Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

A problem with a mob taking action is a lack of thought in what they are targeting (of course lack of thought is a hallmark of a mob).

https://www.myneworleans.com/monuments-to-mcdonogh/

"....

He did own slaves – 96 at the time of his death – but the movement to discredit McDonough didn’t acknowledge that he educated them and eventually freed them, Ciravolo writes. This generous benefactor of public education who fought in the Battle of New Orleans and never married was shunned by New Orleans society for his anti-slavery views and other eccentricities.

In his book, Ciravolo calls McDonogh a man who “lived to die.” Once he developed the “Plan,” his intended gift to the poor, his primary companions were his enslaved workers. In actuality, they were a hybrid of indentured servants and slaves; even though he purchased them, he developed an elaborate contract that allowed them to earn their freedom.

Even though they were mostly construction workers and brick makers, not field hands, Ciravolo admits that McDonogh overworked them, even by contemporary standards. Yet they worked no harder at building his fortune than he did himself, as many as 18-hours a day. His only personal goal was to amass as much wealth as possible so that at his death the proceeds of his toil would build public schools “wherein the poor of both sexes of all Classes and Castes of Color” could attend for free. After his death in 1850, Ciravolo says an estate of about $1.5 million was divided for school use in New Orleans and Baltimore, his birthplace.

To save money, he walked instead of taking public transportation. Ciravolo also says that his clothes were “threadbare,” yet he provided for his slaves well. Though his intent was to educate children – black and white – to save them from lives of poverty, he made the mistake of allowing local governments to manage his will, so his legacy didn’t turn out quite as he planned. Ciravolo points out that if McDonogh had created a private foundation instead, his dictates may have been followed, especially the one about educating all children, regardless of race...."

Edited by nonniey
  • Thanks 2

I posted this in the other thread, but it belongs here as well. 

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a32870657/remove-statue-science/

How to Topple a Statue Using Science

Bring that sucker down without anyone getting hurt.

It hasn’t been a great past few weeks for statues.

From Bristol, England to Birmingham, Alabama, people all over the world have been grappling with the legacy of racism by tossing their grappling hooks around the heads of problematic monuments.

Should you happen to find yourself near a statue that you decide you no longer like, we asked scientists for the best, safest ways to bring it to the ground without anyone getting hurt—except, of course, for the inanimate racist who’s been dead for a century anyway.

Interesting article, though I doubt authorities would look kindly on homemade thermite being used to melt the confederates away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Destino said:

Interesting article, though I doubt authorities would look kindly on homemade thermite being used to melt the confederates away.

Thermite is easy to get and legal.  We shoot big jars of it at the range and gleefully watch the resulting reaction.  It goes up quick and hot in a big puff of smoke.  It must be sublethal or something, at least in the form you can buy it or the mixture they're recommending.  It does get hotter than Hades when it goes off, melts rocks under it.

57 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

Thermite is easy to get and legal.  We shoot big jars of it at the range and gleefully watch the resulting reaction.  It goes up quick and hot in a big puff of smoke.  It must be sublethal or something, at least in the form you can buy it or the mixture they're recommending.  It does get hotter than Hades when it goes off, melts rocks under it.

You’re thinking of tannerite. Thermite is a substance that burns at such a high temperature it can melt through a car’s engine block. 

15 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

You’re thinking of tannerite. Thermite is a substance that burns at such a high temperature it can melt through a car’s engine block. 

Incorrect.  

Thermite is legal.  Burns hotter than sun. Why I mentioned it melted rocks. 

https://www.skylighter.com/products/thermite-kit-makes-4-lbs

A 0.223 round is hot enough to ignite it. 

Edited by KAOSkins

12 hours ago, Destino said:

From the above article:

Or you could combine the two, says Harrison. “If the liquid nitrogen is above the height of the thermite, you’ll have some very cold metal, right next to some metal getting very hot,” he says. “This should induce a lot of thermal strain, likely causing the metal to crack in that region.”

Just keep that hole way above your thermite, or you’ll be spraying incredibly hot molten metal into the air.

