Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update: RIP John McCain

TheGreatBuzz

The office for the 80-year-old McCain, the Republican nominee for president in 2008 and a U.S. senator representing Arizona since 1987, released a statement from the Mayo Clinic announcing that, after undergoing a procedure to remove a blood clot from above his left eye last week, “Subsequent tissue pathology revealed that a primary brain tumor known as a glioblastoma was associated with the blood clot.”

“The Senator and his family are reviewing further treatment options with his Mayo Clinic care team. Treatment options may include a combination of chemotherapy and radiation.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/07/19/sen-john-mccain-diagnosed-with-brain-cancer/?utm_term=.5f7c026b9d04

Just saw it on CNN.  Say what you want about him as a politician, it is still sad news.  I doubt he will be coming back to work though.  It will be interesting to see what happens to his seat.

Was clear during the Comey hearing he was suffering from some sort of illness that was impacting his cognitive abilities. Sad to hear this though. He's a genuinely good statesman and cares about this country. That's apparently a tough trait to come by for Republicans these days. 

Really sad. Always have and always will consider him an American hero, despite what our president says. A lot of respect for trying to shut down the "Obama is a Muslim" bull**** from the mouth breathers in the 2008 race. Also did a lot of good (or tried to anyway) for Native Americans over the years. There's more I'm sure but those are first few that come to mind. 

He hasn't been perfect or anything close to it and he's disappointed me a ton over the years but he's still a real American that cares about the country. And sadly, in this day and age, that isn't always a given from our "leaders". 

To his diagnosis, for anyone wondering,  a few years back my stepfather's father was diagnosed with literally the exact same thing. He was almost 20 years younger than McCain is nowdidn't have any permanent physical injuries from being a POW and was in seemingly good health. He was gone in six months. It was just really devestating. So yeah, this news is really, really bad news. 

One last thing, I feel sick about seeing McCain like that at the Comey hearing. Especially at the jokes people were cracking. There was clearly something very wrong with him and we know. Really sad news. 

always wondered how different the world would be right now if he won the 2000 republican nomination

I've been disappointed with him these last few years, as he seemed to lose alot of what I admired about him from afar

wishing him the best, he deserves a better ending than cancer.

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

always wondered how different the world would be right now if he won the 2000 republican nomination

I've been disappointed with him these last few years, as he seemed to lose alot of what I admired about him from afar

wishing him the best, he deserves a better ending than cancer.

Don't think it would have been much different as he is a Neo-con. Now if he had won the 2008 election I think things would have been significantly different and better. Figure Iraq would have stayed stabilized and Trump wouldn't be President now (Hillary probably).

4 hours ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

To his diagnosis, for anyone wondering,  a few years back my stepfather's father was diagnosed with literally the exact same thing. He was almost 20 years younger than McCain is nowdidn't have any permanent physical injuries from being a POW and was in seemingly good health. He was gone in six months. It was just really devestating. So yeah, this news is really, really bad news. 

One of my high school friends passed away from a glioblastoma a few years ago. He was only 28, in good health, and was gone in 3 months.  His wasn't caught until stage 4 though.  Given McCains age though,  ill be shocked if he makes it much further than the new year. 

Sad story to be sure. As far as establishment Republicans go, I respect him more than most. 

7 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

I've been disappointed with him these last few years, as he seemed to lose alot of what I admired about him from afar.

Ironically, my biggest concern about him in 2000 was his tendency to get involved in overseas conflicts. The GOP picking W over him was the last straw for me. While I don't doubt that he would have ventured into Iraq as well, at least he would have used more than a skeleton force instead of the stupid Rumsfeld doctrine. Would that have prevented the slide into full blown sectarian war? Possible, but doubtful.

Mostly, though, he was the last fiscal conservative the GOP had, and wouldn't have let spending explode the way it did under W. Losing in 2000 changed him, and he started pandering to all the worst religious and nativist elements within the Republican party. By 2008, I lost all respect for his political leanings.

Archived