Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Potential mass shooting thwarted in Hollywood; man arrested, ‘high-powered’ weapons seized

Los Angeles police officers seized several high-powered weapons from a man accused of making criminal threats Tuesday, averting what authorities believe could have been a mass shooting in the planning stages.

Police say Braxton Johnson, 24, was arrested in Hollywood after officers responded to a report of a possible man with mental illness acting erratically.

Braxton was arrested on a complaint of making criminal threats, the Los Angeles Police Department said.

A search warrant was then served at the Lumina Hollywood, 1522 Gordon St., where officers recovered several high-powered rifles, shotguns, handguns and a “large cache of various munitions.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

Police Say Gunman Is Dead After Shooting at Michigan State University

The police said the gunman died of a self-inflicted wound and was found off campus. Three people were killed and five were taken to the hospital with injuries after multiple shootings across the campus on Monday.

Three people were killed and at least five others were injured after a gunman opened fire in at least two locations on the Michigan State University campus in East Lansing, Mich., on Monday night, the university police said. The shooter remained at large.

The announcement of the three deaths came less than an hour after the campus police reported that five people had been wounded and transported to a hospital. “Some of those victims do have life-threatening injuries,” according to the university Police Department’s interim deputy police chief, Chris Rozman.

Once again, our country is a moral failure.  The fact that so many care more about their stupid guns than about stopping kids dying is disgusting.  The culture here of celebraing guns and violence, while underresourcing and demonizing supporting people in crisis is why we have thousands and thousands of people needlessly dying by gunshot. 

Nothing will change.  I am despondent about this, again.  I don't believe enough Americans care.  I would love so much to be wrong about that...  

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 years after the Parkland school massacre claimed 17 lives, here’s what has changed (and what hasn’t)

The massacre that ripped apart 17 families in Parkland, Florida, five years ago on Valentine’s Day ignited a wave of student-led protests and bipartisan legislation to combat the plague of school shootings devastating the country.

The gunman, Nikolas Cruz, has been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. A school resource officer faces charges after allegedly failing to confront the gunman at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

And a Republican governor signed legislation that raised the age to buy firearms in Florida; effectively took guns away from thousands of people deemed to be a threat; and increased mental health resources for students.

The Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act also allows some teachers to be armed – an idea that has been debated in other states after school shootings as political leaders wrestle with the politics of gun-control legislation.

But five years after the bloodbath in Parkland, the scourge of US mass shootings continues nationwide, including one Monday that again terrified an American campus, with three dead and five wounded at Michigan State University.

So far this year, the US has suffered at least 67 mass shootings – attacks in which four or more people are shot, not including the assailant, according to the Gun Violence Archive.

And this spring marks the first anniversary of the Robb Elementary School massacre in Uvalde, Texas, where 19 children and two teachers were gunned down. Just like with Parkland, the anguish in Uvalde was compounded by fury after claims officers failed to immediately stop the gunman.

Ex-Oxford student relives horror at MSU: 'Mom — get me out of here'

After more than a year of grieving the loss of her high school friends, a former Oxford High School student was retraumatized Monday evening at Michigan State University, when gun violence would once again shatter her sense of security.

The former Oxford student is now a freshman at MSU and was across the street from the Union when gunfire erupted, according to her mother. She saw people running out of the Union and called her mom.

"She said, 'Mom, I hear gunshots … What's going on?' " her mother, Jennifer Mancini, told the Free Press just after midnight Tuesday. She asked that her daughter's name not be used at this time.

It was a surreal phone call for Mancini, who had just spent the last year helping her daughter cope with the loss of two friends who were among the four students killed in the Nov. 30, 2021, mass shooting at Oxford High School. Six other students and one teacher were injured in the shooting.

--------------------------------------------------

Michigan State shooting survivor also endured 2012 Sandy Hook massacre

A college student who survived the deadly shooting that killed three students and critically wounded five others Monday night at Michigan State University was also at the horrific Sandy Hook massacre over 10 years ago.

“I am 21 years old, and this is the second mass shooting that I have now lived through,” Jackie Matthews said in an emotional TikTok video shared early Tuesday.

Now a senior at MSU, Matthews was a student at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., on Dec. 14, 2012, when gunman Adam Lanza killed 20 students and six teachers and staff. 

Speaking from a room across the road from where Anthony Dwayne McRae gunned down several MSU students just hours before, Matthews said she still suffers from a “full-blown PTSD fracture” in her lower back from the hours spent crouching in her Sandy Hook classroom.

“The fact that this is the second mass shooting that I have now lived through is incomprehensible,” Matthews said.

• Sad 1

We have now reached the phase where, every week, there is at least one "newsworthy"* (1) mass shooting, (2) conviction of a mass shooter, and (3) sentencing of a mass shooter. 

*By newsworthy, I note that there is a mass shooting (or 2) almost every day in America, but the only ones that are "newsworthy" are the ones with particularly high body counts, ones that are at schools or places of worship, are caught on film, and/or are racial or otherwise motivated by hatred of a particular group. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

We have now reached the phase where, every week, there is at least one "newsworthy"* (1) mass shooting, (2) conviction of a mass shooter, and (3) sentencing of a mass shooter. 

*By newsworthy, I note that there is a mass shooting (or 2) almost every day in America, but the only ones that are "newsworthy" are the ones with particularly high body counts, ones that are at schools or places of worship, are caught on film, and/or are racial or otherwise motivated by hatred of a particular group. 

And the more often we have "newsworthy" mass shootings, the more we become desensitized to it, and the worse a mass shooting then has to be to become "newsworthy."

13 minutes ago, China said:

And the more often we have "newsworthy" mass shootings, the more we become desensitized to it, and the worse a mass shooting then has to be to become "newsworthy."

Not sure I can get much more desensitized to it than I already am. When nothing happened after Sandy Hook, that was pretty much the bottom. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not sure I can get much more desensitized to it than I already am. When nothing happened after Sandy Hook, that was pretty much the bottom. 

Yup. I am as desensitized as you can be, without having someone I actually know involved or being involved in one myself. 

I don’t bother to keep track or who is who, or which one occurred where and when, or the details. I don’t even click the links anymore. 

None of it matters until we have a government in place that is capable of making changes, and we can see what the results are. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

None of it matters until we have a government in place that is capable of making changes, and we can see what the results are. 

That will never happen as long as the lobbyists can buy the politicians the way our system is currently set up.  Despite public support for gun control measures (including with the gun crowd) of as much as 70%, politicians won't support it because they've been bought off.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1