Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Ezekiel Elliott

DM72

41 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I suppose it's better than it being his 2nd or 3rd game back where he feels back in the groove of things?

True. Plus for all we know, our defense will be a real strength by our week 8 game. Tough to tell right now that his first game back against us he'd run all over us. 

On 8/12/2017 at 8:09 AM, ixcuincle said:

Screamin A Smith sure lives up to his name, eh?  He's going to look really silly when the photos are leaked (cuz you know they will be).  He who talks loudest is often not right and afraid to admit it.

so with all this elliot hubbub, sex tapes, text exchanges, and everything else, has the guy come out and flat out said I DID NOTHING, I'M INNOCENT OF EVER LAYING A FINGER ON HER, etc etc?

I don't recall ever seeing that, doesn't mean it's not out there but In all the stories I've seen regarding it I don't recall reading it. Even his statement regarding the nfl's decision seems pretty suspect for someone who is "innocent".

The statements by the nflpa and others also try to attack her credibility, which is fine, since she has none IMO, but the refusal to emphatically deny that anything happened is odd to me.

If it were me, I'd be screaming from the rooftops at every opportunity to let everyone in no uncertain terms that I was innocent.

The arbiter selected most recent dealings with a cowboys player saw Greg Harry's suspension reduced from 10-4 games ... 

why do do I get the feeling this is going to back fire into us sinehow and the appeal will not only see eliots ban lifted but the Redskins will have 1 million draft picks taken off them ... for ****s and giggles 

3 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

so with all this elliot hubbub, sex tapes, text exchanges, and everything else, has the guy come out and flat out said I DID NOTHING, I'M INNOCENT OF EVER LAYING A FINGER ON HER, etc etc?

I don't recall ever seeing that, doesn't mean it's not out there but In all the stories I've seen regarding it I don't recall reading it. Even his statement regarding the nfl's decision seems pretty suspect for someone who is "innocent".

The statements by the nflpa and others also try to attack her credibility, which is fine, since she has none IMO, but the refusal to emphatically deny that anything happened is odd to me.

If it were me, I'd be screaming from the rooftops at every opportunity to let everyone in no uncertain terms that I was innocent.

truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. You can see hes not a role model, just by everything that's out there recently on this guy. Typical everyday douchebag, looking out for himself instead of ascending to the hero his God-given talent wants him to be.

The ex-gf sort of sounds like a piece of work too, but that doesn't necessarily mean it didn't happen.

For example, the abuse could have happened, and she initially agreed to keep it quiet, then he breaks up with her and she flips out on him and decides to come forward out of spite.  

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

For example, the abuse could have happened, and she initially agreed to keep it quiet, then he breaks up with her and she flips out on him and decides to come forward out of spite.  

My totally speculative and uninformed opinion on the matter of which I probably should hold back on giving since the info available can be interpreted in numerous ways is this: 

He did get physical with her, she let it go originally, then at some point decided to cash in on it but knowing she'd need new evidence, she set him up. 

That's where I'm at right now on this though I'm 83.67% (with 3% margin of error) sure I'm way off. 

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:15 AM, Rex Tomb said:

Screamin A Smith sure lives up to his name, eh?  He's going to look really silly when the photos are leaked (cuz you know they will be).  He who talks loudest is often not right and afraid to admit it.

I have no idea if Elliott is guilty or not. He has certainly made several stupid decisions. If he did it, he needs to be dealt with. But in the end, I just do not know enough about this to say definitively.

But either way, S Smith - while mostly a mouth with nothing much to add - has one part of this right. Roger Goodell has complete autonomy and that's the player fault. The players association gave up too much in the last CBA. So while they can whine all they want but they signed the agreement. They need to learn from this and put in a few of the following in the next CBA:

1. Set reasonable time lines for investigations. These things take way too long.

2. There has to be access to an independent arbitrator. As it is they have to appeal to the very person who determined guilt and set the punishment.

3. There has to be better definition around, "Conduct detrimental to the league." It's entirely too vague and aids in Goodell's latitude.

4. Set standard punishment ranges that do not leave so much up to Goodell's discretion.

This is in no way to defend Elliott. He is an accident waiting to happen and at this rate will be out of the league in less than 3 total years in the NFL, which BTW, nothing would make me happier. But that does not mean that Goodell does not have too much latitude leading to decisions all over the place. It's a problem that seems to get worse each year.

If Zeke appeals, I hope the NFL releases the information they believe that warrants the suspension.

If they just wanted to look good, and there is no evidence at all of wrong doing, my question is, why did they wait so long to try to look good, when by announcing this when they did in the meat of camp / reporting, which drudges it all up again?  If they found no wrong doing yet still wanted to look tough, they could have announced 2 - 4 games in March and be done with it.

I remember whispers late last season about a possible suspension sending fantasy owners scrambling to Morris.

