Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

And ironically violent crime in general is markedly down from the mid 1980s in the US.

That said, guns are still the problem here. Imagine where we'd be without the assault gun rollback from the paid by NRA party. 

The problem with this is it puts the problem on some organization and their money. 

The reality is support for gun control falls significantly when you start discussing actionable ideas. 70+% supports “gun control”. Last I checked maybe 2 or 3 actual ideas polled above 50%, they weren’t that much above, and everything else was below and it doesn’t take long to get into the 20-30% range. 

The problem is it requires an honest “national conversation” and we just flat out are not capable of it. 

It’s impossible to talk to a gun nut. Absolutely impossible. Whatever you see with other political footballs (Obama care, Benghazi, George Soros, etc) guns and gun control are the absolute worse. 

We can’t even agree that storming the Capitol to stop the certification because you don’t like the results, is a big deal that needs to be addressed. 

we’re a totally broken society. There’s no use in dwelling on it. Navigate it best you can 🤷‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, tshile said:

The problem with this is it puts the problem on some organization and their money. 

The reality is support for gun control falls significantly when you start discussing actionable ideas. 70+% supports “gun control”. Last I checked maybe 2 or 3 actual ideas polled above 50%, they weren’t that much above, and everything else was below and it doesn’t take long to get into the 20-30% range. 

The problem is it requires an honest “national conversation” and we just flat out are not capable of it. 

It’s impossible to talk to a gun nut. Absolutely impossible. Whatever you see with other political footballs (Obama care, Benghazi, George Soros, etc) guns and gun control are the absolute worse. 

We can’t even agree that storming the Capitol to stop the certification because you don’t like the results, is a big deal that needs to be addressed. 

we’re a totally broken society. There’s no use in dwelling on it. Navigate it best you can 🤷‍♂️ 

I agree that we are a broken society and nothing will be done, but your stats are flawed.  You say only 2 or 3 ideas polled actually above 50% and those, not much above.  One of those, universal background checks, polls at 83% in favor, including 72% of NRA members.  That's quite a bit more than just over 50%.

Also, 84% favor “preventing sales of all firearms to people who have been reported as dangerous to law enforcement by a mental health provider.” and 79 percent strongly or somewhat support “barring gun purchases by people on the federal no-fly or watch lists.”  Those are both significantly higher than 50%.

The broken political system where politicians are paid to vote or legislate against their constituents' will is the problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, China said:

I agree that we are a broken society and nothing will be done, but your stats are flawed.  You say only 2 or 3 ideas polled actually above 50% and those, not much above.  One of those, universal background checks, polls at 83% in favor, including 72% of NRA members.  That's quite a bit more than just over 50%.

Also, 84% favor “preventing sales of all firearms to people who have been reported as dangerous to law enforcement by a mental health provider.” and 79 percent strongly or somewhat support “barring gun purchases by people on the federal no-fly or watch lists.”  Those are both significantly higher than 50%.

The broken political system where politicians are paid to vote or legislate against their constituents' will is the problem.

If you look and follow the polls you’ll see support is very strong immediately following a newsworthy mass shooting, and falls as you get away with it

the opening paragraph of your article says the poll was conducted one day following a newsworthy mass shooting. 

51 minutes ago, tshile said:

If you look and follow the polls you’ll see support is very strong immediately following a newsworthy mass shooting, and falls as you get away with it

the opening paragraph of your article says the poll was conducted one day following a newsworthy mass shooting. 

So you're saying opinions sway by 30%?

I posted two links.  I notice you only mentioned one.  And BTW, mass shootings happen every day, whether you consider them newsworthy or not.

Edited by China

Thoughts and prayers not enough, Senate chaplain says after Nashville shooting

Senate Chaplain Barry C. Black has rarely espoused personal views during the nearly 20 years he has delivered the opening prayer, but on Tuesday his message was this: "When babies die at a church school, it is time for us to move beyond thoughts and prayers.”

