Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

Our new ad cuts to the chase, and pulls no punches:  We’d never name bases after America’s enemies, like Osama bin Laden. Why does Donald Trump so desperately want to keep the names of other racist enemies on our Army bases?

Just pointing out, the word "keep" in there is a point.  Leaving things alone, as a default condition, isn't necessarily bad.  

No, I don't think that tradition overrides the reasons for changing them.  Just pointing out that the other side of the scale isn't completely empty, in this case.  

Sisko, man, I hear that fully. I remember talking to some buddies about that in 2016. One friend, who is black and Muslim, was like "this could shake things out in a useful way." At the time I was like hmmmm, but I see your perspective.

Oh, and growing up in D.C. in the 70s and 80s, with half my fam originally from RVA, my young ass would always just tee up "the heritage IS hate" anytime anyone came at me with that foolish slogan.

• Like 1

Suspect it's smart politics for Biden to come out against the "confederate flag" and such.  Forces Trump to make a big deal about flamboyantly taking the opposite side.  

Although I could see that matter inspiring his rabid racist base.  (Of which, we've learned the hard way, there's a large number.)  Might inspire some who would have sat out.  

Think if I'm Joe, maybe I make a decision to always lump the "confederate" flag and the Nazi one together.  They both like Trump.  Let him defend both of them.  

• Like 1

Belgium doing something similar:

King Leopold II statues are being removed in Belgium. Who was he?

While statues of slave traders, imperialists and US Confederate leaders are being torn down, removed or protested against in the English-speaking world, Belgium has begun removing statues of its one-time King Leopold II.

Never heard of him. Who was King Leopold II?
One of the most brutal and ambitious of the 19th century European exploiters of Africa, Leopold II was king of Belgium for more than 40 years, from 1865 to 1909. A first cousin of Queen Victoria, he ruled at a time when Europeans were colonizing -- that is, conquering -- other parts of the world. Leopold was responsible for a particularly cruel part of that conquest, during the so-called "Scramble for Africa."

What did he get out of that?
A huge fortune, for starters, based first on ivory and then on rubber when the automobile and bicycle industries took off. Leopold used a private army to coerce Africans to gather wild rubber from the vines of the rainforests. His army would seize the women and children of villages to force men to collect rubber in ever-increasing quotas.

That sounds brutal.

It was worse than it sounds. Men were regularly worked to death, while hostages sometimes starved. Naturally, there were rebellions against the "proprietor," who suppressed them with particular cruelty: His troops were ordered to produce the severed hand of a rebel for each bullet they expended. That meant if the troops shot and missed, they would sometimes cut the hand off a living person. Led by white officers, the troops themselves were often Africans, making them complicit in the trauma the colony suffered. Historians estimate that under Leopold's misrule, 10 million people died.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This group of protesters, from Corbin, came to oppose the removal of the Jefferson Davis statue from the Capitol rotunda.

Hey, at least one of them knows what a Confederate flag is.  Points for being more informed than the other one.  

• Like 2

As someone else pointed out to me just recently, where does this heritage come from? The confederacy only last for five years before for it rolled over and died. What kind of heritage and tradition was built in this short, five years? A tradition of treason? A heritage of losing? Maybe someone else can explain that to me?

• Like 1

Good for these kids. #HornsDown

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2020/6/12/21289565/texas-longhorns-players-requests-confederate-buildings-eyes-of-texas

On Friday, in a show of coordinated solidarity, black Texas football student-athletes, along with some basketball student-athletes and volleyball student-athletes, released a statement that featured a list of reasonable requests in lieu of skipping workouts, practices, or games.

“On behalf of the UT student athletes, we ask to have the following issues addressed through implementation or a plan for implementation at the start of the fall semester. We will continue to practice, workout, and participate in all required team activities in preparation for the upcoming season, but without an official commitment from the university we will not be participating in the recruiting of incoming players or donor-related events. We are asking our fellow student athletes to stand with us.”

The statement also included the requests made of the administration.

Campus actions include renaming buildings named after Confederate officers, the replacement of Confederate statues with more diverse statues designed/sculpted by people of color, inclusion of freshman modules discussing the history of racism on campus, and an inner-city outreach program.

Athletics actions include more diversity in the Athletics Hall of Fame, including a permanent black athletic history exhibit, the donation of .5 percent of annual athletic department earnings to black organizations and the Black Live Matter movement, and the renaming of an area of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium to honor the late Julius Whittier, the first black football player at Texas.

And, finally, replacing “The Eyes of Texas” with a new alma mater and lifting the requirement for athletes to sing the song.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Whether we should glorify Sherman is a conversation worth having someday 

then start a thread for it rather that raising it in here :) 

this is off-topic, so let's not have others jump on

i'm likely to just delete posts like this more often when i read them (if they seem perfect for creating a chain of off-topic responses)

for now i'm letting it be there to see how well catching this one this soon works 

btw hersh, it's an  understandable, normal thought to have in such a discussion, it's just not staying on the topic of removing confederate statuary and the blowback in current times and thge one-line comment is of a nature that begs more off-topic replies that go into more diverse "civil war" debates from the horde of civil war aficionados we have here, it's not that it was dumb or wrong or anything or even that far off-topic :) 

• Like 1