And here’s a fun bonus: The liquid nitrogen will quickly turn to a gas and come shooting out of that hole you drilled, says Harrison, which will almost certainly cause a high-pitched squeal. “One could imagine it sounding something like the sound a confederate general would make if their feet were on fire.”

🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Are the paintings celebrating these guys as Speakers, or Rebs?  That makes a difference, doesn't it?  The monuments are pretty straight forward celebrations of military men who were traitors wearing their traitorous garb, but this doesn't seem the same.

Edited by KAOSkins

1 minute ago, KAOSkins said:

Are the paintings celebrating these guys as Speakers, or Rebs?  That makes a difference, doesn't it?  The monuments are pretty straight forward celebrations of military men who were traitors wearing their traitorous garb, but this doesn't seem the same.

personally, i think a complete 100% purge of any positive recognition in any form would be just fine even if it goes overboard

the real horrors are what this society has allowed to go overboard for so long that were and are far far worse

attitude wise, i think the "compensating" things would have to get to within at least a few light-years of that level before i'd sweat the over-reach much

i endorse thoughtfulness on most everything, but in these matters i'm also big on immediacy and making moves of sweeping nature, to put it mildly 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

personally, i think a complete 100% purge of any positive recognition in any form would be just fine even if it goes overboard

the real horrors are what this society has allowed to go overboard for so long that were and are far far worse

attitude wise, i think the "compensating" things would have to get to within at least a few light-years of that level before i'd sweat the over-reach much

i endorse thoughtfulness on most everything, but in these matters i'm also big on immediacy and making moves of sweeping nature, to put it mildly 

Just as an aside, Samuel Clemons was a reb and I'm pretty sure we share a great appreciation of that guy.  Course he did go awol during his first campaign and hightailed it to Nevada to mine for silver, so I'm more than happy to give him a pass.  I briefly looked at who was famous (and might have gone one to do some real good to where they deserved a monument) after the war and after having served in the confederacy, couldn't find a whole lot. 

50 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

......  I briefly looked at who was famous (and might have gone one to do some real good to where they deserved a monument) after the war and after having served in the confederacy, couldn't find a whole lot. 

I don't think you'd find monuments to those that did as they generally weren't supporters of the postwar "Lost Cause" efforts. (Outside of Gettysburg is there a monument of Longstreet - and I think even that one didn't get put up until the 1980s)?

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

That is red guard thinking. Posted an example above of a statue that shouldn't have been touched, but the thinking (or really lack of)  you are espousing here caused it to be torn down and dumped in the river.  

Edited by nonniey

33 minutes ago, nonniey said:

I don't think you'd find monuments to those that did as they generally weren't supporters of the postwar "Lost Cause" efforts. (Outside of Gettysburg is there a monument of Longstreet)?

That is red guard thinking. Posted an example above of a statue that shouldn't have been touched, but the thinking (or really lack of)  you espouse caused it to be torn down and dumped in the river.  

yeah, while i saw the basic point, i thought that post of yours was an example of misplaced prioritization (being kind) and almost replied with a negative overview of a number of your takes in general and considered going further on how even "the good republicans" who of course do play important and valuable roles in society really have been a big part of our current blow-ups and very much of what made trump world all it is today, but it wasn't worth it to me (yes yes yes, the left has a sizable hand in all that's effed up too)

this response from you seems silly, over-the-top, emo-headed, and even personal, but no big.....among other weaknesses, your priorities of concern as expressed in this forum reflect unfortunate thinking imo

you sort of illustrate the point i was making

although you remind me i should brush up on my red guard manual to stay on point moving forward

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Different subject but in the same general theme here is another memorial some in this threads reasoning 

would justify tearing down.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/schindlers-factory-holocaust-memorial-180961059/

you're posting pretentious foolishness...you're not 'teaching" anyone anything or "enlightening" anyone...such stuff/thinking is going to be already known to the majority of regular participants, if not all, here

what you're prattling on about (and that's what you're doing) is your own head noise and repeating the pattern of where you place your concerns

if people in the thread are actually advocating wild abandonment in over-reach, or some such, like you keep alluding too/implying, i haven seen it and don't think you have either, maybe one or two here, somewhere, possibly....

i do know you don't read carefully enough in at least a couple cases