Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'll let someone else figure out any of your usual usual has to do with american statues of traitorous kidnappers and/or slave owners solely erected to thumb our lily white noses at African Americans. 

You don't see an echo of Schindler in a slave owner that bought slaves to make money, not for his own benefit, but in order to free them and educate them (the latter breaking the law) ? 

Edited by nonniey

i just hope they go overboard :D, just to **** with noinney if nothing else :)

of course by using that colloquialism i obviously mean something akin to a violent and destructive rampage in cities across the nation, whatever property and lives lost be damned!1!1!

or maybe more like this

go overboard

phrase of go overboard

1. 1.
    be very enthusiastic.
    "Gary went overboard for you"

2. 2.
    react in an immoderate way.
    "Chris has a bit of a temper and can sometimes go overboard"

i wonder what going overboard might mean to the ravaging hordes setting ablaze the streets of richmond 

8 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

I briefly looked at who was famous (and might have gone one to do some real good to where they deserved a monument) after the war and after having served in the confederacy, couldn't find a whole lot. 

Wouldn't be surprised if, after the war, "served in the Confederacy" wasn't a real resume enhancement, and those folks didn't get a lot of prime positions of authority.  

Until later, when we successfully changed that.  

12 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Removal of Confederate statues, symbols, naming things after Confederate generals, politicians etc is a long long time coming. Should have happened a century ago. These things venerate slavery and white supremacy.

a lot were put up only a century ago, well after these people were gone for 50+ years as a **** you to African-Americans and an attempt to pretend they didn't lose.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

a lot were put up only a century ago, well after these people were gone for 50+ years as a **** you to African-Americans and an attempt to pretend they didn't lose.

This is right.  A huge number of them were erected in the 1960s as a counterpoint to the civil rights movement.  By "counterpoint" i mean as a reminder to black people that, even if they gain the right to vote, they'll still be second-class citizens.

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/544266880/confederate-statues-were-built-to-further-a-white-supremacist-future

• Like 4

18 hours ago, nonniey said:

Since I can’t read it, I’ll just assume that as with almost anything people write, there’s probably some truth to the opinions expressed in this article. However, when one thinks about overreach in cases like this, it may also be helpful to examine the causes. If I remember my world history correctly, China’s revolution was caused by inequality and nationalism. Good thing we don’t have to worry about those kinds of issues here because Tя☭mp has made ‘Muricuh great again.

18 hours ago, JSSkinz said:
[Tweet re: banning of Gatorbait chant in spite of U of F president denying knowledge of racist links]

I think the vast majority of the students and fans had no idea about the origins of the term due to ignorance and well, learning about history inevitably makes some people uncomfortable so let’s not bother with it.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

I think the vast majority of the students and fans had no idea about the origins of the term due to ignorance and well, learning about history inevitably makes some people uncomfortable so let’s not bother with it.

Agreed but furthermore my point was concerning the name of the city, its named after a General Edmund P. Gaines, look him up, not a nice guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Agreed but furthermore my point was concerning the name of the city, its named after a General Edmund P. Gaines, look him up, not a nice guy.

As we Skins fans likely know..there is an entire state named "red people" from two words of the Choctaw language. 

I do wonder if poorly chosen city names will be next to get the 👀

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I say to send those statues to museums around the Civil War in a new section about how in the decades and century after, there was an attempt to rewrite history to glorify the losers. 

that sounds reasonable, and i'd like far more social-wide highlighting and education of what the south was doing back then, especially in schools everywhere

but i still think i'd prefer the statuary be demolished and replaced with carnival-artist caricatures for the museum exhibits :D

There was a long period of my life where I clung to the “don’t tear down history” argument (you can add “the civil war wasn’t mainly about slavery” to the list of dumb **** I used to believe and peddle)

then I finally accepted what those statues and paintings and names mean to my fellow Americans who are black. I realize it seems silly to have to be taught that, but I’m a white guy surrounded by mostly white people most of my life, growing up in Virginia which is a civil-war heavy state. I’ve yet to have a discussion with someone from another state where civil war, and confederacy in general, were such a huge part of their upbringings (from what’s around them to what grade school teaches to field trips etc) not saying it doesn’t exist just haven’t found where it exists more than here. 

and then I learned when these statues were erected. And boy is that whole part of the issue hard to ignore or gloss over. 

So I decided that how my current fellow Americans feel about it all was more important than some need to keep history around. 

even if it means a statue of someone who did something good, like educate his slaves and free them at some point, gets caught in the wash. 

it’s sad more of my fellow Americans can’t make that change. History exists beyond statues. And at the end of the day these were traitors at best.

and when you listen to a black man tell you what they think when they see those things, and that they’re mostly displayed in a way to force those thoughts on as many people as possible, it’s hard to be ok with that. why should anyone be made to feel that way? Walking around their town or state? That’s absurd. 

same with the confederate flag. Go eat **** if that’s your heritage. What an awful heritage to cling to. Slavery, traitors, and ultimately losers of their most important effort. That’s what you want to be your heritage? Way to set the bar high. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Even if it means a statue of someone who did something good, like educate his slaves and free them at some point, gets caught in the wash. 

Gonna stop here. Let's get one thing straight. There were no "Good" slave owners. People were kidnapped, stored like cattle, ripped away from their families, and "purchased," and made to work themselves to death in the best of conditions

"Good" people would have  helped them escape (and good people did exactly that). "Educating" them and freeing them later is not a good thing. Convenient thing, perhaps. Owning another human is not a good thing. Not now. Not ever.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2