Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saints vs. Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

36 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

You're taking that comment WAY out of context. NOWHERE does Kirk say he was generally "nervous", which is what you seem to be implying. The question was whether or not he talked to the ref about the flag for intentional grounding, and he said, paraphrasing, "No, I don't have time for that, I'm nervous about getting the next play called, the play clock running ..." In other words, he's focused on the fact that the game is winding down and isn't going to waste time arguing with the ref. 

Kirk made some mistakes, but he also played awesome for most of the game, again with very few weapons. He made some great, tough throws while taking a beating, too. While he made some mistakes, too, I thought he was the least of our problems today. 

That play call on third and less than a yard was possibly the most egregious thing to happen on the field for us the entire game. 

After listening to it again, you're right. You're also right about the third down. That play made me turn the TV off. He was the least. And the intentional grounding turned out to be officially a bad call by the ref. So there is that...

15 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

What makes this even worse is the fact that if you remember that play, when Kirk threw the ball there were no flags. When the play was over, there were no flags.  Then Buck & Aikman start talking about how Sean Payton is lobbying for an intentional grounding flag and when the camera goes back to the field, a flag is finally thrown.  So basically, the officials didn't even think there was a penalty until one was campaigned for by a coach. WTF.

21 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Where's the RAGE emiton on this forum for 'liking' posts?

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

What makes this even worse is the fact that if you remember that play, when Kirk threw the ball there were no flags. When the play was over, there were no flags.  Then Buck & Aikman start talking about how Sean Payton is lobbying for an intentional grounding flag and when the camera goes back to the field, a flag is finally thrown.  So basically, the officials didn't even think there was a penalty until one was campaigned for by a coach. WTF.

That's how 75% of intentional ground plays work. There's nothing special about that in this instance.

The refs need to know the rules. That's the problem.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

You cited an example of a coach asking Trent Williams to throw a deep out with a coach asking his H-back to to lead block as your illustration of a coach knowing what his players can do. Paul plays full back on a regular basis is our short yardage and goalline packages - it's not like Gruden just pulled this out of his ass.

Which is not at all saying they are the same thing. But there's no need in arguing that further.

We don't have anything like a real FB on our roster? Why? Because Gruden didn't want one. His offense didn't need one. Now, we've had multiple games turning on short yardage plays. Plays that Gruden seems to keep lining up and running the same way every time. Plays featuring a FB. Which we don't have, so he uses Paul, who isn't real good at it. And these plays continue to not work. And now games, and quite possibly the season, are going down the tubes because of it.

But I guess nonie of that is the responsibility of the head coach Apparently nothing is.

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

I want a ****ing rematch then! Doesn't have to be the whole game. Restart the game at the same spot on the field. Players make a mistake they get penalized. Refs make a mistake and the league just says, "My bad bro."

Last week, an older gentlemen, not from this country, leaned over to me and said you know these games are fixed. I figured we are at sports bar and he has lost too many bets. I think he might be right. :(

6 minutes ago, zskins said:

I want a ****ing rematch then! Doesn't have to be the whole game. Restart the game at the same spot on the field. Players make a mistake they get penalized. Refs make a mistake and the league just says, "My bad bro."

Last week, an older gentlemen, not from this country, leaned over to me and said you know these games are fixed. I figured we are at sports bar and he has lost too many bets. I think he might be right. :(

It's very unfortunate but it happens. Mistakes by refs happen to every team, they are part of the game. Nonetheless, it should have never even come to that point. I hope the team doesn't even consider that when analyzing the game.

Just now, NoCalMike said:

I am interested to see why Doctson disappeared in the 2nd half. I know the starting corner came back into the game, but it's not like Cousins wasn't targeting Doctson early on when that corner was there.

Was wondering the same. And Lattimore only returned for a couple of snaps but was then out again for the rest of the game I think. I was really surprised that we didn't even target him in the second half after it worked pretty good in the first.

