Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

11 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

You guys are hysterical. He's a radio talk show host speculating on why the President is muzzling the GM.

I agree. And I am someone who hated the praise Cooley got as a player and the worship he has gotten since just because people think he's cool or would be fun to drink with. I think people are blowing these comments pretty far out of proportion. He is openly speculating about an issue that McCloughan has had already. It wasn't in a mocking way either...

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

Cooley does have a point.  He might not be allowed to talk to the media, but he isn't even allowed to give a interview on a station that Synder owns, where they can have him prep for questions??

So this guy is such an out of control alcoholic that he can't be trusted to give a brief interview but instead of firing him, he's allowed to go about his business as usual. Sounds about right...

On 2/13/2017 at 11:00 PM, NickyJ said:

05a.jpg

For the Cousins point, I won't debate it. To each his own, so fair enough.

But the rest of your points. Seriously? One coordinator was "lost" because he was a part of that "HISTORICALLY bad Redskins defense", as you aptly put it. The other was lost because the NFL rules say that teams have to allow coordinators to be signed as head coaches by other teams . What the heck do you expect him to do? Fight to keep the only DC in NFL history to lead an 0-16 defense? Go to the NFL Owners meeting and convince them to change its coordinator promotion rules?

And the risk losing both Wide Receivers to free agency. Well, duh. That's what happens in every contract ever signed. Every. Single. GM. Ever. Has to sign or let ANY player walk at the end of a contract. What in the world do you think is supposed to happen? What would you do differently? What COULD you do differently? :blink:

Jeez. We might as well just let Snyder run our personnel department and skip the GM if those are the requirements. There isn't a GM, living or dead, who can meet requirements like those.

He's the GM and is in charge of personnel, so it falls on him.

The reason Barry was his fault was because he should have never hired him in the first place...I'm mean, really?  you couldn't have found someone better than him?  You knew his track record and hired him anyway?  Defensive coordinator for the 0-16 Detroit lions should have sent him running in the opposite direction.  What did he expect from Barry?  That he would all of a sudden learn how to coach?  He's a position coach at best.  That's his fault for failing to recognize that.  I also feel he botched the Manusky hiring.  But I guess his hands were tied, but again thats his fault.  When proven defensive coordinators turn down the gig because of a "Lack of talent", who is responsible for that talent?  The GM...Coupled with the fact that the 0-16 defensive coordinator couldn't coach em up, the whole operation looks bad.

Regarding the Wide Receivers...Who lets BOTH starting Wide Receivers enter free agency at the same time?  Again, come on GMSM...you're better than this.  Worst case scenario, we lose both to free agency...Who does Cousins have to throw to then?  Doctson, if he could ever get on the field?  Crowder, who I love, but we're not sure he can be a number 2 let alone a number 1.  Again, piss poor personnel management.

I'll give you the McVay departure...Nothing he could really do about that...but coupled with the Barry firing, it still looks bad for a playoff caliber team to go from missing the playoffs by one game to now were looking for new coordinators.

1 hour ago, rdskn4eva said:

...but coupled with the Barry firing, it still looks bad for a playoff caliber team to go from missing the playoffs by one game to now were looking for new coordinators.

The Falcons just went to the Super Bowl and lost their OC to a head coaching vacancy and fired their DC. This is a non-issue.

5 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/15/chris-cooley-wonders-aloud-whether-scot-mccloughan-is-drinking/

Mike Florio interestingly had the same point as me .

Cooley assuming the worst - and then  voicing these concerns live on the radio cannot do anything for his working relationship with the GM in the future . 

It's entirely possible, but I find it interesting that now that Cooley has opened the bag, scouts and coaches are openly gossiping? You mean other than that idiotic quip by the Niners a little while back?

I hate this time of year for football.

4 minutes ago, rdskn4eva said:

But they made the Super Bowl lol....

Yeah, pretty different trajectories with each team. ATL O was one of the best all time last year and everyone is back except their slot. Will DJax or Pierre be here? Or rebuild WR corp?

Atlanta has knocked home runs with their last couple drafts and their coach has brought an alpha dog mentality to that young and talented defense. Our past two drafts have had an average to below-average impact and our defense may be young but is anything but talented.

The only reason I'm not that concerned is because of Kirk Cousins, but we have completely bottled that situation, and if franchised again this year, will he be our QB of future? A lot can happen, of course, but to compete in this division you need almost instant productivity out of draft classes. Not sure if Scot has lived up to being "the best pure talent evaluator in the league" like a few media guys have suggested. 

All the sudden our FO sounds like a dumpster fire. Media bias and ax's to grind are one thing but it honestly sounds like same old same old bad soap opera. I haven't a clue who to believe the locked out bored as hell media or the loyalist nothing to see here fanbase. Either way I Really hope we get a grip on our offseason with some good news here soon.

Very interesting developments, Cooley is apparently "off" yesterday and today, his comments removed from the ESPN980 archives...

Chuck Sapienza was on 106.7 saying someone at the Redskins told Cooley to say that (despite Cooley admitting he had no source, nothing to back it up) because "that's how they operate."

I shut the interview off. Just awful radio right now.

And now, John Feinstein is on the radio this morning parroting what Sapienza said...

I think the Redskins Front Office is doing the exact right thing with this: saying nothing. Say nothing, do nothing, it'll die out. We've seen what happens when they try otherwise.

7 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Very interesting developments, Cooley is apparently "off" yesterday and today, his comments removed from the ESPN980 archives...

Chuck Sapienza was on 106.7 saying someone at the Redskins told Cooley to say that (despite Cooley admitting he had no source, nothing to back it up) because "that's how they operate."

I shut the interview off. Just awful radio right now.

And now, John Feinstein is on the radio this morning parroting what Sapienza said...

I think the Redskins Front Office is doing the exact right thing with this: saying nothing. Say nothing, do nothing, it'll die out. We've seen what happens when they try otherwise.

Exactly. To comment on this would only add fuel to the fire. I understand it's offseason, but this is really getting perverse. The stuff flying out that is completely unsupported BS is mindboggling. Maybe it's the fact that this new Administration isn't leaking like a sieve and is professional, stark contrast to what we have been used to for the past 25 years that the media is gasping at anything, including just making **** up.

On 2/10/2017 at 11:42 PM, SoCalSkins said:

Bruce is going to spin this as Scot needing to focus on his sobriety. It's only going to take a couple of leaks to undermine Scot given his past.

This team never fails to disappoint. It was obvious the leak was coming. Pretty sloppy having Cooley do it, but the typical move that was going to be made.

A playoff caliber roster and $65M in cap to spend with Djax and Norman being the biggest impact players acquired by the team in the Gruden era with the Snyder hard sell approach, it was only a matter of time before Dan wants to be more hands on in player acquisition and Bruce wanting credit for his own prior personnel moves.

This all points to inevitable that Dan is going to be the defacto GM again. He wasn't having fun when Marty was picking the players and there is no way he is happy now. Redskins one is going to be fueled up and ready to go March 9th...

On 2/16/2017 at 4:02 PM, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

All the sudden our FO sounds like a dumpster fire. Media bias and ax's to grind are one thing but it honestly sounds like same old same old bad soap opera. I haven't a clue who to believe the locked out bored as hell media or the loyalist nothing to see here fanbase. Either way I Really hope we get a grip on our offseason with some good news here soon.

This is where I am

business as usual :)

On February 16, 2017 at 4:02 PM, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

rumor, innuendo, conjecture, speculation and probably straight up lies hurled by the pundits in varied media, fanned into flames here by fans starved for fish food bits of information early in the off season and the team does.....nothing. doesn't dignify rumors or slanderous statements with a defensive posture but simply sits back and ignores the BS and yet THEY are the dumpster fire. in years past the FO would have reacted and made it far worse among one half or the other, now they stay above the fray and because it isn't what were used to it also means the end is near. 

there may indeed prove to be fire to go with this smoke or it could all be absolutely nothing to see. either way, at this moment it is the FANBASE that needs to get a grip. there is no proof anything we are basing anything on has even happened. 

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

It only sounds "like a dumpster fire" because of all the crazy crap that fans are imagining.

Just what have they done besides Allen saying that GM Scott won't be doing any press interviews for now?

They haven't signed Cousins yet? They are working on it.

They haven't signed their free agents yet? What the hell is the rush? No one else has either.

The only problem around here is the galloping paranoia of fans who think they are entitled to hourly bulletins coming from Redskin Park about what they are doing. The Redskins are silent, like a wall, so fans are dreaming up all sorts of outrageous scenarios.

Isn't this 'no-leak, keep everything in-house' what we were always wanting? Now we got it, and it is driving some fans crazy. :ols:

People just need to relax.

Ok so I haven't posted anything in here for a while(for personal reasons) but when was the last time the team had a back to back winning season? Let's break down what Bruce did as the GM record wise

2010: 6-10

2011: 5-11

2012: 10-6 (won NFC East - lost 1st round)

2013: 3-13

2014: 4-12

Winning % as GM here: .350

Scot takes over as GM in 2015 and his record as GM is 

2015: 9-7(Win NFC East - Lose 1st round)

2016: 8-7-1(Miss playoffs by 1 game)

Winning percentage as GM: .546

So we have back to back winning seasons, and the FO is complaining? Yes we did miss on some FA's and rookies, but let me know when Bruce can actually do something like this. Yes I know the team had that collusion or circumventing the salary cap(which I think is BS) that costed the team 36 million over 2 years, and the trading of draft picks in 2012(let's not rehash that). I think Bruce and Cooley needs to sit down and let this man do what he can do. This is why we as fans can't have nice things. 

1 hour ago, DCranon21 said:

Ok so I haven't posted anything in here for a while(for personal reasons) but when was the last time the team had a back to back winning season? Let's break down what Bruce did as the GM record wise

2010: 6-10

2011: 5-11

2012: 10-6 (won NFC East - lost 1st round)

2013: 3-13

2014: 5-11

Winning % as GM here: .350

Scot takes over as GM in 2015 and his record as GM is 

2015: 9-7(Win NFC East - Lose 1st round)

2016: 8-7-1(Miss playoffs by 1 game)

Winning percentage as GM: .546

So we have back to back winning seasons, and the FO is complaining? Yes we did miss on some FA's and rookies, but let me know when Bruce can actually do something like this. Yes I know the team had that collusion or circumventing the salary cap(which I think is BS) that costed the team 36 million over 2 years, and the trading of draft picks in 2012(let's not rehash that). I think Bruce and Cooley needs to sit down and let this man do what he can do. This is why we as fans can't have nice things. 

thanks for the breakdown, unfortunately it will mean nothing to those that truly need it. but, don't miss out, the FO hasn't ACTUALLY complained as yet. WE have invented that little nugget.  here at ES we've been quick triggered, rushed to judgement, prophesied, debated, argued, insulted, assumed and jumped to conclusions over the years but i have never seen the cross thread foolishness currently going on based on absolutely nothing that we have at the moment. 

Archived