Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Confidence I Haven't Had in 25 Years

kleese

2 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

Gruden needs to have them ready.

Agreed. I've knocked Gruden for this in previous seasons (opening day games, primetime games and the panthers and giants games last year). But, aside from some rust in week 1, he's had this team rearing to go and clicking out of the gate. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, which I believe he's earned, so I don't view this as an issue. 

Just now, CTskin said:

Agreed. I've knocked Gruden for this in previous seasons (opening day games, primetime games and the panthers and giants games last year). But, aside from some rust in week 1, he's had this team rearing to go and clicking out of the gate. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, which I believe he's earned, so I don't view this as an issue. 

Yep I think if we get out of the traps quickly Sunday it will really take the wind out of San Fran. I've had enough about worrying about this game, we need to do what the Eagles done to the Cardinals yesterday and dominate. This shouldn't be close, hell we should have blown out the Rams on the road. Let's see what kind of good team we really are on Sunday. 

On 10/8/2017 at 9:51 AM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not trying to be the cold water, but we've had a few false starts through the years...

I don't mean to say that I think we are doomed. But I don't think a four-game stretch (two of which we found a way to lose, by the way) really proves that we know how to win. I need a lot more evidence. 

Yeah, I took that into consideration. With all the teams you mentioned I felt much differently than I do about this squad. I know it's best not to trust hunches, but as someone who played on teams that knew how to win as well as those who didn't, there is an "it" in play and this team appears to have "it."

27 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Yeah, I took that into consideration. With all the teams you mentioned I felt much differently than I do about this squad. I know it's best not to trust hunches, but as someone who played on teams that knew how to win as well as those who didn't, there is an "it" in play and this team appears to have "it."

I don't want to give away the plot, but a hint would suggest that the character of "It" is being played by DJ and Zac. Their intensity, coupled with ability, seem to have elevated the play of the supporting cast.

(Film co-directed by Manusky, Tomsula and Gray productions)

I was feeling this way until that injury bug started nibbling Monday night. It wasn't a 'BAM- ACL to top player' thing. It was one at a time top player going down with what looks to be performance altering injury.

Seriously, our 3 most talented players are nicked- Norman, Williams and Reed. Not to mention our #1 RB

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

I was feeling this way until that injury bug started nibbling Monday night. It wasn't a 'BAM- ACL to top player' thing. It was one at a time top player going down with what looks to be performance altering injury.

Seriously, our 3 most talented players are nicked- Norman, Williams and Reed. Not to mention our #1 RB

Not to mention Nsheke.  Maybe I have a bit too much faith in him, but I think he at least allows you to (mostly?) stick to the game plan if Williams misses any snaps/time.  

Really need Reed and Crowder fully healthy - they were supposed to take some pressure off our inexperienced receivers.  

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Not to mention Nsheke.  Maybe I have a bit too much faith in him, but I think he at least allows you to (mostly?) stick to the game plan if Williams misses any snaps/time.  

Really need Reed and Crowder fully healthy - they were supposed to take some pressure off our inexperienced receivers.  

When was the last time Reed was fully healthy?! I will be very interested to hear the report on Williams Wednesday. Doesn't sound like Crowder has been right all year either. 

3 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

When was the last time Reed was fully healthy?! I will be very interested to hear the report on Williams Wednesday. Doesn't sound like Crowder has been right all year either. 

Good point :)

Just want those two (Crowder/Reed) in the groove with Cousins.  Right now, they're not really 'weapons' in the arsenal and so we're leaning on other guys.  Thompson and Davis are performing admirably, but those two can really boost the receiving corps.  

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Good point :)

Just want those two (Crowder/Reed) in the groove with Cousins.  Right now, they're not really 'weapons' in the arsenal and so we're leaning on other guys.  Thompson and Davis are performing admirably, but those two can really boost the receiving corps.  

Agree, hopefully the bye has helped them. 

In years past I would long for the bye week as a reprieve for the pain of watching us lose a heartbreaker. 

I didn't feel that this year,  I was missing football because despite our 500 record we're not the same team as in years past. 

We are a better "LOOKING" team than honestly I can remember seeing since our glory years. 

We've been fighting hard and playing at least decent if not very good football in all phases of the game. 

I actually missed watching us play and I haven't felt this way in years. 

It's a very good feeling. 

I really wanna see if we can sustain the same type of effort and execution vs. the 49ers. Were we just up for a national TV game against an elite team? I hope we don't regress and sleepwalk through the 9ers. I want to show up and right away score a TD and get a 3 and out or takeaway. If we're legit good, we should smash this 9er team. I want 30 points minimum if not 40.

On 10/9/2017 at 10:22 AM, TheGreek1973 said:

Keep drinking Zoony.

they should have lost to SD, and we were one bad play away (KC INT instead of hitting Crowder for a TD) to lose to us.  yesterday they played a very faulted Arizona team, the same team that let a Boys team come back on them in Arizona.  yes they are good but for you to say they are the best without seeing the second game in two weeks and then put the boys...hahahahahaha....in the same sentence as them or even us.  

yes GB is awesome with Rodgers kicking but man they got so many injuries to that OL and backfield, our D, playing as it did against KC win this game hands down.

