Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

11 shot, 1 fatally, at concert in Dallas: Police

At least 12 people were shot, one fatally, when gunfire erupted at a concert in Dallas early Sunday, police said.

Three of the victims are juveniles, according to the Dallas Police Department.

The episode occurred several hours before another mass shooting broke out in downtown Sacramento, California, in which six people were killed and at least 10 others were injured.

Dallas police said investigators are working to identify the suspect or suspects in the concert shooting, but no one had been taken into custody as of Sunday afternoon.

Click on the link for the full article

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I remember running by my wife the idea of bringing a concealed to church and not telling anyone, she wasn't happy, but didn't say no. 

I shouldn't be asking that.

That would be illegal in Virginia btw 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

That would be illegal in Virginia btw 

I see.  Is this the law you are referencing to?

§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.
If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

Code 1950, § 18.1-241; 1960, c. 358; 1962, c. 411; 1975, cc. 14, 15.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-283/

Is "mass shooter preferring soft targets and what happened in South Carolina" not "good and sufficient reasons"?

I'm open to that risk, rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

Edited by Renegade7

I'm conflicted on potentially advocating for concealed carry in church (I can see arguments on both sides), but in the interest of full disclosure to @Renegade7, who I'm sure would think long and hard about the appropriate course of action, afaik, there has been no court case interpreting good and sufficient cause for carrying on church grounds.  Ken Cuccinelli issued a memo when he was AG that self defense constituted good and sufficient cause (shocking, I know).  Also, class 4 misdemeanor is the lowest class in VA, maximum punishment being $250 fine, no jail time is possible (gives you an idea how seriously Virginia treats this particular offense).

With that said, if your church meets at school, the prohibition on school ground overrides the right to carry.  Also, if the church has a no gun on premise policy, that controls and you could be guilty of criminal trespassing for flouting the church policy.

As for whether it's appropriate to carry in church, ugh, I hate that we now live in a world where that's even a subject for serious discussion among reasonable people.  This sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bearrock said:

With that said, if your church meets at school, the prohibition on school ground overrides the right to carry.

Which would be that the gun cannot leave the vehicle. And that if you must leave the vehicle, the gun must be secured in the trunk. 

and no you’re not allowed to get out of your vehicle, walk around to the trunk, and secure it. See: rules above. 

If you must get out and secure the weapon in the trunk you must leave school grounds to do so. You may return with it in the trunk and then exit your vehicle. 

and bus stops count as school grounds. At least during the times in which they serve the purpose of being a bus stop. (Which, if I recall correctly, is super murky because the bus does not need to be there for it to be school grounds - the area just had to be used for that purpose, e.g. kids show up 15 minutes early and are waiting for the bus -> it is now school grounds. I forget if there’s a time before/after or what…)

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 1:25 PM, Dan T. said:

Sacramento shooting: One arrest made after six shot dead

Police have arrested one suspect in connection with a shooting in the centre of Sacramento, California's capital, on Sunday, that left six dead.

Dandre Martin, 26, has been charged with assault and illegal firearm possession, police said on Monday.

Multiple people are believed to have opened fire in the busy downtown area, close to the state Capitol building.

Officials have identified the three men and three women killed in this year's worst US mass shooting so far.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2021 at 12:55 PM, China said:

Lawyer: Parkland suspect shouldn’t be called ‘the killer’

Attorneys for the former student accused of murdering 17 at a Florida high school want prosecutors and their witnesses barred at trial from referring to him as “an animal,” “a thing,” “the killer” or in any manner they believe is derogatory.

Nikolas Cruz’s lead attorney also argued Wednesday that prosecutors and their witnesses should be barred at trial from calling the Feb. 14, 2018, shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland “the massacre,” “the schoolhouse slaughter,” “an execution” or other “inflammatory” terms.

Assistant public defender Melisa McNeill told Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer that Cruz should only be referred to by his name or as “the defendant” at trial and the shooting should be called “the incident,” “the tragedy,” the “mass shooting” or other neutral terms. She said both the U.S. and Florida supreme courts have ruled that death penalty cases require stricter standards than normal trials because the verdict and sentence must be beyond reproach and based solely on the law.