Gruden as a play caller sucks!!!!!! He has no balls!!!! He calls plays like we have the #1 defense in the league. This is why this team can't turn the corner. Red Zone,B4 half, end of game he chokes every single time. Why do we not kick a field goal b4 half? It was what going to be a 55-56 harder? In a fu$& ing dome!!! Rose has been kicking the **** out of it!! Gruden is the problem!!! No Balls Gruden!!!!

My post game assessment is that we are not a good team.  We get excited over beating average to below average teams but we are not good enough to beat good teams.

It sucks that we are the 3rd best team in the NFCE and have a qb that is one of the highest paid qbs in the league but in all reality is only the 3rd best qb in the NFCE.....

4 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Is this some kind of adding insult to injury. Its almost better to say nothing at all. In context it feels like they were like,"Hey Bruce like how your team layed it out on the line, and at one of most critical parts of game, we give you a phantom call that rips the game from you? That was was us, because Sean Payton is our boy. **** you."

On a side note did anyone else wonder why Gruden was so quick to use our last time out?

I was shaking my head thinking they could have spiked the ball after the Crowder catch and still have plenty of time to get set up for a closer field goal. But this is an excellent example of horrible management in critical situations that hurt this team. It would prevented the miscues that killed this game. This isn't rocket science. They should have a plan or have someone who helps coordinate when the time out should be used.(another side note: this is why I don't like head coaches calling plays; cause they have too much to think about if they aren't prepared).

2 hours ago, bknp7 said:

Gruden as a play caller sucks!!!!!! He has no balls!!!! He calls plays like we have the #1 defense in the league. This is why this team can't turn the corner. Red Zone,B4 half, end of game he chokes every single time. Why do we not kick a field goal b4 half? It was what going to be a 55-56 harder? In a fu$& ing dome!!! Rose has been kicking the **** out of it!! Gruden is the problem!!! No Balls Gruden!!!!

While I share the frustration from time to time with his play-calling, I think he did a good job today. No balls? He went for it on 4th an 6 in the first half and called a fake punt 20 yards from our endzone. We had a balanced game in terms of passing/rushing ratio and were 3 of 3 in the redzone.

I did not like the run he called on 3rd and 0.5 to close the game, but that was about the only problem I had.

The field goal? How about blaming McGee for his false start to take us to a 56 or 57 yarder.

We had 465 yards and 31 points against the currently best defense of the NFL (number 1 in yards and points allowed in the last 7 games). This one is on the defense, not on play-calling.

Now I gonna throw some unpopular opinion here.

The lose is a kick in the balls, feels terrible. But I'm really feeling well about this team. Key players keep getting injured but the team keeps on fighting. We are going head to head with top teams in the NFL. Saints and Eagles don't blow us away, we are close in beating them. We just need to work on that killer mentality. Small mistakes cost us a 7-3 season instead of 4-6. 

So yeah last game sucked but it also shows hope. We really showed up against the better D and super hot team. 

Want to give some thumps up to Gruden. I.m.o. this game showed more aggression. He knows these are must win games if we want to stay in the hunt. The 4th down call and fake punt are examples of that. Just like some more deep shots.

6 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah that was terrible watching it on TV.

Heck, I like the Saints but I just can't stand Payton since that Bountygate. That was just disgusting to see.

5 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Which is not at all saying they are the same thing. But there's no need in arguing that further.

We don't have anything like a real FB on our roster? Why? Because Gruden didn't want one. His offense didn't need one. Now, we've had multiple games turning on short yardage plays. Plays that Gruden seems to keep lining up and running the same way every time. Plays featuring a FB. Which we don't have, so he uses Paul, who isn't real good at it. And these plays continue to not work. And now games, and quite possibly the season, are going down the tubes because of it.

So true, I haven't been fond of getting rid of the FB.

Hopefully, Jay will learn from this and grab one real good FB that can also work in reception. That could really be helpful.

I know it's a dying position in the NFL, but it really shows up when you need one and you don't.

