Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Confidence I Haven't Had in 25 Years

kleese

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Question is how good are the Panthers without Luke K.  The entire game changed the minute he went out.  Same thing with the boys, when they loose Lee they are just about the worse D in the league.  Thats what happens when you depend on one super good player.  We may also experience this if Trend can't play, lets hope we have an answer for that.

Not sure what that has to do with the Eagles D forcing two "lucky" turnovers.

I still think we have a chance on MNF but they're not a fraud.  

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Stop bringing up luck. You guys sound like sore haters. The Eagles are legit. Best team in the NFC and easily top 2-3 team in the league at the moment.

Doesn't mean we can't beat them, but all this "they got lucky this they got lucky that" just makes you all sound like children.

Sounds like it's coming from someone who didn't watch the game... If I used the word "fortunate" instead of "lucky," would you approve? 

They got 4 FORTUNATE turnovers that resulted in red zone field position in the two games in which they've played against respectable teams. Forgive me for believing that games will be different when that doesn't occur.

2 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

Not sure what that has to do with the Eagles D forcing two "lucky" turnovers.

I still think we have a chance on MNF but they're not a fraud.  

I don't think anyone is calling them a fraud.  What i was saying is overall the game leaned heavily in the Eagles favor the minute Luke K went out.  Their DL is very good, but I believe we can at least handle them to the point that KC can take advantage of their weaker D unit which is their secondary.  

Its funny how everyone is worried about their DL.  What I am worried about is Wentz off schedule plays, this is what hurt us against them, and what hurt us against Alex Smith.  And yesterday once again Wentz was able to get out of a crazy 3rd and 25 deep in their own end and he makes it with his feet and then they score a TD.  Can't have that happen.

I'm not freaking out about the Eagles yet. I do not think they are a fraud, but I also am not ready to proclaim them as a 12-4 team that will be the #1 seed in the NFC. Every year in the NFL there is at least one team that gets off to a hot start (Vikings last year anyone?) and then fades. I don't think the Eagles will TANK, but I do think a "fade" is possible for sure. Wentz worries me-- he looks a lot better this year and his playmaking ability is top notch when he faces pressure. But I don't fear their other offensive weapons and I think overall offensively they are sort of getting by right now on a mixture of guts and good fortune.

Their defense is legitimately good. If they are great, then maybe the Eagles will continue this roll-- but I think their back 7 (especially their CBs) can be exposed. I also am not real big on Pederson-- this is more of a gut feel than anything else-- he certainly hasn't done anything to really criticize yet in his tenure there. But I get a bit of Norv feel from him overall.

I'll say this, assuming we win Sunday, I don't like that spot for us on MNF, I LOVE it. I think that game will have set up perfectly for us which is why I was honestly kind of rooting for Philly against Carolina. No doubt if they beat us to go 6-1 and go 3-0 in the East, they will set themselves up as the clear favorite to win the division (although, even if they did beat us that night I wouldn't start printing the t shirts yet-- 9 games is a lifetime in the NFL). I think the Eagles are improved and I believe they are a legit playoff contender. Obviously, they are off to a great start. But I do not think they are necessarily better than the Redskins, Cowboys, Falcons, Packers, etc.. I need to see more from them. Like I said, we've seen many teams in the league (some right here in Redskins land) that start hot and finish cold. I see just enough holes in what Philly has done so far to make me a tad skeptical they can sustain this pace.

22 minutes ago, kleese said:

I'm not freaking out about the Eagles yet. I do not think they are a fraud, but I also am not ready to proclaim them as a 12-4 team that will be the #1 seed in the NFC. Every year in the NFL there is at least one team that gets off to a hot start (Vikings last year anyone?) and then fades. I don't think the Eagles will TANK, but I do think a "fade" is possible for sure. Wentz worries me-- he looks a lot better this year and his playmaking ability is top notch when he faces pressure. But I don't fear their other offensive weapons and I think overall offensively they are sort of getting by right now on a mixture of guts and good fortune.

Their defense is legitimately good. If they are great, then maybe the Eagles will continue this roll-- but I think their back 7 (especially their CBs) can be exposed. I also am not real big on Pederson-- this is more of a gut feel than anything else-- he certainly hasn't done anything to really criticize yet in his tenure there. But I get a bit of Norv feel from him overall.

I'll say this, assuming we win Sunday, I don't like that spot for us on MNF, I LOVE it. I think that game will have set up perfectly for us which is why I was honestly kind of rooting for Philly against Carolina. No doubt if they beat us to go 6-1 and go 3-0 in the East, they will set themselves up as the clear favorite to win the division (although, even if they did beat us that night I wouldn't start printing the t shirts yet-- 9 games is a lifetime in the NFL). I think the Eagles are improved and I believe they are a legit playoff contender. Obviously, they are off to a great start. But I do not think they are necessarily better than the Redskins, Cowboys, Falcons, Packers, etc.. I need to see more from them. Like I said, we've seen many teams in the league (some right here in Redskins land) that start hot and finish cold. I see just enough holes in what Philly has done so far to make me a tad skeptical they can sustain this pace.

Don't disagree really. I think they are a playoff team though. Wentz gets hit a lot and he is going to throw a few back breaking picks he plays so much off schedule. They're hot right now but I don't mind going into MNF underestimated. 

8 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

If you want to crown them then crown they ass, but the eagles are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook. 

