Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft.com bruce Allen won’t let Scot McCloughan talk to media

jphilly

3 hours ago, Morneblade said:

And the rumors will still persist until Scot speaks to them, tells everyone that was not true and they will still persist because "that is what he was supposed to say". People have their agenda.

Not really, rumours die by themselves if they are not fed up. They're simply replaced by newest rumours.

Once they're denied, they're not rumours, they're facts.

People with an agenda don't need rumours, they have an agenda. It's usually more than enough.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Chris Cooley speculates on-air about Scot McCloughan: ‘Is he drinking?’

I'm so sick of Cooley.  This is something you don't put out there unless you have a legit source.  Disgusting. 

So, I'm not as horrified about this as many seem to be. 

I heard him talk about this the other day on the radio. He clearly prefaced it by saying that he had zero knowledge of it. He then said that one potential reason that they could be muzzling McCloughan is that maybe he's struggled with drinking again. I mean, I get sick of Cooley for many reasons, but all he really did was state something that many people may have assumed themselves. He stated is CLEARLY as nothing more than a possible theory. 

I don't think a guy who's been fired at least once (maybe twice) for drinking is outside the realm of speculation about having a drinking issue. I could be wrong...I don't know the rules of radio, but these guys (Kevin and Cooley) basically just speculate for 4 hours each weekday. Including this doesn't seem horribly inappropriate given all the caveats that Cooley gave. 

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I heard him talk about this the other day on the radio. He clearly prefaced it by saying that he had zero knowledge of it. He then said that one potential reason that they could be muzzling McCloughan is that maybe he's struggled with drinking again. I mean, I get sick of Cooley for many reasons, but all he really did was state something that many people may have assumed themselves. He stated is CLEARLY as nothing more than a possible theory. 

I don't think a guy who's been fired at least once (maybe twice) for drinking is outside the realm of speculation about having a drinking issue. I could be wrong...I don't know the rules of radio, but these guys (Kevin and Cooley) basically just speculate for 4 hours each weekday. Including this doesn't seem horribly inappropriate given all the caveats that Cooley gave. 

The caveats don't mean much of anything when you have someone who is on the team's payroll speculating that the team wants to muzzle McCloughan because of a drinking problem.  The majority people that don't listen to the show are not going to hear or see the caveats, only the inflammatory speculation.  And to put this out there without a shred of proof is just straight up defamation. 

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yeah I heard the same segments.  Him and Sheehan put three theories for why Bruce is possibly keeping the lid of Scot talking -- the drinking was one of them.  But they admitted that they are just throwing stuff against the wall. 

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The caveats don't mean much of anything when you have someone who is on the team's payroll speculating that the team wants to muzzle McCloughan because of a drinking problem.  The majority people that don't listen to the show are not going to hear or see the caveats, only the inflammatory speculation.  And to put this out there without a shred of proof is just straight up defamation. 

I'm not condoning it and wouldn't do it myself (even behind the anonymity of ES). But, I just don't think it's quite as egregious as people are making it seem. He didn't say "I'll bet Scot is a drunk again" so much as he suggested one possible reason could be that he's drinking again. And, being "on the team's payroll" is just as misleading. It's not like all these guys on 980 get inside information.  

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I heard the same segments.  Him and Sheehan put three theories for why Bruce is possibly keeping the lid of Scot talking -- the drinking was one of them.  But they admitted that they are just throwing stuff against the wall. 

I understand what you are saying, but fro me that's just not something you do when in a public forum unless you have something factual to support it. Too many people will just hear what they want to hear. So when they hear - A possible reason .... - Turn into, Cooley said Scot is drinking again. It's my believe Cooley has a responsibility not to speculate on something so inflammatory.

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I understand what you are saying, but fro me that's just not something you do when in a public forum unless you have something factual to support it. Too many people will just hear what they want to hear. So when they hear - A possible reason .... - Turn into, Cooley said Scot is drinking again. It's my believe Cooley has a responsibility not to speculate on something so inflammatory.

Very reasonable...I just think it's getting blown out of proportion. 

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Yeah I agree.  My post was simply to make the point that it was pure speculation on his part -- there was zero behind it.   He even admitted that.

Right, to me it was prefaced as clearly as the thread @Tsailand started about Snyder talking to his next head coach already. There was a clear tone of "here we go with some wild speculation" to that segment just as there was to the thread. Again, maybe it's in slight poor taste given the seriousness of alcoholism, but it wasn't like he was trying to convince anyone he knew a thing. 

Cooley has very quickly devolved from a fascinating new voice in the media with insight and scheme knowledge, to an average media guy with a need for clicks, to a straight cancer. 