5 hours ago, Panninho said:

It's very unfortunate but it happens. Mistakes by refs happen to every team, they are part of the game. Nonetheless, it should have never even come to that point. I hope the team doesn't even consider that when analyzing the game.

No, that's not unfortunate in this case.

It's not a mistake by the refs in this case, it's just the refs bowing to Sean Payton and granting him his wishes. You could bet that if this game is not in NOLA, those same refs would just have been deaf to him.

Sure it shouldn't have come to that point, but Refs are supposed to be reffing, not the opposing coach.

4 hours ago, bknp7 said:

Did you think his play call sucked when he called that fake Punt right after CT was injured and Kirk shaken up?

Not kicking the 55/56 yarder. I can understand that, you don't want to shaken up the confidence of your Young kicker by asking him to kick a tough FG that could derail him if he has to kick the winning one during OT.

3 hours ago, LavarArringtonMachine said:

My post game assessment is that we are not a good team.  We get excited over beating average to below average teams but we are not good enough to beat good teams.

It sucks that we are the 3rd best team in the NFCE and have a qb that is one of the highest paid qbs in the league but in all reality is only the 3rd best qb in the NFCE.....

I'm not sure both Wentz and Dak would look great here with the few weapons we have. Honestly, Kirk si straight balling this year. No run game, no real WR up until late... And we're torching some of the bests D out there.

3 hours ago, charles mannley said:

Is this some kind of adding insult to injury. Its almost better to say nothing at all. In context it feels like they were like,"Hey Bruce like how your team layed it out on the line, and at one of most critical parts of game, we give you a phantom call that rips the game from you? That was was us, because Sean Payton is our boy. **** you."

On a side note did anyone else wonder why Gruden was so quick to use our last time out?

I was shaking my head thinking they could have spiked the ball after the Crowder catch and still have plenty of time to get set up for a closer field goal. But this is an excellent example of horrible management in critical situations that hurt this team. It would prevented the miscues that killed this game. This isn't rocket science. They should have a plan or have someone who helps coordinate when the time out should be used.(another side note: this is why I don't like head coaches calling plays; cause they have too much to think about if they aren't prepared).

everyone keeps talking about the grounding play, this horrible defense horrible

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

Now I gonna throw some unpopular opinion here.

The lose is a kick in the balls, feels terrible. But I'm really feeling well about this team. Key players keep getting injured but the team keeps on fighting. We are going head to head with top teams in the NFL. Saints and Eagles don't blow us away, we are close in beating them. We just need to work on that killer mentality. Small mistakes cost us a 7-3 season instead of 4-6. 

So yeah last game sucked but it also shows hope. We really showed up against the better D and super hot team. 

Want to give some thumps up to Gruden. I.m.o. this game showed more aggression. He knows these are must win games if we want to stay in the hunt. The 4th down call and fake punt are examples of that. Just like some more deep shots.

I'm kind of in your camp. It helped that I realized the season ended weeks ago so a loss like this, as frustrating as it was, did not destroy me.  I see a team that lost it's best offensive play maker to go along with everything else, a team that has a guy's heel on the goal line on a punt and the ball moves from the 1 to the 20.  I see a team that got itself into position to win the game, only to lose on a bizarre intentional grounding call that was wrong.  But i also see a team that is incapable of converting on big short yardage over and over again and that simply has to be fixed.  

Can we FINALLY get out of the D'Angelo Hall business?  Enough of this guy already.  This loss was on the defense, obviously.  LOL at anyone blaming Kirk Cousins.  They have no pass rush with Allen out and Matt not the same. By the end of the game the pressure was non-existent. The crap DL we were all concerned about has shown it's ugly head.  I hated the signing of the M Brothers and they have proven me right, they both stink. 

But I was very excited to see the growth of Josh Doctson , he is running much more crisp routes and is showing his ability to make plays downfield.  Perine ran much better than I thought he could, that was encouraging but they need a more dynamic back there.  So some positives for sure including the QB.  That was a very good performance there and if you can't appreciate that your expectations are unrealistic.  

Archived