Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Discussion: FAN Free Agency - At the Crossroads

RemoveSnyder

If you as a fan suddenly became a free agent, your contract has expired, you got a lowball offer from the home team, where you could take your talents and fanhood wherever you chose, which NFL team would you follow and why? 

This isn't some self ingratiating jerk off thread, thinly veiled just to attack the Redskins (but that does feel good now that you mention it), or to grandstand divorce proceedings I plan to undertake. It's a real topic I'd like some feedback on concerning a real motivation I have. The actual choosing of another team to follow instead of the Redskins.

31 flavors. 

Or maybe just play the field.

What kind of determinations would you have to go through?

Front Office character? The GM? The Quarterback? Bandwagon the successful teams? 

See you at the crossroads. 

Front office structure is probably the ultimate criterion I'd look at. 

Someone in another thread mentioned ... (in the hypothetical or course), they'd likely want a team with a good QB but not too much success so that it wasn't too bandwagony. But the temptation of good QB is clearly something hard to resist. 

One might have to consider history and tradition. A foundational team for example. 

I believe there was a relatively nationwide article written right after the SuperBowl promoting the notion of bandwagoning. Maybe someone can post it in here. 

8 minutes ago, FrFan said:

The franchise that will allow me to contribute to get this knuckles sandwich

Hey, welcome fellow NFL fan. So, to engage, could you detail:

Contribute in what way? 

Just money? Time? Your sanity? Or perhaps simply the fact that no one in the Redskins Front Office knows who you are, or even cares?

21 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Hey, welcome fellow NFL fan. So, to engage, could you detail:

Contribute in what way? 

Just money? Time? Your sanity? Or perhaps simply the fact that no one in the Redskins Front Office knows who you are, or even cares?

I believe being wanted by a team would give me a stronger motivation/will. I will look for a stable franchise (FO, HC) which is taking good care of most of its core players, something like a family. I would sacrifice money anytime to get the rings. I could throw a few names such as Acorsi, Madden, Bill Polian eventhough he got only one ring.

Last but not least the D, because defenses win championships ;)

1 minute ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

London when they get next expansion team. Which they will. Rightly or wrongly. The green will dictate. 

Cheaper travelling fees. 

Hail. 

Hey now, I've been giving that some thought. Team names and such. 

I had no idea that were a ****ton of foxes running around London. They were in my neighborhood just adjacent to Brompton Cemetery. Lovely stroll through Brompton cemetery, even met some honest to goodness Pensioners there one day. 

So, I know many have floated the name Monarchs for the franchise, but I think Foxes at least deserves some consideration. Ha, maybe even Werewolves. The Werewolves of London. 

Had a fabulous time in London, but unless I win the powerball lottery, I'd have a tough time relocating to London.

I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's
Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mein

If you hear him howling around your kitchen door
Better not let him in
Little old lady got mutilated late last night
Werewolves of London again

He's the hairy-handed gent who ran amuck in Kent
Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair
Better stay away from him
He'll rip your lungs out, Jim
I'd like to meet his tailor

Well, I saw Lon Chaney walking with the Queen
Doing the Werewolves of London
I saw Lon Chaney, Jr. walking with the Queen
Doing the Werewolves of London
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
And his hair was perfect

A shortlist I compiled:

Packers 

Cardinals 

Chiefs 

Ravens 

Steelers 

Raiders 

For me, I think I'm leaning toward the Packers. Unknown.jpeg.0041330c765614df6d9f1d80aa4c54b3.jpeg @PokerPacker

First and foremost, I respect their front office. Former Redskins up near the top with Murphy.

Good GM. More than a few times they have ended up selecting players that I have selected in the amateur draftnik world and I'd probably get great satisfaction from that. I had that for a little bit here with McC.

But beyond that, even if the players selected were not necessarily the ones I'd go for, I would know that their method and processes are sound. That they were based in fundament football and therefore right, even if the end result is not always a success.

I would be comforted by that. 

Secondly, the Packers are one of the foundational teams of the NFL. They are a pillar. I have always wanted to go to a game at Lambeau. And an opportunity like this might accelerate that from bucket-list to actual occurrence. 

Third, the QB.

Can’t lie here, if you’re gonna pick a team as a free agent fan, you better pick one that has a franchise QB.

If for nothing but for the immediate. It won't last forever. At least you're set for the initial transition with a nice safety-net. 
A-A-Ron is great choice. 

Additionally, when I went to the away playoff game in seattle back during Gibbs, where I was basically verbally abused for 5 hours, a few thousand times, a Green Bay fan in attendance nearby was one of the few folks to provide comfort and support during consistent and unending insults and deriding.

Packer fans are universally known as being accepting, nice and pleasant. If you don't like Packer fans you're probably a felon. 

I said if they botch the Cousins situation, i couldn't see myself continuing to root for the team, and i still feel that way.

I doubt i could ever train myself to care about another team as much, and I don't think I could convince myself to actually want to..  so likely what will happen is i will just reverse my passion and hate this team.

