Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you feel about the Receiving corps?

Vanguard

On 8/22/2017 at 3:40 PM, dyst said:

Just going by what we have seen in the preseason up to now...

1. Pryor has barely played and the connection between him and Kirk look awful.

2. Doctson, has barely played and has 1 catch in preseason.

3. Crowder, has been injured but looked good against the Packers. Think he'll be fine.

4. Reed, has been injured but when healthy, I'm not worried.

5. Vernon, not concerned at all.

6. Ryan mother ****ing Grant. Enough Said.

Pryor needs to start catching balls in the game.  Practice and the machine are fine, but the game is where its at.

Doctson I hope is not one of those dudes that are made from porcelain.  Hamstring injuries can linger so I don't have an issue with him not playing yesterday.  Get well dude and start playing like we all know you capable of.

Crowder is going to be great because he have seen him being great.  

Reed I am worried, is he going to play ever in all 16 games?

Vernon is looking very good, no worries here either.

Ryan Grant will be in the practice HOF by the time we cut him.

We are going to be ok in the WR, maybe not as good as last two years but good enough where if our running game takes a step forward it will be more than enough for us to be competitive.

On 8/21/2017 at 6:19 PM, RandyHolt said:

Latest Depth chart.... not sure but it seems like Quick may be ahead of R Davis. He may be insurance for Josh, at least early on.

I just had a vision that Quick catches our first TD pass of the year. He will clearly not be keyed on by the D.

I was actually expecting more of a hearty battle for the 5th WR spot.  At this point, I dont want any of 'em.

On 8/27/2017 at 0:43 PM, SkinssRvA said:

Grant is a useful option guys.  He's fourth in depth, knows all positions, and plays teams.  

As as for the rest of the corps I'll adjust after tonight's game, but so far pretty unimpressed.  Potential is there but timing, really with the entire first team offense, is off.  

I actually can livecwith Grant as a 4.  It's when he's any higher than that is when I have a problem. And with Doctson being Doctson, that's gonna happen.  

Any 4 WR set should just have Vernon Davis or Reed out there instead.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I was actually expecting more of a hearty battle for the 5th WR spot.  At this point, I dont want any of 'em.

I actually can livecwith Grant as a 4.  It's when he's any higher than that is when I have a problem. And with Doctson being Doctson, that's gonna happen.  

Any 4 WR set should just have Vernon Davis or Reed out there instead.

Yea but that's not a grant problem, that's a doctson problem. Grant getting thrown to the fire because doctson cant stay healthy isn't really fair. And I'd play reed there, but he wouldn't know the responsibilities. Definitely wouldn't throw Davis out there. 

If you want to settle the problem you just run more 21 or 12 with reed flexed, which we do a fair amount of anyway. But you get too predictable. It's why I think grant is useful, he can fill the void of any three receiver spots when someone goes down and you don't have to change philosophy. 

Pryor has certainly been a disappointment so far.  The connection on Cousins' end is fine when it comes to him.  The ball has been delivered, on time and right at him.  Pryor hasn't been holding up his end of the bargain.  I would like to know if drops for him last year were an issue or not.

Crowder will prove to be the most reliable guy we have, he's durable and produces no matter what.  

I am fearful that this is a very talented group, yet somewhat delicate, too.  Reed is a guy you always hold your breath for when he gets hit and Doctson has barely seen the field and always seems to have an injury issue.  On the other end of the spectrum you've got Crowder and Davis who are durable guys.  I haven't seen much of Pryor but he played all 16 games last year, hopefully he's durable, too.

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Pryor has certainly been a disappointment so far.  The connection on Cousins' end is fine when it comes to him.  The ball has been delivered, on time and right at him.  Pryor hasn't been holding up his end of the bargain.  I would like to know if drops for him last year were an issue or not.

140 targets and 4 drops.  Now I'm not entirely sure what constitutes as a drop for statistical purposes, but he was playing with awful QBs. 

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

140 targets and 4 drops.  Now I'm not entirely sure what constitutes as a drop for statistical purposes, but he was playing with awful QBs. 

Well that's good to know.  Still, 4 drops out of 140 targets sounds pretty good.  The next thing would be to know is how that compares to the league average for receivers.  

