Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saints vs. Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

12 minutes ago, carex said:

when did Nicholson go out with a concussion?  I'm wondering if that was when the middle of the field opened up for the Saints

Yep, just heard on the radio that he had one. He sure has been in and out with it seems something all year long. Just wish he could stay on the field. cause Hall is done. 

39 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Those two are ****ing garbage. I’m so tired of teams in this city holding onto washed up old guys out of some sense of loyalty...even though they’ve never won anything here.

Hall was food all game. Speight just isn’t an NFL player. 

Id add fat ass Stacy McGee there as well 

Well that was one the front office for giving McGee big money when he obviously isn't worth it. Really disappointed that Spaight hasn't turned the corner. He makes one good play and then two bad ones. No consistency at all. 

This loss was huge and the injuries continue as well.  I picked them to go 8-8 but now lets hope they keep fighting or else their final record could be worse.

I do not want to hear excuses from the coaches or the players.  Hall should not have been added to the roster now because he cannot cover any more.  In fact Hall should go to Manusky and tell him he is retiring immediately so the team can bring in a safety to replace him.   Brees picked on him the entire 4th quarter and even Hall's teammates were really upset with him over one of his blown coverages.  My Skins buddy on the West Coast called me at the end of the 3rd quarter all excited and I told him not to celebrate because the Saints have Drew Brees.   I can imagine Snyder telling Allen tomorrow that he wants to sign the 39 year old Brees for next year.

1 hour ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

First down if Paul doesn't whiff. And you mean that up the gut play everyone has been complaining about all season? I would have preferred a 1 pass option boot on both 2nd and 3rd but the play he called was there. Sorry, not on coaching. 

I respectfully disagree. I think he called a great game...except that play. 

11 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

i'll add something about what happened in the last 3 minutes. it wasn't just the redskins that stopped a win from happening. the intentional grounding penalty was BS in my opinion, and from what I've read this evening, most others feel the same way. I don't think it should have been a penalty. kirk was in no "imminent danger" of being sacked when he threw the pass. 

The thing with the intentional grounding....the Redskins didn't even argue the call.  Atleast from what was shown on TV.  I don't know what Gruden or Cousin said happened on that play after the game.  Did Crowder run the wrong route?  Watching the replay of it, it looked like Cousins recognized the Saints had the play covered and were bringing the blitz so he just bailed on the play.  

Gruden had called two runs to the left twice and got great yardage from Perine- four and five yards each time.  All he had to do was call another running play to the left again, but instead he calls the play to the right and New Orleans stuffs the run for no yardage gained.  With a first down by running left he can run out the clock and there is no overtime and instead a huge Skins victory.

7 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Gruden was saying something about the tackle being lined up on the wrong side so maybe Paul was supposed to be to the left.

Either way this game ending has to be on coaching. There's just no way you completely blow the final 5 minutes of at least 1 half of every single game.

They just saved this games meltdown for the 4th. Usually it comes in the 2nd and then if required they might do another in the 4th.

It's actually kind of hilarious since I never expect this team to win any more. Kirk Cousins has to be thinking GET ME THE **** OUT OF HERE!!!

12 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I don't know how you can say the call was wrong when a player flat out missed. I just don't understand that perspective. If he called a run to the left and there was an unblocked player because they overloaded that side, would you have said great call? I would have called boots on both 2nd and 3rd down but that doesn't change the missed assignment costing us the first down. The play was there. I wouldn't expect professional players miss that badly. It's not like he was over powered. He wasn't beat. He flat out ignored the guy going by him. That's on Paul IMO. Not the coach. 

Yep, he may have bailed on the play, and quickly to preserve time.  Maybe tried to make it look like a simple incorrect route and got punked. He and Jay should have lobbied early and often if it was an incorrect route, or not.

Imminent pressure and non imminent pressure is only about .25 seconds difference, maybe .5?  What if he felt there was IP, but really wasn't.  Is a throw away, allowed then.

