Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Discussion: FAN Free Agency - At the Crossroads

RemoveSnyder

I can't root against them.

but, if they finalize the total implosion and Cousins is under center in SF either this or next year.....after all that I just don't know what I'd be rooting FOR.

They're either not trying, or they have learned nothing in 18 years since Dan bought the team.

If they've learned nothing, it feels hopeless.

If they aren't trying to win, then it's just about cash, and **** that.

~Bang

1 hour ago, Fight for ole DC said:

No way. Count me out. Fair weather fans never experience true joy when Riggins breaks a key 4th down for a winning score, or Williams sets SB passing records, or laughing when Rypien explodes in an awkward TD celebration. Moments like these are memorable because I stick with my team even through bad times. I'm always hopeful for my team and find a way to believe we can win every week. Gotta take the good with the bad to experience the best of times.

I get it that some may be to young to remember the good times. Believe me they are well worth the wait.

HTTR

lol  fair weather for over 50 years. I remember those days quite well.

It's not about impatience.. it's about truly, what is there left to root for? Incompetence?

There is no good to offset the bad. Every slight step forward is countered with nine gigantic jumps backward...  many of which are self inflicted.

this isn't about hard luck, not this time.. this is about them completely bungling things that are ridiculously obvious to the success of any franchise, let alone this starving one.

the more pathetic it gets, the more it just stinks of too much business concern and not enough football concern.

~Bang

I go back a long way - when the Washington Senators moved to Texas - it killed my passion for MLB.  Yes, I still watch games on occasion, but I really don't have a rooting interest for MLB.

This latest round of "dysfunction" at the Redskins has done what I thought was impossible - it's killing my passion for the Skins.  To be honest, I was ready to check out at the end of the 2014 season (Bruce Allen's press conference did it), but the hiring of Scot McClo convinced me to hang in there AND the progress made over the past two seasons had given me huge encouragement that the Skins had turned the corner.  

However, since the season has ended - the actions of the Skins front office has me on the brink of walking away - we will see what information finally surfaces, but right now the tea leaves are telling me that we are a never ending cluster.   If so, there are two chances that I will ever root for another team - SLIM & NONE!  Just like MLB, I will just find other things to do during the NFL season.

Fan since 1969 and I am ready to check out.

I'm just gearing up for the train wreck. Being a 'Skins fan is like my eye color.  I couldn't change it even if I had the desire to. 

I do have a second team I CASUALLY follow, the Saints.  Because my wife is a Saints fan, we got married in New Orleans, and I've been to several games at the Super Dome, which is a great experience.  I wouldn't even remotely call myself a fan of theirs, but it's good when they're good when the 'Skins are bad because at least I have some rooting interest in football. 

Every other team has a 'eh, yeah I can't care about them because..."  The Packers probably have the least.  Good organization, publicly owned, consistent winner, etc.  But I developed a pretty large dislike of them when Favre was playing (who I could never stand, and I hated the way he played). It's still a bitter taste in my mouth.  They're probably fine now, but I still can't get over it.

I have rooted for the Broncos through the years because I loved the way Elway played (except when they were playing the 'Skins.)  I also loved way Peyton played, so I rooted for the Colts while he was there.  Once he left, I care very little about either team. 

I had a soft spot for the Chargers on and off, but they fired Marty for Norv, and that ended that. 

Miami might have the most arrogant fan base for not having won diddly squat since the 70's.  I wish I could root for Buffalo, because, why not?  But they've made it really hard to care about them for 25 years. 

The Steelers have the most obnoxious fan base, great organization.  Though, in fairness, they actually have a right to be obnoxious, unlike Dolphin fans. 

I respected the hell out of the 49ers in the 80's and 90's. 

Shrug. 

19 minutes ago, jjpomeroy said:

I go back a long way - when the Washington Senators moved to Texas - it killed my passion for MLB.  Yes, I still watch games on occasion, but I really don't have a rooting interest for MLB.

This latest round of "dysfunction" at the Redskins has done what I thought was impossible - it's killing my passion for the Skins.  To be honest, I was ready to check out at the end of the 2014 season (Bruce Allen's press conference did it), but the hiring of Scot McClo convinced me to hang in there AND the progress made over the past two seasons had given me huge encouragement that the Skins had turned the corner.  

However, since the season has ended - the actions of the Skins front office has me on the brink of walking away - we will see what information finally surfaces, but right now the tea leaves are telling me that we are a never ending cluster.   If so, there are two chances that I will ever root for another team - SLIM & NONE!  Just like MLB, I will just find other things to do during the NFL season.

I started about the same time for the same reason. The Senators leaving was devastating. But I just could never move on from the Redskins. But that's just me. I totally get your reasoning and can't argue with it.

It get's tiresome that you keep telling yourself things are getting better and try to see a light at the end of the tunnel and it's really just an oncoming train.

I think what makes this whole situation worse is seeing the success of the other teams in the area. The Caps are one of the best teams in the NHL and look to be on their way to another President's Trophy. The Wizards have been one of the best teams in the NBA over the last few months and are having their best season in a long time. The Nats are stocked and looked to make another playoff appearance this year. Hell, even the Orioles (I'm a lifelong fan) after 14 straight losing seasons, have posted 5 straight seasons at or above .500 and have 3 playoff appearances the last 5 seasons. Every other team around here seems to be building towards something, except the Skins. It seemed like they were the last 2 seasons and the taste of success scared them and now here we are.

I'd never root for another like I rooted for the Skins.

All that happens is my passion for the team (and pro football in general) just continues to ebb away.

I'm not the fan I was 10 years ago and 10 years ago I wasn't the fan I was 15 years prior to that.

Not sure if it's age or the Redskins getting Snydered over and over.