~Bang

I'm not far from quitting being a fan of the NFL, but for the spirit of the thread, Vegas baby!

I haven't played Madden since probably around 05, but I always ended up moving the skins to Vegas and being the Fun Devils. Black and neon green, with a spider logo.

I've hated them for years, but it may be time to become a panthers fan. I live in NC, so group mentality. I also really like Jamies Winston as a player, exciting to watch, so I'd consider the Bucs. This is it though. The skins have the whole offseason to right the ship- and I'm watching them with a stinkeye right now. 

No way. Count me out. Fair weather fans never experience true joy when Riggins breaks a key 4th down for a winning score, or Williams sets SB passing records, or laughing when Rypien explodes in an awkward TD celebration. Moments like these are memorable because I stick with my team even through bad times. I'm always hopeful for my team and find a way to believe we can win every week. Gotta take the good with the bad to experience the best of times.

I get it that some may be to young to remember the good times. Believe me they are well worth the wait.

HTTR

I already took a 2nd team - the Cardinals. I like how they rebuilt and I like Arians. They have a tenacious D.

Will never replace the Redskins. But the time I spend on the NFL will get greatly reduced if some of things being reported are true. Like many here I started with this team when I was a kid. For me it's been 48 yrs. I just can't change teams. Even picking AZ as a 2nd team I never really had my heart in it.

If anything, I will just start rooting against other teams more - like hoping NE ends up a pile of crap once Brady leaves and that Philly continues to be kept away from a SB, and of course hating dallas - which ever gets old.

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Packer fans are universally known as being accepting, nice and pleasant. If you don't like Packer fans you're probably a felon Eagles fan.

I am not going anywhere. HTTR (no matter how angry little Caesar makes me)!

i11lpek9yxcctzxqaghr.jpgsnyder.png

BUT, here are the criteria for me:

• - The team has to have history; no newbie franchises with gaudy uniforms and lame mascots - there must be tradition and pride!
  • - The uniforms have to be cool, and for me that means no futuristic Starship Troopers ensembles, no color-changing helmets, no puce, powder blue, silver or lavender; the color combination must kick ass - burgundy/gold, black/gold, green/gold, red/white/blue, blue/gold, hell, even orange/brown; also the unis can't have dopey numbering - give me old-school numbers that don't slant or look like the display on a 1970s calculator!
  • - The players need to be team players - a minimum of "look-at-me" guys and as many bruisers as you can pile into the locker room. They should enjoy eating dirt and grunting
  • - The owner needs to be divorced from the football operation, only showing up to sign checks, do PR and get drunk in the owner's suite

Based on that, who would you recommend for me if the Redskins ceased to exist tomorrow?

:-)

Having lived in Denver for about 6 years, my dad living in Colorado, my wife being from Colorado, and already having a healthy dislike for the Raiders, I would probably go with the Broncos.  I already kind of cheer for them as an AFC team anyway.  Especially while they had Manning.  He was fun to watch up until the end.  Bonus - I can continue to tease my Colorado friends about Tim Tebow's availability while they struggle with finding a decent QB over the next couple of years.

29 minutes ago, Fight for ole DC said:

No way. Count me out. Fair weather fans never experience true joy when Riggins breaks a key 4th down for a winning score, or Williams sets SB passing records, or laughing when Rypien explodes in an awkward TD celebration. Moments like these are memorable because I stick with my team even through bad times. I'm always hopeful for my team and find a way to believe we can win every week. Gotta take the good with the bad to experience the best of times.

I get it that some may be to young to remember the good times. Believe me they are well worth the wait.

HTTR

What do you got to show for the last 25 years? I hate bandwagon fans, a symbol of what is wrong with America IMO, but this franchise truly tests one patience and I understand why threads like this start.

We don't let people treat us as poorly as the team we love. This latest debacle is going to lose some folks. I'm trying to cutdown the amount of time I spend posting, Tweet stalking, etc. because it is so demoralizing. We are an embarrassment once again, as some one else posted in another thread that two adults cannot have amicable separation. It plays out like some crap in House of Cards. I was down last night... but today I'll be hoping for some good FA news that turns it. I've thought about quitting, but I'm addicted, like you, because of the high the Skins use to give me.

36 minutes ago, Fight for ole DC said:

HTTR

And what if that wait is forever. Our owner isn't going anywhere for a looooong time. We are basically on par with the Browns right now but at least they have a plan.

2 hours ago, Bang said:

I said if they botch the Cousins situation, i couldn't see myself continuing to root for the team, and i still feel that way.

I doubt i could ever train myself to care about another team as much, and I don't think I could convince myself to actually want to..  so likely what will happen is i will just reverse my passion and hate this team.

~Bang

Yeah I wouldn't start rooting for another team, but I can see myself not really watching on Sundays and just focusing on my fantasy teams instead.

2 hours ago, Bang said:

~Bang

I will be a fan of the 16 teams that play the redskins every year. I will also only pay attention through espn gametracker and not actually give them any ratings or money. I will have 31 jerseys for every other team in the nfl.

Archived