Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

16 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I do think it's possible that we will over-correct. I think removing any trace of the Confederacy would be bizarre.

I agree and I think you have a point. 

But I also think that the way things have gone since they started erecting more statues around the civil rights eras (people have posted articles outlining how many things showed up when and how some/many of them were clearly about sending a message during civil rights not about honoring history) it makes it really hard to define the line between the two sets. 

like it’s easy for me to say this one statue that’s over a major intersection in Richmond needs to go because of where, when and why it was put there (the history of it makes it impossible to ignore), but that things in the Manassas battlefields should stay. 

but I understand why for some people that line might be easy to understand but impossible to respect. 

and given where we (or maybe more specifically, I) am with things I’m gonna choose to err on the side of the people for whom these statues cause pain and poke at deep scars, over respecting history. I’m not thrilled about it, especially since I grew up in Virginia and the civil war is a huge thing around here even in the school system, but... it’s where we are right now. 

(not saying anyone’s suggested we remove things from the battlefields, just using extreme examples for the point I’m trying to make)

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Let's find a middle ground.  Just add "Loser" or "Lost" to the name.  Loser Jefferson Davis Hwy.  Stonewall Jackson Lost High School.  Has a nice ring to it.

"Stonewall Jackson Lost High School" actually made me snort/laugh a little. 

I can see the sports teams now. "The Stonewall Jackson Surrenders take the field..."

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Just checking in to let everyone know that Richmond is still standing this morning.

You sure???  I saw this on the news this morning but I missed the context. I'm going to need to drive downtown to verify.

image.png.566d6ee068c837f8c0fc570d13bb1eca.png

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Just checking in to let everyone know that Richmond is still standing this morning.

Imagine my surprise when it turned out that Antifa supersoldiers did not in fact rape and plunder white neighborhoods. 

Anyone got the beat from Richmond boards on which fictional threat we should be freaking out about? Are the bicycle riding hipsters planning on looting and plundering Cary Street businesses? 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Well, which half of town are you on?  The one not fallen into crime?

Open your eyes, Beal!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/richmond/3163598-disgraceful-statues-coming-down-richmond.html

(Yes, I went looking to help keep conversation honest, I'm still waiting for the link, too, and this certainly ain't it)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

He seems to have deleted his account in response unless I'm missing something.

The instagram post is a joke/fake.  I know he never said the "special flag" part and NASCAR wouldn't respond in that manor.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I was relieved to read this, but then I happened to be browsing Richmond traffic cams and I found this footage of you getting in a little guitar practice on your morning commute:

Explain yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Imagine my surprise when it turned out that Antifa supersoldiers did not in fact rape and plunder white neighborhoods. 

Anyone got the beat from Richmond boards on which fictional threat we should be freaking out about? Are the bicycle riding hipsters planning on looting and plundering Cary Street businesses? 

Ms13, duh.

Always the GOP boogeyman to scare east coast old people to vote red.

20 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I hesitate to even share this, but here goes...

I do think it's possible that we will over-correct. I think removing any trace of the Confederacy would be bizarre. We have some major cities and regions that still carry names from the British empire...the same empire we rebelled against and overthrew on the grounds of tyranny. So, I am fine with the movement to remove the flag and other things like that...but I really hope this doesn't turn into every street or town that can be traced back to anything Old South being named "Independence" or something. 

It’s possible. However, understand that ever since the abolition of slavery, this country has repeatedly under-corrected for its original sin. A little over-correction at this point wouldn’t be the worst thing that ever happened. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Damn, NASCAR went hard with that tweet

R6Fyx9D.gif

• Like 6

You know, it occurred to me last night right before I dropped off to sleep that the evangelicals may have been right about Tя☭mp. Their rationale for supporting someone who’s so clearly a bogus Xtian was that it’s a divine intervention for a sinful, misdirected country and that he would be advancing God’s agenda. I don’t believe in a god anymore, but it seems they were sort of right, just not in the way they’d have ever imagined. Call it God, karma, backlash, whatever, but you have to give it to Tя☭mp. He’s done more for black folks than any POTUS in recent memory...just not the way he or his supporters claim, or wanted. Thanks dude!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's very well-said. 

and sisko, often cast as the on-fire "extreme' hardass re: his general take on these matters, said it more softly and diplomatically, and in important ways,  smarter and more productively, than i sometimes do :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

and sisko, often cast as the on-fire "extreme' hardass re: his general take on these matters, said it more softly and diplomatically, and in important ways,  smarter and more productively, than i sometimes do :) 

But sometimes people really do need a good clubbing. 

• Haha 1