyle Smith - General Manager

???? Head Coach.  I don't buy into the Meyer thing.  I think it would be interesting.  But I don't think it has a chance of happening.  

Why? With Dan's money, and certain demands met, I wouldn't rule out Meyer. Dan is a desperate man right now, he needs a savior as bad as us fans do. 

I asked one of my Cowboy fan friends what job he thought was more attractive to a head coach, Cowboys or Redskins? He didn't hesitate or have to think about it..."Redskins", because no coach wants to deal with Jerry Jones meddling. Pretty interesting answer and I believe that too. Also, the QB/WR connection to Meyer is very interesting....if Meyer believes Haskins is the real deal that could be enticing to him as well. He also could come in here and save one of the most historic franchises in one of the most historic cities in the country.

Archived