Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saints vs. Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

It is going to be very interesting to see how they react to this.   If the trajectory remains up, then that will be a good sign for next year I guess.  But they could very well fold their tents and go home.  Vernon Davis was quoted in the paper today saying " of all the losses we have had since I have been here, this was by far the most devastating."  That is a really strong statement and if that is prevailing thought process of this team, they could really be flat on Thursday.  And they are playing at home.  

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think Gruden is safe (and rightfully so) as long as we don't crash and burn.  First test is Thursday.

I am of the mindset that Gruden & Cousins are sort of a package deal at this point. Cousins survived Shanahan's exit, McVay's exit and now Gruden's 3rd straight season of .500ish football.   I think once Snyder and the front office commit to starting over, they will be looking for a brand new HC/QB duo.

21 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am of the mindset that Gruden & Cousins are sort of a package deal at this point. Cousins survived Shanahan's exit, McVay's exit and now Gruden's 3rd straight season of .500ish football.   I think once Snyder and the front office commit to starting over, they will be looking for a brand new HC/QB duo.

Looking into the future [ hypothetically ] if Gruden and Cousins are gone, and the Redskins get a new HC and QB via the draft, like Rosen or Darnold or Mayfield, and they begin to blend and win after 2-4 years, does Allen pull the same stunt if the QB is successful by not wanting to pay him?

Now that I've had some time to reflect on yesterday's loss, I'll say this: we are competing against the top teams in the league with injuries at almost every key position (sometimes multiple injuries at the same position). Sadly, it feels like one of those snake bitten seasons, but I don't think anyone out there is taking us for granted. That's a massive departure from seasons past and I guess all we can hang our hat on at this point. Hopefully, we destroy the Giants on Thursday and my thanksgiving doesn't get ruined by a divisional loss. I still have nightmares about that Dallas loss on thanksgiving of 89 I believe. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

At minimum this stuff should result in compensatory picks.

I laugh but I'm really crying. Seriously, we're right in the playoff hunt with a win. Now we're likely relagated to draft purgatory and compensatory pick would be cool. 

Per NFL rulebook: 'Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.'

I'm not sure if some posted the gif of the play and absolute lack of pressure from defense, but yea, total BS. 

Watching MNF right now and Gruden refers to what he calls an obvious hold by Duane Brown, after a flag for holding. It's unfortunate that Ryan Kerrigan is held like that nearly every game at pivotal times and never gets that flag.  It happened several times on Sunday again.  Literally right in front of the refs.  It's apparent that they simply arent going to give him those calls ever.  

Maybe Kerrigan needs to work the refs, and tell the ref what is going to happen and to watch for it. 

I just watched the replay of the IG, and at no time did we see Jay or Kirk having a meltdown.  Refs are dumb, and refs are human. They can be influenced, but not if you don't try. 

What sucks about focusing on the next play vs protesting, was that we didn't look ready when the placed the ball and started the clock.  Kirk ran up behind the center, possibly complicating things, and sure enough he got freaking blindsided just blasted.

It was Vernon Davis that released his man free (not Perine). Cousins only hope was to get rid of the ball sooner to the wide open Crowder via a rub, near the right sideline.  Crowder had stopped and turned towards Kirk, who still hadn't started his throwing motion. 

On 11/19/2017 at 5:00 PM, Burgold said:

And that's the short list.

We see it every game. Once this team starts rolling, refs stifle their momentum, without fail. And usually at critical times. The Redskins have lost more games via bad or no calls in the last 3 years than I can remember. The NFL today is hard to watch. Why do referee's get so much soft treatment? Start laying fines on them. Their should be major adjustments and fine tuning in the rule book to allow the teams to decide games. NOT THE STRIPED OLD FARTS!

11 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Watching MNF right now and Gruden refers to what he calls an obvious hold by Duane Brown, after a flag for holding. It's unfortunate that Ryan Kerrigan is held like that nearly every game at pivotal times and never gets that flag.  It happened several times on Sunday again.  Literally right in front of the refs.  It's apparent that they simply arent going to give him those calls ever.  

Agree, just about every play Kerrigan DOESN'T get in the back field, he's being mugged. Ref's have too much control, and not enough eyes. Maybe there should be more ref's on the field.  NOOOO!!!   WTF did I just say! 