Anyway we will see.  That is why they play the games.  

So, an explanation as to why Im wrong followed by a statement that you dont really know either way.

Philly is now 4-1.  Wentz is going to do nothing but get better as the season goes on

33 minutes ago, zoony said:

Philly is now 4-1.  Wentz is going to do nothing but get better as the season goes on

Remember when everyone was freaking out because we sucked so bad against the 'awful' Eagles?

All I heard about in the offseason was how they had the worst secondary ever put together.  If that's the case, nobody can tell because Fletcher Cox and the gang are destroying everything in front of them.  Wentz just keeps getting better every week and really the only thing we as Skins fans can hope for is that his bravado ends up getting him injured.  I never root for injuries but if we'd like to maintain this level of confidence we have about our own team, we need some bad things to happen in Philly.

Yeah, as much as we should have beaten the Eagles and they got lucky against us, we are now seeing just what kind of competition we HONESTLY should have gone 4-0 against, if it were not for the freak play, and dropped INTs in the Eagles game, and the dropped TD and last minute loss against the chiefs.  Our opponents this year are 12-4 when not playing us.  Through the first 5 weeks there were only 3 teams with 4 or more wins.  We played 2 of the 3.

Now we get to play the 49ers, and now we see if that was all a fluke or is there something truly different.

On 10/9/2017 at 3:00 PM, CTskin said:

Yeah, this year we've come out for all four games really ready to go... but this is something I still worry about with this team and franchise. We just haven't (traditionally) shown up well in these spots. This needs to be a complete statement game and statement win, especially with the Eagles win last night. You HAVE to keep pace here, and I still worry we'll come out flat. 

Check out the Tailgates of Hell: The NFC East Podcast for the Common Man! 
Check out the Week 6 NFC East  preview here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-tail-gates-of-hell/id1153580971?mt=2

34 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Remember when everyone was freaking out because we sucked so bad against the 'awful' Eagles?

All I heard about in the offseason was how they had the worst secondary ever put together.  If that's the case, nobody can tell because Fletcher Cox and the gang are destroying everything in front of them.  Wentz just keeps getting better every week and really the only thing we as Skins fans can hope for is that his bravado ends up getting him injured.  I never root for injuries but if we'd like to maintain this level of confidence we have about our own team, we need some bad things to happen in Philly.

Taking my Redskins hat off and calling it as I see it, Philly is the team to beat in the NFC now, can't deny it really. I think they possibly have the best D front in football, which makes up for their weaker corners. Cox made Mosses look awful week 1 and nobody can run on them. Since we played them they've also found a run game. That said we have talent to be in a close game with them. We have to beat the niners comfortably and then go into Philly all guns blazing. Their O line is overrated though. Anyway I am looking ahead too much.

Eagles are 5-1 and hats off to them for that, but they are very beatable. They got the same luck vs the Panthers last night that they got against us- two turnovers inside the opponents 15 yard line. As long as they don't dominate the turnover battle, an issue we appear to have cleaned up, then I'm predicting a win for the good guys next Monday night. 

I don't like Thursday-Monday break that they have here, but I believe Norman will be back by then, and if so, game on.

52 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Eagles are 5-1 and hats off to them for that, but they are very beatable. They got the same luck vs the Panthers last night that they got against us- two turnovers inside the opponents 15 yard line. As long as they don't dominate the turnover battle, an issue we appear to have cleaned up, then I'm predicting a win for the good guys next Monday night. 

I don't like Thursday-Monday break that they have here, but I believe Norman will be back by then, and if so, game on.

I am not sure Cox Crushing a lineman into the QB is luck. They're a good team right now.

Stop bringing up luck. You guys sound like sore haters. The Eagles are legit. Best team in the NFC and easily top 2-3 team in the league at the moment.

Doesn't mean we can't beat them, but all this "they got lucky this they got lucky that" just makes you all sound like children.

3 hours ago, zoony said:

So, an explanation as to why Im wrong followed by a statement that you dont really know either way.

yea he is now 5-1.  Great.  If there was a reason to make sure we have locked down our QB and make sure we don't have journeymen at this position like we have had for soooooooooooooo long, this should be the reason.  This division has two young studs and we also have a young stud with more experience.

And listen I am not going to worry about the Eagles until we play them a week from Monday.  Lets see how good they really are.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Stop bringing up luck. You guys sound like sore haters. The Eagles are legit. Best team in the NFC and easily top 2-3 team in the league at the moment.

Doesn't mean we can't beat them, but all this "they got lucky this they got lucky that" just makes you all sound like children.

Indeed, they were the better team last night and the turnovers were forced. 

3 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

Indeed, they were the better team last night and the turnovers were forced. 

Question is how good are the Panthers without Luke K.  The entire game changed the minute he went out.  Same thing with the boys, when they loose Lee they are just about the worse D in the league.  Thats what happens when you depend on one super good player.  We may also experience this if Trend can't play, lets hope we have an answer for that.

Archived