And that's also true, he played with terrible QBs while he was there.  I think it's automatically assumed that he'd be better here because we have a better QB than anything Cleveland had last year.  I still have faith but these first few games have been disappointing. 

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well that's good to know.  Still, 4 drops out of 140 targets sounds pretty good.  The next thing would be to know is how that compares to the league average for receivers.  

And that's also true, he played with terrible QBs while he was there.  I think it's automatically assumed that he'd be better here because we have a better QB than anything Cleveland had last year.  I still have faith but these first few games have been disappointing. 

He was tied for 28th on the list with a number of other players.  Michael Crabtree led the league with 9 on 145 targets.  So his 4 doesn't really stand out as an issue.  However the drops in preseason scare the heck out of me too, considering it sounds like he never does such a thing in practice.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He was tied for 28th on the list with a number of other players.  Michael Crabtree led the league with 9 on 145 targets.  So his 4 doesn't really stand out as an issue.  However the drops in preseason scare the heck out of me too, considering it sounds like he never does such a thing in practice.

I agree, the drops this preseason are alarming because he's been hit in the chest and has been able to get both hands on the ball.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/08/28/this-terrelle-pryor-kirk-cousins-pairing-might-need-a-little-time/?utm_term=.ea90c855f227

“It is what it is. A dropped ball? I mean, who cares? It happens,” Pryor said after the game when asked if he was disappointed. “When I came out [of the break], the ball’s out a little early. I saw it coming in flight and then as soon as it hit my hands, I started looking because I wanted to go, catch the ball and run. And that’s usually what happens when you don’t look the ball all the way in and you look to run instead. So that’s what I’m saying: It happens. We’ll grow from that and get better.”

Also somewhat alarming is the "who cares" attitude.  But at least he knows he was trying to run before catching it, which should be fixable.  

41 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree, the drops this preseason are alarming because he's been hit in the chest and has been able to get both hands on the ball.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/08/28/this-terrelle-pryor-kirk-cousins-pairing-might-need-a-little-time/?utm_term=.ea90c855f227

Also somewhat alarming is the "who cares" attitude.  But at least he knows he was trying to run before catching it, which should be fixable.  

I'm less scared of the who cares attitude and more that it takes a sensitive Sally to say that. Pryor are you a baller? One Year Deal. Prove it. Whether at my job or football, you ball or shut the f up and learn. He was embarassed, now I want to see him take the hit. 

Gosh Dangit I don't want to bring up Sean Taylor like he is some spirit animal, but respect the game ****ers. It's life when things go wrong. Chinstrap on and take it. 

38 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Oh, a dude in a contract year, cares more than he lets on.  But the game didnt count so there's that.

He's more than just in a contract year, he's in a "I was the top highschool athlete in any sport coming out" I want to see him get fed as much as anybody. Kirk is in a similar, albeit different, boat. 

This is the quote that bugs me the most: 

“We’re getting started a little too slow, and maybe that’s on account [of] me,” Pryor said, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “I’ll take the blame. Maybe I’ve got to do something better.”

I may be a bit picky here, but he says 'maybe it's me', he then takes the blame, but then says he has to do 'something' better? 

It just strikes me as if he's trying to say the typical sports chiche, but he's not really taking ownership and there's no real plan to make things better. He could have said he'll talk to the WRs coach and put in the effort or that reps will help. Going with him having to do 'something' better it makes me feel as if he's hoping things just get better on their own.

Anyway, there's no real football to speak about, so we mind as well overweight stuff that's happening in practice games...

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Just to play the contrarian... wide receivers like defensive backs sometimes need to have really short memories. You don't a receiver dwelling or overthinking their drops because it might lead to worse. Confidence and concentration are probably the most important factors to catching a ball (a well thrown ball doesn't hurt either). Pryor from everything we have read has worked really hard on his craft and on his ability to make receptions. His words may be flip, but his practice habits are anything but.

I have a confession.

It's my fault Pryor can no longer catch the ball and Cousins can no longer throw accurately. On Thursday I drafted both onto my FF team, thereby dooming their production this year. I couldn't resist the value of Pryor in the 5th round as my WR3...and Cousins in the 7th round was a consensus top 5 QB and 7 of the 10 teams already picked QBs. I just didn't think the jinx would start until the actual season began. To make matters worse, I gave in to the allure of Perine and took him in the 15th round as my 5th RB...and then the Cincy game happened to him (what, 5 carries for 5 yards? ugh).

