Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

Jerry Jones' jackpot win last season with QB and RB changed everything in the NFC East.  NY had a turnaround season with a new HC as well.  This changes everything the Skins were planning to do.  Instead of going into a 3rd season as a contender, the Skins are looking at having to rebuild, again.  It's not far fetched to view this off-season as year 1 of another rebuild. 

Don't be surprised if they franchise Cousins only to transition him or trade him.  Gruden is probably gone.  Scott...well, he got beat by JJ.  He's probably gone.  If their view is Cousins isn't worth the long term deal then they'll look to get some value from him with a new plan.

It smells like a rebuild.

Good article by Brewer, I can't say I don't disagree. But the timing is interesting--has anyone else noticed how the hatchets have come out in full force since the Front Office went dark?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/fans-say-in-scot-we-trust-but-bruce-allen-is-still-calling-redskins-shots/2017/02/22/79be4e9c-f86a-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.fccea35a59b2

I don't think Brewer is at Schefty's level.

With a resume like Allen's, no worries about the possible dysfunction resulting from his role, and the things Brewer touched on in his article:

• McCloughan has to go through Allen to get deals completed
  • McCloughan doesn’t have the authority to fire anyone
  • McCloughan uses Allen’s old scouting department
  • The structure remains in place to allow upper-management meddling

Oh, and that resume? Worked with the Raiders :headbang: Nuff said.

Bruce%20Allensave.jpg

So now that Dan isn't meddling anymore, we're going for Bruce meddling?

Is it wrong that the team president have a say in contract negotiations? That he have a say in firing the HC?

And the old scouting regime doesn't seem that bad so far.

So now, Bruce is the little evil guy in Redskins Park and his willingfully sabotaging this team from within. Because obviously, hiring one of the best talent evaluator and a good HC makes him looks stupid.

Brewer is ****ing right. We should fire Scot and Jay, and give full power to Chip Kelly, that would work better.

53 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Good article by Brewer, I can't say I don't disagree. But the timing is interesting--has anyone else noticed how the hatchets have come out in full force since the Front Office went dark?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/fans-say-in-scot-we-trust-but-bruce-allen-is-still-calling-redskins-shots/2017/02/22/79be4e9c-f86a-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html?utm_term=.fccea35a59b2

The media is in full bore melt down when it comes to the team.  The funny thing is nothing really bad has even happened yet, its all about speculating that the bad stuff is on the way.  But yeah if the media is correct and next season we will watch either Kirk here on a one year rental or playing in SF, D. Jax and Garcon maybe even playing against us within the division.  And the 2017 Redskins will be led by Colt Mccoy and Ryan Grant (hyperbole on my end for emphasis) then I'll share the outrage.  But I need to see it play out that way. Only news to me in that article is Brewer saying that Bruce overruled Scot and Jay and a couple of things -- but the way he wrote it it comes off like he wasn't sure whether to include it as a dig -- on one hand it fit the narrative that Bruce is the bad guy but at the same time he seemed to concede that whatever those items were Bruce was proven correct.

That can mean one of just two things: Cooley was too close to the truth, or Allen didn’t care that McCloughan received the negative publicity.

No, its not just one of two things. If you are dealing with an unsubstantiated rumor -- best strategy sometimes is not to respond at all.  If you respond it gives the story extra legs.  I deal with the press as part of what I do for a living and dealing with rumors is a big part of it. 

McCloughan runs the show — with Allen’s old scouting department. McCloughan flirted with adding a few of his own folks, but nothing came of it. 

Scot publicly said he explored the idea but he ending up liking who he had in house.  I recall last year he tried to add someone if I recall from GB but they blocked the move.

McCloughan is essentially as powerful as Allen wishes him to be. Even though McCloughan technically has final say on personnel matters, he still has to go through Allen to get deals completed, which is one way to limit the GM’s power. Even though McCloughan would be Coach Jay Gruden’s boss in a normal organizational structure, he doesn’t have the authority to fire Gruden or anyone on the coaching staff. Gruden and McCloughan report directly to Allen. They are, in essence, on the same shelf.

This was all said at the time of the hire.  Scot has final say on personnel.  Allen does the money and coaches.

I'm sorry but I don't believe any of this crap. 

This is just speculation from a local media head. RGIII is gone, the team name issue is dead, Dan isn't in charge anymore...so now our local beat guy need a new chew toy. 

Shameful. 

And BTW, if McCloughan wasn't in charge why was he allowed to bring in all these guys from his 49ers days? Greg Manusky, Jim Tomsula, etc. If allen was calling the shots wouldn't it be all Tampa losers?

Total BS

3 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

We all know the history of this organization. If it has to do with disfunction or something just seeming off, its probably true.

Thats' where I'm at.  I used to try to give them the benefit of the doubt.  But it seems that eventually all or most of the crap is confirmed true. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The media is in full bore melt down when it comes to the team.  The funny thing is nothing really bad has even happened yet, its all about speculating that the bad stuff is on the way.  But yeah if the media is correct and next season we will watch either Kirk here on a one year rental or playing in SF, D. Jax and Garcon maybe even playing against us within the division. 