Uh, the Bears went 13-3 with a Superbowl appearance that season. Is that the comparison you meant to draw?

4 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

yea he is now 5-1.  Great.  If there was a reason to make sure we have locked down our QB and make sure we don't have journeymen at this position like we have had for soooooooooooooo long, this should be the reason.  This division has two young studs and we also have a young stud with more experience.

And listen I am not going to worry about the Eagles until we play them a week from Monday.  Lets see how good they really are.

I pretty much agree.

Still don't think Wentz is great. 

He's only great at avoiding sacks. He still misses plenty of throws. I'm not ready to crown him. However, he does look good enough to win a title behind a great o line and defense.

iggles can't be taken lightly. 

But back to the topic, I'm confident in the Skins. 

Which means they'll finish 5-11 because #dcsports

21 hours ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

Taking my Redskins hat off and calling it as I see it, Philly is the team to beat in the NFC now, can't deny it really. I think they possibly have the best D front in football, which makes up for their weaker corners. Cox made Mosses look awful week 1 and nobody can run on them. Since we played them they've also found a run game. That said we have talent to be in a close game with them. We have to beat the niners comfortably and then go into Philly all guns blazing. Their O line is overrated though. Anyway I am looking ahead too much.

From the beginning of the year, it was my belief that The NFC East would come down to us & them.  My reasoning was that Philly would take advantage of the last place schedule (AND the lack of serious expectations) and put together a good year.  I felt that (because of the bumbling rep) people were definitely sleepin' on The Skins too.  And that's been proven to be the case.

21 hours ago, CTskin said:

Eagles are 5-1 and hats off to them for that, but they are very beatable. They got the same luck vs the Panthers last night that they got against us- two turnovers inside the opponents 15 yard line. As long as they don't dominate the turnover battle, an issue we appear to have cleaned up, then I'm predicting a win for the good guys next Monday night. 

I don't like Thursday-Monday break that they have here, but I believe Norman will be back by then, and if so, game on.

I stand with @CTskin.  We can take 'em!  And I expect us to do exactly that on Monday Night.

For starters, it's very difficult to beat a good team twice.  Yes, they got us in Week 1.  And for that reason, I expect The Team to anxiously want some payback on Monday Night.  So there's that.

But also consider that they've played a weaker schedule to date than we have.  In fact, their best Win all year was beating us.  Take a look at their first five weeks:

Week 1  Us                    Won 30-17

Week 2  Kansas City      Lost 20-27

Week 3  New York          Won 27-24

Week 4 Los Angeles(A)  Won 26-24

Week 5 Arizona              Won  34-7

Week 6 Carolina              Won 28-23

How many quality opponents would you say they've beaten? 

So before we go crowning them Super Bowl Champs, let's just remember that they haven't exactly run the gauntlet here (and their schedule is back-loaded)

Wentz is the real deal. Better than Cousins now. We're gonna have to break bad on this guys ass and leave a lasting impression when we see him again. It's the only way. He's pretty brave with the ball so far. Time for someone to lay the wood to his ass. Punish him for his fancy ass ball fakes.

On 10/13/2017 at 12:17 PM, TheGreek1973 said:

Thats what happens when you depend on one super good player.  .

I'd say that just shows the importance of the middle linebacker position. If you've got a stud in the middle, it changes everything you do. Look at the difference having Brown instead of Compton has done for us. Other than a few of Londons years here, it's a position we haven't prioritized and it's been obvious. 

Last season we got clowned in the middle on 3rd downs all year long. A lot of that was our safety play as well, but mostly we had a giant hole in the middle.

As history has shown and proven, hot streaks, offenses and defenses which seem unstoppable and determined, do not last forever.

Yes, sometimes they make playoffs or even a SuperBowl, but once a team beats them, future opponents use it as a blueprint on how to stop them.

Minnesota , 1998, went 15-1 and looked unstoppable, until the NFCC game, where the dirty bird Falcons upset them to go to the SuperBowl. Point is, there will be a team, possibly the Redskins, who beat them, and whoever the team is that does beat them, others will copycat what that team did, and it will have an effect on them because they are a young team.

Now, it does suck that they get a 11 day break before they play the Redskins, being they played on a Thursday night and we don't play til sunday before meeting on Monday night. but that's the way the schedule works.

We got our guy, they can have Wentz, and the Redskins have had success in Philthadelphia, so lets just see.

6 hours ago, quicksilver said:

Totally agree. Sustained pressure is what will be required.

Yes and no.  Definitely need to pressure him, but we did that in game 1 and he still hurt us.  Of course, if Kirk was more accurate (and didn't lose the fumble for a td at the end), we likely win that game handily.  

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd say that just shows the importance of the middle linebacker position. If you've got a stud in the middle, it changes everything you do. Look at the difference having Brown instead of Compton has done for us. Other than a few of Londons years here, it's a position we haven't prioritized and it's been obvious. 

Last season we got clowned in the middle on 3rd downs all year long. A lot of that was our safety play as well, but mostly we had a giant hole in the middle.

Brown has helped immensely, can't disagree there.  The one argument I'd make against this point is that we often got killed on 3rd and long last year, and many have pointed out Brown's deficiencies in coverage.  So, I think maybe more weight for 3rd down improvement has to go to 1) better pressure from our front, better safety play (including much better communication), and improved corner play - Breeland and Fuller are performing much better this year.  

Agreed that the spine of our D has taken a major leap though. 

Archived