Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Federal Appeals Court Upholds Death Sentence for Charleston Church Shooter Dylann Roof

A federal appeals court in Virginia on Wednesday upheld the conviction and sentence of Charleston church shooter and neo-Nazi Dylann Roof. Roof was sentenced to death for the June 2015 racist mass shooting at Emanuel AME, the historic Black church where he killed nine churchgoers taking part in a Bible study.

A South Carolina jury in 2017 found Roof guilty of all 33 criminal counts including nine counts of murder and 12 federal hate crimes.

“I have the right to ask you to give me a life sentence, but I’m not sure what good it would do anyway,” Roof told jurors at the time. “I still feel like I had to do it.”

Roof later appealed that sentence, claiming that the federal district court erred in finding him competent to stand trial, that he should not have been permitted to represent himself, and that the court allowed “improper evidence and argument on the victims’ worthiness” while precluding mitigating evidence during the penalty phase of the trial. The avowed white supremacist also made a slew of obscure constitutional and procedural claims, including claiming that the federal Hate Crimes Prevention Act was an unconstitutional of Congress’s authority under the Thirteenth Amendment.

A three-judge panel on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit outright rejected all of Roof’s arguments in a 149-page per curiam ruling that did not mince words in discussing Roof’s heinously racist crimes.

Click on the link for the full article

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Maryland's highest court reviewing teen sniper's life term

Maryland’s highest court has agreed to take up the case of Lee Boyd Malvo, who is serving life in prison for his role in the 2002 sniper spree that terrorized the Washington, D.C., region.

Malvo’s lawyers argue that his punishment goes against a 2012 Supreme Court ruling barring mandatory life sentences without parole for juvenile offenders and Malvo should benefit from Maryland's new law enabling prisoners convicted as juveniles to seek release once they've served at least 20 years.

The state Court of Appeals granted a “bypass” review in Malvo’s case and that of two others serving life sentences for crimes committed as youths, news outlets report. The order issued Wednesday scheduled oral arguments to begin in January.

Malvo was 17 when he and John Allen Muhammad embarked on a killing spree that left 10 people dead and three wounded in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. Others were killed as the pair made their way to the D.C. region from Washington state. Muhammad was executed in 2009.

• Thumb down 1

3 hours ago, China said:

Maryland's highest court reviewing teen sniper's life term

Maryland’s highest court has agreed to take up the case of Lee Boyd Malvo, who is serving life in prison for his role in the 2002 sniper spree that terrorized the Washington, D.C., region.

Malvo’s lawyers argue that his punishment goes against a 2012 Supreme Court ruling barring mandatory life sentences without parole for juvenile offenders and Malvo should benefit from Maryland's new law enabling prisoners convicted as juveniles to seek release once they've served at least 20 years.

The state Court of Appeals granted a “bypass” review in Malvo’s case and that of two others serving life sentences for crimes committed as youths, news outlets report. The order issued Wednesday scheduled oral arguments to begin in January.

Malvo was 17 when he and John Allen Muhammad embarked on a killing spree that left 10 people dead and three wounded in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. Others were killed as the pair made their way to the D.C. region from Washington state. Muhammad was executed in 2009.

Yeah, he really shouldn’t get out.  Ever.

• Like 3

I was like 17 I think. I remember that. All after school activities were cancelled every day. Every white van drew eyes. Getting gas required turning into a lookout. 

that dude terrorized a large portion of the surrounding dc area for quite a while. 

• Like 3

I really don’t see a point in keeping anyone in jail for longer than ten years as long as they are repentant. Now, there are some crimes that deserve a sentence harsher than ten years. Some crimes you can’t repent for. And that’s what the death penalty is for. 

Does a person who commits arm robbery and whose friend accidentally shoots someone really need to be in prison for 30 years? Are they a threat to society?  I don’t think so. Ten years gives them a chance to change. 30 years makes them a zombie.  

I think most prison sentences need to be made much shorter and when it is clear someone will be a danger to society forever they should be executed swiftly. Of course 20 years ago the death penalty for Malvo would have felt right. Now it doesn’t.