Mea culpa. 

I'm not worried about Pryor.  I see the intensity and he's got goingvto continue to get better when he gets his timing down with Cousins.

Doctson is another matter entirely. I still don't get the sense he's going to last a full season -- leaps nicely, but not sure how he's going to handle the hits that will ensue.

23 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I'd prefer Zach Pascal than Hazel.

I'm happy with the receiving corps although i'd like to see them all at once.

Doctson

Pryor

Crowder

Grant

Pascal

Davis

Don't know if leaving him off was intentional, but I'm less certain that Harris makes the team now.  My hunch is they keep him (he's more of a known quality), but maybe not at the expense of Davis.  

11 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Don't know if leaving him off was intentional, but I'm less certain that Harris makes the team now.  My hunch is they keep him (he's more of a known quality), but maybe not at the expense of Davis.  

He's in a rough spot because he's missed most of the offseason due to injury. I just don't think he's shown enough and his biggest attribute was his height and physicality, which isn't as dire so long as Pryor and Doctson are playing. I suppose he could make it if the team decides to open up a PS spot for a WR but who knows?

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

He's in a rough spot because he's missed most of the offseason due to injury. I just don't think he's shown enough and his biggest attribute was his height and physicality, which isn't as dire so long as Pryor and Doctson are playing. I suppose he could make it if the team decides to open up a PS spot for a WR but who knows?

He's tough to judge given the lack of PT this camp, you're right.  Thought he performed admirably as a rookie though.  Not sure if coaches have the same "what have you done for me lately"/"shiny toy" attitude as us fans (to the same degree anyway).  

I love the potential Davis provides, as well as attitude about playing ST.  Of course, I'm not sure what the coaches think based on TC.  He's flashed a bit in the games, but I didn't notice him on Sunday.  The good news is that with Grant ahead of him (in terms of backups), coaches can feel a bit more comfortable having a rook in the mix... similar to Harris last year.  

So, I'm putting Harris above the rest for now (contrary to @MartinC and his tweet about cutting him for the block in the back, lol), but it's still fluid.  

13 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

He's tough to judge given the lack of PT this camp, you're right.  Thought he performed admirably as a rookie though.  Not sure if coaches have the same "what have you done for me lately"/"shiny toy" attitude as us fans (to the same degree anyway).  

I love the potential Davis provides, as well as attitude about playing ST.  Of course, I'm not sure what the coaches think based on TC.  He's flashed a bit in the games, but I didn't notice him on Sunday.  The good news is that with Grant ahead of him (in terms of backups), coaches can feel a bit more comfortable having a rook in the mix... similar to Harris last year.  

So, I'm putting Harris above the rest for now (contrary to @MartinC and his tweet about cutting him for the block in the back, lol), but it's still fluid.  

I actually think Pascal has a better chance of making the final 53 because of ST than Davis does thus I expect Robert to hit PS. Pascal has the potential to be our punt returner an he was responsible for the sort of punt block agains Cincy. He's got above average speed and a good frame. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Agree, but Harris catches the ball.  For whatever damn reason the simple act of making a catch has proved difficult in this preseason.  I think Harris has a good shot because that has always been the thing he CAN do.  Pryor, Quick, Grant have performed poorly catching the ball.  Doctson may be good at that too, but the sample size is almost null.  Our receivers have to catch the ****ing ball.  I don't care to see a single workout video of catching wherever or at our non contact practice sessions.  I have to see it on the field.  Time up; time to play. Anyway, Harris is a tall target who, in the past, makes catches.  I'll take it over the piss poor performances I have seen to date.  I expected more from our receivers & QB, but hope springs eternal.  We have important roster decisions coming up shortly.  I hope Gruden, Allen, Snyder, whomever chooses wisely. Hail

Terrell Dropped 4 in 140 Targets 

Jamison 1 in 99 Targets

Davis 2 in 59 Targets

Reed 0 in 89 Targets 

Doctson was touted coming out of College for having strong hands. 

I'm not too worried about the drops until it becomes a problem. But as of now there's no reason to think it will be. 

Archived