Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

2 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

I know everyone wants to believe a more rosy picture of what's happening, but I've always liked Mike Jones and feel like he's a great, usually accurate beat reporter. He's never struck me as the sensationalist type. And everything he writes here speaks to what I've been feeling (and probably most other fans, if you're honest) this whole offseason thus far: unease. There is a stench-heavy wind blowing, 

This team's upper management continues to bungle things because they have no idea how to effectively sustain success, and it usually boils down to how they treat their staff. As usual, we hear the same reports of backbiting, refusal to pay what people are worth, unclear lines of authority, and of course the usual worthless commentary from Allen. (I will never forget his absolutely shameful presser after Shanahan was fired. That wasn't even amateur hour.)

Count me as being in agreement with you.  I realize some obviously disagree, but more often than not, these so-called "tabloid rumors" are closer to the truth than people want to admit and the repercussions of these "rumors" play themselves out in more of these cases than they should down the road in the form of organizational changes, losing seasons, etc.

I also agree that Mike Jones doesn't seem like the sensationalist kind and hasn't shown a history of that to my recollection.

37 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I mean that I think the guys in charge of the on-field product have earned themselves some rope. To me, that's McCloughan, his scouts, and the coaching staff. The people above McCloughan (Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder) still concern me because I can't tell if they are on the same page as the football guys. 

Unfortunately, one of those two guys (Snyder) isn't going away anytime soon. The only accountability he will feel is if the fanbase revolts and he loses money. Otherwise, he will blame his shortcomings on those he hired.

Just my $0.02.

3 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

Scot has done some really good work in some areas.  I never saw Crowder being such an NFL threat when he was at Duke.  Scot also hit on Mason Foster and Vernon Davis in Free agency.  So, it's not all bad.  But his work is not good enough to convince any proven DC (like Bradley, Phillips, etc) to choose to come coach at Washington.  Scot has a good reputation from the past but like he demanded of  Kirk he needs to prove it with the Redskins as well.  Bruce just reminded him of that fact in a crystal clear manner. 

The Bruce reminding Scot drill is conjecture from Mike Jones.  And I don't get the vibe that Scot is arrogant where he needs to be humbled by Bruce or anyone else.  Jones added more fuel to the fire on the Junkies this morning suggesting that Bruce is jealous that Scot gets too much credit for the team's turnaround and Bruce thinks he deserves credit for it as part of the pie.  Maybe so.  That's conjecture, too. 

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

No ****. Isn't all this obvious? Don't see the drama resulting from this kind of story. An armchair fan from England can tell the pressure is on this year. People have to make the right calls and generate results or its game over all over the place.

Extremely shortsighted to let Scot go. Would condemn this franchise as long as Snyder is owner.

Just now, bird_1972 said:

Extremely shortsighted to let Scot go. Would condemn this franchise as long as Snyder is owner.

I tend to agree.

He needs to make some good calls in the next three months though. Probably could have nailed down both Cousins and Garcon 12 months ago at 80% of the current cost being an example of something he now has to unravel.

Hopefully Scot is still on track and will produce the goods between now and May.

35 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

No ****. Isn't all this obvious? Don't see the drama resulting from this kind of story. An armchair fan from England can tell the pressure is on this year. People have to make the right calls and generate results or its game over all over the place.

you realize that this is from  the story I linked  , not my words ......

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

We're doing exactly what the media is hoping we would: Freak out, not just over speculation, but over opinions based on speculation.

We're better than that.

I would say its more of a discussion . Its not a bad one at that because Football tends to get a bit stale this time of year 

to anyone saying mike jones isnt usually inflammatory and should be believed, take his name off the article, read it again without bias and prepare to laugh your ass off at the ridiculousness.

more importantly, you folks realize weve now spent 4 pages debating a bull****, over the top negative, not even well disguised smear piece, the seeds of which were mentioned days ago, but brought back to the forefront for all of Redskins nation to quibble over by an eagles fan...

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Man, this is the end. The sky has fallen, and it's only going to get worse from here. What a disaster. This is the worst we've been in years. We've gone two whole years with without winning the offseason. And what do we have to show for it? A playoff birth and two years in a row with a winning record for the first time in 20 years. Damn. Let's burn it down and ship it to L.A. as a third team there, cuz I am so done with this. I can't go two years without winning the offseason, we have been betrayed.