This team is pretty close. Given their adversity, and again playing against one of the best teams in the league (a weekly occurrence), a couple of breaks or a smarter playcall and they win going away.

Address the problems, learn from mistake,s continue to pour it on with the offense.

Today they had a focused running attack and it was very successful. Perine can carry the load. 

the tight ends balled out,, their best game as a unit by far. the OL played an outstanding game except for two costly sacks at the end.

if Fuller's finger lands four inches lower or doesn't catch the tip on the facemask, game over. Huge win.

If Crowder braks out even a single step, field goal, game over. Huge win

The Saints are a Super Bowl contender. 
We're not yet. But we're a lot closer than we are far away.

fix the mistakes, move forward. Only four days, no time to worry over this. Losing to the Giants on national TV,, now THAT would be a problem.

~Bang

19 minutes ago, Bang said:

This team is pretty close. Given their adversity, and again playing against one of the best teams in the league (a weekly occurrence), a couple of breaks or a smarter playcall and they win going away.

Address the problems, learn from mistake,s continue to pour it on with the offense.

Today they had a focused running attack and it was very successful. Perine can carry the load. 

the tight ends balled out,, their best game as a unit by far. the OL played an outstanding game except for two costly sacks at the end.

if Fuller's finger lands four inches lower or doesn't catch the tip on the facemask, game over. Huge win.

If Crowder braks out even a single step, field goal, game over. Huge win

The Saints are a Super Bowl contender. 
We're not yet. But we're a lot closer than we are far away.

fix the mistakes, move forward. Only four days, no time to worry over this. Losing to the Giants on national TV,, now THAT would be a problem.

~Bang

I agree.  I hate to see the skins loose, but am optimistic.  Prefer them to get a few missing pieces this off season than to limp into the off season and get destroyed. 

fewer and fewer weaknesses when healthy

36 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Usually grounding is called when a QB is definitely going down and he chucks it out at the last possible second.

That call was moronic.

I'm hearing this complaint a lot and in one respect it's fair, but on the other... everyone knows that Kirk was throwing the ball away intentionally. If there is something called intentionally grounding the ball that ought to fall under its purview. He wasn't trying to complete a pass. He was sailing it safely out of bounds. It was a bad play. Kirk thought he had no play, didn't want to take a sack and tried to reset. Did a receiver screw up? Maybe, but Kirk should have heaved that ball out of bounds where a receiver actually was or just throw it into the heal of a blocking tight end.

now, It probably shouldn't have been flagged as refs almost never call intentional grounding even when it's the most obvious thing in the world that that's what the QB was trying to do. Still... let's call a brain dead play a brain dead play.

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

Thats fine but the reason it's a penalty is because it's thrown away to avoid a sack. What Cousins did was the same thing as spiking the ball. Guess he should just do that instead though.

Yeah, it's ticky tack. I was more annoyed by them taking away Fuller's interception. That was overall a great play by him and it would have been easy and normal for a ref to overlook the incidental contact. I mean heck the refs were fine with ignoring a very late hit out of bounds against our running back and a clear spear against our quarterback.

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

Thats fine but the reason it's a penalty is because it's thrown away to avoid a sack. What Cousins did was the same thing as spiking the ball. Guess he should just do that instead though.

I don't think you can spike it out of the shotgun.  Has to be under center and the clock has to be running.  The last play went out of bounds so the clock was stopped.  As Burgold said he should have thrown it at a receiver's feet or sailed to the other side where a receiver was in the area.  

Obviously we had the game won and you can point to a boat load of plays, between offense, defense & special teams, where if we would've made a play- just one play- we would've closed out the game. You can point the blame on coaches, players- whatever. But the bottom line is we lost another game we should've won.

