Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

The redskins have always treated their own who have succeeded like trash while valuing those outside of the organization on a ****ing pedestal 

Like who? We gave Stephen Davis, Lavar Arrington, Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen etc. all monster deals. We really tried to re-sign Champ but he wouldn't do it. With the exception of Morris and Orakpo, what players that were any good did we let leave that we drafted who succeeded elsewhere? And Morris, whom is still one of my favorite players, did absolutely nothing for Dallas. 

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

3 players drafted in the entire tenure of Synder. Thanks for making my point.  And 2 of those were 1st rounders. 

If you're talking about the entire tenure of Snyder, it's a ****load more than just three.

Question: since Bruce Allen came on board, which Redskins players have succeeded that the team has treated like trash?

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

If you're talking about the entire tenure of Snyder, it's a ****load more than just three.

Question: since Bruce Allen came on board, which Redskins players have succeeded that the team has treated like trash?

Its crazy, some people act like we have had MORE than 3 players worthy of resigning.  The real problem has been a lack of talent, not that we have let the talent walk.

3 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Did you go back and edit this after I quoted you (it said naive when I quoted)?  Watch out internet, bob thinks I'm dumb  :rofl89:.......someone needs a hug or needs to lighten up.  

What's really funny is this troll actually tries to call other people out for not be "professional" and nice and sweet when they quote him.  :rofl89:  He can't handle when he is proven wrong and then cries that others are mean to him.  Now he's going back and altering posts to insult after the fact, like you wouldn't see it after the fact. What a joke.  

So...the guy who was recounting the "missteps" 2 weeks ago, predicting doom and gloom, and was the start of all of this noise about FO drama, not signing anyone, etc. is now telling us to relax: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/02/24/relax-redskins-fans-so-far-silent-free-agent-talks-will-start-at-nfl-combine/?utm_term=.6eab7e3dce71

I ****ing hate the Post's Redskins coverage.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

So...the guy who was recounting the "missteps" 2 weeks ago, predicting doom and gloom, and was the start of all of this noise about FO drama, not signing anyone, etc. is now telling us to relax: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/02/24/relax-redskins-fans-so-far-silent-free-agent-talks-will-start-at-nfl-combine/?utm_term=.6eab7e3dce71

I ****ing hate the Post's Redskins coverage.

And it's no coincidence that, unlike the last article, this article actually says he talked to people lol..."Multiple people close to the situation said..."

Just now, Califan007 said:

And it's no coincidence that, unlike the last article, this article actually says he talked to people lol..."Multiple people close to the situation said..."

I retweeted that article, basically calling bull****. This was his response to me.:

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I retweeted that article, basically calling bull****. This was his response to me.:

The thing he either doesn't understand or chooses to overlook, is that it really IS the same issue.

Bruce "muzzling" Scot due to being "jealous" or hiding Scot's re-emerging drinking problems or whatever the reason-du-jour is, speaks to front office ineptitude and incompetency. That directly reflects how they deal with impending free agents and especially Cousins.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The thing he either doesn't understand or chooses to overlook, is that it really IS the same issue.

Bruce "muzzling" Scot due to being "jealous" or hiding Scot's re-emerging drinking problems or whatever the reason-du-jour is, speaks to front office ineptitude and incompetency. That directly reflects how they deal with impending free agents and especially Cousins.

I also subsequently pointed out that he specifically called out not resigning Garcon, Cousins and DJax as "missteps" in his column.

Just now, Califan007 said:

HA! lol....excellent.

Shockingly, he had no response.

Again, compare how the Post covers the Nationals: Svrluga, Janes, Castillo, even Boswell are much more even-keeled reporters--meaning the report the news, not their opinions. The contentious relationship between the Post and Snyder makes their Redskins content unreadable.

18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Again, compare how the Post covers the Nationals: Svrluga, Janes, Castillo, even Boswell are much more even-keeled reporters--meaning the report the news, not their opinions. The contentious relationship between the Post and Snyder makes their Redskins content unreadable.

They'll never change. Honestly i wish it was back to no one posting their crap on this site.

Thats everyone's go to default option in  this town whenever their faced with the prospect of having to do actual work. Im sick of it.

