Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Confidence I Haven't Had in 25 Years

kleese

DJ Swearinger deserves a lot of blame for the momentum shift in yesterdays game. That unsportsmanlike that extended the drive at the end of the first half gave them a golden opportunity at 4 more points and kept the ball out of our hands. We had three timeouts. If the first half ends 17-3 or even 20-3, the second half goes differently.

Garcon getting a penalty to push them out of FG range is karmic perfection.

38 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

My biggest gripe was the feeling of getting up early and just knowing, KNOWING, that we would have no urgency and fall asleep on offense until the end of the game.  Every game just seems to have that feeling of "ok we executed a scoring drive, time for phase 2 -  take this quarter off, dick around on offense, half ass a bunch of 3 and outs, and wait for the other team to score so we can keep playing"

Well, we have the fewest three and outs in the NFL thus far.... I don't think the offense really went into a shell when we were up 17-0. Gotta remember that after we got up 17-0 the next time we got the ball on offense it was 17-10. And then after one failed drive, we get the ball and have the Davis play. I actually don't think the offense went conservative at all after we took we lead.

What I do think hurt a little was when we were up 7-0 we had a couple of blah drives-- it's possible we could have jumped out bigger, faster yesterday if the offense had done a little better in the rest of the first quarter and start of the second. But overall, I didn't think we had an issue going into a shell yesterday.

So... Um... This team is weird. Confidence? No. This is a feeling I've haven't had in any years.

We're 3-2. I like that record. Appreciate the record. I feel like that record could be better. However, at the same time, I feel like we aren't playing up to that 3-2 record. So far, out of the five games we've played, the Raiders and Chief games were the games where after the game, I felt good. Those other three games, I felt less than optimistic.

Also, the injuries we've suffered on defense have clouded my judgement. The defense is looking good, but we have lost a ton of players; so I don't know what to expect from them right now.

Finally, the NFL is as wide open as it's ever been. It seems like more than half the league has a .500 record or better. So, I can't even match the Redskins up with other teams because things are so inconsistent every where right now.

Thankfully, Monday's game is coming. It will answer the questions I that I have about this team.

5 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Also, the injuries we've suffered on defense have clouded my judgement. The defense is looking good, but we have lost a ton of players; so I don't know what to expect from them right now.

Ugh. Allen out for the year hurts so bad. Going into Philly without Allen, Norman, and Breeland....here is to hoping our depth holds up. 

I don't think the Skins are going into Philthy without Breeland or Norman.  In fact I am more confident we will have Norman then Breeland given that Norman was already working up a sweat in the weight room on October 12.  

And Breeland is "gumby" according to Gruden so he will probably play .  NO Breeland?  Then I am fine with Fuller back there.  He can hold it down back there.   He proved it in the last game against  Garcon.  

And while it sucks to lose Allen up front I just think other guys will step up. They have done it all year.  May not be pretty every game but they are a gutsy bunch that never gives up.   Every team deals with injuries every year but we have depth this year.   So the big injury is really Allen but someone is going to step up and do well.

4 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

I don't think the Skins are going into Philthy without Breeland or Norman.  In fact I am more confident we will have Norman then Breeland given that Norman was already working up a sweat in the weight room on October 12.  

And Breeland is "gumby" according to Gruden so he will probably play .  NO Breeland?  Then I am fine with Fuller back there.  He can hold it down back there.   He proved it in the last game against  Garcon.  

And while it sucks to lose Allen up front I just think other guys will step up. They have done it all year.  May not be pretty every game but they are a gutsy bunch that never gives up.   Every team deals with injuries every year but we have depth this year.   So the big injury is really Allen but someone is going to step up and do well.

Damn I'm glad somebody said it!

These Redskins have that look in their eye.  Yeah, the San Fran game was ugly - but so what?  They Won it, and they're going into Philly with all of their goals intact. 

Despite the Allen setback, this is still primed to be the Breakout Year. I'm not wavering one bit. 

I believe.

7 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

These Redskins have that look in their eye. 

Despite the Allen setback, this is still primed to be the Breakout Year. I'm not wavering one bit. 

I believe.

Next man up!  That's what's I always say. 

5 minutes ago, Theis-my-man said:

Next man up!  That's what's I always say. 

And what's more, I believe The Team has internalized this mentality.

