Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

The second amendment is sacred to Americans and won’t be removed.

Maybe we can just edit it a little to reflect society in 2023

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Citizen paranoia and fear of their government being widespread, the right of the mentally ill to own weapons designed for the battlefield so that they can engage in massacre of children in the age range five to nine years old, shall not be infringed.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

So, your point is that our country is viewed as extremely unsafe by a sampling of foreigners who get that perspective from media headlines and assumptions? OK. If Pierre prefers to eat his croissant and wear his beret before miming in the safety of Paris based perception vs. reality, that's fine. 

Well to be fair it's not just by a sampling of foreigners and it's not just propaganda. 

Let's take Canada's travel advisory for example. This isn't written by some maple chugging blogger, it's written by their government.

Travel advice and advisories for United States (USA)

Gun violence

The rate of firearm possession in the US is high. It’s legal in many states for US citizens to openly carry firearms in public.

Incidences of mass shootings occur, resulting most often in casualties. Although tourists are rarely involved, there is a risk of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Familiarize yourself on how to respond to an active shooter situation.

Active Shooter Event Quick Reference Guide - Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency

I'd say that's a fair assessment from our neighbors to the North. And who knows us better than America Lite? 

The good news for tourists is they aren't often in peoples homes or our nations grade schools, so they got that going for them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, China said:

So you're saying opinions sway by 30%?

I posted two links.  I notice you only mentioned one.  And BTW, mass shootings happen every day, whether you consider them newsworthy or not.

We’ve been down this road multiple times in this thread. Believe what you want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's a mental illness issue, for sure.  But a certain segment of the population thinks it's fine to allow people with mental illness to have guns.

If you follow mental health discussions on guns, you’ll find it’s similar to discussions on politicians. 

everyone thinks mental health issues should bar you from owning a gun (or that politicians are corrupt)

Just not the one mental health issue that exists in their particular household (just not the one they vote for)

For example - adhd is a mental health issue that brings impulse control and  emotional regulation issues; violent behavior is associated with it. Go tell the 85% that want universal background checks to screen for mental health issues that anyone in the household with ADHD would qualify to bar everyone in the household from owning guns , and see how many support that. 

most people are pretty basic. As such most people work with a “rules for thee not for me” mindset.  It’s funny to watch people support something like - till they find out it means they can’t have a gun either. 

I don’t think mental health is well understood by many, at even the most basic of levels. I know I barely understand what little I know. I’m willing to bet a lot of people think of mental health issues as things other people have, but not them. I which is what creates what I’m talking about 

• Like 2

I think it's pretty reasonable for someone to look at the fact that the US averages two mass shootings every day, and does literally nothing to try to prevent it, and think that's really ****ed up when they are extraordinarily rare in most other countries.  

Regardless of whether CROISSONT EATING FRENCHIES think that, I think that and I'm an American. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Well to be fair it's not just by a sampling of foreigners and it's not just propaganda. 

Let's take Canada's travel advisory for example. This isn't written by some maple chugging blogger, it's written by their government.

Travel advice and advisories for United States (USA)

Gun violence

The rate of firearm possession in the US is high. It’s legal in many states for US citizens to openly carry firearms in public.

Incidences of mass shootings occur, resulting most often in casualties. Although tourists are rarely involved, there is a risk of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Familiarize yourself on how to respond to an active shooter situation.

Active Shooter Event Quick Reference Guide - Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency

I'd say that's a fair assessment from our neighbors to the North. And who knows us better than America Lite? 

The good news for tourists is they aren't often in peoples homes or our nations grade schools, so they got that going for them. 

Travel advisories are one thing...but that wasn't the point I quoted. I quoted someone talking about chatting with people abroad and what they think of the US. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

If you follow mental health discussions on guns, you’ll find it’s similar to discussions on politicians. 

everyone thinks mental health issues should bar you from owning a gun (or that politicians are corrupt)

Just not the one mental health issue that exists in their particular household (just not the one they vote for)

For example - adhd is a mental health issue that brings impulse control and  emotional regulation issues; violent behavior is associated with it. Go tell the 85% that want universal background checks to screen for mental health issues that anyone in the household with ADHD would qualify to bar everyone in the household from owning guns , and see how many support that. 

most people are pretty basic. As such most people work with a “rules for thee not for me” mindset.  It’s funny to watch people support something like - till they find out it means they can’t have a gun either. 

I don’t think mental health is well understood by many, at even the most basic of levels. I know I barely understand what little I know. I’m willing to bet a lot of people think of mental health issues as things other people have, but not them. I which is what creates what I’m talking about 

I don't disagree with any of this.  And I wholeheartedly agree with most people work with a "rules for thee, not for me" mindset, specifically our elected officials and other rich people.  