The refs blew it on that intentional grounding, no question about that. But the deeper (and more important) question, which affects not having the game actually get to that point: When will Gruden learn time management and effective game management at critical junctures in these contests. We had no timeouts at the end of the game. Again. Poor communication between coach and quarterback at a critical time. Again. Bad decision-making on a key play call at the tail end of the game. Again.

11 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Maybe Kerrigan needs to work the refs, and tell the ref what is going to happen and to watch for it. 

I just watched the replay of the IG, and at no time did we see Jay or Kirk having a meltdown.  Refs are dumb, and refs are human. They can be influenced, but not if you don't try. 

Something I'm not certain on, maybe someone has an answer.

In the final 2 minutes, automatic reviews are done upstairs on turnovers, fumbles, etc. Doesn't the upstairs crew have the ability to tell the ref on-field that it wasn't intentional grounding? I remember years back, Gibbs II, I think playing the Bills, where Gibbs had called a T.O., and the guys upstairs had determined there were too many Bills d-players on the field and a flag was thrown, but ONLY after a review.

18 hours ago, CTskin said:

Preston Smith's roughing the passer penalty was so brutal and it's overlooked because it was early in the game. We stopped them and it would have brought up 4th down and a punt, but instead they were gifted a 1st down and after a couple of gashing plays, they were in the end zone for their first TD of the game.

The D always seems to crumble in the face of adversity. No matter how strong they look during any given drive, quarter, half, etc., the second they get hit with a dagger they get bulldozed. 

That, and the interception by Fuller that wasn't because of the illegal use of hands penalty.  Game over if that int stands.

5 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Something I'm not certain on, maybe someone has an answer.

In the final 2 minutes, automatic reviews are done upstairs on turnovers, fumbles, etc. Doesn't the upstairs crew have the ability to tell the ref on-field that it wasn't intentional grounding? I remember years back, Gibbs II, I think playing the Bills, where Gibbs had called a T.O., and the guys upstairs had determined there were too many Bills d-players on the field and a flag was thrown, but ONLY after a review.

I don't believe intentional grounding can be reviewed because it is a judgment call.  If it were to be reviewed in any way I'm sure they could only look to see if the ball crossed the line of scrimmage.

On 11/19/2017 at 2:45 PM, Bacon said:

I'm not watching another Skins game this year. Life is too short and there's too much happening in my life to spend another second of it on this laughably inconsistent campaign. This just isn't our year.

Join the boat.  Haven't watched since SM was fired.  That was the end of any hope for consistent improvement.  If your team president is a clown, how surpised can you be when the circus comes to town every sunday?  Jokes on you, just stop watching, Danny will sell when the fans walk out an masse

4 hours ago, Koala said:

Join the boat.  Haven't watched since SM was fired.  That was the end of any hope for consistent improvement.  If your team president is a clown, how surpised can you be when the circus comes to town every sunday?  Jokes on you, just stop watching, Danny will sell when the fans walk out an masse

I've been on a monetary Redskins boycott for the very same reason. I lost all faith in permanent culture change at that point. 

11 hours ago, skinzplay said:

The refs blew it on that intentional grounding, no question about that. But the deeper (and more important) question, which affects not having the game actually get to that point: When will Gruden learn time management and effective game management at critical junctures in these contests. We had no timeouts at the end of the game. Again. Poor communication between coach and quarterback at a critical time. Again. Bad decision-making on a key play call at the tail end of the game. Again.

That sequence reminded me a little of last years SB. All Atlanta needed to do was run the ball while running down the clock, and even with no gain, kick the FG and then go pickup their rings. But they decided to get cute and it ended up a disaster on just about every down they attempted. They sort of just threw their kicker under the bus. We did the same thing in trying to get closer. After Crowders catch I said "Good we're at least in FG range." Knowing the Skins I wouldn't have taken any kind of chance of a fumble or INT and just kick it on 1 and 10. The Saints had no more time outs, and there was no way they could get down the field to do anything. Rose has been doing pretty good lately, and even if he had missed it at least we could say we had a good chance of winning it at that point. No, instead Gruden threw his kicker under the bus.

18 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I may have been missed that part but when did Gruden threw his kicker under the bus?

Your right, I got that wrong. I thought the phrase meant something like showing a lack of trust or faith in someone, so I take that back. Thanks.

Archived