Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Discussion: FAN Free Agency - At the Crossroads

RemoveSnyder

I found myself searching for life expectancy and Dan Snyder's age and realizing that at the very least we have 26 years left of his ownership. I hate Snyder so much at this point, hell he'll find a way to charge for parking for the March on Ashburn. I've been a fan for 31 years, and since High School the best memories I have of this team are the 1999 season that ended in the most Norvesque way possible and a couple of good runs since then, none of which I would add have gotten past the divisional round of the playoffs. 

The really frustrating thing about this franchise is that the last two seasons at least had some glimmer of competence, like they had finally turned the corner from smearing their own **** on the walls to maybe just maybe being competent, to being like some of the other franchises in the NFL and not looking at the Jets as their competition for biggest dumpster fire in the NFL. Yet it seems that was too much for them. They're the definition of a ****head, the person that sees a pile of **** on the sidewalk and still steps in it every time, every damn time. 

I live in Broncos country now and I see the Broncos being oddly competent, learning from mistakes and with a fan base that isn't completely miserable. Hell I'm just growing tired of this organization, of them pissing in my corn flakes and telling me it's milk. I've become so frustrated as a fan, that I can't remember the last true high from this organization, but I can remember all the stumble and bumble****ing around that happens year in and year out

43 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Eh, I've been a fan for too many years. If I became a free agent and my team lowballed me, I'd probably retire from the NFL and go fishing.

I had no idea your were still in the league, my man. 

I'd give ya Vet min + incentives. :)

48 minutes ago, just654 said:

@Bang i think it might be time for one of your cartoons, that always gave me a laugh in the darker times.

So many of them are drenched in my tears...    you must be a sadist!

If i had time, i'd love nothing better...   this weekend we will possibly record a new podcast, and this will be a huge topic.

I've actually written up a script to start the show with me on a high ledge threatening to jump.

~Bang

I think I've still got a while...but i have postulated this question to myself several times.

I live in LA, & i grew into liking the Rams as a defacto 2nd team.  Now that they're back, i thought..."you know, if we get forced into changing our name/logo...I'd be done.  If that were to happen, i would just support my local team. Right?"

Not so fast.  I used to like Kroenke....that's turning around of late.  I am not a big fan of the team Fisher built.  I don't like the attitudes, or a lot of their players.  About the only players i do like are Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn, & Todd Gurley.  I've even already had a few negative run-ins with players (**** Trumaine Johnson), & this team is really rubbing me the wrong way.  Our budding mini-rivalry certainly contributes to that animosity......alas...the Rams may be closer to rearview material at this point.

So the Charg......er...**** no.  I've been disgusted by that loathesome franchise for so long, i want nothing to do with them.  Didn't want them in LA either.  **** em....bunch of powder blue ****es.

So who then?

For me...the native imagery, & moniker were my biggest draws to this team, so i imagine the Chiefs....a near equally moribund franchise that seems allergic to winning playoff games would be the natural pick.  Also 2 of my friends who were once Redskins fans became Chiefs fans many years ago, & go to 2-3 games a year.  So there's that...

But i also have a thing for nostalgia, & the original 6.  I had a lot of friends growing up in LA who were transplants from Chicago, & i also have a fondness for da Bears.  Now...that franchise is also pretty tattered, & torn right now though...so...what's the difference.

& on it goes...

The thing of it really for me is that when I've invested as much as i have for this team...it will be nearly impossible to watch highlights, or games with the team, & to root against them...

I'm often like a jilted lover in these instances...incapable of setting eyes on my former obsession without completely breaking down in some way.  This would undoubtedly hold true with the Redskins.

So it comes that i would probably just give up football....there really are a million other things i could do with all the ridiculous amounts of time i would no longer spend on football.  

Besides...Zelda: Breath of the Wild won't play itself.

3 minutes ago, Bang said:

So many of them are drenched in my tears...    you must be a sadist!

If i had time, i'd love nothing better...   this weekend we will possibly record a new podcast, and this will be a huge topic.

I've actually written up a script to start the show with me on a high ledge threatening to jump.

~Bang

I think my favorite was the fire squad one or the racing around Fedex taking signs from fans 

2 hours ago, scruffylookin said:

Not sure if it's age or the Redskins getting Snydered over and over.

