Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

I definitely agree that wealthy white liberals in destination cities share some blame for the unlivable conditions.

San Francisco is going through a huge issue with that.  A lot of the tech sector workers live in SF and are shuttled to silicon valley.  

It's a case of wealthy folks wanting to be a part of a city rich in culture & diversity, but in effect their presence is driving out the culture & diversity they seek to be among. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Conservatives don't want to say the words out loud, but to a lot of them America's identity is of a Caucasian nation.  Despite how wrong-headed it is, and historically inaccurate, this is the vision they have in their head. Same reason to them race relations got worse to when the oppressed starting speaking up and fighting back.  It was all good when "those people" were over there, and quiet.  Ya know, the "good ol' days"  Oh sure they were not given equal rights, and treated as 3/5th a person, but at least it was over there somewhere and was not an inconvenience to them.  

• Like 2

i've talked here before about how much fun the john birchers were when i was a teenager. they too were more plentiful that one may have known. in a large majority of small towns to larger communities you could almost always find a john birch bookstore where they gave away and sold materials of all kinds (this was how it was done before the internet) and they were all across the country . and no dems involved from my experience.

my take since awareness set in during adolescence, is that a large percentage of republicans always have been the neanderthal "deplorables" and are no longer ok will simply being managed or sometimes wrangled by the gop "elite" and "shushed/kept down" by the more cro magnon goper electorate, who are now divided into never trumpers or reluctant trump supporters willing to sacrifice basic decency, integrity, and much else for their ideology, and who would minimize the nature and size of that contingent but would still solicit and get their votes

but now this yuge longtime goper refuge for all forms of racism, delusional reality-rejecting religious extremist/nutters, conspiracy nuts, militia nuts, homophobes, science deniers, hell , just fact deniers, and fox news/britebart/crazyradio addicts are out of the closet for good....and in much more force now that they have someone (that's conned them into thinking he's of their kind) finally at the top and openly embracing/advancing their pathetic content, and that there horde don't intend to look back

(many of don's personal views may match-up, but of course he's not about them, they're just his meal ticket)

those pre-trump gopers that are staying on with don for whatever motive will find their wagon fully hooked  to this sick-ass horor show from here onward, so they may hope trump does gets a 3rd and 4th term

now re: the question in the thread title,  i do hope everyone is at least tad sensitive about expressions/suggestions relating to annihilating an entire demographic, even if not just because of their race, religion, country of origin, or sexual orientation, but just becuase, in this case, the demographic  "all-in crazy-misogynist-malevolent-racist-multiphobe trumpsters"

otoh, you know how Carol (I'm like Carol---compassionate yet flexible) took the sick people out of the prison and handled that cuz of that sort of situation? It's possible that looking to TWD as a source of moral and ethical guidance for humans at the highest level may be useful. it may be easier for some to find acceptance of such a concept if the proposed demographic was "all serial rapists and killers" (still a solid debate to have there on scientific and moral grounds) or all short people (slam dunk), and then if you're ok with that you might work your way to more versatility with your Caroling

we're here for you when you're ready

these days in discussion i lean harder towards cutting little slack, though still depending on the situation, when dealing with a actual trump supporter..... i'll default to nice/polite initially in discussion  but at the drop of any hat all bets are off.......any goper who is still running their mouth 3 times more about the dems very real problems/failures than this current historically hysterically corrupt incompetent hateful **** show gets marked way way down for terminally subpar prioritization...and if any goper decides to preach on any matter other than pure policy----like morality or ethics or corruption or honesty or hypocrisy or basic management competency, you maybe should be comfy with laughing in their face if you're willing to risk that "alienating a possible flip vote" fear, and dismiss them with the obvious explanation : they have zero standing to prosecute a case against anybody else anymore, and they get accorded zero credibility and zero integrity when trying to...hey should be vigorously lambasted any time they ever criticize anything or anybody on any other side on those matters until they have devoted the bulk of their output to berating don and all don-helpers out of office :D

ah, the smell of napalm in the morning  🇺🇸

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/19/2019 at 12:55 PM, Jumbo said:

now re: the question in the thread title,  i do hope everyone is at least tad sensitive about expressions/suggestions relating to annihilating an entire demographic, even if not just because of their race, religion, country of origin, or sexual orientation, but just becuase, in this case, the demographic  "all-in crazy-misogynist-malevolent-racist-multiphobe trumpsters"

Yanno, I ponder this a lot. On the one hand, historically large entrenched demographic elements don't really tend to change, even when they suffer for it. There are a lot of people in this country that we would be flat out better off without, I don't think that can be argued although different people would argue about the candidates of that group. And it is a guilty lil fantasy at times to imagine that they might simply up and disappear, like bad neighbors packing up and moving away. And I in no way limit this to political groups, trumpoids, revanchists, racists, NeoNazi LARPers or their ilk. 

But here's the rub. Any overt action towards that end would in itself lay waste to the fundamental premise of what America is supposed to be about. There is no way to just hide 30 million graves and pretend they're not there.  

So we struggle and squirm to find some other way to reach people, to change them, to help them change themselves. And in that regard I do find it morally and ethically acceptable to shame, shun or exclude them. People that openly, willingly reject human, societal interactions, that refuse to accept that there is some basic social contract between us all are de facto not a part of any society that I'd lay claim to. Are they welcome to rejoin the human race? Sure, that serves everyone's best interests, but in the same way a drunk or druggie has to hit rock bottom and admit their error and ask for help, the hate addicts are going to have to make the first move for me to reach out.

Every day more and more young people go out into a world where their friends and neighbors and coworkers are widely diverse and it is the norm, they just are not carrying that baggage of rhetoric and isms. This defines society, this IS the norm and ultimately this will subvert and replace the old constructions of alienation and contempt. 

I've said this repeatedly, this whole sick passage was necessary, this is a test of character for the nation and even for the world. The Republican Party will serve as a "don't be THAT guy!" example for generations to come.

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Why can’t we boycott Disney until they clean house over at Fox news?

Because they don't own Fox News.

Fox News was not part of what Disney purchased.  It and other parts of Fox were spun off into a new company not part of the Disney acquisition.

• Like 1

we're about one racist tweet away from this toxic orange lumpy leader of the fully-supplicant gop for the thread title being changed to:

"**** the republican party and everyone supporting it" 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1