Which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who followed his quick decline as an NFL player, and the reasons behind it. Nobody should be surprised that he quickly settled into his new career, got comfortable, and very soon after started cutting corners and doing things he probably shouldn't be doing because he can and because it's easy and because he's a bit of a dunce who likes the spotlight. This dude has been floating along with fans on the goodwill of a few good seasons (which came during a time when more beloved players and coaches paved the way for him to also be loved) for way too long. 

14 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Cooley has very quickly devolved from a fascinating new voice in the media with insight and scheme knowledge, to an average media guy with a need for clicks, to a straight cancer. 

Which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who followed his quick decline as an NFL player, and the reasons behind it. Nobody should be surprised that he quickly settled into his new career, got comfortable, and very soon after started cutting corners and doing things he probably shouldn't be doing because he can and because it's easy and because he's a bit of a dunce who likes the spotlight. This dude has been floating along with fans on the goodwill of a few good seasons (which came during a time when more beloved players and coaches paved the way for him to also be loved) for way too long. 

It makes sense because as each season goes by, more and more of the people he played with are no longer with the team. And with Sean McVay gone I think that's all the coaches that were there when Cooley was here are gone too. The only real link would be between him and Bruce Allen and Allen doesn't come across as the leaking to the local radio guy type. MAYBE he has a relationship with Jordan Reed being they were both TEs but I doubt that. So like most media types he's had to regress into making most stuff up. I do still like his postgame film breakdowns though.

That's pretty low of Cooley, especially seeing as he drank and smoked himself out of football instead of taking care of that knee. I doubt he'd appreciate it if every time he made a baseless accusation on the radio all the fans started calling in asking if he was drinking in excess again.

Plus, talk about a boneheaded decision. It's the team's radio network he's employed by. I wouldn't be surprised if the straw that breaks the camel's back and gets him fired.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Right, to me it was prefaced as clearly as the thread @Tsailand started about Snyder talking to his next head coach already. There was a clear tone of "here we go with some wild speculation" to that segment just as there was to the thread. Again, maybe it's in slight poor taste given the seriousness of alcoholism, but it wasn't like he was trying to convince anyone he knew a thing. 

He shouldn't even be speculating about that, especially given the team has been overall successful since Scot got here. 

Would you like it if every time people perceived you as struggling at your job they speculated it's because of some flaw you overcame? Doubt it, and you'd likely have great disdain for those people, think very little of them, and that they are crass/low class. 

Doesn't matter how it was prefaced, it was baseless speculation and completely low class, and that's not the way an on-air personality for the team should conduct themselves, especially not about the team's GM. It was as stupid as it was classless.

7 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

If the front office is leaking this bull**** to push Scotty Mac out I'll be the first of many to cancel my season tickets. It would be the final blow in what has been a ****-run organization from the top down in this Snyder era. All credibility will be gone

They aren't. Cooley at least prefaced that his opinion was complete speculation. There's literally nothing out there from insiders or reporters that would even remotely suggest the team is leaking out info like that.

I think this should earn Cooley a holiday from the airways because it is very crass . Anyone hearing his comments without his disclaimers .... (yeah out of context quotes NEVER HAPPEN) will assume this is coming from somewhere . 

I do think the media is locked out . Their are taints of frustration in all the local media guys . The Washington post is determined to force this dysfunction schism to the max with now Snider pushing the same angle as Jones et al - tandler and kiem don't seem to know which way the wind is blowing and they know IF they follow this speculation with nothing backing it up they will loose credibility and be seen as boo birds trying to stifle any progress the team makes . 

There are potential concerns sure enough but people seem to think Bruce Allen is some kind of idiot . He has been around football all his life and he probably knows the stresses and destructive forces that the harsh light of media can inflict .

One thing that strikes me about Allen is he seems to believe in the football family - he reached out to Redskins alumni  that had been kind of ignored for years . He does think it is important to be involved in the community and he is a family friend of Scott going back years . My concern is Allens And the teams action might be totally innocent- but it creates a vacuum and where there is nothing people fill it with gossip.. 

speculation ... and if you want to speculate - maybe Scott is ill - something not alcohol related- maybe so one close to him is ill ... maybe his dog has gone missing maybe he is an alien (or an octopus) maybe he has fallen in a hole maybe Scott is on fire... point is speculation is what people with nothing to do are safe to do around water cooler .... you have to be much more careful when you have a media voice ... Cooley needs to think on this least his voice becomes something no one listens too . 

Should Cooley have said that... no... But when you're a team with a history of disfunction in the FO (Vinny anyone?) and you do something rediculously stupid... like muzzle your GM.  Then you should expect stuff like this.  In that regard, I blame Allen/Snyder for their crackpot scheme.  If GMSM ditches this team it's not gonna be the media's fault... it's gonna be those two Bozo's

Archived