Maybe it was just the disturbing images of excessive bruising that set the NFL off, but waiting as long as they did to act seems odd. Maybe they wanted it to look like they did a full investigation, but something's not right here. 6 games is awful steep for someone that is 100% innocent. Maybe he is paying for previous Dallas indiscretions, including Jerry's illegal use of hands. The policies towards players should also apply to owners.

On 8/13/2017 at 8:02 AM, Rex Tomb said:

Now we'll really get to see how good Dak is in the first six weeks without Elliott in the backfield. It will be interesting no doubt.

Will not surprise me at all to see the Cowboys start the season 1-5 or 2-6. Here's some free fantasy advise. Of all the starting WR's in the league the guy with the hardest schedule in 2017 is Dez Bryant. Who is gonna run that offense with Dez and Zeke sacked? The ancient Jason Witten? T-Will? McFatty? Almo? Look Dallas has no defense, and offensively will suck this year. Couldn't happen to a better team

On 8/17/2017 at 1:39 AM, goskins10 said:

They need to learn from this and put in a few of the following in the next CBA:

1. Set reasonable time lines for investigations. These things take way too long.

2. There has to be access to an independent arbitrator. As it is they have to appeal to the very person who determined guilt and set the punishment.

3. There has to be better definition around, "Conduct detrimental to the league." It's entirely too vague and aids in Goodell's latitude.

4. Set standard punishment ranges that do not leave so much up to Goodell's discretion.

You've hit the nail on the head!  These points also apply to other cases we've seen in the past few years.

My thoughts:

1 - Setting reasonable timelines for investigations is difficult. It's not one size fits all. Also, it takes time to gather all the facts and verify them through interviews and research - more time than people expect. To address the perception that they take way too long, it would be a good idea for the parties to meet and agree to a deadline for conclusion. Then there should be periodic status updates and in the event there is a delay, a justification from the investigator to the league and player's team would have to be provided. 

2 - 100% agreed. There should also be requirements for the role, so we don't end up with Ray Lewis hearing Ray Rice's appeal.

3 - Yes!

4 - Criminal courts do this. Why can't the NFL? And should the Commissioner be the sentencing person, or someone else?

Also, the rule book requires review and, in some cases, a major re-write. Not only are some of the definitions lacking, but the consequences are often vague. For example, read this:

Rule 2 The Ball Section 1 BALL DIMENSIONS

The Ball must be a “Wilson,” hand selected, bearing the signature of the Commissioner of the League, Roger Goodell.

The ball shall be made up of an inflated (12 1/2 to 13 1/2 pounds) urethane bladder enclosed in a pebble grained, leather case (natural tan color) without corrugations of any kind. It shall have the form of a prolate spheroid and the size and weight shall be: long axis, 11 to 11 1/4 inches; long circumference, 28 to 28 1/2 inches; short circumference, 21 to 21 1/4 inches; weight, 14 to 15 ounces.

The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications.

A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.

In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted, the Referee shall secure a proper ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball. Any such circumstances must be reported to the Commissioner.

Now tell me, is an investigation required if the supply of compliant game balls from the home team is exhausted? What are the requirements for accuracy of the instruments used to measure psi and weight? How does the referee document whether the game balls comply with specifications? What is the ref required to do if the game balls do not meet specification?

Put in light of the Deflategate investigation, all the questions in the preceding paragraph matter. For example, game balls that were suspected of being non-compliant were used even after that suspicion was raised. If there were language telling the referee what to do at that point, then there probably wouldn't be an investigation at all. There are lots of other examples in the rule book where sloppy language leaves gray areas that can be used "creatively" by an investigator with an axe to grind, or a Goodell to please.

Ugh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • /1 If restraining order is affirmed, Elliot plays. Henderson rules it upheld --> court blocks suspension due to restraining order.

1 reply0 retweets1 like

Retweet

Report: NFL investigator recommended no suspension for Ezekiel Elliott

NFL investigator Kia Roberts recommended no suspension for Ezekiel Elliott, according to Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Roberts testified to that during an appeal hearing that lasted 25 hours over three days this week.

Hill also reports Roberts’ recommendation — following her interviews with Elliott’s ex-girlfriend — never made it into the NFL’s final report or the official Aug. 11 suspension letter. The league cited findings of three instances of domestic violence by Elliott against Tiffany Thompson based on the victim’s testimony and photographic evidence.

In addition, Roberts did not attend the meeting with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to discuss discipline for Elliott, per Hill, as she was barred from it by Lisa Friel, the senior vice president for investigations

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/31/report-nfl-lead-investigator-recommended-no-suspension-for-ezekiel-elliott/

------

Just so I understand. The only person whom the NFL sent to interview the "victim" and investigate the claims, didn't believe her, didn't think she was credible, and found numerous inconsistencies with her own statements.

The NFL then decided to ignore their own investigator and slap a 6 game suspension on the player, one supposes, because of what they discovered in their investigation.

Holy Hell.

This is a bigger debacle than deflategate.

The NFLPA is going to flatten Goodell in court over this ruling.

Archived