Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

Both parties have their faults and plenty to criticize the other for, but I am finding it hard to point to anything the GOP has done in the last 30+ years that was good for the country & the people. I am sure there are plenty of things on the local level around the country that I wouldn't know a bout but I am meaning more as a matter of official party platform. 

I know the Dems do their fair share of demonizing the GOP, but I honestly don't understand why people outside of the wealthy vote for the GOP in modern times.  I feel like the GOP only can still win when they have convinced everyone that the "Demon-crats" are satanic vile.  I am not sure what issues win the day for the GOP besides maybe the the social conservatives who pander to evangelicals. Otherwise, where are the policies they push for that are popular with..........anyone?

Strip the politics of it all out (meaning the fact that a political party is always gearing up for the next election) and just look at the GOP as an organization, where it currently is, and what’s required to get away from that and save the long term legitimacy and viability of the organization... for just a moment...

they’re controlled by the monster they created. Decades of catering to white supremacy, even if just whistle blowing, has created a base that consists of either white supremacists, or people who don’t think they are but are strongly attached to bogus talking points

(in the context of the last few weeks an example would be someone who isn’t racist, but who’s first response to the BLM/George Floyd thing is something akin to “why don’t they stop killing each other first” or “why don’t they fix their community first”, which in my view don’t require a racist or even prejudice mindset but simply a level of ignorance about it all)

in order to get where most of us think they should want to be, they’d have to embark on a huge re-education campaign of their base. They’d have to toss all their talking points and large chunks of their economic and social policy agendas. They’d have to dump half (if not more) of their think tanks and grooming pipelines for politicians and judges. After doing all of that, they’d then have to retool their public image in an effort to attract more moderate conservatives who have left because, while we want some of the conservative ideals we don’t want them at the expense of supporting or tacitly allowing racism to be such a large part of it all

then they could focus on the independents. 

Realistically... that’s a huge undertaking and would take years... years... to implement correctly. 

now return to the equation the fact that they’re constantly in an election cycle for the next election. 

it’s not possible. They won’t sacrifice 10 years of elections to clean up their act. That’s not how politics works. Even if the ones in control now wanted to do that, they won’t be in control long enough to see it through and they certainly won’t reap the benefits down the road. 

there is no fixing the gop. There is only the delegitimizing of it. It must be forced to shrink to just being a haven of bigots and racists. 

a new party must be formed to attract people who aren’t wholly on board with the Democrats, but have morals and standards that won’t allow them to support  the GOP and its policies and candidates. 

and I’m not even sure what % of the voting population is obtainable to a party like that. 

and it wouldn’t take many missteps for a new party like that to simply be a haven for the group that ruined the GOP

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tshile said:

Strip the politics of it all out (meaning the fact that a political party is always gearing up for the next election) and just look at the GOP as an organization, where it currently is, and what’s required to get away from that and save the long term legitimacy and viability of the organization... for just a moment...

they’re controlled by the monster they created. Decades of catering to white supremacy, even if just whistle blowing, has created a base that consists of either white supremacists, or people who don’t think they are but are strongly attached to bogus talking points

(in the context of the last few weeks an example would be someone who isn’t racist, but who’s first response to the BLM/George Floyd thing is something akin to “why don’t they stop killing each other first” or “why don’t they fix their community first”, which in my view don’t require a racist or even prejudice mindset but simply a level of ignorance about it all)

in order to get where most of us think they should want to be, they’d have to embark on a huge re-education campaign of their base. They’d have to toss all their talking points and large chunks of their economic and social policy agendas. They’d have to dump half (if not more) of their think tanks and grooming pipelines for politicians and judges. After doing all of that, they’d then have to retool their public image in an effort to attract more moderate conservatives who have left because, while we want some of the conservative ideals we don’t want them at the expense of supporting or tacitly allowing racism to be such a large part of it all

then they could focus on the independents. 

Realistically... that’s a huge undertaking and would take years... years... to implement correctly. 

now return to the equation the fact that they’re constantly in an election cycle for the next election. 

it’s not possible. They won’t sacrifice 10 years of elections to clean up their act. That’s not how politics works. Even if the ones in control now wanted to do that, they won’t be in control long enough to see it through and they certainly won’t reap the benefits down the road. 

there is no fixing the gop. There is only the delegitimizing of it. It must be forced to shrink to just being a haven of bigots and racists. 

a new party must be formed to attract people who aren’t wholly on board with the Democrats, but have morals and standards that won’t allow them to support  the GOP and its policies and candidates. 

and I’m not even sure what % of the voting population is obtainable to a party like that. 

and it wouldn’t take many missteps for a new party like that to simply be a haven for the group that ruined the GOP

Don't forget about the lifetime appointments that the GOP will have to answer to for the next 40 to 50 years. I'm sure those ghosts will come back to haunt the GOP on a regular basis in the future.

• Like 1

The official stance of the party is to be against mask wearing during a pandemic, to be against BLM protests after the country saw another black man dehumanized and murdered by the state and to be against the removal of pro-slavery symbols of traitors. 

Even in a country of low information voters this is one hell of an electoral posture. God speed in November. 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

The official stance of the party is to be against mask wearing during a pandemic, to be against BLM protests after the country saw another black man dehumanized and murdered by the state and to be against the removal of pro-slavery symbols of traitors. 

Even in a country of low information voters this is one hell of an electoral posture. God speed in November. 

They don't see any of that. 

They just see riots. 

4 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This thread is nuts. If Gaetz wasn't a trust fund kid, he'd be heading towards  door to door in his neighborhood to let everyone know what he seems to be. 

The worst part for me, is how Gaetz thinks he's so clever for thinking up this completely stupid idea. Did anyone actually believe this? Did he not think that literally ANYONE could find out the truth with a little research?

5 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

The worst part for me, is how Gaetz thinks he's so clever for thinking up this completely stupid idea. Did anyone actually believe this? Did he not think that literally ANYONE could find out the truth with a little research?

Right. He "adopted" the brother of a girl he "dated" ? Wtf? 

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants