Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma

TSO

Just watched highlight video of Mr. Perine.  OH MY!!!!!!!! :)

I knew he was a very good RB, but I've just come to realize that the young man is great!  He has size, punishing power, speed, an innate ability to stay on his feet, a tremendous stiff arm, and a great nose for the end zone!!!

He should be a nightmare in the fourth quarter!   All I can say is "WOW!!!!!!!"...

...and hail to the Redskins!!!

Kid seems to have a really nice sense of balance and body control, he leans away from defenders rather than sharp cuts, keeps up his speed, deflects incoming, etc. Nice work, great find on the vid

Just watched the highlight video and all I can say is wow! I'm elated with this pick, very low center of gravity (looks shorter than his listed height because of his build), tree trunk legs and a break tackle machine. He shared carries with Joe Mixon, but was never beaten out by Joe. His resume was completely overshadowed, and shouldn't have been.

Watching the film for myself these are the positives that came to my mind:

1) Ball security.  Very comfortable running left or right.  Really shows good awareness by getting the ball high in an angle when he feels a presence.  Looks just as fast with the ball in his left hand as he is when it's in his right. 

2) Game speed.  This kid doesn't run like a 4.61 back.  Once he gets in the open field he seems like he has another gear.  Some guys need to have competition.  Running by themselves against the clock doesn't get their juices flowing.  But when trying to beat someone they have another gear.  He's got that extra gear.

3) Balance.  I saw some big hits against him.  They may knock him off stride but he maintains his balance and keeps on going.  Doesn't have a jump cut but really this is his jump cut.  He won't be ran over or arm tackled.  His lower body is too strong. 

4) Toughness.  He really runs angry.  He doesn't really hunt people down as much as I had heard (and I'm glad for that) but when he knows contact is inevitable then by God he's going to punish somebody!

5)  Desire.  This kid wants it bad.  He will not be denied on the goal line.  If he only has to beat one defender that won't be enough to keep him out of the end zone. 

Barring some training camp or preseason injury (God forbid) he'll be the starting RB vs Philly in the opener.  His vision is ok but better than Fat Rob's.  All his other intangibles are better than Kelley.  That said, there will be carries for both of them.  Kelley isn't too far behind really.  I can't wait to see the four minute offense with the one-two punch of Perine and Kelley as we bludgeon the opposing defense into submission to close out a game. 

http://sportstalkfeed.com/early-2017-nfl-draft-rankings-running-backs/

The 5’11” 237 pound running back is an absolute bull with the ball in his hand. When he gets his momentum going, he is the spitting image of former Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LewiJa00.htm Lewis was a monster with seven seasons rushing over 1,000 yards and one over 2,000 yards. Also had the single game rushing record until AP broke it. He should have made more Pro Bowls. Perine looks a heck of lot like him the way he runs the ball.

150eaa460a036b9a4f78930f930ef8d2.jpg

perine.png

On 4/29/2017 at 8:58 PM, Califan007 said:

Saw this on CowboysZone:

"let me say this about the Redskins drafting Samaje Perine from Oklahoma. That boy is a beast and a baller. I've seen him break a run and outrun the defenders, even though he was limping on a bad ankle. And trying to bring him down one on one is almost impossible. Trust me, I'm not excited about Dallas having to play against him twice a year.

As much as I love and respect Sean Lee, he'd best get his big boy pants on if he meets Perine head on. That's going to be a major collision."

I can't wait for the day when their golden boy ends up on his back with cleat marks on his chest!

13 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

"Has good vision" is code for "big holes to run through".  Not quite,  but in this case it looks like his line gave him a lot to work with. I hope we can generate some space for him to do his thing. 

OU fan here. These highlights make OU's oline look great. They have just been okay recently. So it was usually alot of 1 and 2 yard runs and occasional big play. I'm not very high on this pick. I probably should be though

9 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

OU fan here. These highlights make OU's oline look great. They have just been okay recently. So it was usually alot of 1 and 2 yard runs and occasional big play. I'm not very high on this pick. I probably should be though

Being an OU fan why are you not high on this pick?  I just wanted to gauge you thoughts as you have probably seen more OU games than most of us.  

8 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

We only have a shell of that defense thought. Admittedly it has gotten better this offseason.

We also have one hell of a lot better air attack. Kirk is much better than Trent Dilfer. Plus we finally have bigger WRs.

1 hour ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Being an OU fan why are you not high on this pick?  I just wanted to gauge you thoughts as you have probably seen more OU games than most of us.  

Well to be honest I was really high on Mixon, and I very well could have mistaken Perine for Mixon while watching the games. I should have said I wasn't on the pick at first, but I am getting more excited about it. 

I know it's a highlight reel and anyone can look good, but the thing that stuck out to me most is the goal line plays.  He just keeps on trucking.  Imagine if we had that on the Redskins last year when we had all of the RZ woes.  Our RZ percentage couldn't have possibly been as bad if that was the case.  Hopefully he can do stuff like that when on the Redskins.  

I like his attitude, he comes off as very natural, very real, just a guy and not one of those divas that think they have made it once they get drafted. He sounds like a coaches dream, a young guy that already has figured out those important elements of working at your craft and perfecting your game and not just chasin' hookers and bright lights.

One thing I genuinely enjoy about this time of year is getting to know some of these young guys, hearing them speak for themselves, getting some sense of the men they will become. We did extremely well this draft in that regard.

Archived