What if Scott, Bruce, and Jay have spoken.  KC had a statistically good year for a Redskins QB.   On Offense we are probably losing at least one if not two of our offensive weapons (Probably Djax).   The chemistry of the offense will have to shift.  We know we need another RB and Rob Kelley is a good fill in the whole, but we need another back, and are we really going to resign Chris Thompson?

But if everything was frozen, no changes on O, and we improved just two players on defense, would it have made the difference in making the playoffs, maybe winning in the playoffs?  I'm thinking the answer is no, and the FO knows it.   We have one ILB whose a Restricted FA, Sam Baker is a free agent also.  We probably needed to new DL before that happened.  We re-signed Galette, but he's one more injury from being out of the league.  Kerrigan and Murphy did okay, but Preston Smith, sorry to say a little lack luster.

D Hall is coming off injury again, are we really sticking with him as a free safety?   Cravens probably ends up as on eof the safeties, but we likely need another starter, and a backup because I'm not expecting both Duke and Bruton to survive summer.   Oh, and although we have a second year corner from VaTech, I think we need a fourth one.  I count 5-7 spots on defense, that can't be all filled from Free Agency and the Draft alone.  (I'm expecting at least one OL draft pick probably a C/G type, maybe a RB), which means at most 2 Defensive impact players from this draft.  If we sign one Impact Free Agent that's 3 of 5 or 7, which to me means, we are likely another year away from being a team worthy of respect.    And if we are relying on Draft picks, there are no guarantees they catch on in year one, and there are no guarantees they get a lot of playing time.  Which means, another year, money wasted on Cousins, and perhaps 2 or 3 before the Defense really hits its stride.  It may just be that this FO realizes that the window on Kirk Cousins potentially being a playoff winning and Super Bowl Challenging Quarterback is slim, and not because of Kirk.  But because we simply are not ready for a real Franchise quarterback.

So given that, tag and accept compensation for him makes sense, because it ups the odds of good picks in this year (and maybe next draft)  We can hang with Colt for a year, and possibly a Free agent off the street if need be.  It will suck, it will mean we realize we aren't ready to be fully out of the cellar but are taking the steps necessary for longevity.  That's really what most of us want I think.  It may hurt though.

I'm prepared for it.

1 hour ago, Veretax said:

It may just be that this FO realizes that the window on Kirk Cousins potentially being a playoff winning and Super Bowl Challenging Quarterback is slim, and not because of Kirk.  But because we simply are not ready for a real Franchise quarterback.

So given that, tag and accept compensation for him makes sense, because it ups the odds of good picks in this year (and maybe next draft)  We can hang with Colt for a year, and possibly a Free agent off the street if need be.  It will suck, it will mean we realize we aren't ready to be fully out of the cellar but are taking the steps necessary for longevity.  That's really what most of us want I think.  It may hurt though.

I'm prepared for it.

I don't see how a team can ever "not be ready" for a franchise quarterback. We finally have one who's worthy of that title, is relatively young, never gets injured and is by all accounts the kind of "character" guy we're always talking about wanting. Plus, we have tons of cap space and can easily make some solid improvements on the defense WITH signing Kirk. If we have to wait to get a few more studs, I'd rather wait for that than go back to the drawing board AGAIN looking for a QB. Yeah, that would hurt alright. And I am NOT prepared for it at all. 

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

I don't see how a team can ever "not be ready" for a franchise quarterback. We finally have one who's worthy of that title, is relatively young, never gets injured and is by all accounts the kind of "character" guy we're always talking about wanting. Plus, we have tons of cap space and can easily make some solid improvements on the defense WITH signing Kirk. If we have to wait to get a few more studs, I'd rather wait for that than go back to the drawing board AGAIN looking for a QB. Yeah, that would hurt alright. And I am NOT prepared for it at all. 

That was one theory I had, regarding the quietness of it.  I don't like the feel of it because it feels like giving up on this year with the hope of better days ahead.

I would prefer of course they sign cousins, keep Garcon and Vernon Sign a Safety, ILB, or Pass rusher in FA, a couple of depth guys and then hold their bag of dough.

11 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

The thing that disappointed me the most about all of this recently is how they were so willing to throw away the solid relationship they had seemingly built with the team ever since the Scot hire. 

Things have been different between the team and the WP since then. And, just like that, because Redskins PR told them Scot wouldn't be talking to them (an Allen directive), it was open season. 

