Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma

TSO

I actually think this kid might be the best player from this class. He looks like a natural. I get an Alfred Morris vibe from him(not in terms of style of play, but rookie impact). He's got power, quickness, and better speed than people give him credit for.

I really like this pick. I actually really like all the picks we made up to this one. Obviously it's way to early to  grade them, but overall I think we did a really good job.

Except for the lack of NT. Which, of course, someone is going to pay for.

nuclear-bomb-explosion.jpg

I love the highlights - really looking forward to seeing him play. 

At the combine, the dude benched 30 reps. The nearest RB to him benched 24 reps. The record for the position is 32 reps. Only 2 half-backs in history have benched more than Perine (Jerick Mckinnon, Anthony Sherman). 

There were only 4 Offensive Linemen in the 2017 combine who benched more than him - the kid is an absolute monster. 

Don't know much about this guy but looking at his highlight films, one thing that stands out in comparison to guys like Cook and Mixon...is that Perine's videos show him breaking a ton of tackles instead of simply running to wide open holes. Also, at his weight, for him to out run players means the guy is really fast "for his size".

This cat ran for 427 freaking yards in a game to set the record...think about that!  He also set his school's rushing record surpassing the greats that matriculated from there.  He will be the steal of the 4th round and I'm glad he's on our team.

Hail Em Up!

51 minutes ago, arftech said:

This cat ran for 427 freaking yards in a game to set the record...think about that!  He also set his school's rushing record surpassing the greats that matriculated from there.  He will be the steal of the 4th round and I'm glad he's on our team.

Hail Em Up!

Hes like Ron Dayne!!

I dont know how to spell it. Cat who played for the giants years ago.

I have a hard time grading Oklahoma.  I watched them run rough shod over my mountaineers multiple seasons in a row, and similar efforts on other teams.  Is he as talented as Mixon?  No, but he was stil pretty darn effective in that scheme.  Question is how will he fit in our scheme?

Some things have been overstated about the guy. He's no Leonard Fournette. But Fournette was a top 5 pick and incredibly violent running back. Perine is a 4th round pick and honestly not nearly as violent nor does he have the speed Fournette has. But, he's a very strong, has soft hands, is hard working and is apparently a very humble, high quality person. Seems to block reasonably well, and can definately be a 25+ carry guy. I don't think think he has the change of direction that Fat Rob does. Rob has a pretty nifty jump cut Perine does not seem to have. But there is a place for Fat Rob too.

I didn't see much where he had to make a quick change of direction in the backfield when there was penetration in the backfield, something out back had to deal with far too often, so we'll see if that is something he will be able to handle. Otherwise, I really like the kid, high quality person that is going to be very hard to bring down. That starts to mean more and more when you get into the later months, like say, that game in Philly in December when it's cold as hell and the passing game is struggling. You have a guy or 2 that can just beat people up for 60 minutes and rip their will and heart out of their chest in the 2nd half on a icy field, you young kids will begin to understand that this ain't Madden. It's taking a entire team and breaking them physically.

This guy can do that. And when you have to go on the road, in bad weather conditions, it's not going to be the 5000 yards you threw for in the regular season (ask Dan Fouts about that that in Cincy) it's how physical you are on both sides of the ball that wins you games

3 minutes ago, Veretax said:

I have a hard time grading Oklahoma.  I watched them run rough shod over my mountaineers multiple seasons in a row, and similar efforts on other teams.  Is he as talented as Mixon?  No, but he was stil pretty darn effective in that scheme.  Question is how will he fit in our scheme?

He'll be fine, I fact, I think the scheme he was in was not really condusive to his running style. I think he'd be better in a pro style offense.

7 hours ago, arftech said:

Hail Em Up!

He supassed  Billy Simms rushing record. And for those of you not old enough to have watched him. He was one of the best college running backs that ever lived. Pro career was cut way too short with a devestating knee injury, but he was a sight to behold. So, the fact that guys like Joe Mixon, Adrian Peterson Marcuss Dupree and DeMarco Murry didn't break it says volumes.

8 hours ago, dyst said:

Don't know much about this guy but looking at his highlight films, one thing that stands out in comparison to guys like Cook and Mixon...is that Perine's videos show him breaking a ton of tackles instead of simply running to wide open holes. Also, at his weight, for him to out run players means the guy is really fast "for his size".

This and I am very impressed with his balance and ability to keep his feet while/after being hit. That ability to stay upright turns 3yd runs into 10yd runs and a first down.

22 hours ago, mistertim said:

The only thing that worries me is that he had some HUGE holes to run through at Oklahoma. If you watch that record setting games he might as well have gotten in a truck and driven it into the end zone the holes were so big. He will truck people but he has to be able to get a bit of steam before he can do it and that will be tough if our OL can't open holes at all.

Yeah, I could have gotten 200 yards with those holes back, in the day. But there is plenty of tape where he has to make something out of a lot less. But I share some concerns. Fat Rob was able to avoid guys in the backfield and instead of a 2 yard loss, get a 2-3 yard gain. I don't know if Perine has the quickness to make guys miss in the backfield that Kelley has.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

that game in Philly in December when it's cold as hell and the passing game is struggling. You have a guy or 2 that can just beat people up for 60 minutes and rip their will and heart out of their chest in the 2nd half on a icy field, you young kids will begin to understand that this ain't Madden. It's taking a entire team and breaking them physically.

Deserved a replay, he gets it

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We just grabbed like 8 really tall pass catchers.

Yeah, but now, they have to defend the fade to 4 guys that are 6'2 and over AND a 230 pound guy that bench presses Jupiter. Makes it tough on a defense. ;)

Archived