I would never leave the team. I might just have to learn not to care has much has I do. I havent missed a game in over 15 years. I set up my fall life around the skins. I am planning a vacation in Nov, I made sure the plan was to be back by saturday just incase Skins arent on a bye week or have a primtime game that week. My basement has a hand painted Redskins helmet above the fire place. I was brought home from the hospital in a redskins jersey. This team is in my blood. But I dont think I have been this down about the team every. This is worse than the Jim Zorn, Vinny time for me.

After the Shanahan fiasco in 2013 I don't think I watched any Redskins games the following year.  I had a minor interest in Cleveland because I wanted to see how good the younger Shanahan was.  I slowly came back to the Redskins when Cousins started making waves.  I actually thought he was looking a little like Tom Brady.  I was more interested in the growth of Cousins than I was the team because I saw too many other flaws and didn't want to get my hopes up.  Last year my team was the Patriots because I wanted to see Brady stick it to Goodell for the stupid Deflategate which one former player compared it to going 60 mph in a 55 mph speed zone and getting a death sentence.  I have a curiosity/interest in Kyle Shanahan and Kirk Cousins so if Cousins ends up there then I am inclined to make that my team to follow.  Living in this area where I can almost see Redskins Park from my office, there appears to be more fans of other teams like the Steelers, Ravens, Dallas, and Patriots than Redskins around here.  During the Super Bowl party I went to I saw Patriot, Panthers, Steelers and Dallas jerseys.  No Redskins jerseys at all.  I have a long history with this team beginning in 1970 with George Allen and his Ramskins...to being at Bobby Beathard's house on Fox Mill Road 2 months after he was hired...to watching Bobby Beathard, Dick Daniels and Calvin Hill jogging every morning on South Lakes Drive....to having a daughter who babysat Darrell Green's kids....to sitting 3 feet away from Dan Snyder at Joe Gibbs welcome back dinner at the Marriot in Tysons.  It takes alot to break a diehard fan and Snyder has succeeded.

1 hour ago, jjpomeroy said:

Seems like we could start our own club.

Cheers, fellow old man ;)

~Bang

The Las Vegas Raiders, no doubt about it.

Unfortunately, I could never love them like I do this abusive franchise.  The highs would never be as high, but more importantly - the lows could never be this low....and before anyone brings up their dysfunctional days, my point is that because I'm not attached to them like I am this team, it wouldn't hurt as bad if they went back to their old ways like we have.

I am a Redskins fan and not a football fan.  I use to be an Atlanta Braves fan until they traded away their best players a few years ago.  I have not paid attention to baseball since.

This FA period will determine if I remain a Redskins fan.  So far the offseason and FA has been a disaster.  Honestly, I'm expecting things to get worse so I have one foot out the door already, but maybe the FO will surprise me.

19 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

Apologize for the double post.

Bruce Allen would like a word with you and your obvious disregard for how things are done around here. 

The man don't play with scofflaws.

~Bang

Oh come on you all.  As we know it is all about the “off season”.   Bruce has masterly crafted one of the best off seasons of any team for over ½ century.  And here is some more good news.  He has masterly crafted good off seasons for years to come as we should have the number 1 pick in the draft for the next decade.

The ONLY way I stop becoming a Skins fan is if something like "The Baltimore SItuation" happened. Little Danny rolls out in the night with some U-hauls and my football team. DC gets a brand new expansion team. Then I will root for that team. But until that nightmare happens. I do and always will bleed burgundy and gold.

I've had a second team since the Mid-90's. I am from Massachusetts and live in Connecticut.

I began following the Patriots when Bob Kraft rescued them from what appeared to be an imminent move to St. Louis 20-some years ago (i.e. before Brady). I originally started liking the Redskins because of their colors when I was 5 or 6 years old and I will root for them when the two happen to play every three years, There is something about the Redskins I just can't quit, but at the end of the day, being a fan is supposed to be an enjoyable experience,At this point in my life, I don't see the benefit is spending even one day a week being completely miserable.

I'll be honest, there's a small part of me that wishes Snyder would give in and change the name so I could finally ditch the team altogether.  I follow the Packers - I hate Favre and really really want Rodgers to win another SB to cement his place above Favre on the team pantheon. If Romo goes to Denver I will be rooting for the Broncos big time as a way of saying Eff you Jerrah - take that Mr "I want some glory hole."

3 hours ago, Fight for ole DC said:

No way. Count me out. Fair weather fans never experience true joy when Riggins breaks a key 4th down for a winning score, or Williams sets SB passing records, or laughing when Rypien explodes in an awkward TD celebration. Moments like these are memorable because I stick with my team even through bad times. I'm always hopeful for my team and find a way to believe we can win every week. Gotta take the good with the bad to experience the best of times.

I get it that some may be to young to remember the good times. Believe me they are well worth the wait.

HTTR

I guess, fundamentally, I feel like I need to respect the people who are running the franchise that I am willingly giving my fanhood to.

As one of our more prominent posters wrote not that long ago, the process is just as important if not more important than the end results.

If the process is sound then the results will eventually come. That doesn't mean success is always guaranteed even if the process is correct. But you can live with the defeats if you fundamentally believe the process is rooted by doing things the right way. 

I can give and give, but some things aren't for sale.

Money?  - Eh, that's ultimately my choice. I don't have to give any of it if I don't want to.

Time?     - Again, my choice. I can give as little or as much as I want.

Loyalty?  - That's an intangible which I think requires respect and trust. 

On some level I need assurance that the people running things are at least decent people. I need to be able to respect them because they in turn respect me and all other fans and the institution of the game. 

If I feel like the guys running things just aren't trustworthy, if I think their processes are flawed, I can't keep giving them my Chi. 

See you at the crossroads. 

Archived