Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

...There is some young talent here, although it's not comparable to most of the other franchises on this list. The 2019 rookie class has been promising, with third-round wideout Terry McLaurin looking like a superstar in the making. Edge rusher Montez Sweat has flashed potential at times. Defensive linemen Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen and defensive backs Quinton Dunbar and Fabian Moreau are worthwhile contributors on rookie deals. Landon Collins might be overpaid, but he's a talented safety and a leader on defense.

The big question is what potential coaches think of Haskins, who has unsurprisingly struggled as a rookie. There was little reason to expect him to succeed this early given the issues along the offensive line and his inexperience at the position. This season shouldn't realistically mean much in terms of evaluating him; if you liked him coming out of school, you're going to be able to make excuses for why he didn't succeed, and if you didn't like him as a prospect, well, you can point to the 2019 film. Coaching candidates who want a blank slate or an established option at quarterback will look elsewhere.

If there's any way Snyder can attract a desirable candidate, it would be by offering the sort of personnel control other teams aren't willing to give to the vast majority of coaches in 2019, even if that means moving on from team president Bruce Allen, the public face of the franchise. Of course, coaches don't typically get personnel control for a reason. Coaching is hard enough, and for every Bill Belichick who can succeed while juggling both jobs, you'll run into a Bill O'Brien in Houston or a Mike Holmgren in Cleveland. Mike Shanahan reportedly had personnel control during his time in Washington, although it's fair to wonder how much Snyder influenced the day-to-day decision-making in football operations.

The dream candidate in some ways, of course, would be Urban Meyer. The former Ohio State coach had glowing things to say about his former quarterback this summer after Washington drafted Haskins, though that's hardly a surprise. Meyer retired from coaching last December for health reasons, although he gave the same reason for moving on from Florida in December 2010 and was named Ohio State coach less than a year later.

Meyer has never coached at the NFL level, but the 55-year-old expressed interest in the Cowboys job in October. We'll get to them in a bit. Unless he is desperate to work with Haskins, it's more likely that Washington will turn over the job to someone who doesn't have head-coaching options elsewhere. One plausible candidate is 34-year-old offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell, who has been in the building since 2017. Years after letting McVay leave, Snyder could try to avoid making the same mistake again.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28276535/ranking-best-worst-potential-nfl-head-coaching-openings-2019

51 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But nothing has happened to Allen yet, let alone with Riddick...

I mean, I think most people would agree that Riddick is exactly the kind of play Snyder would pursue. But nothing has happened yet.

Obviously, I meant if in the event it happens.  And if it does happen, feeling smart won't feel good.  Color me unimpressed with Riddick.

I don't see Bruce being fired. I see him 'stepping down' by mutual agreement in a very politically correct way. My hope is that his attendance at this latest round of league meetings is to say some formal goodbyes and give the appearance of an amicable split in 'the best interests of the organisation moving forward'.

Thats my hope anyway.

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I don't see Bruce being fired. I see him 'stepping down' by mutual agreement in a very politically correct way. My hope is that his attendance at this latest round of league meetings is to say some formal goodbyes and give the appearance of an amicable split in 'the best interests of the organisation moving forward'.

Thats my hope anyway.

92c2d2ccce98d07e9e88ef4edd90b3b1--the-sh

Riddick is exactly the sort of publicity-driven hire that Dan would make. 

To be honest, I wasn't paying such close attention to the FO when he was here, and to me he "came out of nowhere" to his TV gig.

The obvious answer would be to find an assistant FO guy on a team with recent success, but that wouldn't give the kind of splash that Dan likes in a situation like this.

18 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'm just hoping we get a real GM candidate from a FO with a good scouting tree, like a normal franchise, and then Dan can have his big name splash in the form of a HC who wants to work for that guy. Longshot, I know. 

You and me both.  I’m also cool with a big name coach that brings a strong front office guy along. 

Riddick hasn’t had the proven success to be exciting as chief decision maker. 

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I dunno if we “shed” Mcvay. I don’t think any of us thought he was ready for an HC job and teams came knocking. I know I didn’t think he was. Anyone who claims they knew is lying out their ass.