This is the first I've heard of ADHD having emotional regulation issues and violent behavior being associated with it.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think it's pretty reasonable for someone to look at the fact that the US averages two mass shootings every day, and does literally nothing to try to prevent it, and think that's really ****ed up when they are extraordinarily rare in most other countries.  

Regardless of whether CROISSONT EATING FRENCHIES think that, I think that and I'm an American. 

I never said it was an unreasonable opinion. I have it myself. I said I don't think we should be worrying about the perceptions or opinions of random Europeans about the state of our country. It's pretty irrelevant to me what someone thinks about the state of our nation when encountered on the street of a random city abroad...

21 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This is the first I've heard of ADHD having emotional regulation issues and violent behavior being associated with it.

I think most people would be surprised. Most people tend to think it’s just about kids not concentrating or an excuse for poor behavior. 

I barely understand a tiny bit of it so I don’t want to start teaching the topic because I’ll screw it up. But emotional regulation and impulse control are huge components of it, and with young people particularly it may result in violence in the absence of more appropriate conflict resolution tools 

I promise if you google it you’ll find plenty of reputable resources on it. 

• Like 1

Watching some of the cop's body cam footage from Nashville.  I'm no expert, but it sure seems to me like they responded quickly, competently, bravely, and in a totally organized fashion.  Heroically.   In other words, exactly the opposite of Uvalde.  And still, 6 innocent lives lost.  I don't see how we police our way out of this.  We need a culture change where people stop fetishizing guns and violence and where people struggle with mental health disease get the help they need.  I wish we were a country where it was easier to find a counselor/therapist/psychiatrist than a gun.  I'm not optimistic.    

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

59 minutes ago, tshile said:

I think most people would be surprised. Most people tend to think it’s just about kids not concentrating or an excuse for poor behavior. 

I barely understand a tiny bit of it so I don’t want to start teaching the topic because I’ll screw it up. But emotional regulation and impulse control are huge components of it, and with young people particularly it may result in violence in the absence of more appropriate conflict resolution tools 

I promise if you google it you’ll find plenty of reputable resources on it. 

Kids with ADHD are more prone to defy authority and become aggressive when frustrated. That’s a huge (and very convenient for your argument of course) leap to say they’re prone to states of psychosis or severe paranoia, of which mass shootings are a manifestation of. 

10 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Watching some of the cop's body cam footage from Nashville.  I'm no expert, but it sure seems to me like they responded quickly, competently, bravely, and in a totally organized fashion.  Heroically.   In other words, exactly the opposite of Uvalde.  And still, 6 innocent lives lost.  I don't see how we police our way out of this.  We need a culture change where people stop fetishizing guns and violence and where people struggle with mental health disease get the help they need.  I wish we were a country where it was easier to find a counselor/therapist/psychiatrist than a gun.  I'm not optimistic.    

All we need now is individuals with that sort of training and capability, squeaky clean background, squeaky clean mental health (no PTSD), at every K-12 school in the country, which number around 150,000. Easy fix right 

Edited by Berggy9598

22 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Funny. 

But, that's a pretty ridiculous thing to worry about. "Talking to Europeans" who've never been here about their perception of America really shouldn't matter to many of us. Do you think they care what we think? 

I have cousins who live in France...when they came to visit several years ago they honestly told me that they thought actual cowboys still galloped around Texas all the time on horses. I'm not overly concerned with how that group views our safety - when they are getting everything from inflammatory headlines and TV shows.  

Much like the rest of your post represents an insular, ostrich with his head in the sand like worldview, actual cowboys DO gallop around Texas on horses. 

• Thumb up 1

23 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Funny. 

But, that's a pretty ridiculous thing to worry about. "Talking to Europeans" who've never been here about their perception of America really shouldn't matter to many of us. Do you think they care what we think? 

I have cousins who live in France...when they came to visit several years ago they honestly told me that they thought actual cowboys still galloped around Texas all the time on horses. I'm not overly concerned with how that group views our safety - when they are getting everything from inflammatory headlines and TV shows.  

Yeah don’t judge our country by the elementary school shootings alone  🙄 

Just got back from Switzerland. An interesting thing I learned is that every house has at least one gun in them. But, bullets are hard to come by. They will be given freely on the battlefield. 

Also, you must get a psyche evaluation every 2 years to continue to own one. I can just imagine Americans screaming about their freedoms if this was instituted here. 

this is a big thing. from about first grade on, their children are encouraged to get to school by themselves. you see them on the train with bikes or scooters

they told us, “we don’t fear for our children’s safety here.” 

wouldn’t that be nice for the parents in the states. But, we have freedoms, so kids must die. 

• Thumb up 1