Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saints vs. Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

2 minutes ago, Kluegs17 said:

Cousins haters love to omit the atrocious defense.  A spineless unit

Defense failed today.

but....

Not sure if people hate Cousins so much as they want to see something they'll never get out of him - a risk taker; a gunslinger; a ****ing baller!

Kirk is a good QB. He's just "too careful" for some of the fan's taste. They're looking for Rex Grossman without the mistakes. I get that and you should too. I'm probably one of them. That's what the so called Cousins hater want. Problem is, they won't get it. So when careful calculated Kirk throws a pick or a check down when the team needs "a play", the obvious reaction is he's not the guy. Another thing a QB (like a pitcher is baseball) suffers from is Wins and losses. Kirk doesn't "win" a lot of games. You can say the team doesn't. But the team is not getting franchise money. Shanahan said you can win a SB with him. Can you? At this point I don't believe you can. He just admitted he was nervous in the closing minutes of this game. Imagine him in a Super Bowl! I think they got that in Philly.

10 minutes ago, Kluegs17 said:

Has an explanation of the IG been given by KC or JG post game?  Watching it live, I thought one of the receivers ran the wrong route, leading KC to throw a pass toward the sideline with nobody being there

The explanation was the original call was a run play but the Saints had the right defense.  Gruden yelled for Cousins to throw it and supposedly singled to Crowder to run a bubble screen. Crowder didn’t see it and went to block down when the ball was snapped.  Cousins said he thought they wanted him to throw it out of bounds and Crowder would be near by.  Either way they wanted to reset and no receiver in the area lead to IG.

5 minutes ago, DM72 said:

???. 4-6 isn't even mediocre. We're a bad team. We just have competitive losses.

Well, the season isn't over. If they finish 6-10 or 7-9, yeah, that's not really mediocre. I have a feeling we'll have a strong finish to 8-8 :)

Although 7-9 could be considered mediocre.

We've been very competitive with two games where it was like "wtf..."

The team doesn't suck.

The Browns suck. The Giants suck. 

We're not that bad.

I don't know that we're good enough to warrant not firing/dumping significant people (Allen, gruden, cousins, et al)

But we don't suck. This isn't Zorn and swinging gate.

A quality organization could build on a roster like this. We have pieces. Zach brown and sweringer are legit. Our TE's and o line and d line are legit. We might have 2 kickers to choose from next year. Punter is solid. Crowder is awesome. Breeland and Norman are good.

We're just not a quality organization so we'll screw it up and waste some bright young men's tallent.

9 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Defense failed today.

but....

Not sure if people hate Cousins so much as they want to see something they'll never get out of him - a risk taker; a gunslinger; a ****ing baller!

Kirk is a good QB. He's just "too careful" for some of the fan's taste. They're looking for Rex Grossman without the mistakes. I get that and you should too. I'm probably one of them. That's what the so called Cousins hater want. Problem is, they won't get it. So when careful calculated Kirk throws a pick or a check down when the team needs "a play", the obvious reaction is he's not the guy. Another thing a QB (like a pitcher is baseball) suffers from is Wins and losses. Kirk doesn't "win" a lot of games. You can say the team doesn't. But the team is not getting franchise money. Shanahan said you can win a SB with him. Can you? At this point I don't believe you can. He just admitted he was nervous in the closing minutes of this game. Imagine him in a Super Bowl! I think they got that in Philly.

All I’m saying is the team was up 15 points with 3 or so minutes to go...with 31 points being scored against a good New Orleans defense.  The defense allows NO to literally drive the length of the field in 4 or 5 plays and moon walk a 2 point conversion to tie the game.  Yet, nearly everyone on this board wants to blame the QB.  Watching live, it seemed that the WR ran the wrong route on the intentional grounding play, has that been debunked?  **i see the response to IG question above

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

Yes

Obviously the intent of my statement was that Brees always overcomes 15 point deficits in 3 minutes.

Well done.

I don't know that we suck...

We've had some good games, even when we lose, against respectable teams (Vikings saints and Kansas city comes to mind)

And we beat a good team on the road while seriously inured in seattle

So no, we don't suck.

We're just not that good. Mediocre. Maybe slightly above mediocre.

Maybe we’re not bottom of the barrel like the Browns and we are competitive, but we lose more than we win so to me thats suckage territory. We’re just not that good. Other teams seem to have down year(s) but we have down decades.

If our defense plays well, the offense struggles. If the offense plays well, the special teams has a gaf. We do just enough to lose year in and year out.