Rest in peace, Washington. We have suffered the fatal blow: A PFT article about a WP article saying that we're desperate. We cannot recover.

image.jpg

:):) 

2 hours ago, Birdlives said:

My god, just cut to the chase. This is a whole bunch of "well, that's just like your opinion man." Of course it is! The bottom line is that history is on my side, not yours. Does anyone really know? Only those intimately involved. It doesn't take away from the fact that its troubling, that its typical of the Snyder Redskins, and that while it doesn't prove dysfunction, it points to it. Sorry, but until this franchise proves its turned a corner by consistently winning and staying away from stuff like this, I'm not gonna give'em the benefit of the doubt. If you choose to do so, be my guest.

-Hoping you're right, concerned that your wrong.

Ok, well I'm glad you're admitting you're basing this on little to nothing, are just paranoid, and willing to ignore recent history for a past that didn't include most of these figures. 

- Knowing you're wrong even if the result is right, not concerning myself with paranoid delusions until they're not. 

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

So, I hope you're right. But at what point do we begin to trust these stories when we seem to continually get confirmation about them years later when people have moved on? I guess stated more simply, what has this organization done under Snyder to give it the benefit of the doubt when these stories break? 

So nothing has mattered in the last two years? Throw it all out the window, everything is likely the same? 

Look, I'm definitely not a Snyder guy like many here. But this is getting ridiculous. 

What story "broke" here? 

3 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

So nothing has mattered in the last two years? Throw it all out the window, everything is likely the same? 

Look, I'm definitely not a Snyder guy like many here. But this is getting ridiculous. 

What story "broke" here? 

Well, I think it's possible that the team can win sometimes despite dysfunction, don't you? Just because we win 8-9 games doesn't mean that there are no issues with Snyder or Allen. 

5 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

What story "broke" here? 

I would take the past 20 years of history over the past 2.  Snyder is Snyder.  He destroys anything good that happens to the franchise --- and has done so for 2 decades. Would I be surprised if he and his yes-man Bruce Allen want to muzzle Scot --- no way.  Scot is his own man.  Snyder & his errand boy are doing whatever they can to control the situation (i.e., Scot).  For one reason or another, the team has been successful (in redskin terms) over the past 2 years --- and has done so by doing the exact opposite of what Snyder has typically done to destroy the franchise over the past 20.  Sour grapes?  Maybe.  Scot came in and in a season and a half the team was able to do what Snyder hasn't been able to do in 20 --- have back to back winning seasons.

There is a chance the article isn't true --- but there is nothing in the past that would cause me to question it, because the entire premise is consistent with Snyder's (& whomever the current errand boy is at the time) behavior over the past 20 years.  Anything that doesn't put the attention and/or credit on him --- he destroys.

17 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

What story "broke" here? 

I hate to say it but I lean more toward Birdies opinion.  Snyder just reminds me of the Scorpion and the Frog.

A scorpion asks a frog to carry it across a river. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung, but the scorpion argues that if it did so, they would both drown. Considering this, the frog agrees, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When the frog asks the scorpion why, the scorpion replies that it was in its nature to do so.

I would not be surprised if the following happens before the combine..

1) GMSM is fired

2) Cousins is signed long term

3) Gruden gets a contract extension

I don't think Snyder/Allen like GMSM  leaking info....they want Cousins more than GMSM does.....Snyder wants to spend big in free agency...GMSM doesn't.

GMSM has not done a good job his first two years and much of the success the past two years has come from players he had nothing to do with.

I don't think GMSM style meshes with Gruden....Gruden is Allen's guy.

1 hour ago, thesubmittedone said:

Ok, well I'm glad you're admitting you're basing this on little to nothing, are just paranoid, and willing to ignore recent history for a past that didn't include most of these figures. 

- Knowing you're wrong even if the result is right, not concerning myself with paranoid delusions until they're not. 

Dude, whatever. Your point of view is just as speculative and is based on just as much fact as mine. Oh, wait, that's right, I have 15 years of history of this franchise and the way Snyder has run it. You've got 2 years that might already be falling apart. More than 1/2 of "these figures" have been here for a ton of the dysfunction. Allen and Snyder run this team, run football people out of town, and are responsible for current issues as well.

-Good thing you can admit when you know as little as everyone else while pretending you have a leg to stand on.

Archived