Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

4 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

As was explained, many of the posters that you’re referring to are conservatives. Actual conservatives who believe that conservativism means more than blind allegiance to anyone pretending to be a Republican. The GOP does not operate with conservative values or promote conservative policies.

In short, right wingers who reject Trump and current GOP leadership are many times more conservative & many, many, many times better Republicans than your average MAGA supporter, FOXNews goop, or GOP congressman.

Hi!  :pint:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

If “liberal ideology” means “not ignoring reality”. As was explained, many of the posters that you’re referring to are conservatives. Actual conservatives who believe that conservativism means more than blind allegiance to anyone pretending to be a Republican. The GOP does not operate with conservative values or promote conservative policies.

In short, right wingers who reject Trump and current GOP leadership are many times more conservative & many, many, many times better Republicans than your average MAGA supporter, FOXNews goop, or GOP congressman.

Yep.  Trump has changed what it means to be a Republican.  He, along with the current elected GOP officials are the one making their party a small tent organization. It doesn't mean all the conservatives on this board became liberals, it simply means they are not willing to go along with the nonsense in the White House and feel it is more important to fix that problem than preserve power in the name of party.

14 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Yep.  Trump has changed what it means to be a Republican.

Strongly disagree.  

There is very little that Trump has done that has not been GOP SOP for the last 30 years.  In fact, I will point out that many of the actions taken aren't even on Trump.  Trump didn't write that tax cut, or the spending increase.  Doubt he could name a single thing in either of them.  Both of those were created solely by the GOP congress.  

The stinker that they tried to replace Obamacare with?  (After the voters told them that just repealing it, without a replacement, wouldn't fly?)  Again, 100% written in closed rooms occupied entirely by GOP congressmen.  

And the rest of the things might be being done by Trump, but the GOP is unanimously going along with them.  

Some day, Trump is going to go so far that people will turn on him.  (There has to be a line, somewhere?  Right?)  And when he does, the GOP is going to try to sell the narrative that Trump is singlehandedly responsible for all their sins.  

Don't buy it.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 3

On 4/17/2019 at 9:47 AM, superozman said:

I do see more people with liberal ideology posting, do you not agree?  

Here, in political threads, you’re going to see a very strong majority of posters from the liberal side of things. 

Theres reasons for that. They don’t have the whitehouse and are more likely to complain (and do so loudly and often.)  additionally trump is a buffoon so there’s more to complain about than usual. 

But also the sad sad reality is that the republican side of things has become really hard to defend. As someone who grew up with a tendency to lean right, I can’t think of a policy stance they have that makes me feel good about the platform. 

For all the warts of the democrats at least they can usually fall back on intentions. Maybe <insert idea> wasn’t a good solution, but at least they were trying to help minorities/gays/poor/etc. 

i cant think of the equivalent for the republicans. Unless we want to start pretending Christians are some persecuted class here in need of assistance. 

So most people on the right quit engaging. The few of us left don’t get to do much policy talk because you get shouted down due to the overwhelming presence of liberals and the overwhelming terribleness of the republicans right now. There’s not a whole lot of room for trading ideas right now. So most are being quiet or selectively commenting without trying to spark a big debate. 

The ones without such such restraint and reservations usually come in and ramble on about some weird right wing conspiracy nonsense until a mod bans them. 

The best “fix” is for the republicans to learn how to be responsible adults and give us policy ideas that don’t suck and stop saying outright racist and sexist things so that there’s something to actually discuss. 

There’s nothing i feel like going to bat for them on. Not one thing. I can’t even imagine voting for one right now much less wasting time defending one of their policy ideas. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tshile said:

Here, in political threads, you’re going to see a very strong majority of posters from the liberal side of things. 

Theres reasons for that. They don’t have the whitehouse and are more likely to complain (and do so loudly and often.)  additionally trump is a buffoon so there’s more to complain about than usual. 

But also the sad sad reality is that the republican side of things has become really hard to defend. As someone who grew up with a tendency to lean right, I can’t think of a policy stance they have that makes me feel good about the platform. 

For all the warts of the democrats at least they can usually fall back on intentions. Maybe <insert idea> wasn’t a good solution, but at least they were trying to help minorities/gays/poor/etc. 

i cant think of the equivalent for the republicans. Unless we want to start pretending Christians are some persecuted class here in need of assistance. 

So most people on the right quit engaging. The few of us left don’t get to do much policy talk because you get shouted down due to the overwhelming presence of liberals and the overwhelming terribleness of the republicans right now. There’s not a whole lot of room for trading ideas right now. So most are being quiet or selectively commenting without trying to spark a big debate. 