Im not a victim of Malvos terror so I can’t feel what the people who lost someone to his careless and evil actions feel, but I would hope that after 20 years he might be a changed person. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 7:01 PM, Ball Security said:

Yeah, he really shouldn’t get out.  Ever.

22 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I really don’t see a point in keeping anyone in jail for longer than ten years as long as they are repentant. Now, there are some crimes that deserve a sentence harsher than ten years. Some crimes you can’t repent for. And that’s what the death penalty is for. 

Does a person who commits arm robbery and whose friend accidentally shoots someone really need to be in prison for 30 years? Are they a threat to society?  I don’t think so. Ten years gives them a chance to change. 30 years makes them a zombie.  

I think most prison sentences need to be made much shorter and when it is clear someone will be a danger to society forever they should be executed swiftly. Of course 20 years ago the death penalty for Malvo would have felt right. Now it doesn’t.

Im not a victim of Malvos terror so I can’t feel what the people who lost someone to his careless and evil actions feel, but I would hope that after 20 years he might be a changed person. 

Veering into territory for this thread:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ugh. Got the email today. School will do its lockdown drill tomorrow. It’ll be our sons first. 

that’s a conversation we forgot to have. Feel awful saying that but, kinda been a lot going on so… slipped through the cracks. 

so that conversation will suck. 

Edited by tshile
  • Sad 3

On Lee Malvo...

I'd strongly suggest anyone not familiar, watch "I, Sniper" on VICE.  It tells the story in Malvo's words, all pieced together via 15 minute conversations he had from jail.  Of course it's sad that a young boy could be warped into a stone cold murderer.  But at no point in watching, did it ever cross my mind that he's deserving of freedom.  I'm not sure you can 'reform' a person that committed the heinous acts Malvo committed.  I'd revisit the terror they unleashed on the entire region before making the assumption that 20 years later he's changed.  I am sure he has changed, but you can't right the wrongs that he committed - nor is 20 years enough to repay society and the families he damaged.

I worked in Silver Spring during that time period and we used to pay 4x as much to park in our building vs. the county lots a block and a half away, just to avoid walking the streets.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had just graduated college and was working at a golf course while i searched for a real job. Golf course = lots of open sightlines. Needless to say I didn’t venture out of the cart barn much. 

I will add that I am very infested in criminal justice reform and generally believe very strongly that the US overincarcerates people, especially black men. Even I think Malvo should stay in prison for a while. 

Lawyer: Parkland suspect shouldn’t be called ‘the killer’

Attorneys for the former student accused of murdering 17 at a Florida high school want prosecutors and their witnesses barred at trial from referring to him as “an animal,” “a thing,” “the killer” or in any manner they believe is derogatory.

Nikolas Cruz’s lead attorney also argued Wednesday that prosecutors and their witnesses should be barred at trial from calling the Feb. 14, 2018, shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland “the massacre,” “the schoolhouse slaughter,” “an execution” or other “inflammatory” terms.

Assistant public defender Melisa McNeill told Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer that Cruz should only be referred to by his name or as “the defendant” at trial and the shooting should be called “the incident,” “the tragedy,” the “mass shooting” or other neutral terms. She said both the U.S. and Florida supreme courts have ruled that death penalty cases require stricter standards than normal trials because the verdict and sentence must be beyond reproach and based solely on the law.

“Can those terms be used outside the courtroom? Yes. Everyone has a First Amendment right to refer to Mr. Cruz in any manner they see fit,” McNeill said. “However, the rules inside a courtroom are different.”

Prosecutor Nicole Chiappone said even Cruz himself has used some of the terms his attorneys want barred. She said he refers to himself in a cellphone video as “the next school shooter” and, shortly before the killings, recorded himself saying, “this is the day of my massacre.”

Chiappone said Scherer should not make any pretrial list of barred terms. If someone at trial refers to Cruz or the shootings in a manner his attorneys believe is prejudicial, they can object then and make their argument to strike the wording, she said.