By the end of the year we end up with 7-9 wins and think “next year is the year we take the next step”, unfortunatly next year comes and once again we win 7-9 games.

Its a repeat cycle, like quicksand, we just can’t get out of it. Two years ago we made the playoffs, people got hyped. It was pretty obvious, we won because the NFC East sucked but eh, we thought we were better. Last year we missed the playoffs because “reasons”, this year we might have an even worse record, miss the playoffs again because “reasons”.

Us beating or almost beating good teams does nothing for me when we lose more than win on average. We won’t be a good team until we win more than 10 games on consecutive years while making the playoffs. Until then we suck and occasionally get lucky when its a down year in the NFC East. 

12 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

He just admitted he was nervous in the closing minutes of this game.

Same dude who met Tom Brady after a game and asked him "how do you do it"

I like cousins. But I hate his lack of swagger. It's just not what matches my mental picture of a successful athlete at the elite level.

The rest of your post is spot on. I wish you luck trying to navigate the thread with such a rational view :)

9 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

You're taking that comment WAY out of context. NOWHERE does Kirk say he was generally "nervous", which is what you seem to be implying. The question was whether or not he talked to the ref about the flag for intentional grounding, and he said, paraphrasing, "No, I don't have time for that, I'm nervous about getting the next play called, the play clock running ..." In other words, he's focused on the fact that the game is winding down and isn't going to waste time arguing with the ref. 

Kirk made some mistakes, but he also played awesome for most of the game, again with very few weapons. He made some great, tough throws while taking a beating, too. While he made some mistakes, too, I thought he was the least of our problems today. 

That play call on third and less than a yard was possibly the most egregious thing to happen on the field for us the entire game. 

6 minutes ago, dyst said:

Other teams seem to have down year(s) but we have down decades.

Oh

If your point is that as an organization we suck, I'm right there with you. I didn't even get excited about this season before it began.

Which is why I am able to look at this team and think:

There are good parts here, this can be made into something good, but this organization is such a joke they won't be able to pull it off and we'll be looking for a new headcoach in 1-3 years.

13 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Except I didn't, in even a remote way, suggest it was the same thing. I suggested a coach be responsible for knowing what his players can do.

You cited an example of a coach asking Trent Williams to throw a deep out with a coach asking his H-back to to lead block as your illustration of a coach knowing what his players can do. Paul plays full back on a regular basis is our short yardage and goalline packages - it's not like Gruden just pulled this out of his ass.

1 minute ago, Kluegs17 said:

All I’m saying is the team was up 15 points with 3 or so minutes to go...with 31 points being scored against a good New Orleans defense.  The defense allows NO to literally drive the length of the field in 4 or 5 plays and moon walk a 2 point conversion to tie the game.  Yet, nearly everyone on this board wants to blame the QB.  Watching live, it seemed that the WR ran the wrong route on the intentional grounding play, has that been debunked?  **i see the response to IG question above

Again, the QB is the most important position in football. In the crunch, its the guy you look for to get things done. Despite what anyone else on the field is doing. In the waning moments of the game, Kirk got called for intentional grounding and put the team in a difficult spot. He's been in the league long enough for the game to have slowed down to where he doesn't make that throw. But he did.

Its like you have two kids. One is deemed more mature and seasoned than the other. When the more mature does wrong, you get on him more because he knows better. Kirk is the "franchise". The face of the team. The face of a team that loses games in embarrassing fashion. He's a part of that embarrassment at times. 

It goes with the territory. A season QB doesn't use trash at his feet as an excuse to throw a bad ball. At least he doesn't say it in public. That's some RGIII ****.

I'm not a Kirk hater. I'm a realist. We have not won a lot of games. And Kirk has been the QB. Its a result driven league. What are the results? The Redskins' record is 25-32-1 after 4 years with Kirk at QB. That's 25 wins in four seasons. That cowgirl QB has 18 wins in two seasons. Rest assured I hate the cowgirls. But winning is the object of the game. The reality is that Kirk is a losing QB.  

https://twitter.com/ByMikeJones/status/932447690524278784?s=17

for any of you blaming cousins for taking the intentional grounding...wake up it wasn’t a penalty read the rules about what is intentional grounding he needs to be under duress for them to call it grounding otherwise a spike should be a penalty as well hence why the league is apologizing to Allen over this...we were in field goal range to win the game and the refs screwed us in unbelievable fashion 

5 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Knew it then and know it now!  Intentional grounding should be tied to evading a sack but the reality is Cousins took a 3 step drop and fired to a receiver who ran in instead of out! He wasn't intentionally avoiding a sack, it was just miss-fire...

Archived