Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma

TSO

11 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

How are his hands? Seems good from what I read but the random highlights I chose to watch, he never caught one.  I understand he is good in pass pro, which goes a long ways towards being an all down back.

I watched like 7 games yesterday. They didn't use him as much as Mixon but he is more than adequate as a pass catcher. He had several big plays catching the ball.

Haven't read through all the thread yet but I wanted to add some insights from some of my favorite sources, rotoviz is on the cutting edge of analytics as is player profiler and Matt Kelley, Matt Waldman is well known for his film study work and being highly skilled at evaluating RB's (despite being in the fantasy community he makes some coin doing freelance work for NFL teams from time to time too) though I wish he paid more attention to analytics. Fusue Due has made a lot of noise with the information he's dug up on Fournette (particularly the god awful comparison between his play in the I formation w/a lead fullback, and how his production drops by around 40% when operating as a lone back, something that suggests major issues at the NFL level), as well as his evaluations contrary results (Ishamel Zamora, a UDF was inside his top 3 rankings at WR for instance). 

Personally my view of Perine is two fold: #1 there seems to be a clear dichotomy between Perine in '14/'15 and Perine in '16, namely, he looked much more athletic, and much more skilled early in his career, and much less dynamic this past year. A lot of concern that he may have been carrying injury, or just broke down a bit, it's that stark, the possibility that the team coached him to run differently could also explain it. If we get the '14/'15 Perine, we get a future pro bowler, if we get the '16 guy, I think we get an adequate starter a bit better than Kelley. I think w/the line in place and hopeful improvements in run blocking which remains middling, and a passing game as capable as ours, Perine could thrive. There were other RB's I would have preferred: Nicholson, Aaron Jones, Kareem Hunt, and some I valued fairly similarly like Mack and Hill, but Perine, at slot 114, was a genuine value, I thought he should have gone top 85-100, I think he's a legit starter, whereas I didn't think that of Matt Jones. I preferred Nicholson for his passing game background and chops (was a WR in high school till late), as well as his dynamism as a runner, he's exceptionally skilled, but also raw in terms of instincts, Jones could end up being the steal of the draft. Had legit top 50-75 talent in my view. Just a monster stud. I firmly believe NFL F.O.'s were idiots in letting these guys drop until relatively late day 3, and view them as top 5-6 RB's in the class better than the bulk of the RB's selected. The problem is F.O.'s look at both of them and see satellite backs, rather than bell cows. I think they're flat out wrong, and I do give us and the Bucs a bit of a pass w/regards to them because we already have possibly two stud satellite backs in house (Thompson is very good in the row, and Marshall could develop into a monster if he could ever stay healthy), so it wasn't really a need, while Tampa actually did draft McNichols probably as a challenger for Sims role and w/the knowledge that they may be able to kick Martin to the curb if the suspension allows them to cut him w/o cap consequences. The Packers I'm less sure about. They brought in Jamaal Williams, similar to Perine, but a teeny bit more athletic while being not as strong, Aaron Jones, a monster stud, and an interesting athlete in Mays, while seemingly ready to give Ty Montgomery a good 10-15 touches a game. Wouldn't be a surprise if Green Bay experimented with a stable approach to give defenses different looks. Hunt's a personal favorite of mine. Tested poorly at the combine but won plaudits for his performance in film study, just looks like a dynamic, instinctive back with great balance and acceleration. I think he wins the KC job and turns into a top 15 RB in this league if not better. Was surprised he went so early though, after the combine he belonged in that muddle with Kamara, Perine, Mack, Hill, Williams, Jones and Nicholson. He was my favorite of the bunch but he still belonged in there. I forgot to mention Joe Williams, a steal for the Niners, word is that the Niners had him off the board due to his quitting (story seems to be family issues were too urgent for him to give the time necessary to play pro ball, but when the team was hit by a barrage of injuries at the RB position, he offered to come back in order to help), but that Kyle did the cliche'd, "Standing and pounding on the table for his selection" deal. Really like him too.