Guy was getting punked around here when he was calling plays for being dumb and stupid... And I'm probably above the truth. It wasn't pretty on him on game days. Same thing for K. Shanahan.

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I dunno if we “shed” Mcvay. I don’t think any of us thought he was ready for an HC job and teams came knocking. I know I didn’t think he was. Anyone who claims they knew is lying out their ass.

One thing that should always be taken into consideration with things like this is that we aren't in the building working with and around these folks everyday.  What's excusable for a fan is not always excusable to the powers that be that run the organization.

13 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I was advocating firing Jay and promoting McVay and I am most certainly not lying out of my ass.  Nor was I the only one.

It was fairly obvious that Jay had reached his peak of mediocrity.  It was similarly obvious that McVay was an intriguing candidate that had a high ceiling but was much more speculative.   

Regardless of the names, give me untested high ceiling" over "proven mediocrity" 100 times out of 100 when it comes to a head coach.

17 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Guy was getting punked around here when he was calling plays for being dumb and stupid... And I'm probably above the truth. It wasn't pretty on him on game days. Same thing for K. Shanahan.

I remember the name "Wrong Play McVay" being thrown around on several occasions.

Turned out if was Goober Gruden doing all the playcalling, the plays that would take 76 hours to progress and etcetera.

Anyone else feel like this has been basically a long-ass gameday thread for the past couple of days?  Where we think we're going to win and then Redskins gonna Redskins and disappoint us horribly?

Because I do.  This team never fails to fail, never has to suffer any consequences for getting our hopes up and dashing them, and then we're the ones left holding the bag.

Moving on for Bruce gives you a momentary boost of hope.  Yeah, that hope will be crushed in 2-4 years but you would have hope for a little while.

Here's what I expect.

Year 1- transition year.  See which players work with new coach and which don't.  Playoffs in year 1, it happens to other teams.  Doubtful it happens to us.

Year 2-3- Peak years of new regime.   Though late in year 3, you can see signs of it coming apart.

Year 4- If we get this far; it all falls apart.

Even if Dan hires a real gm and gives them the power to do their job; I would expect Dan to eventually interfere by year 3 and the gm and Dan part ways in year 4.  You would have a short window.  Dan Snyder can't change who he is.

I expect if Bruce goes, Dan will hire another sycophant puppet GM.  Maybe we get lucky and this GM can do a decent job.  Dan won't stop interfering

I think everything on our next hire at coach and GM, if Bruce goes; revolves around Haskins. The quality coaches and GM should avoid us like the plague. You don't want to tie your success to project QB that may never develop.

I expect 2-3 years of crap; while it takes Dan that long to realize Haskins probably can't be an NFL QB. 

I think best case scenario is to hire someone who actually has foresight and can earn the respect of the team and the league. Instead of having to obey Dan, actually has the ability to convince him to be trusted. Can make Dan feel involved and pertinent, yet can keep Dans impulses at bay. I just don't think a GM given complete control with Dan locked in the basement will last more than 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

It's not about us knowing it's about professional football people knowing. Ours didn't. Others did.

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

I was advocating firing Jay and promoting McVay and I am most certainly not lying out of my ass.  Nor was I the only one.

It was fairly obvious that Jay had reached his peak of mediocrity.  It was similarly obvious that McVay was an intriguing candidate that had a high ceiling but was much more speculative.   

Regardless of the names, give me untested high ceiling" over "proven mediocrity" 100 times out of 100 when it comes to a head coach.

Yeah, there was definite sentiment to do that.  Especially when it became clear half the league thought this guy was the next big thing.  

39 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

It's not about us knowing it's about professional football people knowing. Ours didn't. Others did.

Our coaches knew, at least.  Both Shanahan and Jay knew.

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

I knew Bruce was safe when Jason La Canfora reported of Bruce's demise last Sunday,

Shame

Oh come on, it’s not even the end of the season yet, nobody knows if he’s “safe” or not 😂😂😂 if anyone actually thinks he survives a 3-13 season.....i have an ocean-front house in Wisconsin I’d like to show you 🤷🏻‍♂️

Archived