Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saints vs. Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

You've been around here long enough Nicky to know that it's just not true...

Just like our Fake Punt call. That was a ****ing great call, because it worked.

True, but a fake punt that no one expects vs. a run on 3rd and half a yard that every person in the NFL knows is coming are two completely different plays. The punt caught them by surprise. We took a half yard run, and gave them extra time by stretching it to the side. We got burned on it last week too. It isn't working in crunch time. So why is Gruden calling it?

17 minutes ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

First down if Paul doesn't whiff. And you mean that up the gut play everyone has been complaining about all season? I would have preferred a 1 pass option boot on both 2nd and 3rd but the play he called was there. Sorry, not on coaching. 

But Paul wiffs ALL THE TIME.  Our TEs are ridiculously bad at the point of attack.  

So so call a play that depends on a weakness?  It’s typical stupidity.

30 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Two weeks in a row the defense lost the game.  I agree, this franchise and fans don’t deserve Cousins.  

Offense picks up six inches on a sneak and you have a much different tune. I'd rather have needed six yards then six inches because I just knew Gruden was going to **** the bed. You sneak it. ****, you sneak it twice to avoid giving it back to Brees there. Law of average, better chance of getting the first then stopping the Saints when it mattered.

Cousins was great today, but he's played a hand in several of the losses. As a duo, Kirk and Jay will never be more than a 8-10 win tandem. They just won't.

I also love that somehow we have some throwing this back at the front office. I'm voting against the "stability" we've seen from Jay Gruden. Coaching is a "F." Offense is a "B," Defense "D," and ST a "D."

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

Someone please explain to me why we didn't just have Rose kick that long field goal after the intentional grounding call? NE kicker, you know who he is, just kicked a 62 yarder. Why don't our coaches take a chance when the game is on the line? Rose has a damn good leg too. 

Well he kicked it in over 7,000 ft of altitude.

Rose has a big leg and it is inside a dome. But it was still 18 seconds, so enough to get a couple of more yards. Cousins has to see the blitz.

13 minutes ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

First down if Paul doesn't whiff. And you mean that up the gut play everyone has been complaining about all season? I would have preferred a 1 pass option boot on both 2nd and 3rd but the play he called was there. Sorry, not on coaching. 

Disagree.  3rd and 1, game on the line you run behind Trent.  It was working all game.  They brought in an extra OL as TE to the left side as well.  That’s your play.  You don’t trust Paul as a blocking FB.  He’s really not that good a blocker anyway.  That play was on Gruden

It’s just unreal how unclutch this team can be all at once 

Defense is dominating for 3 and a half quarters. Saints weren’t doing **** 

nope, let’s just all have a group lobotomy and all at once stop even attempting to play the sport. That **** was insanely casual and easy. It’s almost impossible to fathom...if this wasn’t DC 

9 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Our defense is terrible. Period.

The defense absolutely collapsed at the end and it was absolutely pathetic. But up until that collapse they had held an offense that has dropped 50-burgers this season to 16 points so they actually played pretty well until they **** the bed. 

Offense, B+.  A lead that big that late should win a game.  Cousins moved the ball well throughout the game, great passes.  Got Crowder moving down the field late.  

Side note- 10 yard penalty, 10 second runoff AND starting the clock running is entirely too much of a penalty for something that is so insignificant.  That pass was a miscommunication, but the penalty is more severe than a roughing the passer penalty or running into the kicker.  You know, something that could actually cause bodily harm.  It was obviously a miscommunication, for the refs to call that intentional grounding was dumb.

Perine ran well, surprisingly well at times.... Cousins got everyone involved.  22/32 for 322, 10.1 yards, 3 touchdowns, and a 132.6 rating is great.  Anyone who says that Cousins is a reason for this loss has an axe to grind.

But a B+ because they couldn't get it done at the end when they had the 3rd and 1 in order to bail out the.....

...defense:  F.  Couldn't get it done.  Looked like complete ass in the final minutes of the game.  Giving up giant chunks of yards and looking like a deer in headlights.  Played very well for a stretch but they can't play a full 60 minutes at a time.  

Special teams:  Who cares.  

Coaching F.  One of the overriding themes about this team is that they can't close out the first half without pissing all over themselves and also have a hard time closing out the 2nd half, too.  Comes back to coaching and game plan.  

This was an all-timer.  This is a loss we'll be talking about for years.  A complete backbreaker.  Win today, get back to .500 with a winnable game on Thursday with an easier schedule ahead to close out the year.  

It's all out the window now.  It was there for the taking.  As usual, they **** the bed and roll around in it.

12 minutes ago, zskins said:

Someone please explain to me why we didn't just have Rose kick that long field goal after the intentional grounding call? NE kicker, you know who he is, just kicked a 62 yarder. Why don't our coaches take a chance when the game is on the line? Rose has a damn good leg too. 