Anyway w/regards to us, I make no prediction for Perine other than that he'll win the starting job. Kelley is a classic backup, he can step right in and perform Perine's role adequately but lacks Perine's athletic profile and skill set, he makes sense as the direct backup while we try to see if Marshall can be turned into Thompson's replacement and eventually perhaps the Lightning to Perine's thunder. Either way our RB will improve a bit as long as the line can stay healthy. This was an excellent value and a solid pick in my view. My fav part about the pick was that unlike the Saints, Texans and Steelers who made puzzling moves, and the chiefs who pulled the trigger too early, we waited, and got a potential steal at corner w/our third rounder, getting better value by starting the day 3 RB run (always good to start a run rather than get stuck in the middle or end of one) in the early 4th instead of using a mid-3rd on a back who'd be no better and perhaps worse than RB's we could get 35+ picks later (in my view, and that of many I trust, the RB's rated around 5th-15th, are so similar, that waiting on the position made more sense than grabbing one early so long as you got the guy that fit your system's needs (for me and for us my guess was players like Perine, Hunt, Jamaal Williams, James Conner, Mack, Hill, J. Williams and perhaps McNichols and Jones (if we had our eyes open about them being legit bell cow's)), w/that knowledge in tow, it made sense to wait, there were literally at least 4-6 RB's (and as many as 9 if using my approach ) that depending upon our valuations, fit our needs and could be picked. These guys were taken  86th-3rd (Hunt), 105th-3rd (Conner?!?!), 114th-4th (Perine), 121st-4th (Joe Williams), 134th-4th (Jamaal Williams), 143rd-4th (Mack), and 156th-5th (Hill). Starting the day 3 run was clearly, especially if we had our evaluation sound, an excellent decision, and allowed us to land in Moreau, a possible steal, by avoiding reaching in round 3, and also prevented us from likely being stuck with Brian Hill, or nobody if we hadn't pulled the trigger when we did (only Hill was still available by the time we picked in round 5, although all save Williams and possibly Perine would have been available w/our 2nd 4th rounder if we'd chosen to wait a bit longer than 114). Basically every single back with a seeming bell cow evaluation went before our fifth rounder save for Brian Hill. 

A few insights from sites on the cutting edge of the metrics revolution, and some quotes from guys I trust and more:

http://rotoviz.com/2017/01/2017-nfl-draft-prospect-samaje-perine/

"....Perine played in only 9 games this season. Despite battling injuries and splitting time with Mixon, only Perine and Garrett Wolfe reached 4000 rushing yards and 48 rushing touchdowns in 35 or fewer career games since 2000 per.....

most of Perine’s production came in his first two seasons with close to a fifty percent market share of Oklahoma’s rush attempts, rushing yards and rushing touchdowns....Since November 1st Perine picked up more rushing opportunity in their final three games. He boosted his 2016 market share of rushing attempts and yards from 27 percent to 34 percent in both categories and accounted for 40 percent of the Sooners rushing touchdowns....Samaje Perine is built like Eddie Lacy and Andre Williams. While those seem like ominous comparisons, both were considered good prospects entering the NFL. Neither of which have the production resume of Perine, especially at such a young age....Perine has displayed some competence in the passing game, something that Williams never did at any level and what Lacy wasn’t often asked to do with the Packers...I expect Perine to succeed if given a similar role to what Lacy experienced in Green Bay. In the right situation, he could be a highly productive running back capable of scoring double digit rushing touchdowns each year. He’s currently expected to be a second or third round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft....We’ll have to see what his combine numbers look like. We know Perine is unbelievably strong... He’s still relatively young and would be 21 years old at the start of next season.

http://rotoviz.com/2017/04/2017-draft-reaction-samaje-perine-goes-to-the-washington-redskins/?hvid=2T0Hc5

Perine’s numbers point in two opposite directions. His 1,713 yards and 21 TDs as a freshman paint him as a Jordan Howard clone, and it’s easy to see him following Howard’s 2016 trajectory. On the other hand, his athletic profile gives him a very small chance of early relevance according to Cole’s model.

Player Profiler:

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/samaje-perine/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/samaje-perine-advanced-stats-metrics-player-profile/

Matt Waldman:

4 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Keith Marshall is not going to be the lighting to anybody's thunder. I doubt he makes it out of camp.

I tend to agree, but I'm not writing him off quite yet.  With the players we've added, it will be tough to go with 4 backs, but I could see him landing on the PS (if he stays healthy, of course).  

He's got a somewhat unique skill set compared to our current backs in that he's a blend of speed and power.  

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

He's got a somewhat unique skill set compared to our current backs in that he's a blend of speed and power.  

Yeah I really wanted to see him play last year the injuries were a bummer. If he comes out of the gate like he's healthy and has really put in the time developing vision etc. Maybe - his highlights he's at full speed so fast. Maybe too fast needs to be a bit more patient.

He didn't do well in camp, but the team was impressed enough with a 7th round to stash him. Why? Pedigree and athleticism. 5 star recruit to Georgia, more impressive than Gurley as a freshman before having his career derailed by injuries. At the Combine he blew up, posting a 100th percentile size adjusted 40 and a 100th percentile w/o the size adjustment. In the agility drills he finished in the 61st percentile. In the BP he finished in the 87th percentile with 25 reps (just 5 short of Perine), his SPARQ-x was in the 92nd percentile. 

He's essentially a monster athlete who disappeared at Georgia due to injury and Gurley and healthy Chubb. In Washington he struggled to stay healthy during 2016 (hamstring issues) before being placed on injured reserve with if i remember right, a UCL injury.  

He could be one of those guys that never turns into anything, but considering that 3 of the 4 best RB's we've had the past 25 years have been day 3 after thought draft picks (Terry Allen, Stephen Davis, and Alfred Morris), he could just be the next too,a nd unlike Allen, Davis, and Morris, he has a deeply impressive resume coming in. Maybe he never gets it, but in terms of raw athleticism, he's easily the most talented back on our roster, whether he can do anything with that talent is another question. 

