Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

2 hours ago, HapHaszard said:

The whole anti-Snyder/Redskins deal by the WP started when Snyder took over the Redskins, found that the free game tickets that the Redskins had been giving to the WP were showing up on the secondary market and he stopped giving them free tickets.  From then on it was hostile to the point where at one time the Redskins pretty much stopped allowing staff to even talk to WP reporters.  While things have been smoothed over since then every once in a while it surfaces at the WP again. 

Well to be fair, with the print media dying out WaPo was counting on that scalping revenue towards their bottom line. ?

To me, Bruce doesn't want Scot to talk right now, because the team's working on resigning Cousins.  If Scot says something that upsets Kirk and his agent, it could hurt the Skins' bargaining position.  There's been a lot of stories referring to how Cousins wants to be shown he's wanted by this team.  Bruce wants to control the public narrative, because that's what's currently in the best interest of the team.  He doesn't mind Gruden talking, because Jay'll emphatically state how he wants Kirk to return. 

Scot was likely responsible for a couple Jerry Brewer articles that probably upset Kirk.  He also may have been involved in the recent Jason Cole report. Bruce wants to to keep this stuff in house as much as possible while he's working on the contract. 

47 minutes ago, HapHaszard said:

Sorry bout dat, was meant for the twitter thread, I get confused easily :)

Image result for you're fired gif

3 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

To me, Bruce doesn't want Scot to talk right now, because the team's working on resigning Cousins.  If Scot says something that upsets Kirk and his agent, it could hurt the Skins' bargaining position.  There's been a lot of stories referring to how Cousins wants to be shown he's wanted by this team.  Bruce wants to control the public narrative, because that's what's currently in the best interest of the team.  He doesn't mind Gruden talking, because Jay'll emphatically state how he wants Kirk to return. 

Scot was likely responsible for a couple Jerry Brewer articles that probably upset Kirk.  He also may have been involved in the recent Jason Cole report. Bruce wants to to keep this stuff in house as much as possible while he's working on the contract. 

Kirk is too sensitive :D  Modern day hippy I tell ya 

GMs are usually quiet right now anyway. All of them. They're working on scouting, negotiating FA contracts and preparing Draft strategy.

Still no big deal, Scot will have his little presser when we'll sign a few guys in the upcomings days. And after the draft as well.

Can't believe we're making a story out of nothing here...

Isn't Bruce Allen that denied the owner to discuss our pants color as well?

5 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

This is what I'm inclined to believe as well.

Some floated rumors that Allen is jealous of the credit Scot gets as a reason, but this offseason people were giving Allen credit for 2014 draft and criticizing Scot's picks in recent draft and also saying a lot of players were here when Scot got here. So I don't buy that.

If you follow the timeline of events: Jan. 24th Bruce Allen states Cousins IS our QB, next day, Jan. 25th Jason Cole starts talking about the team trading Cousins, it gets spread all over twitter that it's legit because Scot and Cole are tight. Then, not even a full week later, reports on twitter start leaking that Bruce told Scot he couldn't hold interviews. Since then Allen has been more vocal about the team keeping Cousins and since he did that Cousins has stated he does want to stay here. Now of course in-house you entertain trade offers because you never know what teams are willing to pony up, but you don't leak that stuff to the media when you're in the middle of negotiations. Maybe Scot didn't but Allen is just being overly cautious, maybe Scot did leak info, or maybe for the sake of keeping trade offers coming in and for negotiations Allen wants the GM's position on Cousins to stay unknown. Not sure. 

20 hours ago, HapHaszard said:

We're supposed to wear pants?  :o

Only if you don't wear panties.

6 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

https://www.dchotread.com/2017/02/11/more-power-for-bruce

More fuel for the fire..Would rather not have this swirling around..

Interestingly, he smartly forgets the part where Bruce hired both Jay and Scot, the guys responsible for the turnover. Being able to hire the right guys is more important than anything here.

And IIRC, when they hired Scot, Bruce stated that he was no GM.

Some of those reporters are really trying to make smoke where there is no fire...

15 hours ago, elkabong82 said:

This is what I'm inclined to believe as well.

Some floated rumors that Allen is jealous of the credit Scot gets as a reason, but this offseason people were giving Allen credit for 2014 draft and criticizing Scot's picks in recent draft and also saying a lot of players were here when Scot got here. So I don't buy that.