This is a good point. I guess they were afraid of it being blocked and returned? Which, you know, after all that, doesn't seem so crazy.

3 minutes ago, drowland said:

Disagree.  3rd and 1, game on the line you run behind Trent.  It was working all game.  They brought in an extra OL as TE to the left side as well.  That’s your play.  You don’t trust Paul as a blocking FB.  He’s really not that good a blocker anyway.  That play was on Gruden

The play is there and a professional football player runs right by a guy going to stop the play and still blame the coach. Just amazing. Even an attempt at a block gets the first. You are only a step away from blaming Kirk like many on this board. The average football fan is something else. 

Just now, Bacon said:

This is a good point. I guess they were afraid of it being blocked and returned? Which, you know, after all that, doesn't seem so crazy.

I guess. But running instead of throwing should have been the call. Even if you get a couple of yards at least you are not totally out of field goal range. Neither of these two happened. During the game Gruden is all guts but at the end of the game he starts overthinking it! So sad. 

25 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

That intentional grounding call may have technically been correct, but I still think it is a garbage call.  At the least they need to change the language of that rule.  Cousins didn't deliberately throw it away, it was miscommunication between him and the receiver.  Defense is wack, we need a consistent pass rush.

I dont believe its correct at all if you look at the context of what an "intentional grounding" in this league pertains to. A miscue is not intentional grounding he was not under pressure or intimidated into throwing the ball .

12 minutes ago, zskins said:

We had 18 seconds after the runoff which is more than enough time to get another play in and spike it, IMO the problem is that we let the clock run down to like 6 seconds before snapping the ball.

I gotta go back and look but I'm pretty sure there was less than 10 seconds left by the time Kirk got the snap.

2 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

We had 18 seconds after the runoff which is more than enough time to get another play in and spike it, IMO the problem is that we let the clock run down to like 6 seconds before snapping the ball.

I gotta go back and look but I'm pretty sure there was less than 10 seconds left by the time Kirk got the snap.

Trust me if the refs were better trained on the rules of this game we wouldnt be talking about this phantom intentional grounding call. 

16 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

It’s just unreal how unclutch this team can be all at once 

Defense is dominating for 3 and a half quarters. Saints weren’t doing **** 

nope, let’s just all have a group lobotomy and all at once stop even attempting to play the sport. That **** was insanely casual and easy. It’s almost impossible to fathom...if this wasn’t DC 

Dunno, I'm starting to think that I'm wondering if our players have enough gas to finish the game...

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's all out the window now.  It was there for the taking.  As usual, they **** the bed and roll around in it.

two weeks in a row...

12 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Or the refs saying they whiffed on the ten second run off, and adds seconds back for the Saints to have a play or two...

8 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I dont believe its correct at all if you look at the context of what an "intentional grounding" in this league pertains to. A miscue is not intentional grounding he was not under pressure or intimidated into throwing the ball .

Yeah intentional grounding was created to prevent QB to throw the ball anywhere and avoid a sack.

Definately not the point here.

49 minutes ago, Burgold said:

3rd and one off tackle run instead of QB sneak, pass, or even a QB keeper. (Though I really can't fault them for the safest of third and one plays. You just have to make those.)

This was the pivotal play. 

BTW an off-tackle run is not the safest call here. It takes a long time to develop. It gives the D a chance to catch you in the backfield. 

Perine between Roullier and The Scherff would have been much better. 

When they lined up I knew what the play would be and that we would not get the first. Everyone knew except Jay ****ing Gruden. Jesus. 

I'm not sure I've ever seen a defensive meltdown as dramatic as the one I watched today.  They went from playing well, to completely inept.  Drew Brees didn't miss on a single pass after after the Redskins went up 31-16.  In overtime the Saints ran three plays:  a  20 yard run, a 31 yard run, and a 28 yard field goal. 

I'm not sure what happened but it was like they just flipped a switch and forgot how to play football. 

8 minutes ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

The play is there and a professional football player runs right by a guy going to stop the play and still blame the coach. Just amazing. Even an attempt at a block gets the first. You are only a step away from blaming Kirk like many on this board. The average football fan is something else. 

I’m not blaming Kirk for anything.  I’m blaming the HC for a bad play call on 3rd and 1.  The best blockers were lined up on the left side.  Run behind them.  If they don’t pick it up I don’t fault Gruden because it was his best bet.  Running right behind Niles Paul who everyone knows is not a true FB and is not even a good blocking TE is not a good play call.  

It’s like a coach drawing up an out of bounds play in basketball for 3 pt shot with a shooter who shoots a low % from 3 pt land.  WTF.  

Archived