Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

i check several major boxes in the high-risk list and if i get this thing and it's as bad as it appears for most 65-plus with preexisting conditions who do get ill, the priority on my bucket-list will be an even more active role in the removal of confederates

• Like 5

The Myth of the Kindly General Lee

The legend of the Confederate leader’s heroism and decency is based in the fiction of a person who never existed.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-myth-of-the-kindly-general-lee?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The strangest part about the continued personality cult of Robert E. Lee is how few of the qualities his admirers profess to see in him he actually possessed.

Memorial Day has the tendency to conjure up old arguments about the Civil War. That’s understandable; it was created to mourn the dead of a war in which the Union was nearly destroyed, when half the country rose up in rebellion in defense of slavery. In 2017, the removal of Lee’s statue in New Orleans has inspired a new round of commentary about Lee, not to mention protests on his behalf by white supremacists.

The myth of Lee goes something like this: He was a brilliant strategist and devoted Christian man who abhorred slavery and labored tirelessly after the war to bring the country back together.

There is little truth in this.

... even if one conceded Lee’s military prowess, he would still be responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans in defense of the South’s authority to own millions of human beings as property because they are black. Lee’s elevation is a key part of a 150-year-old propaganda campaign designed to erase slavery as the cause of the war and whitewash the Confederate cause as a noble one. That ideology is known as the Lost Cause, and as historian David Blight writes, it provided a “foundation on which Southerners built the Jim Crow system.”

More at link below:  (Beat his slaves then rubbed the wounds with salt water, broke up families of slaves he owned - a particularly cruel thing to do. During the war, in Pennsylvania he kidnapped freedman and sent them south to slavery, massacred black Union soldiers trying to surrender. Post-war, clear writings of white supremacy, "blacks lacked the intelligence  to vote",  as President of Washington University, looked the other way as students formed a KKK chapter and kidnapped and raped black schoolgirls and turned a blind eye to other crimes against blacks, including two attempted lynchings, 

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-myth-of-the-kindly-general-lee?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Time to pull the statues down. . .

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

it's absurd and disgusting that we even still have  a conversation about why any statue/whatever intended to reflect any kind of positive notion related to the confederacy is allowed anywhere---i've seen all the arguments in support of maintain them all, and those trying to argue for a percentage that have "solid valid reasons",  and they are pathetic and always have been

the neanderthals who still have such thoughts need to be intensely subjected to 100% negative feedback 

that deadbrain vile version of familiar "dixie" crap needs to be done, like all white supremacy in this country...smash it, kill it, put it in isolation like the deadly virus it is and long has been

people who display that flag should be responded to the same as if they were flying nazi-land swastikas (i put the nazi in there to distinguish the use of swastika-like symbol to mean other benign things prior to the nazi's appropriation)

no more "debate' or "explanations" or "states rights" (a real topic of course) dodges--those who still feel warmth for anything confederacy should know that their time is up

if they can't/won't change their thinking, they can shut up about it and stop trying to promote it---yes, in free speech 1st amendment america you also may need/have to just shut the **** up if what you think is off enough---like child molestation....some like it, but when they do it or advocate it, there's a potent negative societal response to that minority view....there are reasons why nambla didn't catch  on more broadly :)

in terms of harm done to fellow humans, being a fan of anything confederate (or maybe even "gop" now) is racist (and still stupid) or at minimum advances and advocates racist views and culture, period....and i rank that stuff on a par with other significantly destructive awfulness, desirability-wise, to a decent culture :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Next up should be the banning of the confederate flag. Making it should be illegal, displaying it should be illegal. Put it on par with the swastika.

Swastika is not illegal in the US.   Also it predated Nazis and is still used in certain South Asian Religions

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29644591

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Swastika is not illegal in the US.   Also it predated Nazis and is still used in certain South Asian Religions

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29644591

he meant in terms of widespread negative social regard, obviously...he knows it's not illegal..."everyone" here does, and that you think they'd need to be so informed also speaks to you, not them

moreover, you should have bothered to read the post right above to the one you're commenting on, then you might have known how superfluous your comment would be....and just that you'd post it like it was relevant as some sort of important pushback to the actual meat of the comparison leaves room for more criticism :) 

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Next up should be the banning of the confederate flag. Making it should be illegal, displaying it should be illegal.

There's much work to be done. Driving through Wardensville WV (which we all know was not part of the Confederacy) yesterday we noticed that a Confederate flag is flying in the town cemetery. You can see it on Google Street view too.

Wardensville cemetry.png

Yeah its hilarious to me when states that weren't in the confederacy fly the confederate flag. I mean its bad enough to associate with losers but to associate with them when you weren't even originally on their side to begin with? Why?

• Thanks 1

We should make a museum of villains and give the confederacy its own section where their crimes are laid bare.  Every nation has a reasonable interest in presenting its history in the best possible light, but there really is a need to remember the bad.  Monsters must be faced down, and that doesn’t stop being true after they’re gone if there evil ideology lives on.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

We should make a museum of villains and give the confederacy its own section where their crimes are laid bare.  Every nation has a reasonable interest in presenting its history in the best possible light, but there really is a need to remember the bad.  Monsters must be faced down, and that doesn’t stop being true after they’re gone if there evil ideology lives on.  

can we use first generation disney anamatrons for the confederates? between those, muppets, and claymation, i can see a lot of potential in your idea

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

can we use first generation disney anamatrons for the confederates? between those, muppets, and claymation, i can see a lot of potential in your idea

The creepy ones they have in the It's a Small World ride?  Sorry, but no.  We want people to remember the bad, not give them all PTSD. 

And imagine being the night security guy in a big building filled with animatronic confederate generals?  Creeps me out just thinking about it!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

25 minutes ago, Destino said:

The creepy ones they have in the It's a Small World ride?  Sorry, but no.  We want people to remember the bad, not give them all PTSD. 

And imagine being the night security guy in a big building filled with animatronic confederate generals?  Creeps me out just thinking about it!

Reminds me of this old toy store in NJ I went to as a kid. Like, 1950's frozen in time Toy store. There was this big wooden (I guess it was wooden) doll/man thing. I'm guessing it was Abe Lincoln, but it couldve also been a rando guy in a tailcoat and top hat. Unflinching. Creepy beard, creepy eyes, creepy sort of half grin.

If you ever see me talking about creepy people in top hats, just know that it comes from that. 😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah its hilarious to me when states that weren't in the confederacy fly the confederate flag. I mean its bad enough to associate with losers but to associate with them when you weren't even originally on their side to begin with? Why?

Especially West Virginia that split off of Virginia because of the rebellion.

6 hours ago, Destino said:

Sounds like the perfect backdrop to a suspense/horror movie.