“Can those terms be used outside the courtroom? Yes. Everyone has a First Amendment right to refer to Mr. Cruz in any manner they see fit,” McNeill said. “However, the rules inside a courtroom are different.”

Prosecutor Nicole Chiappone said even Cruz himself has used some of the terms his attorneys want barred. She said he refers to himself in a cellphone video as “the next school shooter” and, shortly before the killings, recorded himself saying, “this is the day of my massacre.”

Chiappone said Scherer should not make any pretrial list of barred terms. If someone at trial refers to Cruz or the shootings in a manner his attorneys believe is prejudicial, they can object then and make their argument to strike the wording, she said.

“Referring to this as ‘an incident’ or ‘a tragedy’ is insulting. This is far more,” she added.

Cruz has pleaded not guilty, but his attorneys have said he would plead guilty in exchange for a life sentence. Prosecutors have rejected that offer.

Parkland shooting: Potential Nikolas Cruz sentencing juror says she can't be on jury because of 'sugar daddy'

A prospective juror for the sentencing of Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz asked the judge to dismiss her from duty earlier this week, claiming she didn’t have enough time to fulfill her civic duty because she’s both married and has "a sugar daddy."

The selected jurors will eventually determine whether Cruz will face the death penalty or life in prison. He killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where he was once a student, on Valentine’s Day in 2018.

Jurors will have to agree to the death penalty unanimously in order for him to receive such a sentence. Otherwise, he’ll face life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Hours into the jury selection process, Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer asked if she had missed anyone with concerns or questions.

"Did you have a question?" she asks in video of the proceedings, pointing off camera toward one of the prospective jurors who she eventually identifies as "Miss Bristol."

"This is a whole entire month," the woman says. "First of all let me clarify myself, July second is my birthday, July Fourth is my son, and the 18th is my other son."

The judge asks her to speak slower.

"Don't talk too fast, we have to be able to understand...so you said that the July, there's dates in July that you're not available? What are those dates?"

"July seventh, July fourth, and July 18th....And again, I need to figure out something," Bristol replies. "I have my sugar daddy that I see every day."

"I'm sorry?" the judge asks, with an unmoved expression on her face and ****ing her head.

"My sugar daddy," Bristol repeats.

"OK, I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about but we'll--"

"I'm married, and I have my sugar daddy," she says again. "I see him every day."

"OK. All right," the judge says. "Ma'am, we'll come back to you, OK? Thank you."

Click on the link for the full story

• Haha 2

Wait the shooter on a subway in NYC just up and left afterwards?  That almost never happens.  We get rumors of a possible second shooter, but you almost never see mass shootings like this end with the shooter just leaving.  They don’t have a name or a face either from the reporting.  That’s nuts.

5 hours ago, Destino said:

Wait the shooter on a subway in NYC just up and left afterwards?  That almost never happens.  We get rumors of a possible second shooter, but you almost never see mass shootings like this end with the shooter just leaving.  They don’t have a name or a face either from the reporting.  That’s nuts.

Smoke cannister, mask, and place designed for thousands of people to move in and out quickly as possible?  Unfortunately I can see that.

Try that at Pentagon metro station, he'd be dead.  Red line UDC station or Rosslyn, possible same story where he gets away.  Hope they catch him and motive, subways are an unsurprising soft target, last thing we need are lone wolf copy cats.

Sad this is thread is on page two after only a couple of hours. We really are borderline numb and lost to all this.  May of been a dip during COVID, but it's back now.

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

They have as in custody or have as in a person they have just identified?

The NYPD identified a man named Frank James, 62, as a “person of interest” in the shooting. James is believed to be the renter of the U-Haul vehicle found in Brooklyn and has addresses in both Wisconsin and Philadelphia, NYPD Chief of Detectives James Essig said Tuesday.

“Mr. James is just a person of interest we know right now who rented that U-Haul van in Philadelphia,” Essig said. “The key to that U-Haul van was found in the subway in our shooter’s possessions. We don’t know right now if Mr. James has any connection to the subway. That’s still under investigation.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/12/us/brooklyn-subway-shooting/index.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Great, looks like us black people are finally getting in on the mass shootings. True equality in America!

Hey, that might be good news. 

Means we might decide we need to do something about it.