Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saints vs. Redskins Post Game Assessments

Burgold

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm sorry. The name of the game is get one more point than the other guy. The Redskins shot themselves in the foot over the last 3 minutes and that includes the O. They even found a way to louse up a great recovery drive to give them a chance at a last minute field goal. First, by the questionable intentional grounding and then by not snapping the ball with the clock running for 10 seconds when there's only eighteen lefts and then all the other screwups like costing themselves a chance at a long field goal at the end of the half and then surrendering a field goal to the Saints.

Maybe, but seriously, I hardly blame them, they did all they could and that should have never come down to this as the D should have hold their ground in those 5 minutes...

Again with this illusion that the 'Skins have a top defense.  Come on people, we know what this defense is.  The Saints are a top offense in the NFL, were you really expecting them to hold the Saints under 30?  The 'Skins offense had multiple chances to seal this game when they got to 31 points.

Just because this defense has improved, doesn't mean they are suddenly dominant.  Bottomline is the offense had the ball in their hands 3-4 times in the 4th quarter with a chance to seal the damn game.

1 minute ago, DM72 said:

My assessment? Thanksgiving would have been so much better if we had won. 

I would have been so up for the Giants game. Now, I could care less what happens.

Yeah, I'll probably recover enough to watch, but the season is over for all intents and purposes. If not about the injuries then about the losses. Hope Trent Williams shuts it down and gets his surgery. No need to risk his future any further.

Just now, DM72 said:

My assessment? Thanksgiving would have been so much better if we had won. 

I would have been so up for the Giants game. Now, I could care less what happens.

I mean, yeah it definitely would have been better. but we are still in the wildcard race if we win on Thursday night. which, I mean, come on, its against the 2-8 giants...we HAVE TO win. that puts us at 5-6, and makes the following Thursday night game in dallas huge. dallas would be still without Ezekiel Elliot. 

I wouldn't give up hope YET. however, if we lose Thursday night, yeah i'd say our playoff hopes will be pretty much over.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, I'll probably recover enough to watch, but the season is over for all intents and purposes. 

I don't agree with this. a win on Thursday night puts us at 5-6, with 5 games left. one of those 5 games is against a dallas team that without zeke, we could win. the final 4 games? we can win those. 

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yeah, I'll probably recover enough to watch, but the season is over for all intents and purposes. If not about the injuries then about the losses. Hope Trent Williams shuts it down and gets his surgery. No need to risk his future any further.

With Lauvao that went down again, I don't think we'll leave Trent go anywhere right now.

NSheke can play as he showed today but crap....

So sick of injuries....

1 minute ago, Wildbunny said:

Maybe, but seriously, I hardly blame them, they did all they could and that should have never come down to this as the D should have hold their ground in those 5 minutes...

The offense played their way out of a game winning field goal attempt by shear bloody incompetence. When was the last time you've seen a QB called for intentional grounding twice in one damned half. And yes, we won the game way too many times to lose it.

False start kills a field goal attempt at the end of the half.

Perfect punt fails because defender keeps backing up into the endzone.

****ty, ****ty defense.

3rd and one off tackle run instead of QB sneak, pass, or even a QB keeper. (Though I really can't fault them for the safest of third and one plays. You just have to make those.)

Intentional grounding steals the game winning field goal attempt.

Refs steal the game winning interception.

Gah!

6 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

To be fair, the defense also kept an incredibly potent offense that has dropped 50-burgers this year to only 16 points until the final awful, pathetic collapse. IMO both the defense and the offense played well and then fell apart in crunch time. S.O.P. for this team it seems.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

To be fair, the defense also kept an incredibly potent offense that has dropped 50-burgers this year to only 16 points until the final awful, pathetic collapse. IMO both the defense and the offense played well and then fell apart in crunch time. S.O.P. for this team it seems.

I agree, that's what I said in my original assessment, D was really fine the whole game as Brees and the Saints are no gimme.

So I don't know why they failed like this in the end...

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

You do a run right up the gut...or a QB sneak you get the first...it was like 2 feet. Therefore ****ty ass call

Had Gruden call such kind of play and failed, people around here would also call it a ****ty call.

Just now, Xameil said:

You do a run right up the gut...or a QB sneak you get the first...it was like 2 feet. Therefore ****ty ass call

First down if Paul doesn't whiff. And you mean that up the gut play everyone has been complaining about all season? I would have preferred a 1 pass option boot on both 2nd and 3rd but the play he called was there. Sorry, not on coaching. 