“Referring to this as ‘an incident’ or ‘a tragedy’ is insulting. This is far more,” she added.

Cruz has pleaded not guilty, but his attorneys have said he would plead guilty in exchange for a life sentence. Prosecutors have rejected that offer.

Looks like Remington's lawyers are playing games:

Remington Subpoenas Report Cards of Five Children Killed in Sandy Hook Shooting

Gun company Remington has subpoenaed the report cards, attendance records, and disciplinary records of five kindergarten and first grade students murdered in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, according to new court filings in a civil lawsuit filed against the company. 

“In mid-July, the defense served a subpoena on the Newton Public School District seeking: ‘Any and all educational records in your possession including but not limited to, application and admission paperwork, attendance records, transcripts, report cards, disciplinary records, correspondence and any and all other educational information and records pertaining to’ each of the five first-graders whose Estates are plaintiffs in this case,” according to the motion filed today that sought to protect the victims’ families from further subpoenas. “There is no conceivable way that these [records] will assist Remington in its defense, and the plaintiffs do not understand why Remington would invade the families’ privacy with such a request. Nonetheless, this personal and private information has been produced to Remington.”

In addition, Remington subpoenaed employment records of four teachers who were killed in the shooting, in which a total of 20 children and six adults died. Some of the parents of the Sandy Hook victims have been suing the weapons manufacturer since 2014, alleging that the gun manufacturer advertised its line of semi-automatic weapons to civilians. Remington previously responded to a discovery request for its internal company communications by producing more than 18,000 unsorted files containing memes, cartoons, and ice bucket challenge videos.

• Thumb down 2

21 hours ago, China said:

Lawyer: Parkland suspect shouldn’t be called ‘the killer’

Attorneys for the former student accused of murdering 17 at a Florida high school want prosecutors and their witnesses barred at trial from referring to him as “an animal,” “a thing,” “the killer” or in any manner they believe is derogatory.

Snowflakes. 

16 hours ago, China said:

Looks like Remington's lawyers are playing games:

Remington Subpoenas Report Cards of Five Children Killed in Sandy Hook Shooting

Gun company Remington has subpoenaed the report cards, attendance records, and disciplinary records of five kindergarten and first grade students murdered in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, according to new court filings in a civil lawsuit filed against the company. 

“In mid-July, the defense served a subpoena on the Newton Public School District seeking: ‘Any and all educational records in your possession including but not limited to, application and admission paperwork, attendance records, transcripts, report cards, disciplinary records, correspondence and any and all other educational information and records pertaining to’ each of the five first-graders whose Estates are plaintiffs in this case,” according to the motion filed today that sought to protect the victims’ families from further subpoenas. “There is no conceivable way that these [records] will assist Remington in its defense, and the plaintiffs do not understand why Remington would invade the families’ privacy with such a request. Nonetheless, this personal and private information has been produced to Remington.”

In addition, Remington subpoenaed employment records of four teachers who were killed in the shooting, in which a total of 20 children and six adults died. Some of the parents of the Sandy Hook victims have been suing the weapons manufacturer since 2014, alleging that the gun manufacturer advertised its line of semi-automatic weapons to civilians. Remington previously responded to a discovery request for its internal company communications by producing more than 18,000 unsorted files containing memes, cartoons, and ice bucket challenge videos.

Working on a "blame the victims" defense. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Paging Ron DeSantis. 

The Dems need to keep a spotlight on Florida. Georgia and Texas may be corrupt and abhorrent, but Florida is just an embarrassment to the world. They need to shame Floridians to get rid of DeSantis and they need to remind the country that we don't want another Trump in the White House.

14 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Florida sheriff calls shooting suspect a 'coward,' deputies would have 'shot him up a lot'

The Florida gunman accused of killing four random people – including a mother and a 3-month-old baby – is a "coward" for surrendering to police while unarmed in order to be arrested, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said Sunday. 

"It would have been nice if he would have come out with a gun," Judd told a news conference, according to Reuters. "We would have shot him up a lot. But he didn’t because he was a coward. When someone chooses to give up, we take them into custody peacefully."

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...