I can see The Skins are on the cusp of being scary good.  Beating the Eagles IN PHILLY could propel this Team on a rampage for the ages!

(They're right there, on the cusp)

5 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

I can see The Skins are on the cusp of being scary good.  Beating the Eagles IN PHILLY could propel this Team on a rampage for the ages!

(They're right there, on the cusp)

It's gonna be legendary!  Imma wear my lucky burgundy and gold underwear everyday until Monday. 

32 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

These Redskins have that look in their eye.  Yeah, the San Fran game was ugly - but so what?  They Won it, and they're going into Philly with all of their goals intact. 

I believe.

If you go to Josh Norman's twitter feed you can see in the background the sign saying - "by any means necessary"  - and that is the motto. Who cares if it is ugly win.  A W is a W.    I think we all saw that fire during the Raider's game going forward.

3 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

If you go to Josh Norman's twitter feed you can see in the background the sign saying - "by any means necessary"  - and that is the motto. Who cares if it is ugly win.  A W is a W.    I think we all saw that fire during the Raider's game going forward.

Agreed sir!

At full health, I'd be confident about this team's chances versus any team in the league.  This next game is coming at the worst possible time for us though given the injuries and significance.    

Hopkins and Allen out for the year (not to mention Trent Murphy, who would have been back last week), both starting corners injured, a banged up starting rb and LT, and an injured swing tackle.  I've been impressed with how the team has handled the injuries so far, but dang.  

8 hours ago, skinny21 said:

At full health, I'd be confident about this team's chances versus any team in the league.  This next game is coming at the worst possible time for us though given the injuries and significance.    

Hopkins and Allen out for the year (not to mention Trent Murphy, who would have been back last week), both starting corners injured, a banged up starting rb and LT, and an injured swing tackle.  I've been impressed with how the team has handled the injuries so far, but dang.  

+1

Even the fact that some say the Iggles could be 2-4 or something  The fact is they're not.  We won ugly last week, they've been finding ways to win all year.

I'm just not really feeling this one with the injuries and how banged up we really are.

I'm hoping for an inspired team effort.  Marching down and scoring on the opening drive would be huge again.  We can not fall behind and let the TOP leaders have their way with the clock.

3-3, on our way to another 9-7 or 8-8 finish.

This Team is playing just well enough to avoid getting any high draft picks.  Kirk Cousins will most likely be gone after this year and we'll be back to square one.

Meanwhile, Philly has established themselves as the class of the NFC East, not only for this season but the next 12 as Wentz gets even better.  This will be a Brady/Rodgers type of thing.

Really, the next 5 years are going to be a **** show while the Eagles and Cowboys dominate the division.  With some luck the Redskins might be able to field a "confidence inspiring" team by 2023 or 2024.  

I stand by my homerific drivel comment.  This thread is a joke :)

Totally agree. You have teams that randomly have amazing years. Dallas last year with only 3 loses. Giants last year as well. Rams, Jags and Eagles this year are way above 500 and yet here we are...hovering right around 500....again. Year after year. The more things change the more they stay the same. 

5 minutes ago, zoony said:

3-3, on our way to another 9-7 or 8-8 finish.

This Team is playing just well enough to avoid getting any high draft picks.  Kirk Cousins will most likely be gone after this year and we'll be back to square one.

Meanwhile, Philly has established themselves as the class of the NFC East, not only for this season but the next 12 as Wentz gets even better.  This will be a Brady/Rodgers type of thing.

Really, the next 5 years are going to be a **** show while the Eagles and Cowboys dominate the division.  With some luck the Redskins might be able to field a "confidence inspiring" team by 2023 or 2024.  

I stand by my homerific drivel comment.  This thread is a joke :)

You do realize that if we go 8-8 or 9-7 this year like you just said you think we will that it will be BY FAR our best three year stretch since 1990-1992? You understand this, correct? Thus viewing the thread premise from the context of our 25 year history. 

6 minutes ago, kleese said:

You do realize that if we go 8-8 or 9-7 this year like you just said you think we will that it will be BY FAR our best three year stretch since 1990-1992? You understand this, correct? Thus viewing the thread premise from the context of our 25 year history. 

You do realize that 8-8 or 9-7 is the absolute worst record in the NFL, don't you?  It is no mans land.  Picking in the middle of the draft, and missing the playoffs.

You understand this, correct?  

Archived