I know we have injuries, but we have enough out there and are more than competitive enough to win these games were losing. It is execution at critical points of games in all three phases, or lack there of, that is costing us in all our losses more so than injuries are to blame. On O we can't get a foot to close out the game today in a game where we, ironically, ran the ball relatively well for the first time in two months. Cousins has played well, but he's had some costly picks this year when not under pressure (red zone first Philly game & just before half last week). And dropped balls by receivers at crucial times has been costly. On D we've had the opposing QB sacked ( Wentz both Philly games, Keenum last week) only to watch him slip away and complete a pass for a huge gain or TD or run for a first down, or our DB's have been torched or been flagged on crucial downs. Special teams has had a chip shot FG blocked that turned the game in Dallas' favor and today had our player step on the goal line on a punt that should've been downed inside the 1 yd. line.

I know a lot of people feel we're headed in the right direction, but what I see is a whole lot of the same crap I've been seeing for the past 25 years. Today reminded me of a loss in the Norv Turner era when we had a good offense and could score points, but couldn't make the plays on offense, defense or special teams to close out games and therefore would lose a ton of games we should've won. I'm a fan of 43 years and love this franchise. I watch every game and root for the Skins no matter our record and certainly will be on Thanksgiving night. But what I see now in this team is the same lack of execution at crucial times in the game that I've seen with most Redskin teams over the past quarter century and I'd be lying if I said I have any confidence that is going to change under the current regime.

3 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

This was the pivotal play. 

BTW an off-tackle run is not the safest call here. It takes a long time to develop. It gives the D a chance to catch you in the backfield. 

Perine between Roullier and The Scherff would have been much better. 

When they lined up I knew what the play would be and that we would not get the first. Everyone knew except Jay ****ing Gruden. Jesus. 

If Paul does his job and blocks the inside 'backer Perine gets the first down. If McGee doesn't jump offsides we attempt a FG before the half rather than having to punt. If the defense cover someone and tackle we don't give up 15 points in the last 3 minutes. In overtime the Saints call two run plays, pick up 50 yards (running back not touched until they are 20 yards past the LOS) and kick the winning FG. 

At some point it's on execution. I'm not blaming coaching.

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, it's ticky tack. I was more annoyed by them taking away Fuller's interception. That was overall a great play by him and it would have been easy and normal for a ref to overlook the incidental contact. I mean heck the refs were fine with ignoring a very late hit out of bounds against our running back and a clear spear against our quarterback.

Incidental or not Fuller hooked the WR's facemask and pulled it while the WR was trying to come out of his break.  It was the right call.  It's more annoying when that happens away from the play and they call it.  This time it impacted the play.  

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

At some point it's on execution. I'm not blaming coaching.

At the moment I'm blaming everyone... even the beer guy up in the nosebleeds. His beer was too damn warm and that's why we lost the game! Honestly though, this was an incredible team win trumped by an even worse team collapse.

1 hour ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

I don't know how you can say the call was wrong when a player flat out missed. I just don't understand that perspective. If he called a run to the left and there was an unblocked player because they overloaded that side, would you have said great call? I would have called boots on both 2nd and 3rd down but that doesn't change the missed assignment costing us the first down. The play was there. I wouldn't expect professional players miss that badly. It's not like he was over powered. He wasn't beat. He flat out ignored the guy going by him. That's on Paul IMO. Not the coach. 

Ok..I'll explain it alittle.more.for you. Gruden should have never put Paul in that position is the first place. It's already known he's not the strongest blocker, plus he's been injured most of the season...Therefore never should have even been in that position. So THAT is on the coach. Cousins probably could have gotten the first down himself by falling down forward. So...Therefore on the coach and don't see how you can't see that.

2 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Ok..I'll explain it alittle.more.for you. Gruden should have never put Paul in that position is the first place. It's already known he's not the strongest blocker, plus he's been injured most of the season...Therefore never should have even been in that position. So THAT is on the coach. Cousins probably could have gotten the first down himself by falling down forward. So...Therefore on the coach and don't see how you can't see that.

He plays fullback on those plays. In what world do you not have him lead block on short yardage?

20 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I was just gonna post something similar. Coaches have to know what their players can and can't do. If we lose a game because Trent Williams fails to throw a deep out, it's not because he screwed up or because of bad luck, it's that the coach didn't put his players in position to win.

Archived