Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 Eclipse Thread

Sticksboi05

Just now, justice98 said:

There must be something about seeing it in person.  I watched the live stream of it in Idaho for 10 seconds and got bored.  I couldnt imagine investing money in glasses and just standing there staring at it.

I wouldn't call it much of an investment, glasses only cost $3-5 each.  But I get standing there for two hours doing nothing but watching it.  I just went out and took a quick look of it starting.  Probably go out every 20-30 mins and at the peak time of 2:41pm here in CLT to see the near 98% totality.  

The moon is just starting to take a bite out of the sun here in the DC area.  I plan to pop outside periodically to check the progress.  Got a pair of approved glasses from a neighbor.

We ordered glasses online last week Thursday.  Checked the shipping status yesterday and they were scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  Thanks Amazon. Cancelled the order.

I don't get it.  

I walked outside and asked someone if I could borrow their glasses.  I saw a gold dot slowly being overtaken by a black dot.  

There's a guy here in my office who didn't get glasses but asked me if I could bring in B/W film negatives because apparently that works, too.  Stack 5 or 6 together and hold em across your eyes and it's supposed to work.  Apparently a film like Kodak Tri-X 400 has silver in it that protects your eyes.

So I looked out our window here at the office and saw a white dot being overtaken by another black dot.  But not nearly as well as the glasses.  My eyes feel funny, I only looked for a second.

I suppose it's cool to be reminded just how big the universe is and how much **** is out there.  But as far as the actual event itself.....meh.  

Just now, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

I got up early this morning to go pick up some special glasses. I'm thus tired and have a headache. Now that I see it though....whoa it's a circle inside another circle. So worth it. 

Yep.  

The photos that people take with professional lenses will be awesome.  Anything National Geographic will have should be outstanding.  But with glasses...? Whatever.

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ok, so I went outside just now (in McLean) and put on the eclipse glasses and looked up at the sun. Didn't see anything that interesting at all....what's the big deal? 

I don't think its actually happened yet in the NOVA area.

Our work paid for us to go to a minor league baseball game that changed game time to coincide with the eclipse. They gave out glasses and everything.  Around 1, the clouds rolled in. It's been overcast the entire time, so we see nothing. At least we got a free baseball game and a few hours outside of work. I'll have to catch the pictures on the internet.

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ok, so I went outside just now (in McLean) and put on the eclipse glasses and looked up at the sun. Didn't see anything that interesting at all....what's the big deal? 

Look up now, this is when it's supposed to happen.

Archived