Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update: RIP John McCain

TheGreatBuzz

United States Code Title 4 Chapter 1 — The Flag
§7. Position and manner of display
m. The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from any State, territory, or possession who dies while serving on active duty, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff, and the same authority is provided to the Mayor of the District of Columbia with respect to present or former officials of the District of Columbia and members of the Armed Forces from the District of Columbia. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; advert of the sizegenetics; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection —
1. the term “half-staff” means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;
2. the term “executive or military department” means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and
3. the term “Member of Congress” means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

Flying it any longer than the federal code states is at the discretion of the president.  Not sure what other presidents have done in the past when a sitting Member of Congress has passed, but regardless, Trump did it by the book.  It was lowered to half staff on Saturday when he passed and then back to full staff at midnight Sunday.  It really shouldn't surprise anyone given Trump's horrible comments about McCain and continued disrespect.  I'm actually surprised Trump didn't try to find a way to break the federal code or have it changed, it seems like something he would do.    

“Incremental progress, compromises that each side criticize but also accept, just plain muddling through to chip away at problems and keep our enemies from doing their worst isn’t glamorous or exciting. It doesn’t feel like a political triumph. But it’s usually the most we can expect from our system of government, operating in a country as diverse and quarrelsome and free as ours. 

“Considering the injustice and cruelties inflicted by autocratic governments, and how corruptible human nature can be, the problem solving our system does make possible, the fitful progress it produces, and the liberty and justice it preserves, is a magnificent achievement.

“Our system doesn’t depend on our nobility. It accounts for our imperfections, and gives an order to our individual strivings that has helped make ours the most powerful and prosperous society on earth. It is our responsibility to preserve that, even when it requires us to do something less satisfying than ‘winning.’ Even when we must give a little to get a little. Even when our efforts manage just three yards and a cloud of dust, while critics on both sides denounce us for timidity, for our failure to ‘triumph.’ 

“I hope we can again rely on humility, on our need to cooperate, on our dependence on each other to learn how to trust each other again and by so doing better serve the people who elected us. Stop listening to the bombastic loudmouths on the radio and television and the Internet. To hell with them. They don’t want anything done for the public good. Our incapacity is their livelihood."

~ John McCain July 25, 2017

12 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

~ John McCain July 25, 2017

Well spoken.

McCain is an authentic war hero and a powerful symbol of honorable service and sacrifice.  These are big reasons why he's being universally mourned.  But I think another one is that he's also a powerful symbol of functional institutionalism, decency in politics, and good-faith government.  Losing him represents the loss of that.

There is no more palpable illumination of just how terrible a place we are in as a country right now than seeing John McCain die and Donald Trump occupy the White House.

RIP John McCain, but this lionizing of him and forgetting the past has to stop. A good person doesn't leave his wife and three children who waited for him for years while he was held captive in Vietnam and married his second wife while still married to his first.

A good person doesn't call a 13 year old ugly like he did with Chelsea Clinton and say Janet Reno is her dad.

A good person doesn't vote against making Martin Luther King Jr Day a national holiday and it is probably related that his state had to be forced by the NFL to make it a national holiday.

A good person, who endured the horrible tragedy as a POW during Vietnam, doesn't make light of that when running for President by turning bombing Iran into a song.

Those are a few examples. He also voted for over 80% of Trump's policies and the Keating 5 scandal in the 80s. And his unleashing of Sarah Palin is a direct line to the Trump presidency.

I give him a lot of credit for attempting to change his stance on some of these things, but this re-writing of the past has to stop.

RIP to McCain. Re-name the Senate building after him because Senator Russell was a staunch and proud racist. Honor him, but let's not pretend the past didn't happen. And none of that is excusing Trump's behavior on McCain's passing.

I think it's still too soon to speak ill. Was he perfect? Or course not. He'd (from what I can tell) would have probably been the first to tell you that. But he was by all accounts an imperfect person trying to do right. It didn't always work but I don't see him as the monster in the room (like someone has).

19 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

^^^ So you cherry pick a lifetime of mostly petty missteps to judge the inherent goodness of a man?  That's some awesome judgement you wield.

Petty missteps? He married his second wife before he divorced his first wife and had a long affair. That's a petty misstep to you?

He called his wife a c***.

He insulted a child. 

I didn't make a big deal of the Keating 5 stuff, but that was him. I also didn't talk about his support for the War in Iraq (he wanted the Iraq war in 2001 and then he backtracked but many people died for this)

These aren't petty missteps. These are things that he did and would be seen as bad if someone you knew did this. I never called McCain a monster or a bad person. But I am not joining in on this lionizing that the media and many on this board want to do. I am reverential of his passing and he did serve in public office for a long time, but I am not joining this party either.

That doesn't mean I don't respect him and don't think he had a good faith in his convictions (or most of them like most politicians) but I refuse to pretend as well. 

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

but I don't see him as the monster in the room (like someone has).

I never called him a monster. All I said is don't lionize him.

Archived