Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update: RIP John McCain

TheGreatBuzz

i support a lot of the more critical discussion....i detested a fair share of his positions...here's one thing, and i'm affected by a better than layman awareness of what mccain went through in the hanoi hilton---even if you go through "just" a few weeks or months of that stuff, let alone years, and you come out of it with the wherewithal to go on to participate reasonably in anything like a normal mainstream life, let alone accomplish anything like what mccain did with his family and career (even with privilege and all that material support) ---and taking into account whatever flaws of character assigned to him or positions detested---then from my perspective you have done remarkably, admirably, well and are even inspirational, while still flawed

certainly none of us are anything other than a mixed bag at best...and however unlikely, if any of of us ever accomplish more "good" overall, no matter how defined via right/left/liberal/conservative, i would also find that remarkable and be very pleased for everyone involved

(ot, but these days any benign sentiment i express toward anything/anyone gop-related should be archived so i'll believe it later)

I think it’s sad that every time I hear the news reports they seem to make it a highlight that Obama is a democrat and he’s, *gasp* saying nice things about a republican.  

Same wth bush but slightly less so because the focus isn’t on party. 

This should be expected. Not a noteworthy surprise. 

39 minutes ago, tshile said:

I forgot how strong of a speaker Bush could be.

I watched the different speakers.  I was waiting for Bush to mess up.  Waiting for Biden to swear.

Policy differences aside, I love listening to Obama speak.  It was funny when he made a joke and people seemed unsure if they could laugh at a funeral.

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

He does.... tend.... to use.... ..... quite a few... uh.... verbal pauses.

This is off topic, but Obama made it so easy for us in the radio newsroom to grab soundbites. His captures were always clean. You could grab what you needed and there was never an awkward beat or breath. I wonder if his speaking style was developed with cuts in mind.

On topic, I hope some of the thoughts today last and resonate. 

13 hours ago, tshile said:

I love listening to Obama speak but I watched the two of them back to back and I prefer Bush’s brevity. Obamas cadence doubles the time any given speech takes. 

5 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

He does.... tend.... to use.... ..... quite a few... uh.... verbal pauses.

Well, he is a ST:TOS kid.  That Shatner cadence can stick with ya.

james-kirk-main.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

On 9/1/2018 at 7:10 PM, tshile said:

I love listening to Obama speak but I watched the two of them back to back and I prefer Bush’s brevity. Obamas cadence doubles the time any given speech takes. 

Yeah that's true. Not a huge deal but I did notice that his eulogy was quite a bit longer than Bush's. I'm sure part of that is, as you said, Bush's general tendency towards more direct brevity in his speaking and Obama's tendency towards a more classical oratory style. Both were really good though. I think they both did a pretty good job of adding a little levity and anecdotes about McCain that made people smile. 

Archived