Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

If they botch the FO shakeup a third time, it's going to be the final straw for a great many of the few remaining fans. 

Hate to say it, but I'll still be here, kvetching and wringing my hands.

13 minutes ago, Alexa said:

The season has been over as far as the playoffs are concerned for a long time. Why was Sunday viewed as some kind of major finality? That just seems so bizarre to me. Were the people inside Redskin Park really thinking that there was a chance to make the playoffs? And once they were officially eliminated there was some kind of major let down? I swear, this organization...…  SMH.

Yes. The bar for staying the course is absurdly low. Loser mentality.

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Exactly. THIS was my point. Just because they are starting doesnt mean they are any good. This roster sucks. And the results bear that out. Am I excited about a few young guys on the roster? Yes I am. But the only reason they are playing right now is because of the crappy results. 

I will also add that I am not just bashing Smith here. I dont believe ANYONE in this front office deserves to keep their job. EVERYONE needs to go.

I would disagree.  I think Kyle Smith has done an excellent job evaluating collegiate talent and Santos has done an exceptional job as well.  I think Doug Williams has had a lot of misses in free agency; however, he's a football guy and I know he knows talent.  I think Bruce has had Doug under this thumb.  Doug is still a bit of a mystery to me though.

I think we draft well....our free agency has been horrible and Jay was too soft and uninspiring to get the team to produce.  I say keep what we have minus Bruce Allen, get a coach who is Callahan like regarding the discipline and attention to detail and lets see what happens.  I certainly wouldn't blow it up because I know Bruce and Jay have had a lot of negative influence.  

16 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Hate to say it, but I'll still be here, kvetching and wringing my hands.

Yep, I'll always be a fan as well.  Can't promise active and engaged, though.  I basically regard the team as a ****ty family member that can't get it's act together.  At some point I may cut off communication, but for now I still have a rock bottom or two left in me.  And even if I were to withdraw compeltely, I'd be subconcoiusly waiting for the day they came to their senses, at which point all would be forgiven and forgotten.  

1 hour ago, daveakl said:

My money is he retires/is let go on December 20th

I agree.. if Dan finally let's him go at all. Probably wants more tee time in the office until then.

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

7- Quinn-WR that cannot catch. Bust

He may eventually play well with another team someday, but this year he has done nothing for us. Disappointed. I was rooting for him at the start, but don't care now if he's one of those that gets cut after the season.

Doug Williams role is the intermediary between The players, Allen, and Snyder. I guess this is necessary when you have the aviator as your owner, and a douche lord as your GM. Allen is in charge of Free Agency and trades, and almost everyone of them under him has been a failure. Even guys like Swearinger, who was largely productive until he was cut before the end of the season. Imo, the only moves he’s made that I liked, was bringing in Colins, and Norman ( his falling off a cliff is irrelevant) 

Trading a 3rd and Fuller for the right to give Alex Smith a huge contract was awful. Trading a 4th for a half season of HaHa was another poor choice. Not trading a Cousins for a pick was dumb. Not trading Trent to Houston for two 1sts  was grounds for banishment from the realm. Those are desperately needed draft assets. If you have a scouting department that can hit on 95% of their picks the past two years, you need to give them more opportunities. Success is measured by the ability to make the active roster. 

Late round draft picks that land spots on the active roster Are the benchmark for a high quality scouting department. I would love to see what Kyle could do with the power to also bring in free agents to support his vision. 

Lmbo I told my boy troy aikman wanted to be a gm..this was his response with him hiring romo as hc

The 30 for 30 aikmans return. 

Intro of aikman ****ing the skins in a cowboys jersey.

Open scene.

What if i told you, the greatest moment in football history didnt happen on the field.

Enter Romo

When troy called me and asked me to be his first hc a week before it was announced he got the job, i thought he needed to go back to rehab or something. The Redskins?!

43 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not particularly down with the idea of Aikman, but I think there’s actually a lot to like about him.  He’s been around football for a long time, including Super Bowl experience, he probably has a lot of relationships built up, and most importantly, I believe he has the demeanor and personality I’d want in a GM - measured/thoughtful, he comes across as respectful and humble and I’m pretty sure he would be about the opposite of a sleazy yes man.  

I actually think there are serious positives to the Washington job too.  You’d have to be polite, but firm with Snyder, but he’s willing to spend and has shown a lot of patience with his GMs (to a fault).  While the fan base is probably at its worst state in history and org is a mess, there’s probably nowhere to go but up.  There’s also a lot of youth on the team, we’re getting an early draft pick, have decent cap space (more to come when Smith leaves), you get to choose your coach right off the bat and the honeymoon phase should give you some time to further develop and add to the young roster.  There’s the added benefit that failure here will probably be looked upon less negatively and you have a chance to turn around a storied franchise.  Now, buried in there are also some negatives to coming here, but still - there are significant positives.  

Thanks for sharing. But with all due respect I just see zero positives here. To me this is a typical snyder splash with no real chance of succeeding move. 

Yes he has been a round football for a long time. But he has not been in football for a very long time. There is nothing to suggest he has any clue how to build a franchise in today's NFL. And talent evaluation - where does he have any experience at all. And who will he bring in? That could his only saving grace but that would be because someone behind the scenes is actually doing the work. Why not just hire them? 

Even his attitude - yea I always thought I would like to try the FO. WTF man, I want a guy who it burns his soul to be a GM in the NFL. A guy that has been working towards theat goal for the last 5 to 10 yrs or more and learned quite a bit along the way. That is so driven it's all he thinks about in terms of professional success. Someone who has definite plans on how he wants to build a franchise, what that looks like and how to get there. 