Is there a way to have the autocorrect for a certain bad f word be Snyder?

I'll probably get Snydered over for suggesting it. Besides, whoever does admin on the board would probably Snyder that up! Hey Snyderface - what's you're problem? You're a Snydering idiot.

I'll remain a fan but I probably won't care much after September- once our season has it's usual end.

Maybe one day thins will turn around. I mean the Raiders looks like they finally have a winning team again and could be contending for a Superbowl soon. If they can eventually do it, why can't we?

Only the Browns, maybe worse than us.

I mean... Be real.

How many of us could actually stop cheering for the Skins and actually cheer for another football team? 

I'll tell you what I'd do...

Casually follow the team. Don't go out of my way to watch. Don't research the team or the players and just kind of... you know... be casual as hell.

At some point, the fever would hit again, and when it did I'd be back. But until that time, I could save myself a heck of a lot of frustration from how this organization is run... Just simply not care.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I mean... Be real.

How many of us could actually stop cheering for the Skins and actually cheer for another football team? 

Casually follow the team. Don't go out of my way to watch. Don't research the team or the players and just kind of... you know... be casual as hell.

At some point, the fever would hit again, and when it did I'd be back. But until that time, I could save myself a heck of a lot of frustration from how this organization is run... Just simply not care.

I'd stop watching the NFL altogether if it came down to this.  

7 hours ago, brandymac27 said:

I'm not going anywhere. Despite the screw ups, I love this team too much. Plus, I'm only 40, so I figure I have at least a good 40 years left to hope and pray we make it to another SB. 

You know who I love? Joe Gibbs. And that's because I can respect the man. I respect who he is, and the way he conducts himself.

I don't know if you've done this before, not sure if you've ever thought about it, but watching football without any emotional attachment to either team is actually ... refreshing. You know?

Like, I watch college football and have no attachment to the school, just watch the players. Boy, feels so good at the end. 

And truth be told ... shhh, I have before, a few times, removed emotion from the equation concerning the Redskins. I actually was indifferent prior to Gibbs returning. But I got hooked right in the heart when Gibbs came back. I had also gotten to the point of indifference, actually started following another team ... actually started writing on another team's board(!), before McC was hired. 

Tells you what McC did to me when he came on board if I'm referencing Gibbs. 

Far too long I've used, as well as read, the constraints of: "I was born into it," "it's my regional team," or "I've already come this far." 

They seem shallow now more than ever to me. Even if I admit I used them before. Those excuses have been used a million times over. 

I can still find enjoyment by putting on an old VHS of the 1991 video yearbook and bask in the glory of NFL Films finest editing, bask in the glory of Gibbs. But, truth be told, I'm hiding from the reality of what the Redskins are today. It's not just nostalgia hunting to watch that old VHS. It's not being the keeper of some sacred flame hoping for the return of the messiah. It's denial. It's cowering in the hovel of a post-apocalyptic wasteland watching archivist films of a bygone society. 

Wow, too heavy, Doc.

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

I mean... Be real.

That's what I did. When the team was god awful like 2014, stopped paying attention. But they will always be my team.

I'd never drop the Redskins as my team, but I'm dropping the NFL as a sports league.  Last year I took a break from this team, and from the NFL altogether.  I watched the Super Bowl and bits and pieces of other games if I happened to catch them, but I stopped planning my Sundays around the NFL.  Partly it was fatigue with this team, and partly it was fatigue with the entire NFL - the arbitrary punishments by Goodell, the league's push to be in the spotlight 24/7, the greed of the owners (moving teams and trying to fleece the public on stadium deals), the disregard for the health of the players, the treatment of the fans just as wallets to be emptied, and on and on and on. 

Honestly, I found the whole experience liberating.  I got 20+ Sundays back to do as I please, and I hardly missed the NFL at all.  I got outside more, spent more time with my family, and saved money I might've otherwise spent on this team and this league.  I'm definitely doing the same thing this year.  Sure, I'll still check scores and such and will maybe watch the Super Bowl, but I'm about done with this league.  I don't ever see myself returning to being the hardcore fan I once was, and that doesn't particularly bother me anymore.  I'd encourage you all to consider taking a step back also.  This league needs to be reminded that it was made by the fans and can be unmade by the fans just as quickly. 

Archived