I get they've got jobs to do and it stinks when they're not given access, but it shouldn't have turned into that. Not that quickly and not that ugly. I think it's ok to hold both the team and the local media, specifically the WP, accountable. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

It's a shame many fans encouraged opinion pieces dressed up as "reports" with next to no citing of sources (anonymous or not) and even admitted speculation (followed by articles speculating on that speculation) by allowing them to gain so much steam. 

Brewer's article had only ONE cited source in its entirety when he talked about Allen overriding Jay and Scot a few times (not even going into detail on that since it likely wasn't bad), Mike Jones's article that kicked it off had none outside of the known fact that Scot was being kept from the media, and then Cooley blatantly stating he's speculating while throwing out numerous possibilities. 

And that was enough to create a feeding frenzy. It shouldn't be that way, whether the team deserves it or not. There should be a level of accountability we demand from our local media that doesn't let them get away with that. 

You know, as annoying as those guys could be, at least JLC and Jason Reid along with others in the past would cite sources (sometimes in the weakest way, with the whole "people informed or close to the situation" one that could mean the janitor, but at least SOMETHING).

Heck, Reid recently popping out with old news that means nothing about Kirk to create a stir is incredibly annoying, but he's citing sources.

But this was just bad journalism at its core and, to me, it came off as vindictive. Like the sole purpose was to get back at the team for keeping quiet and force them out of it.

Guys like Mike Jones and Jerry Brewer suddenly putting on negative slants on absolutely everything even if it completely contradicted their own recent stances on those topics. That just sucks to see that. 

Hopefully it's over. I do like that Mike Jones came out with that "relax" article. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he did that for the sole purpose of making amends or changing course. As much as I liked you calling him out on it, and I almost did as well on twitter, I think it's best to not antagonize him and allow him his redemption if that's what it is. :ols: 

We're getting closer to the combine, FA, the draft, and tag deadlines. Actual moves are going to and not going to be made. We'll all have plenty of material to criticize or commend, and the media will provide us with plenty as well. It's crazy how heated it got before then based almost entirely on nothing.  

3 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

A franchise not ready lol.  What a joke.  The QB is the only position in sports that can transform an entire team from a loser to a consistent  winner 

Another interesting note about this whole made-up-affair, is who within the Redskins organization, including Bruce Allen, has said anything, about anything, or about anybody?

Nobody, thats who.  I find it glaringly obvious that the Redskins have muzzled the entire organization, possibly because this used to be leak central for the past decade, and oh, there are these two things called "Free Agency" and "The Draft" coming up that they might not want to give any inside information on.  Lets be honest, if you heard Gruden and Allen and Cavanaugh talking freely, there might be a story there.  But right now, the Redskins are Fort Knox about anything and everything.

One angle that I have not seen anyone look at is that maybe Scot didn't want to talk to the media.  Maybe he wanted to focus more on the draft and free agency or maybe he doesn't feel comfortable talking to the press in general or maybe one or two of a dozen other reasons.  Maybe he just doesn't want to do it, but felt obligated to due interviews.  Maybe he spoke with his counterparts about his wishes, concerns, whatever you want to call them, and Bruce said something like:

"No problem, Buddy.  I don't mind being the bad guy here.  I'll say that I'm shutting you down from talking so you can focus on your job, and let the media say        what ever the hell they want to say.  We all know the truth of what's going on; the media can speculate all they want.  Doesn't matter, though.  We've got              each others backs and we'll get this done."   

Of course this could be the opposite of the conversation they had, but no one outside of the FO really knows anything because none of them are saying anything.  I just thought that was an interesting angle that no one, at least that I've seen, has looked at.

FO letting all rumors brew into a nice stew :D  Peoples keyboards are getting worn and tempers flaring.  

Its Skinpocalypse ......   Others teams are making plenty of moves . I hope the FO is not waiting on Kirk deal , because its now being reported that he wont do anything until he gets tagged .  If he is tagged a LTD can not be less per a year then what tag is worth .  it would make him top paid QB . So the reports of not being allowed to speak in media could very well be true because its a crappy game holding a team hostage  like it seems kirk might be 

53 minutes ago, jphilly said:

FO letting all rumors brew into a nice stew :D  Peoples keyboards are getting worn and tempers flaring.  