If you follow the timeline of events: Jan. 24th Bruce Allen states Cousins IS our QB, next day, Jan. 25th Jason Cole starts talking about the team trading Cousins, it gets spread all over twitter that it's legit because Scot and Cole are tight. Then, not even a full week later, reports on twitter start leaking that Bruce told Scot he couldn't hold interviews. Since then Allen has been more vocal about the team keeping Cousins and since he did that Cousins has stated he does want to stay here. Now of course in-house you entertain trade offers because you never know what teams are willing to pony up, but you don't leak that stuff to the media when you're in the middle of negotiations. Maybe Scot didn't but Allen is just being overly cautious, maybe Scot did leak info, or maybe for the sake of keeping trade offers coming in and for negotiations Allen wants the GM's position on Cousins to stay unknown. Not sure. 

Or maybe it's typical Redskins micromanagement.  Bruce and Dan not letting McCloughan do his job.  

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

What's iirc mean?

I'll assume "if I recall correctly" lol

9 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Not even bothering to click that. More clickbait and drama in a time where news is minimal. I can't stand Chris Russell--he's a screaming head that just wants to cultivate emotional reactions rather than deal with facts.

That being said, this all could be fact, but it seems like a ton of conjecture, and ignoring anything actually positive about the team.

I am waiting to see what happens. Signing Kirk long term will silence a lot of this.

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wow, that's impressively bad. He even states a few times that he has no facts and is making it up.

Yes, it's clear several of the jackals in the sports media have seen Jones' article, and are now piling on for clickbait and reaction.

12 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

When Scot was hired, it was Bruce who told Snyder he had to be patient if this was going to work...

Yet the story now is that Bruce is "jealous" that the guy he wanted for months and hired to turn things around is getting credit for--wait for it--starting to turn things around? lol....Not to mention that Scot M is starting to get some criticism for his draft classes not panning out yet (duh...it's only been 2 years) and that his free agent signings have largely been busts. So what exactly is there for Allen to be jealous over? lol..."The press isn't criticizing me as much as they are Scot!...I wanna be criticized, too, dammit. I'm as much a part in our late-season collapse as anyone else in this building!...I know...I'll ban Scot from doing any interviews. That'll learn 'im!"

This reminds me of the story that Jason Cole (I think) said that Cousins wasn't talking to RG3 and couldn't even be in the same room as Griffin, that's how stressful and terrible their relationship had become. But then something like a week later, the WPost does a story on Cousins being named starter and in it the writer mentions that Cousins and Griffin attend Bible Study together, and that when Kirk found out his father had cancer, Griffin and McCoy were the first players he talked to about it. But to a lot of fans and even writers it didn't matter...Cole's article confirmed people's biases so it got tossed around as fact and truth.

(Edit: I think I got the timing of the articles wrong...the article talking about the bible study and Cousins' father's health came out 2 months or so after Cole's article...however, the bible study session and talk about his father occurred right around the time of Cole's "They aren't speaking/can't be in the same room together" stuff, so the overall point still remains in tact)

Or the time where, after we found out that Scot was being hired as the new GM, Rick Snider claimed that it was "fan backlash" over A.J. Smith's increased role in things that made the Skins go out and hire a real GM...said something like "See? Fan outrage can and does effect things."...Of course when other writers waited to get facts to write their stories on the hire later, we found out that Allen and Snyder had been in contact with Scot about a possible hire as GM while the 2014 season was still going on...and months earlier than any "fan backlash" over A.J. Smith ever took place. But yanno, no real reason to hold back on anything as a journalist when your gut feeling can serve as an 'insider source'.

Or--speaking of Cole again lol--how Jason Cole came out with the story that Scot M had to "stand on the table" for 5 hours to convince Snyder to let Gruden start Cousins. But that was a year after the ESPN story from Russini and Schefter that made the claim that the meeting was 2 hours, not 5...and that story was refuted by other stories, most notably from the WPost and PFT, with PFT saying that the majority of the 2 hour meeting dealt with Snyder and Scot talking about what exactly happened to cause Griffin to be cleared to play after going through concussion protocol and then having it rescinded a day or two later....not about Snyder needing 2 hours to be convinced to let Gruden start Cousins. So not only was Cole a year late in his "scoop", but he more than doubled the alleged "Convince Snyder to let Cousins start" timespan from 2 hours to 5 hours. But damn if there weren't some fans here parroting Cole's "5-hour meeting" comments as something that had just now come to light, and that proved their suspicions about Snyder were correct.

Archived