Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moose & Squirrel v Boris & Natasha: what's the deal with the rooskies and trumpland?

Jumbo

12 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

He's going to fire Mueller.  If he doesn't fire him, the Russian investigation is gonna bring him down.  So why not obstruct to the very end?  What difference does it make?

I think an indictment to someone big is coming soon.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kushner gets charged around Christmas.

Here is the brief if no one has read it

https://www.scribd.com/document/367183201/36-1-Amicus-Brief-National-Security-Officials#from_embed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

He's going to fire Mueller.  If he doesn't fire him, the Russian investigation is gonna bring him down.  So why not obstruct to the very end?  What difference does it make?

For a while I wasn't as worried about that because it seemed like Congressional Republicans were, at least somewhat, standing up to him on it and warning him that if he did so they would just re-appoint Mueller on their own, away from his power.

However, the recent apoplectic panic rage by various GOP lawmakers has me much more worried that Trump will do it and get away with it. They're laying a framework to let him fire Mueller and not allow anyone to do anything about it, claiming all this "bias" that they've been screaming about recently.

But if it actually does happen, it will be very very messy and things could get out of hand fast. Rosenstein will probably refuse to fire Mueller and resign since he has indicated he would refuse to fire him without an obviously good cause, then what? Who else might follow him? Would the person behind Rosenstein who would then become the de facto DAG refuse to follow the order to fire as well? Would Trump try to appoint a flunky to the position? Would Trump simply say "I am the President and I can do what I want" and simply fire Mueller himself without even bothering with Rosenstein?

Edited by mistertim

If he fires Mueller, that's game over for him. Part of me wants him to do it just to get him out of there but then we're stuck with Pence. Either way, Trump isn't escaping whether he fires Mueller or not. I do think he can limit the shrapnel to the others by firing him and effectively falling on the sword, though he wouldn't think he was doing that at the time. 

• Like 1

Trump isn't going anywhere until this term is up.

2018 is the first step, then the 2020.  Trump will pardon the important ones to him, his family. No one else because they worked out deals with Mueller. However, the pardoned ones will be compelled to testify against him when he's charged as a private citizen again. When there's a Democratic administration in January 2021.

13 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Trump isn't going anywhere until this term is up.

2018 is the first step, then the 2020.  Trump will pardon the important ones to him, his family. No one else because they worked out deals with Mueller. However, the pardoned ones will be compelled to testify against him when he's charged as a private citizen again. When there's a Democratic administration in January 2021.

He cant pardon people from State crimes, which they will hook up the NY AG with.

39 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

If he fires Mueller, that's game over for him. Part of me wants him to do it just to get him out of there but then we're stuck with Pence. Either way, Trump isn't escaping whether he fires Mueller or not. I do think he can limit the shrapnel to the others by firing him and effectively falling on the sword, though he wouldn't think he was doing that at the time. 

I'd love to believe that but I don't think it would actually happen. Congressional Republicans have shown that they are complicit and are completely craven cowards when it comes to actually standing up and doing something about him, no matter how egregious, dishonest, unconstitutional, or incompetent his behavior. Oh I'm sure plenty of them would feign outrage, and maybe a few bold ones would actually call for something to be done, but in the end nothing would happen. Democrats would immediately draw up impeachment charges in the House, and it would be immediately shut down by Republicans. The Senate might be a bit different since they tend to be closer to the grown-ups...but they don't have any power to bring impeachment proceedings.

The only thing the Senate could do is re-appoint Mueller to their own special counsel probe and let him continue his work. Some have said they'd do that but I don't know if they'd actually be able to get the votes to pass it. During Watergate you had Republicans who had the principles and guts to stand up and say "Enough is enough. This won't be tolerated". Those don't really exist now.

Edited by mistertim

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I think an indictment to someone big is coming soon.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kushner gets charged around Christmas.

Here is the brief if no one has read it

https://www.scribd.com/document/367183201/36-1-Amicus-Brief-National-Security-Officials#from_embed

I wonder if they can be more specific about who these "cut outs" are:

Throughout, a hallmark of Russian active measure operations has been its reliance on intermediaries or ‘cut outs’ inside a country to facilitate active measure campaigns. These actors include political organizers and activists, academics, journalists, web operators, shell companies, nationalists and militant groups, and prominent pro-Russian businessmen. They range from the unwitting accomplice who is manipulated to act in what he believes is his best interest, to the ideological or economic ally who broadly shares Russian interests, to the knowing agent of influence who is recruited or coerced to directly advance Russian operations and objectives. The use of these intermediaries is designed to amplify the scope and reach of Russian influence efforts, while hiding their involvement and preserving a degree of deniability. 

Although we cannot disclose the details of operations for which the information is still classified, we can attest that the Russian government continues to use local actors in a number of ways. They cultivate relationships with internal political actors—nationalists and populists, political activists and Russian sympathizers—and seek to use them to corrode democratic institutions from within. They develop lucrative business relationships with influential businesspeople to become vocal advocates for Russian economic and political interests. hey use local agents to get closer to a target (especially one who would be hesitant to offer assistance to Russian operatives directly), or manipulate a target to suit their needs. They use these agents to probe potential targets to see if they might be open to relationships or blackmail. And they recruit individuals within a country to help them understand how to appeal to U.S. populations and target and shape the contours of disinformation campaigns. In sum, Russia has a practice of using local actors inside a country as a key tool in its “active measures” operations.

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

A bunch of chatter on twitter that something is gonna drop.

Indeed. 

Edit: Don't want that to be taken the wrong way. Just agreeing about more chatter about 'something big coming' than usual.

Edited by SoulSkin