And don't forget this doozy:

"And then there’s the much wilder story involving Chris Cooley, the former tight end and current radio host and color analyst, who wondered aloud recently on ESPN 980 whether McCloughan had been drinking again. [...]So the accusation from Cooley, who is very good at his job and thorough in his work, was vicious and reckless if, as he suggested, they were just off-the-cuff remarks. His close ties with the franchise make his thoughts seem more sinister — was it planted material aimed to reduce McCloughan’s popularity?"

You've GOT to be ****ing kidding me.

Brewer first claims that the Skins let the "mirage" that Scot was in charge exist because it made fans more interested and invested in the team, then he goes on to say just a paragraph later that Allen is now sabotaging that very "mirage" he supposedly helped prop up by planting negative stories in the media about Scot. Because he's jealous.

Stick to one conspiracy, Jerry lol...

18 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

Please don't be naive, folks.    This is Brewer doing his boy, SM, a solid...

This is why I've always thought that if you're a coach or GM; this is the best job in football....if you succeed, you will be a hero and if you fail it will be because of Dan/Bruce.

What seems more naive:

1) Believing yet another source who reports organizational dysfunction in one of the most dysfunctional organizations of the past 15 years?

2) Thinking that a well respected reporter is fabricating a story to help a friend? 

I know which direction I'm leaning. 

Brewer is widely respected by the radio guys and gets a lot of air time.  I have found his articles throughout last season to be very fair to the team.

In other words, he has credibility in my book.

He's obviously not the first one to go down this road.  As I've said before, where there's smoke, there's fire.

39 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Aaaaaand back to dysfunction the Redskins go. Disappointing, but not surprising  

Well that dyfunction for the last two years lead us to our first back to back winning season in what? 20? 25 years?

I kinda like that kind of dysfunction.

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

1) Believing yet another source who reports organizational dysfunction in one of the most dysfunctional organizations of the past 15 years?

You believe what you want to believe. If the hat suits you, you wear it.

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

2) Thinking that a well respected reporter is fabricating a story to help a friend? 

I doubt anybody said he's fabricating a story. He's just second guessing almost everything with a bad prism on it.

NFL GMs don't speak much, especially at this time of the year. But if Scot doesn't now, blame Bruce or the Scot's past, or even both.

NFL GMs all report to the Team President. But if Scot do report to Bruce, then it's Bruce hampering Scot's powers.

NFL Team President all have a say in contract negotiations. But when Bruce have it, then it's still him being is evil self.

As @Skinsinparadise said, that mostly looks like a media bore meltdown regarding the franchise. We've been dysfunctional for so long that people still have a hard time we're finally making it together and they're seeing this with an old eye trying to look for any semblance of dysfunctioning. Medias needs stuff to sell papers and have some kind of audience on radio, over the net or on TV shows. Sadly for them, right now, there's nothing to deal with around Redskins Park. But those guys have to come up with something to sell. It used to be Dan pictured as the evil guy, but now he's backing up from everything (even pants color), we're looking at another scapegoat.

So, let them speak, until it dies. Because it will eventually do when some news will happen like a LTD. When that happens, lots will look dumb.

First off, people don't respect Allen enough as a football guy. He won Executive of the Year in Oakland in 2002, and until this past year the Raiders didn't have a winning season since he left. He then went to Tampa where the Bucs had three winning seasons out of the five he was there, and they haven't made it back to the playoffs since he left. Our 2014 draft class which was an Allen draft is looking pretty solid right now despite no 1st round pick.

I think the current structure is pretty solid. Allen is the czar of the team, being Team President and all, and McLoughan is in charge of the nitty gritty player personnel/scouting stuff. McC reports to Allen who reports to Snyder.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

First off, people don't respect Allen enough as a football guy. He won Executive of the Year in Oakland in 2002, and until this past year the Raiders didn't have a winning season since he left. He then went to Tampa where the Bucs had three winning seasons out of the five he was there, and they haven't made it back to the playoffs since he left. Our 2014 draft class which was an Allen draft is looking pretty solid right now despite no 1st round pick.

I think the current structure is pretty solid. Allen is the czar of the team, being Team President and all, and McLoughan is in charge of the nitty gritty player personnel/scouting stuff. McC reports to Allen who reports to Snyder.

I don't think it's the chain of command that is worrisome. Naturally, the GM would report to the President who would report to the Owner. 

To me, it's the possibility that McCloughan's impact is being diminished if his control of the roster is overruled or not complete. To me, having McCloughan as a glorified scout is fine I guess. But having him be completely responsible for building a roster is what I thought we were getting two years ago. Having him is still better than not having him, but it's not what I was hoping for. 

6 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I wish Bruce overruled the majority of SM's drafting and free agency the past two years.

So, I can't put words in your mouth but I think your quote provides an appropriate place to drop an opinion I've had for a while now...

We can't both want to turn over GM duties to proven guy for several years in the hopes that he builds a contending roster 

AND

Want our meddling front office to step in every time he makes a choice we, as fans, don't like. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

So, I can't put words in your mouth but I think your quote provides an appropriate place to drop an opinion I've had for a while now...

We can't both want to turn over GM duties to proven guy for several years in the hopes that he builds a contending roster 

AND

Want our meddling front office to step in every time he makes a choice we, as fans, don't like. 

I was being sarcastic (kinda).

Having said that, I don't believe the organization is as dysfunctional as people like to make it seem......I don't believe it's been dysfunctional for a very long time.

People seem to think most other franchise run smoothly....every team has some internal issues.

Archived