Ugh. 

Hate to fault the O for anything but that Cousins IG really hurt and was the play of the game. Even if it was the wrong route, he should be able to see no one there, right?   The other, was Jay feeling it trying to smash Perine on 3rd and 1. A team was literally never more ripe for PA all season, since we finally had a back at 100+ yards. 

Our D looked in prevent/zone on those final 2 drives... not sure but if so I don't approve as per usual. I seem to remember the death sentence 3 man rush.

The Allen challenge was not a 100% terrible idea up 15 late, but he needs to actually watch the replay first. Take his buzzer.

It sucks they couldn't win that one for CT, who has carried this team as much as anyone this far.

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

NOOOOO YOU DON'T DESERVE KIRK NOOOOOO THE FAN BASE IS LETTING HIM DOWN OH I HOPE HE GOES SOMEWHERE HE IS APPRECIATED NOOOOO YOU DON'T DESERVE HIM

Let me tell you guys, (im the biggest homer there is but im a stickler to the rules of anything) Kirk Cousins was called for a bull**** intentional grounding call, anyone can look up the rule right now and you will see he was not in imminent danger of throwing the ball (that is the only time a grounding call should be called). Hands down point blank we have had numerous other egregious called against us but this one is going to sting. SHOULD the defense have stopped them up 15 ? YES. Did we have other chances to win this game? YES. But that doesnt mean that a call so poorly called in live action should not be defensible in the game absolutely garbage and just like how Russel Wilson and the Seahawks were given a free play at the end of that game the league needs to look at this and say they were WRONG.

Has there ever been a professional football team more completely helpless at converting a third-and-one? When the Saints converted a routine QB sneak a few minutes earlier, did Jay Gruden wonder vaguely if the Skins might be able to do the same thing? You know, like every other team in the flipping league?

What the hell is going on with our secondary, ever since Norman came back from his injury we've been poor.

The offense was very good all day, Kirk played great but he deserves criticism for that last drive, not just because he didn't recognize the WR ran the wrong route (if that's what happened) but not getting the offense set and being aware that the clock would start after the 10 second runoff was just as bad, the two combined cost us about 16 or 17 seconds.

I'm officially sour on Jay, if Kirk cant run a QB sneak then practice it until he can, we were 6 inches from a win.

We are the worst at calling run plays in short yardage, our O line isn't great at run blocking so why go off tackle on a HUGE 3rd and inches.

The worst part of this game is our season is over, we might as well shelf Trent and anyone else who is playing with an injury that could get worse.

Montae Nicholson's body isn't going to make it long in this league.

That intentional grounding call may have technically been correct, but I still think it is a garbage call.  At the least they need to change the language of that rule.  Cousins didn't deliberately throw it away, it was miscommunication between him and the receiver.  Defense is wack, we need a consistent pass rush.

6 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Had Gruden call such kind of play and failed, people around here would also call it a ****ty call.

Nah. A quarterback sneak for half a yard? I don't think anyone would fault him for that. If the players can't execute the simplest play in the book, that really is on players. Calling a stretch play, relying on every single player to execute to perfection on the biggest play of the entire game? That was a ****ty call. Gruden is responsible for the players not being focused in crunch time, and he's responsible for not finding a way to minimize the damage that unfocused players have on the team. A QB sneak is sandlot stuff, blind strength.

53 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Refs: **** you refs. You sure threw convenient flags. You didn't call a bad game, but that Fuller interception should have stood. Crowder was mauled and should have gotten a first down on a PI. There were a number of really crappy non calls. The Redskins wilted, but **** you too.

They also cost us a field goal attempt to win the game....that was not "Intentional Grounding". http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/intentionalgrounding those are the rules there is not one angle or anything on that play where cousins was under pressure what occurred was an offensive miscue which is not a penalty.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Nah. A quarterback sneak for half a yard? I don't think anyone would fault him for that. If the players can't execute the simplest play in the book, that really is on players. Calling a stretch play, relying on every single player to execute to perfection on the biggest play of the entire game? That was a ****ty call. Gruden is responsible for the players not being focused in crunch time, and he's responsible for not finding a way to minimize the damage that unfocused players have on the team. A QB sneak is sandlot stuff, blind strength.

You've been around here long enough Nicky to know that it's just not true...

Just like our Fake Punt call. That was a ****ing great call, because it worked.

Archived