Its Skinpocalypse ......   Others teams are making plenty of moves . I hope the FO is not waiting on Kirk deal , because its now being reported that he wont do anything until he gets tagged .  If he is tagged a LTD can not be less per a year then what tag is worth .  it would make him top paid QB . So the reports of not being allowed to speak in media could very well be true because its a crappy game holding a team hostage  like it seems kirk might be 

per that line in red (and really, the entire post)

this the second time in a short space I've had the thought "why is the philly fan still here?"

i seriously doubt you'll survive a third

I will just say that this offseason is exactly why i HATE DC media. It started with the firing of Joe Barry, which most Redskins fans were calling for. How was it played on most radio shows? We're a dysfunctional franchise because we can't get the guy we really want (from Cincy) or the best guy on the market (Phillips) or the other guy we really want, so we settled on Manusky. Very little analysis of Manusky's schemes or how he would differ from Barry, but a lot of complaining. Then it was the OC promotion, and less complaining but still more complaining than actual analysis of what it means for our offense. 

Then we get into FA leadup and the Kirk Cousins / why haven't they done anything yet thing. And everybody and as much as I love Grant Paulsen, he's become impossible to listen to because of his seeming arrogance (almost as bad as Chris Russell) of "I told you how good Kirk was". People (DC sports media) are forgetting how last year people were almost split on whether he should get a deal or not and whether his value was worth what Brock got, higher, lower or what. 

Then comes this BS Story / sequence of stories. And I don't care how many articles come out I'm calling them BS because they're the same type of stories that were being pushed back in the Vinny days, we even have DC Sports media calling Bruce Allen the new Vinny whose only job is to keep Danny happy - ignoring the success this team has had with Allen, the fact that Allen is the one who brought in both Gruden and Scot, and how our whole philosophy as a franchise has done a 180 since then (including finally deciding to keep our own). But we have Mike Jones do a story where he admits its complete speculation and the media runs with it. We have Cooley do a segment where he admits its speculation and the media runs with it. 

I'm into my NPR / audiobooks portion of the year because nothing good comes out of these fantasy rumors that are only intended to keep ears / eyes on them when they've got nothing to report. 

40 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I will just say that this offseason is exactly why i HATE DC media. It started with the firing of Joe Barry, which most Redskins fans were calling for. How was it played on most radio shows? We're a dysfunctional franchise because we can't get the guy we really want (from Cincy) or the best guy on the market (Phillips) or the other guy we really want, so we settled on Manusky. Very little analysis of Manusky's schemes or how he would differ from Barry, but a lot of complaining. Then it was the OC promotion, and less complaining but still more complaining than actual analysis of what it means for our offense. 

Then we get into FA leadup and the Kirk Cousins / why haven't they done anything yet thing. And everybody and as much as I love Grant Paulsen, he's become impossible to listen to because of his seeming arrogance (almost as bad as Chris Russell) of "I told you how good Kirk was". People (DC sports media) are forgetting how last year people were almost split on whether he should get a deal or not and whether his value was worth what Brock got, higher, lower or what. 

Then comes this BS Story / sequence of stories. And I don't care how many articles come out I'm calling them BS because they're the same type of stories that were being pushed back in the Vinny days, we even have DC Sports media calling Bruce Allen the new Vinny whose only job is to keep Danny happy - ignoring the success this team has had with Allen, the fact that Allen is the one who brought in both Gruden and Scot, and how our whole philosophy as a franchise has done a 180 since then (including finally deciding to keep our own). But we have Mike Jones do a story where he admits its complete speculation and the media runs with it. We have Cooley do a segment where he admits its speculation and the media runs with it. 

I'm into my NPR / audiobooks portion of the year because nothing good comes out of these fantasy rumors that are only intended to keep ears / eyes on them when they've got nothing to report. 

without some speculation / opinions  the offseason would not have much to talk about .   I think most know it is exactly that and not much more . So really people just some people taking others opinions to the extreme  make it worse then it is . 

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

per that line in red (and really, the entire post)

this the second time in a short space I've had the thought "why is the philly fan still here?"

i seriously doubt you'll survive a third

too talk football ? It is what ES MB is for unless I am mistaken 

Archived