The ones without such such restraint and reservations usually come in and ramble on about some weird right wing conspiracy nonsense until a mod bans them. 

The best “fix” is for the republicans to learn how to be responsible adults and give us policy ideas that don’t suck and stop saying outright racist and sexist things so that there’s something to actually discuss. 

There’s nothing i feel like going to bat for them on. Not one thing. I can’t even imagine voting for one right now much less wasting time defending one of their policy ideas. 

I still think this off.  I think a lot of "conservatives" don't actually know what liberal is.

The board certainly leans further left than it did pre-Trump and probably pre-Obama.

But you are still more likely to see a "ban abortion" (twa) comment here than a pro-reparations comment (though, I'm not following the election threads closely so maybe that's actually off).  Yet, they poll at about the same level nationally.

Is anybody here actively pro-reparations?

Edited by PeterMP

I've been here since right at the beginning of the Dubya era, and from memory when there was a more traditional neo-con prototype in the White House the conservative/GOP portion of the forums were more vocal and participated more in the tailgate.   The thing is the GOP has shifted as a party to the Trump party.  Ever since Obama was elected the GOP has systematically eliminated folks from the middle.  Anyone who dared to praise or work with Obama was primary-d or expunged or left on their own accord.   What we see today is something most of the GOP posters likely have no interest in talking about let alone try to defend.  That isn't the fault of the liberals on the forum.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yea really. thats some scary ****. Im going to have to start carrying and I really dont want to do that at all. 

That day has long past for me.  I used to carry about 50% of the time when I am not on base.  I'd say I'm at about 95% of the time now.  Whether it is random or targeted violence, the country is a dangerous place to walk around in right now.

Political parties don’t become less extreme on their own or through demographic change. 

The GOP either needs to suffer historic losses at the polls, which it won’t, or they will continue down a trajectory where people like Matt Shea start becoming the norm.

I am 100% of the belief that it will get worse than Donald Trump. 

35 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

That day has long past for me.  I used to carry about 50% of the time when I am not on base.  I'd say I'm at about 95% of the time now.  Whether it is random or targeted violence, the country is a dangerous place to walk around in right now.

Im going to be honest with you im a little more scared to carry than I am to be unprotected. But being unprotected is just silly at this point. I wouldnt be able to protect my family in the event something went wrong. But part of me knows that having a gun on my person opens me up to a whole new world of danger that I dont know if I would be able to handle correctly. I beating around the bush cause its the black/cop thing and im not trying to get into it here but im sure you know what I mean. 

• Like 2

Just now, Llevron said:

Im going to be honest with you im a little more scared to carry than I am to be unprotected. But being unprotected is just silly at this point. I wouldnt be able to protect my family in the event something went wrong. But part of me knows that having a gun on my person opens me up to a whole new world of danger that I dont know if I would be able to handle correctly. I beating around the bush cause its the black/cop thing and im not trying to get into it here but im sure you know what I mean. 

I totally understand.  I'm quite proficient with a firearm and have no intention of trying to be Jack Bauer if something bad happened.  Also, and I mean no offense by this but I think you what what I mean also, I feel a lot more comfortable carrying because I am white.  This is probably enough of a derail though.

• Like 1

Some Suburban State Lawmakers Are Leaving the GOP

Since the midterm elections, Republican legislators in California, Kansas and New Jersey have switched to the Democratic party.

https://www.governing.com/topics/politics/gov-california-kansas-party-switch-lawmaker.html

‘If this is the new normal, I want no part of it’: Citing Trump, Iowa’s longest-serving Republican leaves party

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/04/24/if-this-is-new-normal-i-want-no-part-it-citing-trump-iowas-longest-serving-republican-leaves-party/?utm_term=.809adf5a5f8b

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

Some Suburban State Lawmakers Are Leaving the GOP

Since the midterm elections, Republican legislators in California, Kansas and New Jersey have switched to the Democratic party.

https://www.governing.com/topics/politics/gov-california-kansas-party-switch-lawmaker.html

‘If this is the new normal, I want no part of it’: Citing Trump, Iowa’s longest-serving Republican leaves party

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/04/24/if-this-is-new-normal-i-want-no-part-it-citing-trump-iowas-longest-serving-republican-leaves-party/?utm_term=.809adf5a5f8b

This is a good sign, though I dont give them much credit because we all knew this for years at this point. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

This is a good sign, though I dont give them much credit because we all knew this for years at this point. 

I actually do give people a lot of credit when they leave the party. I think one of the toughest things for a lot of people is to admit to being wrong and taking action to course correct. 

• Thanks 1