2 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Keith Marshall is not going to be the lighting to anybody's thunder. I doubt he makes it out of camp.

Agreed.   I am still amazed that people are high on this kid because he is fast and was really good in high school.  Or so it appears that way anyway.  No I'm fine with a RB group of Rob, Perine, and Thompson.    Those will be the 3 that dress every week.

remember that Thompson was also pretty injury prone his first two years in the league, and while talent was obvious he couldnt stay on the field. 

Today, Thompson is probably the best RB on the team, but cant be relied on to stay healthy.

If Marshall can stay healthy long enough to stay on the field, I believe he might show to be a similar find to Thompson. 

I haven't had a chance to watch film on him yet, but everything I've heard and read so far suggests that he had his best year as a freshman when he was less heavy than he is now.  It seems like they asked him to bulk up in order to be more of a situational goal-line and 3rd and short back, and sometimes FB, to complement Mixon.  I hope we asked him to shed some pounds this offseason so that he can go into the season playing closer to the weight where he was most effective in college.

I've got high hopes for this guy, I think he can really do some damage this season. The guy is built like a freakin tank.. Huge upper body and equally impressive lower body.. look at how massive his legs are in some of his interview videos. The dude runs on tree trunks. I'm excited to see him this year and really think he can rush for 1200+ and 10-12 td's

11 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Agreed.   I am still amazed that people are high on this kid because he is fast and was really good in high school.  Or so it appears that way anyway.  No I'm fine with a RB group of Rob, Perine, and Thompson.    Those will be the 3 that dress every week.

It depends on what you look for in your RB group but personally, that group lacks explosiveness.

I don't see too much difference between Kelley and Perine.  They even wear the same # 32.

Of course, I'm kidding.  Should be an interesting camp battle.

The guy I really wanted was Gallman ... and guess where he ended up.

I also wanted Engram ... and guess where he ended up.

So its Gallman/Engram vs. Perine/Sprinkle.

Bets anyone?

I really like combination of Perine and Thompson.  To me, Kelly is a good back up.  I seem to be in minority here, but I do like Kieth Marshall!  IF, he comes in healthy and his knee is fully healed, I think he can beat out both Fat Rob and Mack Brown.  You can't teach speed, you can teach patience and I believe that is what KM lacks.  Either way, this is a pretty talented group of RBs.

7 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

I don't see too much difference between Kelley and Perine.  They even wear the same # 32.

Of course, I'm kidding.  Should be an interesting camp battle.

The guy I really wanted was Gallman ... and guess where he ended up.

I also wanted Engram ... and guess where he ended up.

Bets anyone?

Uhh no thanks. Not apples to apples since Engram has a 1st round pedigree and Sprinkle has a 5th round pedigree. 

Maybe:

Allen/Perine/Sprinkle vs. Engram/Gallman/Giants 5th rounder 

7 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Bets anyone?

Depends on the bet. If it's who's the better blocker, I'll take Sprinkle all day on Sunday. And that's the one thing we really don't have in a TE. One that can actually block.

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Uhh no thanks. Not apples to apples since Engram has a 1st round pedigree and Sprinkle has a 5th round pedigree. 

Maybe:

Allen/Perine/Sprinkle vs. Engram/Gallman/Giants 5th rounder 

Now its apples and oranges ... LOL.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Depends on the bet. If it's who's the better blocker, I'll take Sprinkle all day on Sunday. And that's the one thing we really don't have in a TE. One that can actually block.

Agree with you on this ... that is why I think Carrier makes 53 and Paul gets pink slip.

Perine could be meh ... or he could be another Zeke ... only the Shadow knows at this stage.

22 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Now its apples and oranges ... LOL.

Agree with you on this ... that is why I think Carrier makes 53 and Paul gets pink slip.

Perine could be meh ... or he could be another Zeke ... only the Shadow knows at this stage.

I don't think Perine will be "meh", but he's not going to be Zeke either. He's not as fast nor as elusive. He's a different kind of back. And yes, I get what you're saying, he could be really average or really good. And we really have no way of knowing at this point. But I have a feeling about him. And it's a good one.

I think I agree with you about Paul as well. I say "think" because it's what I would do, but I don't know if the coaches will.

1 hour ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

**** Zeke. Looks like an ewok.

1600 yards would be nice though

Totally agree with lookalike.  I'l take 1400 yds. and 12 Tds for Samajae ... If Kirk throws another 40 ... we should make paloffs!

Just wishin ...

I just watched the cut-up video of his record day against Kansas and one thing jumped out at me above all else. Keep in mind this was an NCAA record setting day for this young man. He had HUGE runs, he ran over people and through arm tackles... But not once did he showboat, start jawing, dancing or try to show anyone up. He got up, immediately looked for a ref, threw the ball to him and ran back to the huddle. That attitude alone should garner him a lot of support and fans.

Archived