Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Confidence I Haven't Had in 25 Years

kleese

This is one of those wins you can be pretty happy about, but not really proud of.  Offense and defense both got it done in the clutch, but both had stretches of not so good play.  

As others have said, they're lacking some of the consistency they need to truly turn the corner, but they've made strides.  

It's always nice to see the depth and younger guys step up (defense mainly), but you hate to see starters go down.  

After LA, Oakland and the Chiefs game, I had a lot of confidence about playing Philly.  We got the win today (against a niners team that's maybe not as bad as their record), but the offense was uneven and the defense is hurting... color me concerned about facing Philly now. 

2 hours ago, zoony said:

As long as there continue to be games like today, threads like these will continue to be compete nonsenss coming out of the mouths of homers

Far from nonsense.

A win is a win.

Victories in the NFL aren't Miss America pageants. They aren't judged for beauty. All that matters in the final record is whether they won or not.

You'll appreciate this win more at the end of the year. :) 

55 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

As others have said, they're lacking some of the consistency they need to truly turn the corner, but they've made strides.  

There is no such thing as consistency in today's NFL.

You play well when you play well and hope your down times aren't too down and try to make enough plays late in games to win.

3 hours ago, zoony said:

As long as there continue to be games like today, threads like these will continue to be compete nonsenss coming out of the mouths of homers

Yeah this team isn't ready to be anything special.

Things change, but I don't see it right now. We're amazingly mediocre all things considered. That is - at moments we look good enough to surprise, but big picture we're mediocre.

4 hours ago, zoony said:

b As long as there continue to be games like today, threads like these will continue to be compete nonsenss coming out of the mouths of homers

Since I started the thread I will assume you are directing your nonsense and homer comments at me.... 

This game changes very little in my perception. Others for some reason prescribed this week to the "Redskins must not only win but win pretty" mantra. I was never on that bandwagon and if you read my comments from earlier in the thread I stated so prior to this game. 

Now, sure as a fan, my heart rate and frustration level both went much much higher today than I would have liked and I was absolutely more relieved than thrilled when that game finally ended. But it ended the way we needed it to end-- with a W. A loss would have been crushing. They avoided that. They are 3-2. Had they won 34-3 it's not like they'd be 3.5-2 right now or something. 

I just don't know how much more evidence people need to understand that this is a week to week league now. The Browns seem to be about the only team immune to that. To say that not only does a team need to win in a given week but that they need to win in a certain STYLE very much seems to ignore what's happening in the NFL. 

So the Steelers get lambasted at home by the Jags. Well, maybe it's because the Jags D is legit? Well, then the Jags go out and have a hard time stopping the Rams and lose at home. Well, maybe that's because the Rams offense is legit? Oh, the same offense that mustered 10 points the week prior in a home loss? Meanwhile, the Steelers who already have losses to Chicago and Jacksonville under their belt go into the undefeated Chiefs and win today. 

The Niners are now 0-6, but they are also now the only team in NFL history to lose 5 straight by three points or less-- three in the final 15 seconds and the other two in OT. Are they good? No, not even close. Are they "bad?" Yes, the probably are. Are they a competitive NFL team week to week? Obviously, yes. 

Now, I understand that even in a win confidence can be shaken; just like how in a loss confidence can be gained (see Chiefs game). Here's why the game today did little to move the needle in either direction for me: 

1. The secondary is a MASH unit. Started the day down 50% of your starters back there. Ended the day, including the entire 4th quarter, down 75% of your starters. This of course includes both of your starting CB's. Then, three other guys in the defensive backfield all go down during the game at various points. Of course this is going to eventually bite you. And yes, if we go into Philly without Breeland and Norman that will absolutely rock my confidence level. But hopefully those will be short-term issues. 

2. The biggest play of the day in terms of keeping the game tight was the VD non-fumble. I challenge anyone to find any post I've ever had that complains about officiating or a call, but that one really ticked me off-- it was 100% clear he was down. And that play really changed the game. 

3. After they tied it, we responded well. A 9-0 run which included two long scoring drives from the offense and a stop/forced punt from the D. The Niners subsequent TD drive was maddening (especially giving up a long TD),  but again I think they can be attributed directly to injuries. Let's say the Eagles lost both starting offensive tackles and one of their guards next week-- don't you think that would affect their level of play? The old "injuries aren't an excuse" thing is stupid. NFL teams should all account for a "normal" number of injuries, but sometimes you reach a level in either overall volume or a specific area where it becomes unrealistic to expect the same results. 

4. We ultimately DID stop them. They had first and 10 at our 40 and yes, I thought we were going to lose. But they gave up zero ground from there and found a way to close it out. Same may say, "same ole' Redskins." By that do you mean, making a clutch defensive stop at the end of the game? 

Before this game it was really all about getting to 3-2 to set up the Philly game next week. Whether we won by 2 or 42, it was just about getting to the Philly game without suffering a crushing loss before. They managed to do it. Now, it's on to Philly and an entirely new week. 

I very much like our chances next Monday. This could be altered depending on that injury report. 

A decent win today.  They tried to botch it at the end, IMO they were lucky they didn't.  

Once again, they get up early and just when you think they're gonna drive a dagger home they can't get it done and allow the other team to get back in it.

I like the fact that they're stepping up and punching teams in the mouth to start the game.  I'd just like to see that followed with a swift uppercut or two to finish the job.

3 hours ago, kleese said:

Since I started the thread I will assume you are directing your nonsense and homer comments at me.... 

<EDITED FOR LENGTH, RULE 11>

I want to copy and paste this and just use it as a reply for many posts, it'd save so much time.