I have nothing against Aikman as a person other than he was a ****ing cowpunk. Seriously, I agree he seems like a straight up guy and I have really never heard much bad about him from teammates or people in the NFL. Even when he gets after people they are mostly like - yea he's probably right. But that alone does not make a GM. I want no part of Aikman - which is why it's exactly what will happen... 😞

As for this being an opportunity - i agree with you there. I think this is a better opportunity than people give it credit for. The main problem is also the main reason this is a great place to try and revive. If you can return this franchise to being a successful franchise with this owner, wow what an accomplishment! People will disagree but just watch, Jay will get another chance. He did pretty well considering the **** show he had to work under. But that's another conversation. 

A good GM/HC tandem will be able to get Dan to leave his thoughts out of it. They will make him a believer. Just imagine if you are the one who turns this thing around! This all assumes bruce is gone. If he stays, this is the worst job in the NFL and honestly it's not even close. Probably the worst HC job in all of major sports. 

1 hour ago, Alexa said:

The season has been over as far as the playoffs are concerned for a long time. Why was Sunday viewed as some kind of major finality? That just seems so bizarre to me. Were the people inside Redskin Park really thinking that there was a chance to make the playoffs? And once they were officially eliminated there was some kind of major let down? I swear, this organization...…  SMH.

I dont think it was so much a let down as it being the "right" thing to do to wait until you are officially eliminated from the playoffs. I agree that the writing has been on the wall since week4 though.

44 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Thanks for sharing. But with all due respect I just see zero positives here. To me this is a typical snyder splash with no real chance of succeeding move. 

Yes he has been a round football for a long time. But he has not been in football for a very long time. There is nothing to suggest he has any clue how to build a franchise in today's NFL. And talent evaluation - where does he have any experience at all. And who will he bring in? That could his only saving grace but that would be because someone behind the scenes is actually doing the work. Why not just hire them? 

the weird thing about Dan is we have to concoct these weird scenarios because the dude refuses to do what winning teams do which is to interview the top potential GMs on the market -- the ones with the deepest resumes, with buzz around the league for being super scouts.   That's what the Colts did among other teams.

But Dan doesn't roll like that.  Apparently, he's smarter than the rest of the league.  So we got to think like him -- ex-players, guys that sound cool on TV, let the coach do it, nostalgia, etc.  Sad.  Dan shock us for once and operate like a normal franchise.   

And if you want to go on another weird funky version of building a FO different than other teams then at least have the guts to explain why to the fan base. 

Standig

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 5.45.22 PM.png

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

He doesnt make the picks though.  Never have you heard Kyle Smith being responsible for a draft pick.  How the  board that he helps put together turns into players, we really have no idea.  All we ever hear is how X person was Jay's pick or Bruce's pick, or Snyder really liked a guy.

I assume the war room in the Bruce, Dan, and Jay era went something like: 

Kyle: If Bill Johnson, S from Alabama Tech is available at 157, we should take him.

Bruce, Dan, and Jay: That's dynamite, Kid, but we'll take it from here.  *Proceeds to do what they want*

"I assume"

There goes your argument right out the window with two words 

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not particularly down with the idea of Aikman, but I think there’s actually a lot to like about him.  He’s been around football for a long time, including Super Bowl experience, he probably has a lot of relationships built up, and most importantly, I believe he has the demeanor and personality I’d want in a GM - measured/thoughtful, he comes across as respectful and humble and I’m pretty sure he would be about the opposite of a sleazy yes man.  

I actually think there are serious positives to the Washington job too.  You’d have to be polite, but firm with Snyder, but he’s willing to spend and has shown a lot of patience with his GMs (to a fault).  While the fan base is probably at its worst state in history and org is a mess, there’s probably nowhere to go but up.  There’s also a lot of youth on the team, we’re getting an early draft pick, have decent cap space (more to come when Smith leaves), you get to choose your coach right off the bat and the honeymoon phase should give you some time to further develop and add to the young roster.  There’s the added benefit that failure here will probably be looked upon less negatively and you have a chance to turn around a storied franchise.  Now, buried in there are also some negatives to coming here, but still - there are significant positives.  

If you're not already a defense attorney you missed your calling 

20 minutes ago, justice98 said:

We're all assuming, that's every argument here. Unless folks secretly are in these rooms when discussions are going on.

He's concocted a fantasy to discredit someone he's never met and knows nothing about.  That's a step or two past what you're talking about.  We might as well be talking about a GI Joe marrying Barbie for as much actual credibility that post has.

I'm not saying I know any better... But I also didn't make some ridiculous guess of a post and try to pawn it off as a credible argument 

Edit: oh, he is you!  Yeah my post still stands 

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig

To Snyder's credit, he tried this approach in 2018  with the hiring of NFL executive Brian Lafemina to run the organization's business end. The failed experiment did not last the year, like a diseased body rejecting a healthy donor organ.

Maaaaaaaaaan, that's such a perfect characterization of this organization under Snyder, much like that reverse car wash analogy.

7 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Which player do you think sucked most? Chase Roullier, Jonathan Allen, Fabian Moreau, Daron Payne, Derrius Guice, Tim Settle, Troy Apke, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Montez Sweat, Terry McLauren, Cole Holcomb, Kelvin Harmon, or Jimmy Moreland?

Edit: I'll bet it's that Montae Nicholson, that 4th round pick that's playing like a 4th round pick. Otherwise, might even be that UDFA Steven Simms. Such a disappointment.

You say that like even half the folks on that list are stone cold good players. Most of those guys won’t get 2nd contracts and will fall into obscurity like the Jarvis Jenkins and Richard Crawfords before them  

Archived