Black told those hearing the prayer to remind lawmakers of the saying, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing," a day after a shooter armed with two assault weapons and a pistol opened fire on a Christian school in Nashville, killing three elementary schoolchildren and three school employees.

The message was one of only a handful of times that Black, 74, the first African American and first Seventh-Day Adventist to hold the post, has spoken pointedly about issues from the Senate floor.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

One person ain't a militia 

You and you're drinking buddies ain't a militia. 

Seem to recall reading that the United States Marine Corps was founded by three guys in a bar.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Meaning, it was on a day ending in a y?  

:)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, China said:

Thoughts and prayers not enough, Senate chaplain says after Nashville shooting

Senate Chaplain Barry C. Black has rarely espoused personal views during the nearly 20 years he has delivered the opening prayer, but on Tuesday his message was this: "When babies die at a church school, it is time for us to move beyond thoughts and prayers.”

Black told those hearing the prayer to remind lawmakers of the saying, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing," a day after a shooter armed with two assault weapons and a pistol opened fire on a Christian school in Nashville, killing three elementary schoolchildren and three school employees.

The message was one of only a handful of times that Black, 74, the first African American and first Seventh-Day Adventist to hold the post, has spoken pointedly about issues from the Senate floor.

Click on the link for the full article

Oh, ok. Only when it happens at a church school is it time to move past thoughts and prayers, amirite?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, abdcskins said:

At this point I've given up. Nothing will change, no gun control, no legislation, nothing. Just gotta pray you aren't at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'll take it one step further: since so many people have decided that mass shootings are just apart of life now, lets all just hope that they happen at the RIGHT place from now on. Now, I don't have children, but I do have several children in my life that I care deeply for, but I don't have any of my own. These people clearly don't care about protecting their own children...so why should I? Why should I argue with these idiots about what to do to keep their children safe. So, if the next one happens (who am i kidding? When the next one happens), I hope it happens in a red state, in a red county with GOP legislators' children inside. Maybe...MAYBE, they'll do something then, but I doubt it.

39 minutes ago, bearrock said:

If it's mental illness and not the guns, can we have universal health care and massive expansion of mental health care in this country or are we sticking with toilet paper?

It's a mental illness issue, for sure.  But a certain segment of the population thinks it's fine to allow people with mental illness to have guns.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's a mental illness issue, for sure.  But a certain segment of the population thinks it's fine to allow people with mental illness to have guns.

Been following you on Twitter for about a month now. You are always spot on with your tweets.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, purbeast said:

It's clear some of you are sheltered to the little USA bubbles you live in.  You should venture out of the country and talk to some people who live there to get some outside perspective of the USA.

And to be clear, I wasn't comparing targeted kidnappings and cartel violence to the mass shootings and gun violence we have in the USA.

I was just stating that other countries look at the USA as an unsafe country to travel to, just as the USA looks at Mexico as an unsafe country to travel to.  The USA is the brunt of jokes because of all the gun worshipping and violence that we have going on over here.

So, your point is that our country is viewed as extremely unsafe by a sampling of foreigners who get that perspective from media headlines and assumptions? OK. If Pierre prefers to eat his croissant and wear his beret before miming in the safety of Paris based perception vs. reality, that's fine. 

16 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

So, your point is that our country is viewed as extremely unsafe by a sampling of foreigners who get that perspective from media headlines and assumptions? OK. If Pierre prefers to eat his croissant and wear his beret before miming in the safety of Paris based perception vs. reality, that's fine. 

MURICA!

95a.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

MURICA!

95a.jpg

Funny. 

But, that's a pretty ridiculous thing to worry about. "Talking to Europeans" who've never been here about their perception of America really shouldn't matter to many of us. Do you think they care what we think? 

I have cousins who live in France...when they came to visit several years ago they honestly told me that they thought actual cowboys still galloped around Texas all the time on horses. I'm not overly concerned with how that group views our safety - when they are getting everything from inflammatory headlines and TV shows.  

• Haha 1