I think we just have many fans on this forum who simply do not watch other teams play, only the Redskins.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I want to copy and paste this and just use it as a reply for many posts, it'd save so much time.

I think we just have many fans on this forum who simply do not watch other teams play, only the Redskins.

I actually think that's possible, if not highly likely. The comments really don't make sense otherwise. You see the Saints squander a 45-10 lead today? Yes, it was 45-10 and the Lions eventually had the ball with a chance to tie at the end. They pay the other teams too. Oh, and the defending NFC Champs? They also had a 17-0 lead today. And lost. To Miami. At home. Making it their second straight home loss-- The other one being to Buffalo, who then lost to a one-win Bengals team who had only previously defeated the Browns.

3 minutes ago, kleese said:

I actually think that's possible, if not highly likely. The comments really don't make sense otherwise. You see the Saints squander a 45-10 lead today? Yes, it was 45-10 and the Lions eventually had the ball with a chance to tie at the end. They pay the other teams too. Oh, and the defending NFC Champs? They also had a 17-0 lead today. And lost. To Miami. At home. Making it their second straight home loss-- The other one being to Buffalo, who then lost to a one-win Bengals team who had only previously defeated the Browns.

Yeah, the NFL is bonkers this season. People like to scream we "AREN'T CONSISTENT OMG" but we're actually consistently pretty solid at least compared to the league average. We haven't had the massive swings like other teams have had. Maybe we will with all the injuries we're suffering, but we'll see.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah, the NFL is bonkers this season. People like to scream we "AREN'T CONSISTENT OMG" but we're actually consistently pretty solid at least compared to the league average. We haven't had the massive swings like other teams have had. Maybe we will with all the injuries we're suffering, but we'll see.

And as we speak, the 0-5 Giants take a 17-3 lead on the road in Denver.... People can keep their style points. I'll take the W

Fellow fans, consider this:

I have a theory that this season represents a transition period in The League.  With the clear decline of New England (and Seattle), there is a void in The NFL.  There are no dominant teams. (and the Rodgers injury furthers this state of affairs)

Therefore, we're seeing a chaotic period--every week--as things sort themselves out.  A new generation of Contenders will rise from this uncertainty.  Maybe not by season's end, but by the decade's end we will have a new core of Top Teams.  

And I say all of this to say that I think two NFC East Teams will be part of this new guard. Maybe three (if that 3rd team can get its act together ;))

And Jay & Kirk can put us in a prime position to be one of them.  That's where I see this Program headed.
(and I'm on record as saying our window is open: because it is)

41 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I will admit that I really only watch the Redskins play 

But if they at least go 1-1 over the next 2 games confidence will still be high for me at least

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Don't quote large chunks of text, brother (rule 11). I edited out for you this time around.

It’s easier now more than ever to avoid that since you can highlight any section of a post and a “quote this” button will pop up. It’s all about being considerate and not forcing others to scroll down all the way through something they’ve already scrolled through once. :) 

10 hours ago, kleese said:

Before this game it was really all about getting to 3-2 to set up the Philly game next week. Whether we won by 2 or 42, it was just about getting to the Philly game without suffering a crushing loss before. They managed to do it. Now, it's on to Philly and an entirely new week. 

I very much like our chances next Monday. This could be altered depending on that injury report. 

At least, not having won this game by 42 points will gave the coaches an excuse to refocus everyone for next game.

Sometimes, winning too easily puts everyone at rest and you look unprepared the next game.

Now we're at a point where we barely beat a bottom feeder and have to focus, heal, and get everyone ready for a tough division matchup. So, that's not as bad as it seems, our guys will be ready to fight, depending on that injury report yes.

For those that think injuries are not an excuse, well go tell that to the Packers... Sure they do feel confident right now.

I can admit that I didn't have much confidence that the Redskins' D would hold up. I cheered when Dunbar made that great play batting away Beathard's pass, but then it staggered me when Garcon tracked it down and caught it in bounds anyway. What a play! I breathed a little sigh when Garcon redeemed himself by getting the offensive PI called against him, but at that point I was all nerves and no confidence.

9 hours ago, Diehard Otis said:

Fellow fans, consider this:

I have a theory that this season represents a transition period in The League.  With the clear decline of New England (and Seattle), there is a void in The NFL.  There are no dominant teams. (and the Rodgers injury furthers this state of affairs)

Therefore, we're seeing a chaotic period--every week--as things sort themselves out.  A new generation of Contenders will rise from this uncertainty.  Maybe not by season's end, but by the decade's end we will have a new core of Top Teams.  

And I say all of this to say that I think two NFC East Teams will be part of this new guard. Maybe three (if that 3rd team can get its act together ;))

And Jay & Kirk can put us in a prime position to be one of them.  That's where I see this Program headed.
(and I'm on record as saying our window is open: because it is)

Kirk needs to sign and LTD here...

I guess that's the difference between a championship mentality and the mentality of a fan base that hasn't won a damn thing in a quarter of a century. 

Championship caliber teams aren't pleased or satisfied with wins like yesterday. 

Maybe it's easier for me to see since I live in Massachusetts and work in boston. 

The quote from gruden about feeling like we are turning a corner because we're upset about that victory was music to my ears. 

I'm no longer satisfied with ugly wins,  I want to kick some ass. 

And I'm all out of bubble gum. 

My biggest gripe was the feeling of getting up early and just knowing, KNOWING, that we would have no urgency and fall asleep on offense until the end of the game.  Every game just seems to have that feeling of "ok we executed a scoring drive, time for phase 2 -  take this quarter off, dick around on offense, half ass a bunch of 3 and outs, and wait for the other team to score so we can keep playing"

Archived